Awoo.

Aaron Webber's first interview since returning to SEGA of America!

Barry the Nomad

Granted, while I like the Master Emerald aspect to his character, I do think they sort of cornered themselves into a wall with it, because it does give Knuckles very little to work off of otherwise. 

Actually, no it doesn't. It's the exact opposite.

The Master Emerald is essentially an overpowered Chaos Emerald. Considering there's way too many things they've already done with the Chaos Emeralds, it's rather mindboggling as to how the ME gives Knuckles little to work with when there's equally, if not more things you could work with on this one thing alone.

Nevermind the entire island itself. That's one of the saving graces of Sonic Chronicles expanding on the backstory behind Knuckles' ancestral past, and as a result giving him more to work off of.

The key here is to actually make more to work with. Kinda like what they've been doing for everything else while neglecting others, which is a major reason they've cornered themselves in the first place for many other things we have a beef with.

My overall point was that when you give Knuckles an unchanging duty to simply guard the Master Emerald and that essentially becomes the whole point of his existence, as was suggested to be the case in SA1 and 2, then that is limiting to his character, not the existence of the Master Emerald itself.