Awoo.

Ghostbusters "Who ya gonna call? The Meh busters!"

Badnik Mechanic

7 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Clips of the final battle have surfaced. Spoiler warning, obviously. 

Gotta admit, I'm amazed that they still use horrid early 2000s live action Scooby Doo movie CGI these days.

It seems that it is not just the fans that don't have faith in this stupid reboot. It looks like the movie theaters aren't much supportive for this film either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/comments/4rvm9z/the_movie_theaters_have_no_faith_in_ghostbusters/

And this is going against Secret Life of Pets and Star Trek Beyond, which premieres the week after, one that has more marketing behind them and the other with huge fandom following/support. So yeah, barely anyone is pumped up for this and it definitely isn't going to get its money back.

Bump. Rotten Tomatoes score is in and, well, remember when I said that I was expecting the film to get mixed reviews at best. Well, I was kinda close. Seemingly, mixed-to-positive. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016/reviews/

Or "generally favorable" as Metacritic refers to it (even though it currently has a 62). 

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/ghostbusters-2016/critic-reviews

I'm gonna take IGNs review for granted as it sounds exactly like what the trailers showed. Pacing and Editing=bad but the main 4 carry the film. I still don't like how they wrote Patty at ALL but, like all of her roles, I'd probably enjoy Melissa's the most.

9 hours ago, PSI Wind said:

I'm gonna take IGNs review for granted as it sounds exactly like what the trailers showed. Pacing and Editing=bad but the main 4 carry the film. I still don't like how they wrote Patty at ALL but, like all of her roles, I'd probably enjoy Melissa's the most.

The thing with Patty to remember is this isn't just how they wrote her. This is just who Leslie Jones is. She takes pride in being a big loud black woman. Just check out any SNL Sketch she's in or read her Twitter.

Well one, it wasn't that. It was the whole Street Smart thing and what job she has. And two, from what someone said, the trailer scenes are really the only ones where she's really loud so yeah.

4 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

This isn't all that surprising. It's a comedy by the guy and actors who did Bridesmaids and Spy and shit. The real fun is in watching the fallout from people who think the critics are being paid off because trailers apparently can't be misleading.

I think for once, YouTube comments might actually be fun to watch come Friday.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Brad said:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Well I never thought it would actually happen, but the meme has come true

Mehbusters no more

Huh... Well, how about that:

On 7/9/2016 at 1:50 PM, Omega Pipe said:

I'm not that excited for it tbh, but I do think it may actually turn out to be just good despite all of the really trailers I've seen (that I thought were meh to bad) and massive controversies surrounding it.

I still don't think I'm going to watch in theaters though, maybe when it randomly pops onto TV someday.

The film DOES have public screenings though, just not in the U.S...

I'm not defending the majority of people that are doing it but some of those are bound to be legitimate and I wouldn't be surprised if some people were giving it a 10 without seeing it either.

The potential legitimacy of any single vote is insignificant to the entire observable pattern of behavior that's been going on on part of scorned nerds.

18 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

This isn't all that surprising. It's a comedy by the guy and actors who did Bridesmaids and Spy and shit. The real fun is in watching the fallout from people who think the critics are being paid off because trailers apparently can't be misleading.

I love the "Oh, they're just being paid off argument" so much because it's so damn asinine. Sure maybe a few could have been paid but the way people are talking they act like every single person that likes it are in Sony's pockets. Including guys  like Kevin Smith and Patton Oswalt (Who people so wonderfully responded to with comments about his Wife playing Slimer).

So, question. Has the film actually opened yet, and that metacritic score is taking into account both critic and public opinion, or just critical opinions?

Because I'm not exactly a person who trusts critic opinions considering some of the shit I've seen them do in the game industry.

7 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I love the "Oh, they're just being paid off argument" so much because it's so damn asinine. Sure maybe a few could have been paid but the way people are talking they act like every single person that likes it are in Sony's pockets. Including guys  like Kevin Smith and Patton Oswalt (Who people so wonderfully responded to with comments about his Wife playing Slimer).

I'm not sure about actors or such, but going by major critic websites, it's a possibility that at least one or two of them could have been bought off, or sweetened up, Jim Sterling did a really good video on that kind of practice actually in which certain game developers gave critics certain things to have a bias towards their games, for example, the developers of Witcher flying out Angry Joe and several other people to their offices and treating them to a crap ton of things, I'm not saying that is the case, but considering how much Sony has staked on a reboot of one of the most beloved franchises, and the negativity surrounding it, I don't think it's impossible for them to have the resources to buy critics. Again, not saying it's the case, but it's a possibility.

Either way, I'll still likely not be seeing it, as none of the trailers have interested me. If the trailers have misrepresented the film, that isn't my problem. That's a fault on the marketing of the film, and the consequences have just made me completely uninterested, 

• Thumbs Up 1

There's no reason to assume critics have been payed off in any significant way with no evidence like this. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Also, the film industry isn't the game industry. For one thing, film critics generally have higher standards.

Regardless, it's telling that people find it hard to believe that a guy who makes good comedies made another good comedy and as a result are willing to entertain conspiracies, as if they've never been misled by trailers.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, color me impressed!

Really, if the movie really is as decent as the reviews are turning out to say, then maybe I will actually go see it. Finding Dory is still my next priority, but all aside, I'm...kinda happy to see this film doing so well.

I mean, I'm sick of all these reboots and sequels and all, but if this actually is a GOOD reboot, then no harm done, I guess.

Still though, how could the trailers and tv spots be so awful? If this film is at least halfway decent, why was the marketing so bad?

I'd be surprised if this film turns out to be good after all. Because the trailers, the things Richard Roeper described in his review all makes it sound like an unbelievable mess of a movie. In the end, I do hope that despite the horrendous trailers, and awful things that apparently happen in the film (like what happens in the final boss), the film does turn out to be decent.

Seems to be reviewing pretty well on RT.

VtLj4ze.png

From what I can tell the cast is great, but the direction is a bit shitty/boring. I think it's going to be a real middle of the road movie, good but not great, etc. and that all the gamergate nonsense gave it way more attention than it would have gotten otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1