Awoo.

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip - "Because Four Equals Death"

Spin Attaxx

In case you guys haven't watched Chipwrecked, it takes place partly on a Carnival cruise ship... I know because I was on a Carnival cruise ship when I watched it. AND they were really selling Carnival cruise ships.

I got stuck on the idea that the Carnival company footed a large part of the budget, and Fox worked the story around it, haha. The character building this time centered around Dave giving the boys, especially Alvin, some slack and letting them have fun, and Alvin learning some self control. But I have to say everyone seemed to come around and change their attitudes and outlooks about as quickly as any minor antagonist in a given modern Pokemon episode.

Oh, Simon also speaks French. K.

But Jeanette's solo of S.O.S. Was adorable, haha.

I understand the feeling that the newer movies don't have any heart in them. They do fall pretty flat emotionally speaking, and way too many gags cover up any actually emotion put into the films.

I wasn't surprised to hear there would be a fourth movie, and at this point I'm pretty apathetic about it. We get so critical of kids shows for lacking real, engaging content, but forget that our big kids shows can be just as vapid. No one has anything negative to say about the first Hangover movie, and there was nothing to it BUT slapstick comedy, gags, and superficial nonsense. But it was still a good movie that everyone my age that I've met has enjoyed. Hollywood peddles easy comedy to every age group, but you don't have to work as hard to make kids laugh if that's your goal. That's why I think the chipmunk movies fall flat to us but may still be worth something to a child. "It's just a kids show" may not be the be all end all defense, but it is something you do have to take into consideration.

I don't get what the point of this is. Seriously. The fact that the others are a success doesn't justify this movie's existence for me. Why? Because as mentioned before in this thread, there's already a new Alvin cartoon called "Alviiiiinnnn! and the Chipmunks" that's already been airing in Europe for the past few months. I'm sure there are some kids out there that like the show and will go see the movie, only for it to be completely different from what they were expecting. 

Also, I wouldn't know the 3rd movie existed if it wasn't for a leftover promotional piece in my local cinema's corner. :V And considering I've seen almost no one talk about it, that makes me question how it did in the box office. So.. really, I can't see how they thought this was a good idea. 

Oh well, it's not like any of us are going to see it anyway. Right guys? ...right? 

I seriously don't get this.

The reviews for all the films are terrible. Are the masses that out of touch with critics in terms of perception?

It would stand to reason that after the first two people would have given up.

Then again it took quite a few movies before people gave up on Saw.

• Thumbs Up 1

Family movies based on cartoon properties like this tend to do well because they are marketed towards an audience that has to legally drag at least one other person to see it. For every willing audience member, there's probably two that don't actually give a shit, but their purchase of tickets give the impression that the movies are literally as popular as other comparable B-grade blockbusters.

That, and audiences aren't as intolerant towards these kinds of films as more seasoned movie goers would be. They're shrugged off as harmless entertainment, which they ultimately are. Yes, in some kind of ideal world, every children's TV show would be Steven Universe and every animated film Spirited Away. But we live in a world of both varying talent levels and also interests. It's okay for films to be boppy fun for an hour and a half. No really, it is. We all grew up watching stupid shit, and we don't feel like our childhood was any worse because it entertained us in the short term, and in the long term we filled in the blanks with our best memories.

I know if I was growing up now I would watch these films and enjoy them as they're intended to be enjoyed, grow up, look back on them and laugh at how badly they would age, and move on with my more developed tastes. Today's kids will do the same. Planting one's flag on the hill that these films are anymore damaging than some of the crap we watched seems more like old people yelling at clouds than any honest critique of the state of children's entertainment. xP

• Thumbs Up 7

• 4 weeks later...