Awoo.

Aaron Webber's first interview since returning to SEGA of America!

Barry the Nomad

Alright, so since I'm obviously really wanting to know, lol.. I have a question about all of this, Ruby.

Why do they see it as two worlds? I mean, they haven't always viewed it that way, have they? Otherwise, there's no real way to explain why Angel Island or whatever other areas exist in the human world (Sonic X explanations not counting since they're not game-canon), amongst other things, like how they even get there, let alone why they go there to begin with.

Like said, I know Naka didn't really view it this way either, going by how he stated that Adventure was about him going to the "mainland" of some sorts. Since that's a pretty simple and straight-forward answer, how come they chose this path to take? Is there any really good reason?

And yeah, you could always seperate it into eras and go from there for the sake of your sanity, but I feel like that breaks the ability to take the series any bit seriously since there's nothing that connects anything to one another. 

I know you probably couldn't answer this too much (either due to classified info and/or incoming migranes, lol) but I'm just genuinely curious why Iizuka or anyone at Sonic Team had gone in this direction.

PS: A+++++ job on the Twitter / FB / Tumblr you're the hero we deserve

It's a good question, but you'd have to get that one straight from the source, I think!

Personally, I think it's a little bit like trying to force logic into something that doesn't really need that logic or heavy scrutiny involved with it. But, because we often like to try to connect the dots and build in our own minds this bigger world (and I'm the same, actually), we often find ourselves looking for these patterns and connections. I think that what matters more is whether we enjoy the particular game or the story that that game is telling, as it relates to the world in which the story is set. Sometimes having a bigger connection and an over-arching world can add to that, and offers you chances to do fun things with continuity and storytelling.

From the Genesis era to the Dreamcast to beyond, quite a few games have had storylines that don't make sense if you try to place them in a timeline or a world with all the rest. The same can often be said about a number of other games and franchises - and, of course, also applies to any Jurassic Park movie after the first one*. (*With Jurassic World as a potential exception, depending on what you thought of it! :)

• Thumbs Up 3

I get ya. 

Personally I don't want to take it too seriously myself (I kind of cut every main game from 2003 - 2007 out of my personal canon so I don't guess I do too much lmao), but I just feel like something more cohesive would be nice.

I really do like that part of simple things where we come up with our own backstories on things, but I feel like this series gives us such mixed messages compared to other ones that it's a bit.. difficult, to say the least.

As long as none of this "two worlds" thing is explicitly ever stated in the games, then I guess it'd be fine and I can make my own assumptions on how things run, but it'll still get to me a bit. I'm just confused why it has to be this way more than anything.

It depends, do you defend it no matter how bad the games are?

I'm always so torn on this kind of thing.

On one hand I know fans of stuff can be over defensive of things and that sucks because criticism is important for healthy discussion. I mean otherwise it's just "this game is the best thing ever" over and over again, which doesn't really help anyone, especially if the game in question really does have problems.

On the other hand the solution to that in fandoms' minds tends to be that nobody is allowed to defend an installment if the general consensus (pfft) is that it's a bad game, and I...can't say I'm a fan of that. Is it that hard to believe that people can see the good in things?

What I'm saying is, going off of something Shaddy said, even if Aaron made a post on the Sonic twitter tomorrow that was promoting Sonic '06 or whatever, who cares? (I mean that'd be weird for a lot of reasons even ignoring the game itself, but you get what I'm saying.) It still wouldn't make him a "fanboy". And frankly I consider that term perfectly applicable to people who are overly negative about the franchise too, but I guess that's a whole other can of worms.

Besides, the real issue with Aaron is the memes, and those died down mostly. :V Also that lazy "loltrigger" joke he made in the tags of that one post on the Sonic tumblr, but whatever

EDIT: Oh hey I didn't realize he was here.

...*shrug*

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's funny how this topic was mostly about the problem in Sonic's World lacking a consistent name, while simultaneously proving the whole point brought up as to why they settled on "Sonic's World" in the first place.

Granted, no telling whether that was actually the case behind the name change, but it does seem to reinforce that implication.

I have a question. Hopefully one that doesn't cross into something to sensitive.

How goes the current connection with Sega of America and Sega of Japan? Seems like there's a bit of clashing at times when it comes to working on Sonic given the multiple media we've had over the years.

Yep, no problem Chaos!

I e-mail the guys at SEGA of Japan / Sonic Team on a daily basis, and talk to them pretty regularly. Granted, I'm just one person, and sometimes we do have different opinions on things, but I think it would be the same anywhere and with any team of people. Often those varying opinions can be good - the early 90's and Sonic's changes at the time speak to that well.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well if we're asking questions in the possibility they might be answered...

Can there be any formal deconfirmation of the Sonic Boom event for this year?

It's never been announced this late before, which leads me to believe the event is taking a break for 2015.

I still think the true question is when Sega will make Rog and Ammie Tennis from the McDonald's commercial into a full game.

They could even make Rouge's Boom!design look like the ad! Amirite?!

• Thumbs Up 1

While I do prefer Sonic's world just being Fantasy Earth, I think, in the end, it doesn't really matter. The games will never mention that there are two worlds or whatever, so it doesn't really effect things. If they want to make a game with humans like Adventure, they would and vice versa.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll just pretend this was never said, and keep on calling Sonic's World Earth like I always did, since it was the way the Adventure games, Heroes and Shadow The Hedgehog, not to mention the Advance games, called it. An "Earth" like Dragon Ball's Earth, but "Earth" nevertheless. After all, none of this will be ever said in the games. I hope.

By the way, Mr. Webbers, if you're reading this, I love your work with the Sonic Twitter. Such a riot.

• Thumbs Up 6

Hey Ruby. If you're still taking questions. I haven't had a chance to listen to the interview yet (just got home from work, and work is my usual "listen to podcasts" time). I apologize if I'm asking things that were asked already.

I saw a user on the first page mention a Sonic art book. I know there's an "Art Of" book coming out on the Archie side of things, but is there a good chance of getting one from the game series? Having a nice big book to pore over the concept and promotional art for the main games would be wonderful. It seems like a tough thing to rally people behind to let SEGA / Sonic Team know there is interest, but I for one would love it.  Could tie it in as a 25th anniversary product, perhaps? Maybe even take it a step further and have "The Art of Sonic Team" to include things like NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Billy Hatcher, etc. I bought a similar book for Naughty Dog recently and it's a delight. A Sonic (Team) book to that end would be great. 

Secondly, coming from years of Chao ProBoard forums I have to ask...Chao Garden smartphone app when? Featuring Big the Cat as the caretaker, of course. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, I'd really like to know the original Japanese statement on the "two worlds" thing, because Japanese is so ambiguous, Iizuka could've meant virtually anything from "two planets" to "two dimensions" to "two continents" depending on context (unless he'd used a very specific term, which we don't know). 

Anyway, I suppose Marcello is right in that it doesn't really matter until it's actually being referred to in the games. But it also doesn't really help people/writers create a consistent canon for the current gameverse when it never is.

Aaron sure opened a can of worms there...

(Also, I think the 4chan guy just mentioned 'Mobius' for lack of an official term. I'm perfectly sure the planet isn't supposed to be called 'Mobius' in Game canon...).

Everyone stop the topic...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xxOviBI-8fc

It's a certain community persons birthday... at least according to the data I have.

Also don't pay any attention to these naysayers Mr W. We've seen you demonstrate on more than one occasion that you're more than qualified to be in your role.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well if we're asking questions in the possibility they might be answered...

Can there be any formal deconfirmation of the Sonic Boom event for this year?

It's never been announced this late before, which leads me to believe the event is taking a break for 2015.

No confirmation just yet. Hoping to have a concrete answer one way or the other soon though!

I still think the true question is when Sega will make Rog and Ammie Tennis from the McDonald's commercial into a full game.

They could even make Rouge's Boom!design look like the ad! Amirite?!

Ryan, y u do dis.

But for real, I think that Cream bufflowercatch, or whatever that's supposed to be, could probably inspire a full length, 60-hour RPG. I'd play it!

By the way, Mr. Webbers, if you're reading this, I love your work with the Sonic Twitter. Such a riot.

Appreciate it. :) Thanks, Naldush!

Hey Ruby. If you're still taking questions. I haven't had a chance to listen to the interview yet (just got home from work, and work is my usual "listen to podcasts" time). I apologize if I'm asking things that were asked already.

I saw a user on the first page mention a Sonic art book. I know there's an "Art Of" book coming out on the Archie side of things, but is there a good chance of getting one from the game series? Having a nice big book to pore over the concept and promotional art for the main games would be wonderful. It seems like a tough thing to rally people behind to let SEGA / Sonic Team know there is interest, but I for one would love it.  Could tie it in as a 25th anniversary product, perhaps? Maybe even take it a step further and have "The Art of Sonic Team" to include things like NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Billy Hatcher, etc. I bought a similar book for Naughty Dog recently and it's a delight. A Sonic (Team) book to that end would be great. 

Secondly, coming from years of Chao ProBoard forums I have to ask...Chao Garden smartphone app when? Featuring Big the Cat as the caretaker, of course. 

We got on the topic of art books, and the hosts mentioned they would really love to see one. Since I sit next to the licensing group, I promised I'd share the idea and see if we could get something going. It's not a confirmation, and these things can take a lot of time, but for my part, I will see what we can do!

Everyone stop the topic...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xxOviBI-8fc

It's a certain community persons birthday... at least according to the data I have.

Also don't pay any attention to these naysayers Mr W. We've seen you demonstrate on more than one occasion that you're more than qualified to be in your role.

Ah! Someone spotted it. Your data is correct. :) Thanks for the Birthday wishes!

• Thumbs Up 9

Ryan, y u do dis.

But for real, I think that Cream bufflowercatch, or whatever that's supposed to be, could probably inspire a full length, 60-hour RPG. I'd play it!

Now, all I can imagine is the Chaos finally making their return to consoles, only to look like the McDonald's commercial. That'd be so funny.

Happy birthday by the way! 

No confirmation just yet. Hoping to have a concrete answer one way or the other soon though!

I guess I'll just have to follow social media until then!

That gives me hope though, if nothing else. Thank you for the reply. :)

Yep, no problem Chaos!

I e-mail the guys at SEGA of Japan / Sonic Team on a daily basis, and talk to them pretty regularly. Granted, I'm just one person, and sometimes we do have different opinions on things, but I think it would be the same anywhere and with any team of people. Often those varying opinions can be good - the early 90's and Sonic's changes at the time speak to that well.

Quite frankly I don't know whether it's more baffling that SEGA just expects us to accept this whole two worlds thing after 25 years of indicating nothing of the sort, or that they think such an explanation is necessary in the first place.

I mean I guess I can see where their coming from. The various locales we've seen in Sonic games do possess different terrain and play home to different species, which doesn't happen at all in real life. I mean if you go to China, Australia, Egypt, and Antarctica they all look the same and possess the same flora and fauna. Go to any one of these places and you can see kangaroos, pandas, penguins and jackals frolicking among the bamboo shoots and papyrus sedge.

Oh wait, no they don't, and no you can't, because geographical and ecological diversity are things which exist.

I've always maintained that Sonic's Earth is simply an exaggerated version of our own, because no matter how surreal it can get always remains at least somewhat grounded in recognizable features of our own world (at least until Lost World decided to throw in doughnut dimension) and because our world can get pretty surreal too. To say that Sonic's world can't be Earth because of how outlandish it can be, or that being Earth is a limitation on what can be done with the series from a setting standpoint is kind of ridiculous considering that our Earth has it's own share of seemingly outlandish features. For example, loop-de-loops can occur naturally (just ask anyone who's ever visited Arches National Park), and I'll be damned if this isn't checkerboard soil (okay, technically it's not, it's sandstone but the point stands).
Checkerboard%20Mesa,%20Zion.jpg
  • Thumbs Up 1

I thought the whole thing with Station Square was the developers saying "you know those cities you see in the background of some Sonic stages? What if the player actually got to go there?" instead of it being another world?

Or am I misunderstanding something there?

The whole "Sonic's World" comment Eggman makes could actually make more sense in the context of two worlds. One with the Fuzzies and the other with humans. Though, it'd be reallllly confusing given Adventure 1 having the fuzzies, living on Earth back in primitive times.

Okay, my brain just spiraled out here.

Aaron, sent you a message. Now I'm going to bury my own head on the earth like an ostrich due to shame on myself.