Awoo.

Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom (iOS/Android)

Kaze no Klonoa

Sonic Dash 2 is up on the App Store, and it sounds like it was released by mistake like they did with Runners. 

I highly doubt it was a mistake, there's a trailer for it and the App Store updates on a Thursday.

Can I just say that this looks and runs MUCH better than the soft launch version? 

It's out on iOS but not Android

But it's still available on Canadian & Irish App Store. I downloaded the game on my iPhone 6+ 2 months ago.

I've been playing Dash 2 for a while, and I can safely say it's surprisingly good!

Graphics and framerate have been greatly improved since the soft launch, you can play the main game to your heart's content for free (there's a challenge mode that uses an energy meter, but you can play for fun all you want), and the gameplay itself is actually better than the first Dash! And unlike other mobile Sonic games, Dash 2 doesn't try to shove microtransactions down the player's throat. It even gives you enough Red Rings to buy Knuckles or Amy when you've finished the tutorial!

This is, sadly, the best Boom game we've gotten thus far, but it's also a massive improvement over Dash 1 and Runners. By all means, give it a try!

Hm, well I played it literally a few days ago and I didn't see much of a difference from the soft launch version. I had troubles connecting with Google Play but I assume those will be fixed with the actual launch. That aside, the menus are still awfully bland and it still feels cheap. I dunno why, but lately SEGA mobile games have felt like those really cheaply made generic phone games. That puzzle game they released recently, for example, is quite awful like that. I still think Dash 2 is fun enough though. It just could've been visually better. 

I've been playing Dash 2 for a while, and I can safely say it's surprisingly good!

Graphics and framerate have been greatly improved since the soft launch, you can play the main game to your heart's content for free (there's a challenge mode that uses an energy meter, but you can play for fun all you want), and the gameplay itself is actually better than the first Dash! And unlike other mobile Sonic games, Dash 2 doesn't try to shove microtransactions down the player's throat. It even gives you enough Red Rings to buy Knuckles or Amy when you've finished the tutorial!

This is, sadly, the best Boom game we've gotten thus far, but it's also a massive improvement over Dash 1 and Runners. By all means, give it a try!

Glad I'm not the only one who is quite impressed with this new sequel. I'm liking it more than the first, and it's not flawed or a gameplay mess like Sonic Runners. 

Omg! Sonic Boom 2 has an Apple Watch companion app! This is soooo cool! Testing it now! =D

As it turns out, Dash 2 is not completely structurally sound. 

First of all, the "losing Rings" sound effect is delayed by a few seconds. Second, I encountered a glitch where Amy grabbed an Enerbeam power-up, only to get stuck in the floor, forcing me to quit. And when I started a new game, I was put at that same spot! Half the time, a bomb spawned in front of me, instantly killing me. The other half, the branching pathway ahead was blocked by an invisible barrier. I had to reset the game to escape this bug.

Hopefully this was just an anomaly and not a sign that Boom is forever doomed to have bad, broken games.

so, it comes in 4 days on android, i heard its pretty fun

Edited by Diamond Knight

As it turns out, Dash 2 is not completely structurally sound. 

First of all, the "losing Rings" sound effect is delayed by a few seconds. Second, I encountered a glitch where Amy grabbed an Enerbeam power-up, only to get stuck in the floor, forcing me to quit. And when I started a new game, I was put at that same spot! Half the time, a bomb spawned in front of me, instantly killing me. The other half, the branching pathway ahead was blocked by an invisible barrier. I had to reset the game to escape this bug.

Hopefully this was just an anomaly and not a sign that Boom is forever doomed to have bad, broken games.

I haven't noticed anything drastic, the only error I had was it crashed on me once, but it felt like one of those typical crashes that happens on too many IOS software. Even the first Sonic Dash had that error. One thing for sure, the game is much more stable than that mess that is Sonic Runners. I only had one crash, and that was it, I've had no other problems. Luckily the crash only happened about 30 seconds after getting into the game, so I didn't lose any progress. There's nothing worse than when a game crashes on you, after putting so much time and effort, only to lose that, because of the developer's rushed releases, and lack of commitment to ensure their releases are well tested before released. 

Ever since 3.0.0, I've noticed a significant grapics downgrade. The trees are much lower-poly, the background textures have been overall reduced and the villagers are gone from the village.

Hey! I saw the price for buying Tails & Sticks has been changed since Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom Ver. 1.0.1 was released. During the soft launch, you can buy Tails & Sticks for 50 RSRs & 70 RSRs respectively, and now they cost 70 RSRs & 50 RSRs respectively.

Guys, holy shit. I think I have encountered the first game breaking glitch.

Since I don't have any pictures leading up to the event, I'll have to describe it.

Basically, it's a normal run using Sonic with a Level 7 Iom sprite (110% more enerbeam pickups), and I pick up a randomly placed enerbeam, with a spring nearby. I go into the enerbeam phase, which has fused with the rails from the spring, and there is nothing. I get placed back down immediately, and I pick up another enerbeam. It does it again, because the rails are still up there. Put back down, and then I pick up ANOTHER enerbeam. I eventually found out it was because the game put me back in the same place I came up.

This is when I could finally get a picture, because I paused.

NDlPFx4.jpg

Hangin' on nothing.

At this point, the game literally spazzed out, sending me up and down several times in a split second.

Suddenly...

stPnxPS.png

poof

Hey, uh, where's the ground? It's gone.

I could not go left or right, only straight. I could jump, but if I rolled, I would keep rolling until I jump. The score counter did not move, just stayed at 72,555. After a while, I noticed the background going down. And then I realised something else. I'm running up.

bZ0f2mk.png

See the blue thing at the bottom? That's the playing area.

Well I give up. I'm going to restart my run.

Alright, there's Eggm- wat

tAXPnBt.jpg

You're going down Egg-BUHH!

what the fuck was that

The game started a new run in the same place as the previous run. The enerbeam pickup was infront of an obstacle, so I'd immediately run into that. And since the opening cutscene has no player control, I was stuck in this loop. Every single time.

It wasn't until I restarted that things went back to normal.

I have no idea what happened, but it was a real mindfuck.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's Sonic Boom, what did you expected?

It's the first version of the game. This is most likely going to get fixed in an update soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Android version is better?

Also, what are those blue orbs? Do they boost the dash meter?

yep

rings do not fill it

They're like the orbs from Sonic and the Secret Rings, basically. Fill 'em up to do the dashy doo. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So this game is apparently pretty poor on iOS.

Draw distance? What's that?

He is using an iPad mini. As in the first iPad mini. iPad mini 2 and above should be okay. The iOS version's draw distance in newer devices is great. (I have an iPhone 6s and its draw distance is like the Android screenshot here)

I expect the draw distance also to be poor on iPhone 4s, iPad 2/3/4, iPod Touch 5 and maybe iPhone 5.

Edited by Ming Ming Yuigahama
  • Thumbs Up 3