Awoo.

RED ASH- Mega Man Legends Spiritual Successor?

Dejimon11

It's still probably getting funded, mind. Don't see why they'd cancel it.

the game at least, dunno the show

I think they should cancel this Kickstarter and re-launch it in about a month or two.

Not a hope in hell I'm afraid.

If it was just comcept working on this, that might be doable, although they'd be taking a big risk since if they shut everything down, retooled, relaunched and still didn't meet their goals it would be a massive blow to the company.  But it's not just comcept working on this, they have partners like Studio4C and HYDE.  There's too many things to juggle to just pull the plug and ask for a do-over.

Just think for a moment. The reason why I said that they should of waited till the Mighty No.9 came out is because of the what if probability that MN9 actually sucks? If it didn't work the first time why should people give money to comcept again? Also Damo the last part of your post pretty much contradicted the first thing you were saying. 

Not really.  You can acknowledge that it's a bad time to have a kickstarter while also saying the company had reasons for doing it now.

Development on MN9 is basically over at least as far as comcept is concerned.  They have to start something new.  They had to start setting this up a while ago, contacting partners, scheduling when and where they'd make their announcements, getting everything ready for the pitch.  They knew about Bloodstained in advance (and even helped it out a little), but Shenmue III?  That completely blindsided them.  But they were stuck with announcing their kickstarter now, they couldn't juggle things much.  And then Legendary Digital Media picked the worst possible time to announce the Mighty No. 9 movie (which some people don't seem to realize is basically a made-for-tv movie), creating the false impression that comcept has plenty of money (or SPENT backer money making the movie, which is completely wrong), and also making people say Inafune is "moving too fast" when he really just did what any reasonable person would've done.

The people running the kickstarter made some big mistakes, that's absolutely true.  But some of what happened here was just bad luck.  Same thing happened with Shantae to some extent; they figured they'd have no problem raising tons of funds, and then they got blindsided by MN9 the same way Red Ash got blindsided by Shenmue.

All of that  said, if MN9 did indeed actually suck, why would that make you assume Red Ash would too?

It's a completely different team.  They work for the same company, true, but the actual people that would be making the game are different.  And, quite frankly, are arguably a better match to this project that the MN9 team were to that project. While I've enjoyed what I've played and seen of MN9, there's no denying that MN9 had an odd choice for it's director. Koji Imaeda is young and relatively inexperienced.  He was a designer on Mega Man: Star Force 2 and 3 on DS, and was design lead for "EXE Operate Shooting Star" (which was only released in Japan, as you can probably tell from the name), and as far as I was able to determine that's his whole resume.  It was definitely a conscious choice to let some younger talent have a crack at things, he had some more experienced people supporting him, and I think it turned out well from what I've seen, but it's still not the ideal resume for someone directing a 2D platformer.

Red Ash is directed by Masahiro Yasuma, who, to be blunt, DOES have the ideal resume for someone directing a game in the mold of Legends.  He was the one who did the lion's share of the work on MML1 making the "open world" feel interactive and real by putting in all those events.  He was in charge of The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, the second game in the Legends series.  He has an extremely long resume just as a director, compared to Imaeda's extremely short resume.  And the rest of the team on this is also a better match,with people that worked on Legends in many of the main art/design positions.

It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to say that you can guess how Red Ash will turn out based on MN9.  It's different people making the game.

who's the PR person now?

There's no one person in charge, to my knowledge - the work is spread between people.  That said, Joshua Weatherford worked on the Nightcry kickstarter.  Nightcry is a "spiritual successor" that was following up on Clocktower, which is a game I've never even heard of that apparently never got a release outside of Japan.  That campaign was dead in the water and Joshua helped turn it around and get the game funded.  This campaign's doing better than that one but not as well as comcept had hoped, so I think everyone's starting to defer to the guy that helped turn around a kickstarter that was going badly and somehow managed to get funding for a spiritual sequel to a game never even released in America.  I could be wrong though.

Edited by damo
  • Thumbs Up 1

All the key crew on Red Ash are people that worked on Legends

Yoshinori Kawano, the actual mastermind behind the Legends franchise, is not involved in this. That's already a glaring omission as far as I'm concerned.

But frankly it doesn't matter how many names they had that worked on Legends when they've shown nothing to convince people. A name is just a name. Inafune isn't treating this project and the names behind it with the respect it deserves. Right now its just empty promises hidden behind shady stretch goals.

You figure comcept might try to understand why this kickstarter's not being the success they wanted? Because it's not just "bad luck", surely. That's the easy answer out.

Wow! that looks....generic. i can't put my hands on this but I've seen this dynamic before, and seeing how shallow it looks here annoys me.

.....So it's come to this. The Red Ash Kickstarter posted an update which featured artwork of a moe girl wearing scantily clad plate bikini(?). https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend/posts/1296535

Hidden Content

Good reason for me not to fund this game if there ever was one.

I normally don't care much about designs but my god that one is just horrible and unrealistic. 

Ask Mr. Horse what I think about this. 

This is all so idiosyncratic, their reuse of Legends designs in ways that seems so strange to Legends players, like it was designed for people who haven't played it.

and yeah I swear this cast dynamic is from something. The tiesel guy reminds me a lot of Bato, for example. 

I've never played a Legends game before but I'm pretty certain there wasn't a character that looked like that. Ever. Seriously, that's a terrible look.

They must be desperate lol

I've never played a Legends game before but I'm pretty certain there wasn't a character that looked like that. Ever. Seriously, that's a terrible look.

They must be desperate lol

Gotta get dat demographic son.

If you actually read the text, it doesn't seem that girl is actually going to be part of Red Ash. It's just a joke about how the art director is ugly so they have a cute girl instead of him appear for the interview.

I mean, shit on this over Inafune's money-grubbing and bad timing, not out of a misguided sense of moral superiority due to a character that's not in the game, heaven's sake. Plenty to be outraged otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 2

The game finally made it past the 400,000 mark. I still don't see it being a success though.

Not a huge one, but they have a few things planned.

The overall idea is to have this kickstarter fund the smaller "prologue" game (sort of like the demo that Legends 3 had lined up), with the intention of using that to shop around to publishers and get the bigger Red Ash game they have in mind planned.

At first they didn't want to offer a pledge tier for the "expanded" game that they hope a publisher will let them make, because it could make negotiations tricky ("hey want to back a game that we've already sold copies of? You won't be getting money from those copies") but then they decided that if they pay up the difference themselves it wouldn't get in the way of negotiations.  So they're offering the expanded game as a tier.  And everyone who already pledged at least $49 (or pledges that much today, before the price goes up) gets it.

There's some other things in the works apparently, but I figure people should hear about this one-day "sale," especially since they can always pull out their backing later if they change their minds.

I dunno, it feels more like blood in the water. "The Kickstarter's doing so badly and is so awfully done they're having to change their plans midway to try and get moore money!". Curious to see if there'll actually be a positive reaction to that.

I dunno, it feels more like blood in the water. "The Kickstarter's doing so badly and is so awfully done they're having to change their plans midway to try and get moore money!". Curious to see if there'll actually be a positive reaction to that.

Yeah, I can see that reaction.  Keep in mind though, they're promising this to everyone that pledged at least $49 until now.  They were going to announce it possibly even a week ago, but decided to hold off so that they'd net a larger number of people that would find out that they were getting the proverbial "early bird bargain".

But I can certainly see how it could be seen as blood in the water.  From the sounds of things though, they've got more announcements lined up for next week to let people know they haven't been sitting on their hands just hoping things will go better for the campaign.  I think some might even be ready to go, but I can't say for certain.

Hello everyone!
The RED ASH Team here again, notifying you all of a special event!

We believe the biggest difference between creating games the old fashioned way, and creating games through Kickstarter, is that you, the community, gets to participate in developing the game with us, the creators.

We’re sure you’re already aware about some of the rewards, such as Beck’s jacket, and the rights to design enemy characters. However, we’d like to take this opportunity to listen to your voices even more, and have everyone affect the game.

Today, we’ve prepared one such event to have you experience just what kind of impact your voices can make on our game. We’d like everyone to experience this, so it isn’t just limited to backers. We want people who have yet to become backers, to get a feel for what game development is like on Kickstarter too, and have some fun.

And if you enjoyed the experience, perhaps you’d like to support our project as well!

Anyway, let’s get this event started!

It’s voting time! The mayoral election begins!

Ito-san touched upon this in the last staff introduction, but there’s a village where people live on KalKanon.

12a52252d6fb5e6c516579ad74d6cb36_origina

This small village, isolated from the rest of the world, has its own unique culture and ways, and its people live a fairly peaceful life.

In RED ASH, your contact and interaction with these characters will become a very important factor. After meeting them, and getting to know them, you’ll likely start to have strong feelings like “I want to save these people!” Emotional motivation is a very important part of gameplay, after all.

Anyway, among those villagers, we actually have yet to decide the character who will be the mayor of the village. Our art director, Ito-san, came up with 4 rough ideas for potential candidates, but which one would you prefer to be the mayor? Which one do you think would be the most interesting? We’re sure everyone has their own idea of what kind of person should be a mayor! We know we all have our opinions too, so that’s why we want you to tell us your thoughts and break the stalemate! Vote away!

The mayoral candidates are the following 4 characters! Remember, this is all a work in progress, so art and names could change a bit in the finished product!

6e077fe4e1d2f7616e31657dd40f1182_origina

Candidate 1
Natasha Mille

Her slogan is “Strong wills bring great hope.”
Late 20's. Current mayor.
She has a gentle demeanor, but she has a lot of experience and makes strong speeches. She prioritizes defending the village and its people’s livelihoods over anything else. She sometimes even fights when Diesol wander into the village.

047416b54c1cdb7dad59328c895de929_origina

Candidate 2
Elena February

Her slogan is “A beautiful village for a sound tomorrow!”
Early 20's.
She’s quite the optimist, and became a candidate because it seemed like a fun thing to do. She likes gardening, and she wants to reform the village into a more flowery and beautiful design.

b3b6374f19787257770549463682be97_origina

Candidate 3 
Masha Sisenoch

Her slogan is “Economize! Always find the most rational use!”
Not quite 10 years old.
She has a strong sense of finance and economizing, and would thus probably get along well with Call.

abd196ef89709db65b84132a4d65f1b2_origina

Candidate 4 
Alisa Primaya

Her slogan is “Act with honor. Build a strong and noble village.”
Late teens.
She is extremely fussy about neatness and orderliness. She believes discipline is the key to development and prosperity of the village.

Those are the candidates!
Which character would you like to become the mayor?

You can access the election ballot by clicking here!

Voting ends on 7/28 (Tuesday) at 02:00 PST! (That’s still 7/28 in Japan)

We plan to announce the results on 7/31 (Friday)! (That’s 8/1 in Japan)

As we said, this election is open to participation for everyone, so feel free to tell your friends, family, coworkers, classmates, your doctor, your neighbors, random people in line at the supermarket, people waiting for a red light next to you at a traffic stop... Oooor share a link on forums and social media like Twitter or Facebook. That works too.

That’s all for today! Please send you messages of support to the RED ASH Team! You can leave comments here on Kickstarter, or use Twitter!

English Twitter: @RedAshGame
Japanese Twitter: @RedAshGamejp

We’ll see you again in the next update!
-The RED ASH Team

Hello everyone!

Have you voted in the mayoral election yet? Every vote cast has the potential to greatly change this game’s world... Although seeing how all the candidates are female, some guys (and gals!) probably just voted for the girl they fancy most. And that’s perfectly fine! It’s good to go with your instincts!

Anyway, we in the RED ASH Team are discussing the contents for this game every single day. Not only about the mayor, mind you! We’re looking for ways to make fun and exciting battles to really liven up the game.

What exactly is a battle in RED ASH? There’s actually quite some debate in the development office regarding that question. It seems there was a meeting about battles today, too...

b613738e3a4770d87c2d6ef66f17c92a_origina

What’s this!? Is this a document used at one of the meetings?

It says “Battle Event Proposal No.08” at the top... It seems to be an idea sheet for a boss battle. I see, I see, this boss seems to have quite the interesting form! It sounds like Beck and Tyger have to work together to rescue a villager who’s been taken captive. And what's this "Big Hand" item?

Oh right, this document is in Japanese, so there’s probably lots of people here who can’t read it. Sorry about that! Here’s a quick translation of the description!

• Mission – Rescue the captive villager, idea for mid-boss
  • Goals – Rescue the village girl who’s been captured by the Diesol,
    Destroy the prison-type Diesol
  • Details – This Diesol’s body is built like a prison, and the captive villager is being used as a hostage. The only way to damage the Diesol without harming the hostage is Tyger’s pin-point accurate sniping. Beck must act as bait, and lure the Diesol into his line of fire. There will be a full battle once the hostage is freed.
  • Item Obtained – Big Hand

What do you think? We have meetings like this at the RED ASH development office all the time, looking for ways to make the game more fun and engaging. Will this boss event actually be used? We’re looking to bring as many ideas together as possible, so keep sending us your suggestions and support!

That’s all for this update! Please keep sending the RED ASH Team your messages! You can comment here on Kickstarter, or send them through Twitter!

Let's be honest these kick starters aren't doing so hot. There's 10 days left and they haven't hit their initial stretch goal. With in the last couple of days there have been some updates to them. Let's start with the more "successful" of the 2.

The anime has changed it's stretch goals so instead it being a 5 minute short if it's fully funded it's going to be 12 minutes.

ba1e4b2a028306c1427066f8e9abd440_origina

Now for the games. They've already explained that porting to consoles is expensive and they had a poll for the fans to see which console this game to be ported first and here are the results

206aa5dfaaaf9ba6d5e83201f6c112ff_origina

In case the image is too small for you guys(sorry still getting used to posting pics on this site post update) The PS4 version won with 66.55%, the Wii U version came in 2nd place with 24.92% and in last place the Xbone version had 8.52% and now on the kickstarter page the if they hit $1 Million the PS4 version will be made with other consoles hitting later stretch goals 

.....So it's come to this. The Red Ash Kickstarter posted an update which featured artwork of a moe girl wearing scantily clad plate bikini(?). https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend/posts/1296535

Hidden Content

Good reason for me not to fund this game if there ever was one.

All the more for me to back this game more. Already have 200 put into it. But seeing comments like this just make me want to fund more. Heck ill throw another 100 onto it this week. Game seems it will be fun and hope its funded. Regardless I do not think the girls in it but again I am not the person making the game and if that had been their vision so be it. I have no right to criticize someone else vision.

"

Hello everyone!

Do you remember the scene from the video of our visit to HYDE the other day, showing Beck’s character model in development? That was actually pretty close to completion, but we’re going to show you how it was all made today!

Basically, HYDE would report on what progress they had made during each week, and if necessary, Ito-san would provide them with feedback for changes and further development. There's lots of back and forth communication, a lot like playing catch!

1. This is the base model without any textures applied. It looks a lot like a smooth plaster statue, but you can clearly see the polygons that compose it.

99ee4521bb196e8368ee2d2b34baa0d1_origina

2. This model just has temporary facial textures applied. Is it just me, or does it look like Beck is naked...? (lol)

f3be30bd2a927bf7902458e677d5a2ef_origina

3. Ito-san retouched the above model to create this one. He adjusted the balance of Beck’s head and body, and made revisions to parts that compose his chest and shoulders.

9cd384082c8a8b0749b7119950e48656_origina

4. After receiving feedback from Ito-san, HYDE created this model. What dramatic progress! It seems near perfection already, we’d expect no less from HYDE!

38e670644d8d0c22817c6c96fec1922e_origina

This leads up to the model of Beck you saw in the video of our visit to HYDE the other day. They managed to pull it off in only about 2 weeks, so we were very surprised and ecstatic. Not only that, but they’ve been making progress on the model for Call too! Take a look!

5865af0651bb443597ef649ff1a45515_origina

That’s really amazing! Thank you so much for your work, HYDE-san! This model hasn’t even had our feedback yet, they did all this themselves. We’re looking forward to more!

That’s all for today’s update!

Please send your messages of support to the RED ASH Team! You can comment here on Kickstarter, or send them through Twitter!"

Him having a scar across his nose bugs me for some reason.  I can't say I'm that much into that design overall either.  It kinda looks like he's wearing a wetsuit and the legs of a space suit.  

I take it his left arm is artificial, are his legs meant to be as well?  Are his shoulders artificial?  

new update includes a demo mockup so can people can experience how the development is going.

...funny thing, you play as Beck and Call and Beck and all the characters in the demo are from Mighty no 9 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend/posts/1307222

Don´t expect nothing special, it is pretty bad. But has a few hilarious things.

If you explore enough you can find Call and play as Beck from RED ASH

Edited by Ristar

new update includes a demo mockup so can people can see how the atmoshphere is going to be

funny thing, all the characters are from Mighty no. 9

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend/posts/1307222

5 days left

Jeez...5 days left and they're barely past the halfway point. And the animation is about 45k before it hits its first goal, although that goal got updated to a 12 minute short from the 5 minute short. They really should have planned this whole thing a lot better.