Awoo.

Ghostbusters "Who ya gonna call? The Meh busters!"

Badnik Mechanic

Yeah, i really really enjoyed this, lol. Saw it the other day.  As someone who LOVES the concept of Ghostbusters (SHOOTING AT GHOSTS. WITH LASERS) wayy more than i do the actual original movies (which are still quite great; don't get me wrong! ) i was more than personally satisfied with the way they updated the story to modern day and show off more of the development and testing of their technology and generally having much more, well, busting of ghosts! All while still having the friendships and bond between the four leads.  Such an extremely charming cast and lovable cast that share alot of good chemistry between all of them, in particular really liked Patty and Kevin and ESPECIALLY Holtzmann. SHE'S SO COOL. New favorite Ghostbuster sorry Venkman and Egon.  Kate Mckinnon is so so awesome in the role and i seriously demand she be in every single movie from now, she's a bonafide movie star. Pretty funny movie too, not the FUNNIEST movie i've seen all year (i think it'll be hard to top Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping because that shit had me dying) but good number of laughs were had. Even when a joke doesn't land, there's usually another immediately afterwards that actually does. Some really incredible action scenes and effects on the ghosts (ESPECIALLY in 3D, best usage of it in a recent movie) to top it off as well. The villain was kinda whatever though, some interesting ideas but never really developed, and some wonky editing in moments. But i really liked it overall,, i give it, the ghost emoji/10. Hope it does well, i want a sequel asap i wanna see this cast together again. 46 million OW on a 144 mil budget seems like a decent start all things considered. As a similar comparison Mad Max Fury Road opened 45 mil on a 150 million budget and made to 378 million and there's plenty of sequel chatter about that, so i wouldn't count it out just yet. It probably will get a sequel, Sony doesn't that have much going for them franchise wise, ha, and they opened up a production company, Ghost Corps just for Ghostbusters franchise stuff like movies, tv shows, games etc. so they're not throwing in the towel anytime soon i bet.  It's pretty amazing that super harmless, inoffensive, and just pretty fun, and endearing film that's enjoyable for audiences of all ages inspired THIS much vitriol and controversy.  

• Thumbs Up 1

The Double Toasted review of the film.

Spoiler

Three Rentals or 2/5s. Calling it average, mediocre summer blockbuster fare and hits the summer blockbuster tropes, relies too much on the fanservice/original movies to stand on its own, badly edited, no or vague rules on the 'ghost busting' aspects/trapping, and comedy relies more on reaction shots than chemistry of the cast. Film falls apart during 2nd half.

Also, mind you that this is going up against Star Trek Beyond this week so yeah don't see it having much staying in the box office.

SomeCallMeJohnny, Ted (from BrainScratch) and Derrick (from GameXplain) talk Ghostbusters.

Well, in recent developments, the film is now No.5 at the box office with Star Trek Beyond at first (as expected) with Secret Life of Pets trailing behind a #2 and Lights Out at #3 and even Ice Age Collision Course beats it at #4. And adding insult to injury, the film only made $21 million this weekend, adding its opening earnings of $46 mil to $67 which still doesn't come to half its budget.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/

And as a bonus Angry Joe's review of the recent Ghostbusters video game that tries to serves as a a somewhat sequel of the 2016 movie. Yes, you heard right.

Let's just say Ghostbusters (2009) this game is definitely NOT.

• 2 weeks later...

this isn't particualy good news odds are they will likely ditch the brand for fear of a 2nd movie doing worse 

I hope there's at least some of sonys movies that have been sucessfull of late otherwise they are really really going to have to hope that the spider-man movie does well next year

as for the new ghostbusters my sad guess is that the lego dimension stuff will release as planned,move will get the blueray/dvd treatment.and then it will disapper into obscurity.

On 8/10/2016 at 5:23 PM, Operationgamer17 said:

The article mentioned an animated show and I think that would have been a better way to start a reboot than go all out with a big budgeted movie where the only thing it does is genderflip the cast and modern day tech/references. And in keeping the trend of really good cartoons like Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Gravity Falls etc. Or at least, that's what I would have done and use the animated show as a base or foundation for the movie's world and rules that apply with the show to keep it grounded in said world. Also, a gender neutral cast would suffice and more acceptable, having an even number of males and females. Not to mention making the movie animated too, being the first GB animated feature film will grab more attention than being another live action. Of course, getting better writers with tighter scripts and having good animation would be first priority.

People are surprised this isn't doing well?

Regardless of the whole bs regarding sexism and the other shit surrounding both extremes, there's still the sheer different factors that would destroy this film, including:

• The film's abysmal advertising. Regardless of what's in the film, this marketing failed on all fronts, and it's the fault of the studio alone for the piss poor advertising. 
  • The fact it's a reboot. They aren't known for being very good, especially after similar reboots like Robocop for example. That coupled with the above point killed this pretty badly.
  • It's part of the Ghostbusters franchise, and doesn't feel like it belongs. I don't care what anyone says. I truly believe if they made this as a separate film not associated with Ghostbusters, it might have had a better chance. No matter what you say, you can't change the fact people are going to compare this up against the original and it isn't going to get anywhere near that level.
  • The controversy. From both sides. No matter what, that shit's gonna drive people away, because show some liking to it, you have disgraced the original. Dislike it? You're sexist! That kind of fanbase and controversy will convince people not to see it.
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Absolutely 1

Well, here's a video detailing on Ghostbusters flopping and post-release controversies, most of it already everyone knows about but an informative vid nonetheless:

What an escalation: the GB actress Leslie Jones allegedly has been hacked, nude photos of her have leaked, and has now left social media during an FBI investigation. While some celebrate and mock her, others supposedly smell something fishy and go on the defensive:

x2uPre.jpg

What an escalation.

If only she were a self-made white guy nerd who exalted Ghostbusters as the ultimate nerd property and took a stand against the film then this wouldn't have happened.

• Thumbs Up 6

I just have to wonder why anyone would even hack someone over the quality of a movie. I thought we were through with this shit. As for the false flag thing, in what world does the new Ghostbusters tie into Trump?

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Treacher said:

What an escalation: the GB actress Leslie Jones allegedly has been hacked, nude photos of her have leaked, and has now left social media during an FBI investigation. While some celebrate and mock her, others supposedly smell something fishy and go on the defensive:

x2uPre.jpg

What an escalation.

It's /pol/ being /pol/; don't bother, they see conspiracy theories everywhere.

• Thumbs Up 6

https://twitter.com/sweetatertot2/status/768541798364958720

Yeesh, she didn't do herself any favors here.

15 hours ago, Conando said:

I just have to wonder why anyone would even hack someone over the quality of a movie. I thought we were through with this shit. As for the false flag thing, in what world does the new Ghostbusters tie into Trump?

Accusations have made about placing the blame on who ever did this on Trump supporters as an example of internet harassment.

Milo'stwittervictim.jpg

• 1 month later...

well for any of you guys interested  someones uploaded all the cutscenes from the ghostbusters 2016 story pack for lego dimensions.

enjoy

• 1 month later...