Awoo.

Sonic Motocross iPhone Game Proposal Discovered

Detective Shadzter

Sonic-Motocross-2XL-Games.jpg

The Sonic Stadium has today discovered a proposed Sonic game for iPhone on the resume and portfolio of illustrator Eric D Simmons. The game was being developed by 2XL Games and judging by the above artwork it was to be a motocross type of game set in familiar Sonic stages. A quick look on 2XL Games' website shows that genre to be their speciality on mobile devices. No reason is given for this game not seeing release, but if we had to guess, it’s likely due to clashing with the mobile release of vehicle racer Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing and/or its sequel.

Sources: Eric D Simmons' resume, Eric D Simmons portfolio

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/07/sonic-motocross-iphone-game-proposal-discovered/

I've seen so many of these motocross mobile games, but never once thought Sonic should be in one. It's interesting to see another developer thinking Sonic should have blue arms, too. What do you guys think of this game concept?

• Thumbs Up 1

When was this? Also was this game cancelled?

His resume and portfolio don't say, but his first 2XL Games game listed before it released 2009, so must have been shortly after. If so, it would have clashed with S&SASR. 

Huh, weird... Kinda reminds me of that skateboard Sonic game that was proposed: Sonic Extreme (No, not Sonic Xtreme)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gwN2tnjok

According to his website, the filename for the image includes... 2013/05/

So 2009  - 2013 is the range.

I really like the art! Also, despite the lack of brown scarf, it looks like Boom Sonic. It might be a coincidence, or it might help date the game

May of 2013 sounds like it could have coincided with Sonic Boom's character designs being finalized, but not public, which might explain why Sonic has blue arms, but also, even the environment is sort of reminiscent of Rise of Lyric.  But if it has nothing to do with Boom, it's still an interesting find.  I'm curious to know more about it.  Assuming, that is, that there is more.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder what would happen if this game was completed. Sega would probably put it under the Boom label though. The enviroment looks Boom-ish, Sonic looks Boom-ish, it was made for Boom.

Also... Hedgehogs on Motorcycles. I watched this video this morning before this game was even brought to our attention. It foreshadowed the future....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JUeZ8kjJQQ

• Thumbs Up 4

It may be just me, but this concept sounds like it would basically be a Trials clone with Sonic on it.

RedLynx-Trials-Evolution-13.png

• Thumbs Up 1

An interesting find, indeed.

But Sonic on a motorcycle? Ehhhh... I'm not sure how to feel about that... The idea looks cool, sure, but I dunno. And Sonic's design, it's gorgeous. In some sort of strange way. It looks a lot like Boom Sonic, and probably would have been.

Would've loved to see what could have become of it. We need to find an alternate universe faster!

It could of been an accident with the blue arms you know. But either way it looks nice. I not sure a Sonic game would work in this setting but it is interesting concept. It looks like a cross between regular Sonic and the Sonic Boom itself.

I don't necessarily think that Sonic having blue arms in that pic means the project was connected to Boom as some point.

People have been giving Sonic blue arms ever since the first game was released. The artist doing so was probably just a mistake or him using some artistic freedom to play around with Sonic's design (which would also explain the boots).

It's nothing to do with Boom.

It's just an artist unfamiliar with Sonic who made a design error. We've seen it many times before.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/07/sonic-motocross-iphone-game-proposal-discovered/

I've seen so many of these motocross mobile games, but never once thought Sonic should be in one. It's interesting to see another developer thinking Sonic should have blue arms, too. What do you guys think of this game concept?

Woah. That concept art is really cool! (I can see why it was cancelled... Shadow does not want anyone else being cool riding a bike. 

And those shoes remind me of the ones Sonic wore in the Free Riders game.

CJRB2N8UcAAjCq4.png

How can you not love this?

I absolutely love it! :D His face sort of resembles the really old concept art where he's just a black and white doodle; I think it's the bigger muzzle that does it. Not to mention the environment is lush. Also, those boots man! Those boots!

The idea of a motocross game just makes me think of Homestar Runner's AweXome Cross: http://www.homestarrunner.com/awexome.html :D  which yes, I used to enjoy playing very much back in the 2000's! Sonic on a motorcycle would be hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1