Awoo.

This is the PlayStation that Nintendo Never Released

Detective Shadzter

The absolutely earliest original Japanese PSX models had S-Video:

[image]

S-Video was always big in Japan, and it was the PS2 era where it finally started dying down.

I must be confusing its time of prominence with when I started to notice them.  Up until the GameCube era, my family just used direct cable, even when S-Video and RCA were both valid options.

In any case, the back of the alleged Nintendo model appears to have a lot of similarities with that version.  Naturally, I mean, but it's interesting to me.

• 4 months later...

Hm, I think this system really could have been quite interesting to have back then. I mean, really, imagine what games like Super Mario World or Final Fantasy VI would've been like with this system in mind...

• Thumbs Up 1

This is pretty exciting to see, to say the least!  It's something I thought I'd never see, honestly.  I just wonder what they had planned for it.  How the load-up screen would work if it had one.  Little things like that.  I wonder how games like Starfox and F-Zero would look with all that added capability.

Wow, this is quite the find! Ever consider placing this in the Video Game History Museum in Texas? Then again, may have to have some special permissions to do such.

It's pretty damn amazing to see this in action. This is a piece of gaming history right here, and as a Nintendo and Playstation fan, this is pretty damn awesome to see being confirmed as real.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...

Another bumpity bump as Ben Heck has been called in to do an analysis on the inner workings of the unit and (hopefully) actually get the disc drive working, using music CDs as a test because obviously there was never any disc games released.

Definitely interesting to watch, the motherboard is very similar to a Super Nintendo at the base. Still feels so crazy to even see the real deal in HD video and whatnot even a year later, remembering all the quick assumptions we all had that this was fake kinda makes me laugh.

EDIT

ay now, part two is out!

• Thumbs Up 6

• 2 weeks later...

Commenting on this because I didn't notice this until it popped up in my recommended today, but it's very interesting that Sony didn't design it anything remotely like Sega did with theirs. Based on the way that cartridge seems to work, it seems like the whole CD unit was designed to interface with the system almost identically to how PC Engine Super CD did.

• 9 months later...

I saw this in my YouTube subs box just now and remembered how I used to be the only one to ever give this thread any updates so I figured I'd drop in real quick.

It now works completely instead of just saying NO CD SYSTEM! Plays music discs and is also shown playing some other game (emulated or something I believe he says in the video). 

It's really nice to see the thing come so far from a fairy tale in the history of the PlayStation, to photos and a video that people thought were fake, to the real deal that's broken, to a fully functional unit.

Maybe one day a prototype game disc will surface, we can only pray for that now I guess.

• Thumbs Up 3