Awoo.

Ghostbusters "Who ya gonna call? The Meh busters!"

Badnik Mechanic

11 hours ago, Remy said:

Seems to be reviewing pretty well on RT.

VtLj4ze.png

From what I can tell the cast is great, but the direction is a bit shitty/boring. I think it's going to be a real middle of the road movie, good but not great, etc. and that all the gamergate nonsense gave it way more attention than it would have gotten otherwise.

Well, Jermeny Jahns give a different impression of the movie of the metacritic description.

Basically, he says while the movie has some decent chuckles, at best, it's just lukewarm and doesn't stand on its own due to the many references and other things it does to emulate the original. He's probably the best person to explain exactly how middle road the movie is. It's got alright laughs, but no extremely good jokes, 2 of the Ghostbusters are funny, while the other 2 aren't, apparently Chris Hensworth gets annoying around the end due to them using the same joke with him, and the villain is a bit shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Well, Jermeny Jahns give a different impression of the movie of the metacritic description.

Basicallu, he says while the movie has some decent chuckles, at best, it's just lukewarm and doesn't stand on its own due to the many references and other things it does to emulate the original. He's probably the best person to explain exactly how middle road the movie is. It's got alright laughs, but no extremely good jokes, 2 of the Ghostbusters are funny, while the other 2 aren't, apparently Chris Hensworth gets annoying around the end due to them using the same joke with him, and the villain is a bit shit.

Since you posted Jeremy Jahns we might as well get Chris Stuckmann's in here too.

He felt the same about the film. It's ok, but not that good. It's just middle ground.

26 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Basicallu, he says while the movie has some decent chuckles, at best, it's just lukewarm and doesn't stand on its own due to the many references and other things it does to emulate the original. He's probably the best person to explain exactly how middle road the movie is. It's got alright laughs, but no extremely good jokes, 2 of the Ghostbusters are funny, while the other 2 aren't, apparently Chris Hensworth gets annoying around the end due to them using the same joke with him, and the villain is a bit shit.

About what I expected it. Not as bad as people are saying, not as good as the optimists hoped it would be.

Say what you will about Jeremy Jahns and Chris "Zod's snapped neck" Stuckmann, but they are probably the most reliable source for what the general public will think about a movie. I'm not surprised that they felt so "meh" about it. That's what it looked like to me anyway.

4 hours ago, Mark Hoppus said:

Since you posted Jeremy Jahns we might as well get Chris Stuckmann's in here too.

He felt the same about the film. It's ok, but not that good. It's just middle ground.

Holy fuck I hate the stupid faces he makes in his thumbnails

• Thumbs Up 1

The way people are just going around movie websites rating this movie shittily is a pretty sad sight, honestly. 

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm sure none of them are doing it because they honestly think the movie is a rotting pile of shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's almost like they were doing it before the movie was even released. 

But no, I am completely also sure this a totally rational and normal, non-hyperbolic response to this of all movies. 

15 minutes ago, Toby said:

I'm sure none of them are doing it because they honestly think the movie is a rotting pile of shit.

I'm sure there are people that legit don't like it and give it a bad rating, but considering this is the Internet and we've had on record movies and games simply shat on for not being what fans wanted, it's hard to argue there aren't fanboys and people just rating negatively just cause.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reasoning and honesty behind any single individual vote is irrelevant. It's the melodramatic hissyfit exemplified by the pattern of blind downvoting (that was established before the movie released, so actual impressions now are that much more irrelevant as a defense) in relation to the rest of the sexist/nerd-ragey dialogue we've seen for months that is the point. If you're going to willingly engage in the entirely optional and anonymous act of placing a 1 or 0 vote for the film on review aggregate websites, even if it's your honest vote, you do not have the ground to complain about any so-called honest folks being assimilated into the moral fold of the majority. It's like Moviebob says: if you're a white person upset with Obama's drone policies, don't protest at the same time and place as the KKK rally.

• Thumbs Up 1

What kind of son calls their mother a "misogynist" and post it on youtube? 

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

What kind of son calls their mother a "misogynist" and post it on youtube? 

He wasn't seriously calling his mother a misogynist. It was a shot at all the people on the internet who began ranting that any criticism of the movie was just people being misogynists. It's the same reason that they both go into a rant over people claiming that they're "childhoods were raped" by the movie. They're taking the piss out of both sides of the argument and stating exactly how little sense it makes to go to each extreme.

If you watch the video, Doug/Rob literally state that their mother isn't a misogynist, and is actually a very strong woman.

• Thumbs Up 4

I for one can't wait to see it. Based off the trailers I wasn't really expecting original ghost busters (of which I love) but I expected it to be decently funny and entertaining enough and it seems to be. Its reception is pretty similar to most summer blockbusters I can think of so no problems there. I like all the actors in their own right and I won't lie when I say I was excited for an all female team, though I would have seen it anyways. I'll probably go tonight so heres hoping I like it.

• Thumbs Up 2

well i saw it yesterday and to avoid spoiling the movie by going into too many details.i'll keep it short and simple for now.

it is not garbage but i wouldn't call it perfect either

the first chunk of the movie i found to be bleh in my opinion but the mid and end parts i found to be enjoyable overall

the cgi ghosts in this movie i think were designed really good

there are a bunch of cameo apperance scattered though the movie (and famliar scene locations)

this movie will likely either be meh or enjoyable depending on your tastes of whats humor and what isn't but to me i'd say that if makes back enough money in sales that they should consider making a sequel (and iron out the problems i did notice)

if anything the tie in game is what i'd avoid the most about this movie  (the lego dimensions story pack will likely be fun though)

• Thumbs Up 1

Angry Joe and crew give their thoughts on the film.

Spoiler

Two 3/10's and one 2/10 from Joe himself, giving merit only to a couple of jokes and some of the special effects. Mostly calling it an overlong SNL skit and that it had a terrible and awful script with barely much humor in it and bad character stereotypes with characters who barely have much development. A perfect example of 'cash grab' and an insult to the fans and it had no reason to exist.

Also, the producer who wants to make an 'endless franchise' out of this needs to get her head out of the clouds.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/16/2016 at 10:09 AM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Well, Doug and Rob Walker's real thoughts on it is out, and they flat out explained something about all sides of the argument right off the bat.

They flat out state their mother must be a "misogynist" because of the sheer fact she disliked the movie. As in all four of them (Doug, Rob, and their parents) went to see the film, and their mother was the one who flat out seemed to have the most hate for it, out and out stating it sucked, and she wanted to rewatch the original again. 

And then Doug and Rob just summed up the entire mess with this movie's reception in general. There is absolutely no balance at all between opinions. You show dislike towards the movie, and suddenly, you have no valid criticisms or complaints, you're just an out and out "misogynist", or an idiot who thinks the movie is a complete and total disgrace to all things Ghostbusters. Then there's the other end of the spectrum that keeps saying it's going to be good/it has to be good, or whatever. Rob ends it by flat out stating all of the internet generally acted like complete idiots by either going to one opposite end of the spectrum or the other.

I'd heavily recommend watching the video, because they do give a good view on the whole view on the opinions regarding the film in general. 

Doug & Rob Walker are absolutely right. It's amazing just how stupid both sides were acting about this film. If you liked the movie, it's solely because you're a feminist, or a paid shill by Sony. Or if you hated the film, it's because you're a sexist nerd, who can't stand women in lead roles, or you're just butthurt about your childhood.

Just fucking stupidity on both sides of the argument.

Anyways, the film apparently came in at #2 in the box office, making $46 million.

• Thumbs Up 1

Condemning both sides is not an indication of profound thought. The truth isn't always in the middle. If the brothers think that the issue with this film's pre-release reception is with blanket accusation of dislike of the film being equated to active misogyny, then they don't actually understand the issue at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/15/2016 at 3:26 PM, Brad said:

The way people are just going around movie websites rating this movie shittily is a pretty sad sight, honestly. 

Hmmm,  I hadn't seen it yet myself,  but knowing how Rotten Tomatoes works,  the Audience and Critic scores which detail how many people actually liked /postively-as-opposed-to-superiorly-negatively-reviewed it,  doesn't seem unprecedented in any cases. 

If they didn't like it,  then they didn't like it. 

Now if you're referring to say, something like Metacritic which tallies up an average based on review scores then I guess I'll have to wait and see it later on DVD  (not in the mood for supporting SONY pictures considering some of their past crud actions ) to see what all the fuss is about before debating the matter in full. 

So, Richard Roeper is getting attacked for his review: http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/ghostbusters-hater-roeper-ive-had-a-dose-of-some-freaky-posts/

Also, Variety.com reported that the film needs to make $300 million globally to break even, and make even more to justify a sequel.

Seeing as how this film did $46 million on opening weekend, I'm not liking this film's chances.

• Thumbs Up 1

Saw this movie and really liked it TBH. I was pretty apprehensive going in, like sick stomach uneasy omg i'm going to have a terrible 2 hours apprehensive, nd I don't generally think comedy sequels are ever good, not to mention remakes which are even riskier so I was pretty much expecting the worst. 

Honestly, I really liked Ghostbusters. I thought the opening scene was great and throwback-y, I like all the characters. I thought it was a fun movie with some great gags (and yeah, some stinkers too but w/e) I even thought some of the ghost designs were actually pretty sweet. Worst part of the movie is maybe that there were probably one too many cameos. I don't fully get why roeper hated the whole movie so much, dude makes it sound like it's Grown Ups 2 level or some shit but it's way better than that.

I also thought the movie was kind of meta, 

Spoiler

in that the villian was, IMO a sort of proxy for the online hate/nostalgia obsessed fans blasting the movie. I also like the touch of him turning NYX back into seedy 80s NYC- idolising the past to the max. That's pretty neat

All in all, I'd describe it as "fun" ? Comparing Feig to Feig I'd say Ghostbusters is above the Heat. It's not going to make anyone reasses their life but it is a pretty entertaining comedy. 

EDIT: Also TBH if you got offended by the queef or shot in the balls joke in this movie you need to fucking grow up, lmao. why is being a super prude suddenly cool again?

• Thumbs Up 3

RedLetterMedia's review is here.

Regardless of your feelings on the picture by this point, I think people can at least come to an agreement that making a big social media fight over it has to be one of the silliest wastes of time in recent history. I mean, it's just another remake(reboot?) of an 80's movie after all.

Unsurprisingly, they didn't like it.