Awoo.

Ghostbusters "Who ya gonna call? The Meh busters!"

Badnik Mechanic

Anyone else think the movie is going to bomb badly not just because of the reactions to the trailers, but also because of the controversy surrounding the movie? I mean, we have Sony allegedly deleting comments containing legit criticism and leaving only the misygonistic (correct me if I spelled that wrong) ones up, the director going on meltdowns on Twitter (as you can read here (http://screenrant.com/ghostbusters-paul-feig-trailer-response-leslie-jones/) he once said "F--- the haters") and now we have people attacking James Rolfe over him not wanting to see the movie. Controversy and bad word of mouth are NOT ways to get people to see your movie. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Anyone else think the movie is going to bomb badly not just because of the reactions to the trailers, but also because of the controversy surrounding the movie? I mean, we have Sony allegedly deleting comments containing legit criticism and leaving only the misygonistic (correct me if I spelled that wrong) ones up, the director going on meltdowns on Twitter (as you can read here (http://screenrant.com/ghostbusters-paul-feig-trailer-response-leslie-jones/) he once said "F--- the haters") and now we have people attacking James Rolfe over him not wanting to see the movie. Controversy and bad word of mouth are NOT ways to get people to see your movie. 

I wouldn't count on that, "There's no such thing as bad publicity" as they say. Well, maybe the controversy won't necessarily increase interest by any significant degree, but I can't see it doing an enormous amount of harm honestly. Unless people decide to stage a boycott or something, which it doesn't sound like they have.

I'm not gonna see it unless it's with family members I don't get to hang with often enough. All the mishandling of everything makes me not wanna go.

I'll just play the game to get my Ghostbuster 3. It's as close as we'll ever get at this point.

2 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I wouldn't count on that, "There's no such thing as bad publicity" as they say. Well, maybe the controversy won't necessarily increase interest by any significant degree, but I can't see it doing an enormous amount of harm honestly. Unless people decide to stage a boycott or something, which it doesn't sound like they have.

Except, you know, there is, and there are multiple accounts through history that would argue that bad publicity does not equate to any benefit for the company. That phrase is usually proved wrong more than it is proved right. If it was true, I could be a successful game company for instance, and just blatantly call my customers sheep that will buy whatever I shit out and tell people that aren't a fan of me milking stuff way past reason to fuck off and call them offensive slurs, and wouldn't need to worry, since the logic of that phrase usually dictates, that because I'm getting tons of coverage, even though it's bad, I'm successful...somehow.

Just cause it won't likely really hurt them, doesn't make the negative publicity any less shit for them.

If it ends up being as bad as the publicity is making it out to be, then I could definitely see a BvS scenario where it might do just fine on its opening weekend then drop like a stone the following. It's true movies like Transformers continuously get away with being dreck, but there's just as many movies that don't.

• Thumbs Up 2

I genuinely hope that when the movie finally comes out it turns out to be awesome and everyone's tune changes. I know I might as wish I could fly but still I can dream.

I mean don't get me wrong the movie could be bad but I've never ever seen so much hatred for a movie before it's release before.

gxuM60O.gif

The thought of all the bad publicity maybe making this film a commercial success reminds me of the plot of a Father Ted episode, where the Craggy Island priests are supposed to protest against the showing of The Passion of St. Tibulus, a blasphemous film. Instead of turning everyone away the protest inadvertently made the film the most successful in Craggy Island's history. I'll like to watch the box-office when Ghostbusters 2016 comes out.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...

Moviebob recently made a little video column summarizing the argument I attempted to get across earlier: that despite the sexism or even the movie looking blah, one of the biggest problems with the film's reception and in general nerd circles has simply been fan entitlement:

• Thumbs Up 5

• 4 weeks later...

... Are they just trying now to make everything about this movie awful?

• Thumbs Up 4

Ehhhhh....the song isn't exactly what I'd call horrible, but the remix of the original theme that was in the trailers was a lot better and more fitting IMO.

44 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

... Are they just trying now to make everything about this movie awful?

I honestly can't say. I had a slight, maybe 5% bit of hope that maybe, just maybe, this movie would surprise viewers. Maybe not as a good reboot, but as a decent comedy/parody of the Ghostbusters. The stars are decent, successful comedians after all.

Then there was a fart joke in a TV spot.

And at that point, I knew there was no saving it.

• 2 weeks later...

So you know the phrase, don't feed the haters? Well Ghostbusters ignores that completely by HAVING A SCENE WHERE THEY MOCK HATERS.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/revealed-the-ghostbusters-scene-that-was-added-to-142244826.html

This is just so so stupid. People are hating the film already guys, you aren't gonna win people over by making fun of them! This movie is stupider and stupider every time it grabs attention.

• Thumbs Up 3

And I bet Paul intentionally misses the actual legit complaints and instead attacks the easier targets. The reasons to skip this film keep stacking up.

• Thumbs Up 5

Why do people keep acting like the backlash against this film isn't inherently intertwined with the decision to cast women and that it doesn't lack manufactured, overwrought Gamergate-y outrage from the recognition of that? If you don't want to see the movie because it looks bad, then don't watch it.

• Thumbs Up 1

lol that is so stupid.

If they wanted to get back at 'internet commentators' have a ghost with a keyboard being busted or something. 

This is like that scene in Godzilla where they take try to take the piss out of those two famous american critics and the critics responded with 'If you were going to take the piss out of us, at least have the monster eat us in the movie!'

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

Why do people keep acting like the backlash against this film isn't inherently intertwined with the decision to cast women and that it doesn't lack manufactured Gamergate-y outrage from the recognition of that? If you don't want to see the movie because it looks bad, then don't watch it.

honestly if i see it in theaters it likely will simply be because i wasn't in the mood for finding dory and because i'm in the mood to analyze a movie and figure out what it needed to work properly.

also considering i grew up having to watch some of my sisters barbie movies i wasn't bothered so much with it being a all female cast but rather the fact that it could very well be as lazy writen as most girl targeted media tends to be from what i've seen case in point the jems movie last year.

if anything i'm just hoping that if the movie fails badly that the lego dimensions story pack does the premise justice and delivers an enjoyable set of lvls to play though at the very least.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Why do people keep acting like the backlash against this film isn't inherently intertwined with the decision to cast women and that it doesn't lack manufactured, overwrought Gamergate-y outrage from the recognition of that?

Some of the backlash is likely that, but inherently would imply that that's been the sole reason amongst all the backlash. Some if it is that inherent issue, but all of it? No way.

I myself could care less of the genders, and I'll certainly give this movie a fair shot, but the advertisement campaign so far has not impressed me, in fact it's done the opposite, strictly because, the presentation has presented it for me, to not be a good or even really tastefully humorous film.

I've got complaints, but they don't have to do with replacing male with female roles, hell I was actually kinda hyped at first with the cast listed, but then the trailers, advertisements, possibly leaked script, and some interactions that the filmmakers had with the audience are what have brought this film down a peg in my eyes for the time being.

And yeah, if this "jab" is also done in pour taste and doesn't choose targets actually deserving of being the butt of it and generalizes sweeping across the board, I'm not gonna support that endeavor.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

Some of the backlash is likely that, but inherently would imply that that's been the sole reason amongst all the backlash. Some if it is that inherent issue, but all of it? No way.

I myself could care less of the genders, and I'll certainly give this movie a fair shot, but the advertisement campaign so far has not impressed me, in fact it's done the opposite, strictly because, the presentation has presented it for me, to not be a good or even really tastefully humorous film.

I've got got complaints, but they don't have to do with replacing male with female roles, hell I was actually kinda hyped at first with the cast listed, but then the trailers, advertisements, possibly leaked script, and some interactions that the filmmakers had with the audience are what have brought this film done a peg in my eyes for the time being.

And yeah, if this "jab" is also done in pour taste and doesn't choose targets actually deserving of being the butt of it and generalizes sweeping across the board, I'm not gonna support that endeavor.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I would have given the movie a look but after the director and cast decided that all haters were "sexist, misogynistic man babies" then they lost me.

They have somehow got the existing ghostbusters fanbase, who were the most likely to see the film, completely alienated.

Those same people are fine with diverse teams, heck take Extreme Ghostbusters - which had a guy in a wheelchair and he was badass. Heck even the IDW comics have an all female ghostbusters team but that treats the franchise, it's characters and fans with respect.

As for the leaked script it is all but confirmed. He noted moments that have been since shown, such as the dance number, the ghost at the concert and there being a female Slimer.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, kirby1up said:

honestly if i see it in theaters it likely will simply be because i wasn't in the mood for finding dory and because i'm in the mood to analyze a movie and figure out what it needed to work properly.

also considering i grew up having to watch some of my sisters barbie movies i wasn't bothered so much with it being a all female cast but rather the fact that it could very well be as lazy writen as most girl targeted media tends to be from what i've seen case in point the jems movie last year.

if anything i'm just hoping that if the movie fails badly that the lego dimensions story pack does the premise justice and delivers an enjoyable set of lvls to play though at the very least.

You don't need to clarify that you aren't bothered by all-female casts (although I wouldn't have being forced to watch Barbie movies as the illustrative example). That's the point. You can criticize the movie without being implicated as having a problem with women.

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

I've got got complaints, but they don't have to do with replacing male with female roles, hell I was actually kinda hyped at first with the cast listed, but then the trailers, advertisements, possibly leaked script, and some interactions that the filmmakers had with the audience are what have brought this film done a peg in my eyes for the time being.

It doesn't imply that's the sole reason for the backlash. It directly states that it's the originating factor of the backlash. There can be other things to react against, such as writing, effects, etc., as there always tend to be with mediocre/bad-looking movies. But that doesn't have shit to do with the price of tea in China, which is that there is a sexist, entitled nerd-raging, Gamergate-y backlash element to the online criticism of this particular film, which is why it's such a sticking point versus any other shitty looking reboot or remake. Denying that it is there, downplaying it, and tip-toeing around it doesn't do anyone any favors. In fact, it deserves to be called out, like the film is doing. And the thing is: the film gets the moral right to do that regardless of being unfunny or a professional product. Because being unfunny or being a professional doesn't disqualify anyone for standing against sexism in nerd culture.

If you want to criticize the movie for looking bad, then just criticize the movie for looking bad. I've criticized the movie for looking bad and- wow!- no one accused me of being sexist! You know why? First I didn't say anything sexist, and most importantly, I didn't implicate myself as a closet sexist by refuting accusations no one accused me of. "Doth protest too much" and all of that. If every time you talk about this film you have to discuss how you aren't a sexist, how some of your best friends are women, how you have no problem with Feig casting women, how it hurts your feelings or whatever when talking about this movie that you have to clarify something no one asked you to clarify, and any of this other shit, you're either too defensive and need to just chill, or you actually have problems with sexism and you should fix them. It's either one or the other at this point.

• Thumbs Up 3

24 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Why do people keep acting like the backlash against this film isn't inherently intertwined with the decision to cast women and that it doesn't lack manufactured, overwrought Gamergate-y outrage from the recognition of that? 

Probably because the cast isn't the only reason the movie is getting a lot of hate. Criticisms I've seen include the writing, effects, and even the version of the theme song they're using.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, there are criticisms that are directed towards the artistic and technical specifications of the film.

But that doesn't exclude the existence of the misogynistic, entitled nerd element of the overall backlash that has been here since the cast was announced (which was before the trailers released) which has since then co-opted the larger dissatisfaction against this film's artistic merit as a shield in order to carry out coordinated bashing and harassment campaigns against this film's existence, marketing, and the social media presence of cast and crew members, because every single time someone brings up this insidious element, someone else- like many of the well-meaning SSMB members here- who has absolutely no stake in the film nor have even been implicated as being sexist by anyone within any given conversation can't help but say "I'm not sexist!" or "You're ignoring real concerns!" or "We have the right to be angry!" when talking about this issue.

It is exactly like that other movement I've been name-dropping constantly, a movement which- if you haven't noticed on a Sonic forum of all places- doesn't inhibit people from actually criticizing the game review industry. For once, gamers have figured out something that movie-going audiences have not.

1 hour ago, Nepenthe said:

Why do people keep acting like the backlash against this film isn't inherently intertwined with the decision to cast women and that it doesn't lack manufactured, overwrought Gamergate-y outrage from the recognition of that? If you don't want to see the movie because it looks bad, then don't watch it.

I never did that? I understand it's a big complaint people have. The "ew girlbusters " complaints to me I just don't consider legit criticisms compared to the other complaints that I deem more worth bringing up. I'm already not going to see it, so I don't see why you're telling me not to see it.:/

• Thumbs Up 1

You said--

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

And I bet Paul intentionally misses the actual legit complaints and instead attacks the easier targets.

-- as if the GhostGate (that's what I'm calling it now) harassment isn't a legitimate thing to mock and is instead just a completely irrelevant and separate thing over there being used by the crew to ignore criticism of the other film's issues, which I don't know why anyone expected anything else different, since- as long as I've been alive- artistic issues with a product have never been actively acknowledged by the creators in the marketing and release phase, much less in the product itself in an overt manner. If Feig was going to mock any of the meta commentary surrounding this film, it would be GhostGate, a thing which everyone agrees- whether or not anyone asks for one's opinion about it- that they're not apart of and find disgusting.

So what is the point of your quoted statement other than to separate GhostGate from the overall issue (which you can't) and downplay its effects on pop culture simultaneously (which is not a good thing to do)?