Awoo.

Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games production

Polkadi~☆

Minecraft: Story Mode is an adventure game, by Telltale Games, set in a Minecraft world. It is a five-part episodic series that will take you to the Nether, the Farlands, the End, and beyond! You will drive how the story flows through the decisions you make: what you say to people (and how you say it), and what you choose to do in moments of thrilling action.

Players will control protagonist Jesse throughout the season, as portrayed by actor Patton Oswalt. Jesse and his group of friends revere the legendary Order of the Stone; four adventurers who slayed an Ender Dragon. The Order is the very best at what they do: Warrior, Redstone Engineer, Griefer, and Architect. While at EnderCon, Jesse and his friends discover that something is wrong... something dreadful. Terror is unleashed, and they must set out on a journey to find The Order of the Stone if they are to save their world from oblivion.

Available to download soon for PC, Mac, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, compatible iOS devices, and Android.

This looks so silly and ridiculous, but I can see this somehow working out. Let's just hope this isn't another typical TellTale game with tons of problems such as bugs, inconsistent writing, schedule and quality.

I have confidence that TellTale will make a game that is passable at the very least, since they have an amazing track record.

But on the other hand, I wish they had just incorporated it into the actual Minecraft game.  Part of the appeal of Minecraft is the concept of not just choice, but essentially playing as yourself. So having an in-depth story full of established characters in the Minecraft universe sort of comes across as a cash-in.  It's not unlike the Lego games in that regard.  Not bad games, just so commercial in nature that it's sort of distracting.

Still, I look forward to seeing where this goes.

https://www.telltalegames.com/blog/discussion/97267/minecraft-story-mode-reveal-trailer-and-first-cast-details

The season will feature Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Ashley Johnson, Scott Porter, Martha Plimpton, Dave Fennoy, Corey Feldman, Billy West, and Paul Reubens. Look for further casting details to come!

These casting details popped up, you might recognized a few of em.

Eeeegh... Large celebrity cast has me more skeptical of the quality, but I'm not going to make a judgment based on it.

Wow! I am a big fan of Minecraft!

This looks great in my opinion. I think there's no problem with this idea.

Obviously this will be a spin-off, and won't change the main theory of Minecraft (not like Boom, it ruined Sonic).

I am waiting what will come out of this. :)

Considering how this game seem to be packed with humor TT style, i wonder if it will take a jab at the griefers community in some way.

This seems like a such a waste. I think MineCraft has some good story potential, but it doesn't seem like it's even trying to work with what's already there. 

I'd maybe try it if it was an add on, but as a separate thing I'd need to buy I doubt I will. 

This seems like a such a waste. I think MineCraft has some good story potential, but it doesn't seem like it's even trying to work with what's already there. 

I'd maybe try it if it was an add on, but as a separate thing I'd need to buy I doubt I will. 

That's not what it's even doing anyway. What makes stuff like Minecraft animations and Machinimas popular is that it's a great tool for storytelling. The game is basically doing exactly that: It's a game that uses Minecraft as a base for storytelling tools. It's not going to expand on Minecraft's universe, hell no. It's going to use Minecraft's setting, look and creatures to create it's own separate story.

Hmm, not exactly what I had in mind, but still looks servicable, imo.

The real question I have about the game is if they'll have gameplay of the same kind as TWD's. From my perspective, the opportunity for this game is that it's finally an official chance to make a minecraft game with full linear levels and puzzles, and a good story. If half of that is only this,

jurassic-park-the-game-screenshot-580x32

point-and-click gameplay, then I am officially out.

Edit: Nevermind, I was mistaken. Guess Telltale has never had that kind of gameplay. Well this is a waste of a game. :\

This premise is.... odd to say the least. Especially with this celebrity cast.

But hey, I don't play Minecraft. What do I know?

That's not what it's even doing anyway. What makes stuff like Minecraft animations and Machinimas popular is that it's a great tool for storytelling. The game is basically doing exactly that: It's a game that uses Minecraft as a base for storytelling tools. It's not going to expand on Minecraft's universe, hell no. It's going to use Minecraft's setting, look and creatures to create it's own separate story.

And that bugs me. Yeah, I know the fans tend to do that same thing, but for something big, made by a full on studio, as the official "Story Mode", I kind of expect more. Generic stories in a blocky style have already been well covered, and I'm pretty sure they're free. 

And I said nothing about expanding on the universe. You can use a universe to your advantage without explaining and adding things.

Hmm, not exactly what I had in mind, but still looks servicable, imo.

The real question I have about the game is if they'll have gameplay of the same kind as TWD's. From my perspective, the opportunity for this game is that it's finally an official chance to make a minecraft game with full linear levels and puzzles, and a good story. If half of that is only this,

jurassic-park-the-game-screenshot-580x32

point-and-click gameplay, then I am officially out.

If you've played Telltale's latest games, you'd know that chances are this game is gonna be more of a point-and-click game, and the opportunity to "choose" what you craft/say/whatever.

And that bugs me. Yeah, I know the fans tend to do that same thing, but for something big, made by a full on studio, as the official "Story Mode", I kind of expect more. Generic stories in a blocky style have already been well covered, and I'm pretty sure they're free. 

And I said nothing about expanding on the universe. You can use a universe to your advantage without explaining and adding things.

"Story Mode" is just a name. I can understand where you are coming from but for making a complete story-based game based off of something like Minecraft, it's probably what would work best.

It looks like a Youtube machinima given a ridiculously excessive budget. Like, what's the draw, beyond "lol Minecraft"?

It looks like a Youtube machinima given a ridiculously excessive budget. Like, what's the draw, beyond "lol Minecraft"?

Not...much? I guess the main draw is that it's a "Interactive Minecraft Adventure" that fits among the lines of TellTale Games and their "No puzzles, not much gameplay, it's like a TV Show!" stuff.

Edit: Nevermind, I was mistaken. Guess Telltale has never had that kind of gameplay. Well this is a waste of a game. :\

They never used linear levels or anything, but their old games like Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island, Strong Bad, and Wallace & Gromit are all adventure games with proper puzzles, although ever since The Walking Dead, they seem determined to cash cow off that with 3 seasons and a spin off, along with only doing QTEs

For those who want to view the trailer on SSMB:

• Thumbs Up 1

Well that's... I guess...Eeeeeh?

I mean, the only telltale game I played is Tales from the Borderlands, and I rather like it if only for the world building and the characters. But the thing I like about Minecraft is the fact that it has no story, everything is literally up to your imagination... Making a story based around Minecraft just seems kinda redundant.

Of course, I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't look like it was going to take itself so seriously (At least that's the impression I'm getting). If it had a tone akin to the Lego Movie, I'd probably be more open to the idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

That looked awful.

That looked exactly like a freaking playable machina video. I mean just wow. I thought they couldn't get any lower after GoT's Uncanny Valley characters but wow.

The story sounds too serious, too generic, and too uninteresting. I have played Minecraft thanks, I know you can create your own sword. Why? Because the game is called Minecraft. I know already that you can craft items in the game.

It actually sounds like a Walking Dead clone. A overly serious story about some new guy leading a specific group of people after a incident occurs that causes them to have to run. There's even a scene where two characters are being surrounded on a bridge by Creepers, with Zombies right behind them. EXACTLY LIKE IN SEASON 2 OF TWD.

This game looks terrible. It's a Minecraft game, that game which is lighthearted, and is always filled with lighthearted stuff, and yet Telltale are trying to copy and paste it's world into another generic epic story.
  • Thumbs Up 1

That looked awful.

That looked exactly like a freaking playable machina video. I mean just wow. I thought they couldn't get any lower after GoT's Uncanny Valley characters but wow.

The story sounds too serious, too generic, and too uninteresting. I have played Minecraft thanks, I know you can create your own sword. Why? Because the game is called Minecraft. I know already that you can craft items in the game.

It actually sounds like a Walking Dead clone. A overly serious story about some new guy leading a specific group of people after a incident occurs that causes them to have to run. There's even a scene where two characters are being surrounded on a bridge by Creepers, with Zombies right behind them. EXACTLY LIKE IN SEASON 2 OF TWD.

This game looks terrible. It's a Minecraft game, that game which is lighthearted, and is always filled with lighthearted stuff, and yet Telltale are trying to copy and paste it's world into another generic epic story.

I mean, you shouldn't be damning the game that hard. I'm pretty sure a lot of us had said the same with Tales from the Borderlands (Borderlands is a mother facking shooter and there's no way that would ever work as a Point-and-Click game). Just wait til we see actual gameplay and know more about the story. You can't assume anything from a debut trailer like that.

• 1 month later...

The big new thing they are showing at PAX is the ability to choose the gender and appearance of main protagonist, Jesse! This is the first TellTale game to allow you to do that. They've also revealed they'll be releasing the first episode this fall.

https://www.telltalegames.com/blog/99531/new-screenshots-minecraft-story-mode-features-selectable-player-character

New Screenshots reflecting this too:

MCSM_BETA_Jesse_Reuben_F_1024px.jpg

MCSM_BETA_Jesse_Reuben_M_1024px.jpg

MCSM_BETA_Jesse_Petra_Endercon_1024px.jp

MCSM_BETA_Jesse_Jump_M_1024px.jpg

MCSM_BETA_Jesse_F_1024px.jpg

I gotta admit it, but the faces for these characters look really creepy 

I'm still skeptical about this though, since we haven't been really shown anything regarding the plot other than a  simple description, and since it's an entire new world set with the Minecraft aesthetic, TellTale needs to do a good job at explaining things not found in Minecraft itself, like how the characters for some reason all have different models.

Edited by Inkling no Klonoa

• 1 month later...

Ehhh, I still don't like the looks of this. It's trying far too hard to turn Minecraft into something it's not, and it looks so generic. It doesn't feel like a story that actually wants to capitalize on Minecraft's unique world. it feels more like it just wants to tell a generic story and use the Minecraft Machina skin in order to convince Minecraft fanboys to go along with it, 

• Thumbs Up 1

Who likes edgy games? This game has some edginess.

Rating Summary: This is an adventure game, set in the Minecraft universe, in which players assume the role of Jessie and his friends on a quest to reunite heroes. As players progress through the story, they are presented with dialogue and action choices that occasionally lead to combat against monsters. Players use swords and other weapons to defeat fantastical enemies (e.g., zombies, skeletons, giant spiders); enemies generally disappear amid puffs of smoke when defeated. The words “damn” and “hell” are heard in the dialogue.

You can also find the game in action here:

Actually, it doesn't look too bad. The animation is actually much better then you'd expect from a TellTale game. The facial expressions are really weird though.

The game will have a premiere livestream event on the 12th, and will come out on the 13th.

Edited by Mae