Awoo.

Weston Super Sonic 2016

Rurifuu

wssstandardforum.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, we're heading towards that time of year again! Weston Super Sonic is back!

This January we'll be celebrating our 3rd year hosting the event in Weston Super Mare. We had a super successful event last year. For this year to celebrate the start of Sonic's 25th anniversary, we're looking to make the event bigger and better!

Weston Super Sonic is an event that was originally created back in January of 2014. It’s hard to believe that from beginnings as humble as this, we were able to move on to such bigger and better things. 2015 proved to be the biggest show that the pair of us had ever done, with nearly 200 people coming through the doors on the day to take part in our tournaments, watch our panels, and meet a wide range of industry guests.

Now we’re back, and we want to put on another great show for Sonic Fans to get involved with.

In January of 2016, we’re hoping to return to The Grand Pier’s regency suite. 2015 demonstrated to us that it was an excellent venue for WSS, providing plenty of space for a stage, exhibitors, and most importantly lots of attendees. It’s also perfectly equipped for an event of this type, especially when you have one of the largest arcades in the country just downstairs.

After working on and subsequently putting on the 2015 show, we know exactly what works, and what doesn't for this kind of event, meaning that we’re more than ready and prepared for the event ahead. In addition, we’re familiar with our venue, and they’re familiar with us, meaning that there’s very little that can stand in the way from an organisation standpoint.

Our ticket distribution is working differently this year, as we are hosting a Kickstarter to fund the event. This of course begs the question: If we were able to do all that last year without a kickstarter, why do we need one for 2016?

To begin with, we are an unofficial event. We’re not backed by any major sponsors like SEGA. Last year, we were very fortunate to do exceptionally well with two fundraising auctions and some very generous donations which ended up providing an enormous chunk of the funds we needed, and allowed us to create some truly great extras and invite a load of brilliant guests. Unfortunately, due to the nature of what we were auctioning last year, we can’t take that approach this time, which is why we’re asking you guys directly to help us. More details will be posted once the Kickstarter goes live in a couple of weeks!

We've already have interest from several special guests who wish to attend, as well as a good number of exhibitors ready to help us make this the biggest WSS yet! We hope you'll stay tuned for developments, as well as help us celebrate our 3rd anniversary in style!

• Thumbs Up 3

Kickstarter eh? Well seeing how well received the last two went I'm sure choosing this route isn't without fault. If you like, I do work on RadioSEGA and I can make a front page post about the announcement if you like. Just DM me with what you want me to put up and I'll be happy to do it.

I also believe you met and are good acquaintances with Simon (aka foreversonic) and Graham (FastFeet), two of our site's admins I take it?

And as has become standard procedure for the last several events, this topic is now pinned to increase exposure.

Best of luck with this! I'm hopeful it'll be bigger and better than both its predecessors. :)

I will share any fundraising or other event updates on the various social media I manage when you have it as well.

Yes, we know ForeverSonic :) He helped us out a great deal as well as DJ the event for us in January this year. Awesome guy! Fastfeet joined us as well, and we received a whole load of help from James as well. All a class set of people :)

Any help with promotion will be a brilliant help to us all of course :)

Yes, we know ForeverSonic :) He helped us out a great deal as well as DJ the event for us in January this year. Awesome guy! Fastfeet joined us as well, and we received a whole load of help from James as well. All a class set of people :)

Any help with promotion will be a brilliant help to us all of course :)

• 3 weeks later...

And in one fell swoop...

Tw3x044.png

Weston Super Sonic has hit its funding goal!

We're amazed. Thank you to everybody who has donated thus far! We have the means to host the event! If the donations keep up, we can afford to bring in some great guests and more! Right now, we're batting at £1156, which puts us not far away from being able to add a further two guests to our lineup :)

People will be wanting to hear who we've got in mind for our guests, but be assured that you will be finding out soon.

Thanks again everybody!

Edited by JonoD
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

We have less than 24 hours until this year's WSS Kickstarter funding ends! We're just £66 away from our £1600 goody bag stretch goal! Can you help us help every backer get goody bags?!

We still have plenty of rewards left, including t-shirts, pin badges, tickets and a few of last year's goody bags!

Meanwhile we've been chatting with our special guests, so expect an update on that soon! We're working with them on trying to set up something quite special.

Edited by Rurifuu
  • Thumbs Up 2

Woo-hoo!

You are now an official backer of Weston Super Sonic 2016.

I guess this means I'll be going too.

Sun, Surf, Sand, More surf, more sand, bit more sun, bit more sand... and the Sonikku. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, they made it past 1,600! That's fantastic, congratulations guys! Looking forward to this quite a bit!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We're delighted to announce that Weston Super Sonic 2016 free ticket registration is now live!

http://westonsupersonic.wix.com/weston-super-sonic#!registration/c19io

But you'll need to hurry, we don't have as many tickets available as last year!

Also we're delighted to announce that Duncan Gutteridge will be returning to WSS! 

For those of you who didn’t get the chance to stop by his table last year, Duncan is a talented artist who was responsible for several incredible pieces of classic Sonic the Hedgehog artwork throughout Sonic’s early years, which made its way to several pieces of merchandise and even the official Sonic the Hedgehog Calendar in 1993!
Duncan will be back to share his fantastic work with everyone once again, and is set to give a very exciting demonstration of his skills… Stick with us for all the details!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys, it's Jay from that Sonic youtube thing... we have tickets for this sold out convention up for grabs! But the contest closes at the end of the 9th! So better hurry up!

• 3 months later...

Aw man I can't believe the tickets sold out and stuff! There was me assuming I'd just pay on the door ._.

I was also assuming it was in summer so it was a shock to me when I literally just checked a moment ago and found it was in just 5 days!

Well, that was interesting xD

I wonder if I can still snag tickets anywhere.

Were all the tickets free? I think it would deffo be best to charge for them!

Anyway, I'll see if I can track some down but... c'est la vie I suppose!

I bet a lot of people on here have forgotten Weston Super Sonic is happening... and in just a couple of days!!!

Myself and JonoD are planning a little pre-convention meetup at the CEX cafe on Friday 15th at 2:30pm. A more relaxed environment where we can have coffee and cake, play some video games and have a chat with those of you in the area! We've also got a small handful of goodies we've love to give out to those of you that can make it!

For those of you that can't make it to the pre-convention meetup, we hope to see you on Saturday! We've got an exciting line up for the day, with workshops from Duncan Gutteridge, Ferran Rodriguez and a chat with SonicpoX about his work! We've also got a mystery reveal from First 4 Figures again, as well as a live Ask Uncle Poxxy, hosted by The Sonic Show.

We've got a huge number of exhibitors this year compared to last year, ranging from general Sonic Merchandise to artwork made by very talented artists, as well as one of our exhibitors making some amazing sonic head cushions!

We may have even more in store! Hope to see you there!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll be honest I probably would have forgotten if I hadn't put it in my diary – hadn't heard much news about WSS since the ticket launch.

Still, really looking forward it – gutted I missed last year due to illness, and will be good to see a lot of folk for the first time in a while.

Anyone else staying at the Premier Inn?
Couldn't really be much closer to the venue, so looks like I can get a lie-in Saturday morning! I'm staying Friday and Saturday night.

wss_hotel.thumb.png.cce4004b31fb6f211a48

• Thumbs Up 1

Well now its been announced I can probably post it here. 

I along with SSMB member Lucky will be selling merch at the event! Ho ho! 

oz62e1y.png

We'll be selling a bunch of Sonic & Sega merch ranging from a near complete Sonic the Comic collection (including a few poster mags, specials even a signed issue), a number of "Sonic der comic" issues, action figures, pin badges, collectables, T-shirts, hoodies, plushies and a bunch of other items, some of which are quite rare now.

Really looking forward to this.

59 minutes ago, Retrix said:

Ahoy Ahoy!

• Thumbs Up 2

A question. Where can I watch this event live? The Sonic Show twitter suggested to watch their livestream, so where do I watch exactly? (please share the link to the page, twitch, youtube or what do they have) So that I would be ready to follow the event.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Retrix said:

Me and my buddies will be! Going to travel tomorrow. This is a much needed trip, I haven't been away from home since SoS2013 :-p 

2 hours ago, Spееdy said:

A question. Where can I watch this event live? The Sonic Show twitter suggested to watch their livestream, so where do I watch exactly? (please share the link to the page, twitch, youtube or what do they have) So that I would be ready to follow the event.

Thanks in advance.

You can catch all the goings on right here: 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Me and my buddies will be! Going to travel tomorrow. This is a much needed trip, I haven't been away from home since SoS2013 :-p 

15 hours ago, Lucky said:

Also going to be staying at the Premier Inn. Getting in on Friday afternoon and there until Sunday. :)

Wow, both of you also coming from Glasgow? :)

I'm flying from Glasgow to Bristol after work this evening, probably getting on for 11pm by the time I get to the hotel.

• The topic was unpinned