Awoo.

Ghostbusters "Who ya gonna call? The Meh busters!"

Badnik Mechanic

Wait...was the "It got in every crack" joke supposed to be a Vagina joke? Because it seemed more like general body humor to me.

Angry Joe shares my sentiments about the trailer.

The thing about the original Ghost Busters is that it has a balance of both good horror and humor, which is something that the movie seems to lack just by looking at the trailer alone and feels geared more on the side of comedy (if you want to call what was presented like such, I barely smiled through that). I agree about the special effects on the ghost being a bit too bright and neon and looks on the same level as Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion. Also, the highlighted comedy is lame and rely a bit too much on slapstick and cliche's, just tries too hard and forced. Hardly anything subtle like the original. And if this is what we are to expect from the film then consider my expectations very low on this.

Also, this is supposed to be a sequel, right? So why are they're treating all this paranormal stuff to be new like it hasn't happened before? There better be a good explanation for this.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the bright side at least it has a chance of being better than the second movie right guys??

-runs-

On 3/5/2016 at 2:28 AM, Sean said:

On the bright side at least it has a chance of being better than the second movie right guys??

-runs-

One could only hope, but something tells me that's not going to be the case. :/

On March 5, 2016 at 4:28 AM, Sean said:

-runs-

I'd say that's not hard to do but after looking at the trailer again....I'm not so sure.

On 3/5/2016 at 4:28 AM, Sean said:

-runs-

Considering how even the second is beloved to a high degree of sorts too, I'm not holding my breath on that one. Yes, Ghostbusters 2 may have its shortcomings but it still has some crazy-awesome unique qualities that helped it remain more of a triumph than a downfall still.

On 3/5/2016 at 2:41 AM, AdventChild said:

Also, this is supposed to be a sequel, right? So why are they're treating all this paranormal stuff to be new like it hasn't happened before? There better be a good explanation for this.

Despite the "30 Years Ago Four Scientists Saved New York" bit at the beginning of the trailer, the new Ghostbusters isn't a sequel. It's a hard continuity reboot.

In other words, it's Sony just being misleading or crappy with their marketing. On that particular bit, it's worth noting that some people feel the trailer was badly edited and assume it likely isn't too representative of the actual film.

On 3/5/2016 at 9:28 AM, Sean said:

-runs-

I've heard the second film is actually better than a lot of people give it credit for. Still not as good as the first film, but it's also not outright bad either.

Well, only one reaction I can give to that.

Hightlights including a russian trailer that shows the *"funny" logo joke.

*Sarcasm

• Thumbs Up 2

The international trailer is even worse I'm surprised 

Spoiler

That leaked summary got the dragon/crowd surfing bit right. Pretty good chance that it's the real deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Angry Joe describing it in a similar way to a licensed movie seems like an interesting way of putting it, it seems to match up well with what's going on in this trailer. The sassy black girl yelling "The power of pain compels you" sticks out to me as an example of this, they've followed the atheist themes of the original to the letter with no regard to the intent. They co-opted the meme (I'm using meme in the Metal Gear sense) of the Christian exorcism and just swapped the one word to make it fit the themeing of ghostbusters.

The funniest thing about this trailer to me is that if you take their "Hey, remember how good Ghostbusters was?" Bit at the start at face value, that implies that whoever created this trailer thinks Ghostbusters is real.  "Ghostbusters is real, right!?"

These actresses, they don't pull off the scientist angle, and I think that's partly to blame on how so much of modern standup seems to have become about playing dumb... And you can't compare good double entendre to "every crack", that's like something you'd say to a child if you don't want to call out parts by name.  This script does them no favors.  

Also, Holtzman? Is this movie canon to Dune?

8 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Well, at least the international trailer fixed the "Four Scientists" part.

I'm probably still gonna watch the film, though not as hyped as I was before.

I couldn't watch much of that Angry Joe thing, for the same reason I can't watch much of anything he does - He's a petulant manchild who thinks that Ghostbusters/Transformers (Fucking LOL)/TMNT (LOLS FOR DAYS) is something sacred because 'nerd culture'. Like, OG Ghostbusters was made for the exact same reason that this one is being made today - to make money. It's not precious, it's not art, it's a studio commodity. 

That said...

Jesus, those trailers are awful. I'm impressed they doubled down on 'sassy black lady' trope in the international trailer, after it was roundly criticised everywhere after the first trailer dropped. Three white scientists and a black woman who isn't 'book smart' but 'knows the streets'? In 2016? Come the fuck on.

OG Ghostbusters was smutty too - doesn't Akroyd or Ramis get blown by a ghost in it? The whole Sigourney Weaver plotline? But this smut seems to have been ripped out of Family Guy. Every joke in those trailers seems old as hell. 

I mean, I haven't watched anything Feig has directed because I live under a rock and hate the cinema, so? Is Bridesmaids any good? 

On 3/7/2016 at 2:34 PM, Supt. Gabe said:

I've heard the second film is actually better than a lot of people give it credit for. Still not as good as the first film, but it also outright bad either.

The second movie isn't bad at all. Overall it's well worth a watch if you can ignore the background of it, and keep in mind that the humor is much more low key and dry than the first. It also made oodles of money in a very tough release period (Last Crusade, Batman, Lethal Weapon II) contrary to what popular opinion believes. It is mostly made up of bits that are really well done and it has a lot of scenes that are still hilarious even though the edges of the first movie were worn off a bit (all of the "where are they now" scenes that start the movie are perfect), and everyone involved really tries to sell the material that they were given (Murray is possibly even better in it than in the original. Moranis definitely is).

But said material is about the laziest, most formulaic sequel writing and plotting they could have done; with the first third of the movie being predicated on an insanely stupid premise that tries to damage the first movie as well (but contains most of the funniest moments and is the best written otherwise) and the rest of it being basically a remake of the first. It's very, very amusingly similar to the plot of Die Hard 2 the following year, except that movie was even worse about it (at least Ghostbusters II didn't bring back William Atherton and Reginald Veljohnson to do nothing but pad screen time and remind people they were in the first movie, like Die Hard 2 did for both) as well as being a much worse movie in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

Watched the trailer, it... Wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be when I heard all the hate towards it.

Doesn't look fantastic but, not horrible either.

Oh, I liked the music and I like Thor-- Er, Chris Hemsworth's character.

On 3/10/2016 at 8:41 PM, Dejimon11 said:

Oh boy, that was certainly something, I still don't know how to feel about this one. However, I'm still gonna give this movie the benefit of the doubt, it could actually surprise us. But as things are now... yeah, this could end up being pretty shit. :/

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump, but the Pop! vinyl figures have been revealed and if any of you read the Reddit script leak....

w7Niyos.jpg

So I didn't read the script myself but, this Rowan's Ghost is not only the Ghostbusters logo but it's also supposed to be this film's villain? If so, then, I'm not impressed. As with everything else I've seen from this movie. And I've only watched the original once.

• 5 weeks later...

New posters. If the movie is actually good, the marketing team still isn't doing a very good job at portraying it as such...

WvCKOSD.jpg

6YJR7X3.jpg

rpiQ7Ln.jpg

The first posters that were shown (posted in the first page of the thread) are considerably better designed in comparison IMO.

Also, here's an Empire cover:

empire-ghostbusters-subs-cover.jpg

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

New posters. If the movie is actually good, the marketing team still isn't doing a very good job at portraying it as such...

WvCKOSD.jpg

6YJR7X3.jpg

rpiQ7Ln.jpg

Holy shit those are bad!

Anyone remember those really bad Xmen posters from a few years back? They're about in the same league as those!

Character vignette of Chris Hemsworth's Kevin character (the male secretary for the team).

I think this clip definitely shows the film isn't trying to replicate the dry humor of the original, which is disappointing to me. But with that said, this clip wasn't actually too bad. The humor doesn't feel natural, but I don't think it felt as cringe-worthy as the first trailer, namely thanks to Hemsworth's delivery/performance.