Awoo.

RED ASH- Mega Man Legends Spiritual Successor?

Dejimon11

Well we've made it past the 100,000 mark. at least 700,000 more to go. 

Also a new question was added to their FAQ page. 

Firstly, it is important to point out that this is a completely new project, and the main staff (including Ito and Yasuma) are not involved in the development of Mighty No. 9. 
We are hoping to work together with our fans around the world to build another new IP, just as we did with Mighty. No. 9. We see this as a title that needs community support to be made, for a variety of reasons!

Also did anyone else notice this little symbol around Beck's foot?

tumblr_nqzmoqn2Qq1sjr9huo1_100.png

This just doesn't do a heck of a lot for me, and certainly isn't going to get Megaman off the moon.  This is a case of where I'd rather have the original.  

I can tell this Kickstarter is not as popular as the Mighty No. 9 one. Hmmm, I WONDER WHY?

Just sitting here going "Whatever" and not giving a shit.

Kyle Bossman talks about the Red Ash KS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7BvBrIbq0E

• Thumbs Up 1

So when this Kickstarter fails (or "if" if you prefer I be more optimistic) do you think that they will go ahead and make the game anyway? 

Theme song BABY

Really digging the theme. It feels like it has the jazzy vibe of MvC2.

So when this Kickstarter fails (or "if" if you prefer I be more optimistic) do you think that they will go ahead and make the game anyway? 

Y'know, honestly? I like this. I like Mighty No.9. I like Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained.

I get that people might not. It's understandable. They want their favourite series to continue, not get replaced with like-for-like characters.

But for me, games like Red Ash are a chance to be part of something from the ground up, since I missed the original series' the first time around. By the time I got into Megaman, the series was just about dead. And Legends is bloody expensive to get hold of for a title I'm not sure I'll even enjoy. If they'd just put it on PSN or something... But that's another topic altogether.

Maybe I'm just overly optimistic, but I hope Inafune keeps going with these crazy endeavours.

...Just, maybe don't start planning movies before the game is even released. :V

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know, honestly? I like this. I like Mighty No.9. I like Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained.

I get that people might not. It's understandable. They want their favourite series to continue, not get replaced with like-for-like characters.

But for me, games like Red Ash are a chance to be part of something from the ground up, since I missed the original series' the first time around. By the time I got into Megaman, the series was just about dead. And Legends is bloody expensive to get hold of for a title I'm not sure I'll even enjoy. If they'd just put it on PSN or something... But that's another topic altogether.

Maybe I'm just overly optimistic, but I hope Inafune keeps going with these crazy endeavours.

...Just, maybe don't start planning movies before the game is even released. :V

The difference between Mighty No. 9 and Yooka-Laylee is that MN9 primarily capitalizes on Capcom's neglect of the Mega Man series and little else. It was announced in the wake of the cancellation of several Mega Man games following Inafune's departure, and there was no better opportunity to get people hyped for a game filled by that recently-created void. We otherwise haven't seen any real indication that Comcept is capable of providing for us a game that evolves beyond Mega Man's foundations, as opposed to simply copying it just to satisfy our (admittedly shallow) need for a new Mega Man entry.

Yooka-Laylee, on the other hand, is doing more than giving us a new Banjo game we've been asking for for years: it's revitalizing an entire genre of game that very few other devs have bothered attempting. 3D collect-a-thons are just things that don't happen anymore, and someone is stepping up to the plate and attempting this extremely risky move for the sake of making a game that players want to play and creators want to create. That is immensely far more important than giving us a new game in a single dormant series that isn't even the best in its own genre. There's also the fact that it's not a 1:1 replication of Banjo, as both lead characters have their unique abilities that seem different from their predecessors' despite fulfilling similar roles. The YL devs have proven up-front that they have the repertoire and talent to produce a high-quality game just as they did years ago, particularly since they had as much involvement in the old games as they do in the one they are currently making, vastly unlike Inafune.

• Thumbs Up 4

Grab your torches and pitchforks 

"Red Ash Kickstarter adds single console stretch goal

posted on 07.08.15 at 09:07 PM EDT by Sal Romano (@salromano)
Action RPG will be ported to one console at $1 million funded.

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Red-Ash-Adds-Console-Stretch-Goal_001-600x338.jpg

Red-Ash-Adds-Console-Stretch-Goal_001-60

The Kickstarter campaign for Comcept’s Mega Man Legends successor Red Ash: The Indelible Legend has added a stretch goal for a console port.

At $1 million funded, Red Ash will be ported to one additional console. As for which console that might be, that’s something that Comcept says it “needs to negotiate with the console makers.”

“Ideally we would love to port the game to all 3 current home consoles: PS4/Xbox One/Wii U,” a blog post reads. “But porting Mighty No.9 taught us exactly how much it costs to port to a single console (which includes not only the port work itself, but also debugging and all other costs that add up). We take our ports seriously, and though there may be some sticker shock at the cost, we are planning wisely with the money from your support!

“Most importantly, we want to port Red Ash to the console most wished for by our backers. We will put up a preliminary poll soon, so you can make your voice heard and let our team know where you want Red Ash on consoles first! Then, once the campaign ends, we will send a survey to make your final vote! The survey will only be available to backers, so be sure to tell everyone you can about this big news!”

A second stretch goal was also added. At $1.5 million funded, Episodes IV and V of the game will be developed and released.

Finally, tonight’s update brings a new concept image, this one showing Call with Gofer in her motorcycle’s sidecar.

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Red-Ash-Adds-Console-Stretch-Goal_002-600x450.jpg

Red-Ash-Adds-Console-Stretch-Goal_002-60

Read More

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/07/red-ash-kickstarter-adds-single-console-stretch-goal#yURQRXi40oFTyLlE.99

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/red-ash-kickstarter-adds-single-console-stretch-goal

I don't get why people are up in arms over that.

It makes perfect sense to me that they'd only add one console as the stretch goal. Porting costs a LOT of money to do. Rather than promise three platforms on the onset, they're gonna put one as a goal for now and pick the most popular one. Sure it sucks they can only focus on one, but I'd rather keep expectations in check and for them not to get in over their heads on this. I want it to be good.

The thing is people were asking for it, they responded. They didn't have to add the stretch goal but people wanted it...it's not like we are losing anything from it. Originally there wasn't even gonna BE a console port right off the bat. I think the key difference between this kickstarter and the Mighty No.9 kickstarter is that they learned something important - don't try and jam in 100000 stretch goals. Seeing as Mighty No.9 was their first kickstarter they probably got too wrapped up in the hype train and overpromised and are now underdelivering (for some folks, to me I am still excited for Mighty No.9).

This is a more realistic kickstarter. It's saying "hey we can make a base game here, a prologue - don't get too hyped up here but please help us make it". The stretch goals so far have only been more of the area being developed through different episodes. There isn't anything crazy like boss rushes and multiplayer modes or anything yet. No dumb cosmetic stretch goals or alternate music or anything - it all relates to the base game. The cost on the kickstarter should probably also be way higher than it is even for what they're making, which I think is partially game devs fault because its given people the wrong expectation of just how much it costs to make a game.

I think If people are gonna get pissy over this then they really need to speak with game devs and learn how this shit works. I don't work in games but I know many many many many many people who do and so I sort of see what goes on a lot. A friend of mine who makes games for a living was ranting about this on twitter saying people don't understand the costs involved and I have to agree with him.

• Thumbs Up 1

While the "undetermined console" approach makes sense from a collective, organisational perspective, where you let backers decide what they most want, then it's harder to commit to from an individual perspective - do you want to back a game you don't even know you'll be able to play?

Pretty sure the problem is that the one console is unknown.

Correct, nobody wants to spend money and then not be able to play it because other backers voted for the one console you didn't have.

Did they really think this through when they made that goal? Having one console version for staff/time/money reasons is okay but pick one or have it voted before the campaign ends.

What a mess.

What a mess.

Basically summed it up.

I'm 110% sure that Bloodstained : Ritual of the Night was handled far better than either MN.9 or Red Ash. Not that I'm personally mad, I just think they could have went about this in a much different/better/organized way.

So we're all in agreement that they just had no idea how to do this, just said fuck it and threw stuff out and saw what stuck?

Why now, why not after MN9 is out?

MN9 is finished. It's not released because Digital Silver is still working on translations, and Inti might be double-checking that everything works for the second playable character, but comcept's work is basically done.  So either comcept lays off some staff, or they start on a new game. This is how development studios have always worked though - you don't wait to see how well a game does before you start on the next one, you have to keep moving forward.

Additionally, why are people saying "they should have waited until MN9 was out" like MN9 would tell us a single thing about what to expect from Red Ash?

There's almost no overlap between the development teams.  MN9 was put together by people with a kind of hodge-podge background on Mega Man games, with a director that had done a few MM Network games but no 2D platformers. Let me repeat that: there were people on the team that had 2D platformers, but the director wasn't one of them.  Now how does that compare to Red Ash? Ha.

There is no comparison. This is a vastly superior team.

All the key crew on Red Ash are people that worked on Legends.

The director, Masahiro Yasuma, has a long list of credentials as a director, but the part of his resume to look at first is that he was in charge of event design on Legends 1.  Anyone remember the "kick the can" Easter Egg?  That was him. Along with a bunch of other little touches that made that "open world" feel more real (right down to being able to find some dirty magazines if you looked hard enough). In fact he did a good enough job fleshing the world out that they put him in charge of second Legends game, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne.  So MN9 had a director that had never done a platformer (frankly I think it turned out decent despite that), whereas the guy in charge of Red Ash is arguably the most qualified person from the Legends crew to put in charge of Red Ash. After all, he was in charge of Misadventures, the Legends game that didn't star Mega Man and had to do things a bit differently.  Who better to work on a game where you need things to be sort of the same but at the same time strike out in a new direction?

The people leading the art team worked on Legends.  The User Interface designer worked on Legends.  The composer, okay, she didn't work on Legends, just on obscure games like Mega Man and Shovel Knight.

You could hardly ask for a better group of people to work on this team, honestly.

This is a RIPOFF of Legends!

This is a game with people that WORKED on Legends in almost all the key development positions. These are some of the actual human beings that MADE Legends.  Capcom is a company, a company that took Legends 3 and threw it in the trash, then had the unmitigated gall to turn around and blame the cancellation on the fans, and has since then refused to do anything with Legends.

How in the world can anyone look at a bunch of people that WORKED on Legends and say "how dare you rip off Legends! You're stealing an idea from the people that worked on Legends (including you guys)."  If Capcom was run by competent people the Red Ash team wouldn't have to resort to this.

Capcom is not run by competent people.   Like I said, it's run by people that will throw a game in the trash then say "the fans killed it, not us."  Sorry, but I'm siding with the artists and not the corporation.

Inafune is getting ahead of himself with the cartoon and movie

The cartoon and film companies sought HIM out, and offered to buy licensing rights.  What should he have done, said "no, keep your filthy money, I won't let anyone make a cartoon or movie until the game is out!  Sure that's gambling with my employees livelihood, but for some reason taking this money you're offering me would be seen as greedy"?

C'mon, be reasonable.  Comcept is NOT a company with a lot of money in the bank, of course they jumped at the licensing opportunity.  They probably took that money and used it to come up with concept art and the like for a few things (maybe Recore was one of them).

Inafune Inafune Inafune, I hate Inafune, he's a business man!

He's pretty much just writing the checks on this.  The people actually making the game are Legends staffers.  If your hatred of Inafune is greater than your respect for the people that worked on those games, then frankly that's kinda messed up.

Why the anime? That's so stupid!

Some people expressed dissatisfaction with the models used in MN9.  

For Red Ash, Comcept staff came up with concepts and character designs.

Studio4C turned those designs into 3D models and is working on an animation.  They were able to save money by using Comcept's ideas and designs.

Comcept is able to take those 3D models and are going to be able to save money using those models, with some tweaks, as models used in the game.

It's a pity that people seem a little against the idea, because it really is a clever way for smaller indie companies to achieve more by pooling resources.

This timing was  terrible!

This timing was terrible.

• Thumbs Up 2

This reminds me- with Dina gone, who's the PR person now? Did one of you mod guys get a promotion, or was it an external hiring?

Just think for a moment. The reason why I said that they should of waited till the Mighty No.9 came out is because of the what if probability that MN9 actually sucks? If it didn't work the first time why should people give money to comcept again? Also Damo the last part of your post pretty much contradicted the first thing you were saying. 

Honest opinion here.

I think they should cancel this Kickstarter and re-launch it in about a month or two. No not because Mighty No. 9 is out, but because it's so obvious this campaign was thrown together with minimal thought behind it. They figured like MN9 people would again throw money at it, but in MN9's case backers had an idea of what to expect. (though I guess this could apply to Bloodstained, Yooka-laylee, and Shenmue III too)

In Red Ash's case it's a much more ambitious project that needs some sort of prototype to help convey your intended vision.