Awoo.

Welcome To Your New-Look SSMB!

Dreadknux

Glad we can finally talk about this!  I've been really excited to see this transition made, because I'm really interested to see how the transition affects everyone!

I'm really diggin' the new look, too!   Much easier on the eyes and is quite fresh!

But yeah, be sure to let us know if you have any issues or questions!

Just a few notes to make:

• Some work still needs to be done on the skin. Buttons, in particular, are off colour. Themed skins will return at some point in the future.
  • The friends system is gone - this wasn't our doing. IBS changed it to a followers system more akin to social media.
  • Badges aren't lost (we backed it up) - we just need to upgrade the plugin for it. This requires a rewrite since it hasn't been updated in years. They will return.

Enjoy!

Edited by Chris
  • Thumbs Up 4

Everything feels and looks super smooth to me. Amazing job to everybody who worked on the transition and design. New era, here we come!

Since I posted it into another topic before normal members could comment.

Well, what's my opinion on it? It's a really mixed bag. I like how Status updates are a lot more fleshed out here, with the option to like comments and statuses, and being able to report them, considering we've had issues before with statuses getting out of hand. Of course, I'm also happy that the majority of bugs are almost definitely fixed now.

But with that said, there's a whole lot of negatives as well. The theme isn't as nice as the selectable themes that fitted more into the Sonic theme, and allowing users to choose a theme that represents their favourite character. I don't know why a lot of notification options have been downright disabled which makes everything annoying. I wish we could have gotten some prior warning that our friends lists would be wiped and we'd have to start from scratch, and the board overall feels like it's lost a lot of what made it unique, 

I'm going to give it a chance though as I know the admins and mods are probably still getting used to it themselves and still getting features up and running but right now, there's a lot more negatives for me than positives.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question: Don't you think it's a bit problematic to have the Member Feedback and Announcements at the bottom of the main page?

Something like this seems perfect to remain at the top so that people can see what's up when you make your announcments. As well as see the rules.

I know popular discussion is the one front and center, but at the same time, when people need to be aware of something it would help that they see it front and center before they continue on to the other parts of the forums.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

Question: Don't you think it's a bit problematic to have the Member Feedback and Announcements at the bottom of the main page?

Something like this seems perfect to remain at the top so that people can see what's up when you make your announcments.

Announcements already appear at the top of the page, so if there's something major, everyone should see it.

Otherwise it shouldn't affect anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Few other undocumented changes/additions.

* star rating system gone.

* Status now do/have the following. 

1. Be liked.

2. Be reported.

3. Can have video replies.

4. Can have images posted in them.

* Can now follow members (follow me pls).

* Forum reorganised some forums gone,  some moved around- number of factors resulted in this.

* art/showcase forums merged into one general forum.

* Redirect bug is finally fixed.

Plus some other stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Announcements already appear at the top of the page, so if there's something major, everyone should see it.

Otherwise it shouldn't affect anything.

I meant the overall subforums, but it's whatever...

What about the rules tho? Now THAT needs to be at the top.

The decision was made to move them down because, outside of major forum announcements (that the new forum software allows us to preempt the subforums with anyway), there generally isn't much of a reason for a seasoned member to have to scroll past them every time they log in to get to the actual discussion forums.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there any specific why notification options are disabled?

What about the rules tho? Now THAT needs to be at the top.

That's what I meant.  Their placement on the forum shouldn't have any bearing on anything.

As for the rules, yeah, that's a good point because I have no idea where the rules link is even at.

Is there any specific why notification options are disabled?

Because that's how it is by default  Again, we're working on it.

You're probably aware of this by now, but apparently guests/non-members can post here now.

I'm probably being Captain Obvious here, but this should be disabled as there is a lot of room for potential abuse with this if left as is.

This was disabled a few minutes ago.

• Thumbs Up 7

You're probably aware of this by now, but apparently guests/non-members can post here now.

I'm probably being Captain Obvious here, but this should be disabled as there is a lot of room for potential abuse with this if left as is.

Believe it has already been corrected.

• Thumbs Up 2

The decision was made to move them down because, outside of major forum announcements (that the new forum software allows us to preempt the subforums with anyway), there generally isn't much of a reason for a seasoned member to have to scroll past them every time they log in to get to the actual discussion forums.

That's what I meant.  Their placement on the forum shouldn't have any bearing on anything.

As for the rules, yeah, that's a good point because I have no idea where the rules link is even at.

Okay, that makes sense.

So what exactly is on the time-table as far as the housecleaning of the upgraded look goes, at least as far as what to expect soon? Or is that kept under wraps and for us to know when you make it? I know badges on on the table, but what else?

*bringing this from SSMB 2015 thread*

Regarding themes, Dreadknux mentioned that they will be re-added later. They are working on that. I'm also confused on a few notification settings being disabled as it seems completely unnecessary, although I think this could be changed fairly easily.

I'm not completely upset regarding friends list disappearing although it is a bit of a downer. The Followers system is sort-of similar to it I guess, but it's honestly not the same. I like the status updates and pretty much everything else though. Everything feels more fleshed-out and smoother.

This is just first-impressions, but I think we as members of the SSMB should understand that this is still a WIP and that they are still working on many things as of now. I wouldn't immediately jump to conclusions yet.

Eh, the Follower system pretty much work the same way. Count me in about the Notifications, but those will hopefully be re-implemented. I hope there'll be a link/icon to the IRC chatroom as well put into the banner bar as well.

Oh and I noticed the SEGASonic Radio subsection is gone from the 'Other Stuff' subforum too. Guess that's dead huh.

Well the 'White Space' look is of course temporary and I understand that. I know Dreadknux and Chris said they are trying to get at least one of the skins up and running soon. 

Personally, the design is slick and more 'cleaner' with the only real complaint I have about it the excessive white areas. But again it's okay with it since it's not going to be a permanent look for long.

Edited by TCB

So basically my current thoughts

I'm having a very laggy time on some parts of the site, particulary ones that open a lot of "windows" such as editing my About Me.
Spoiler tags in there worked VERY oddly too, don't know how they work outside of that. I also assume mobile users especially don't have it easy either.

Outside of that, not to beat a dead horse, but just a Status Update page in general feels neccesary. Text coding, images or videos can't be seen unless you click every update individually and you can't see older ones without going to the users profile (correct me if I'm wrong there) (nvm http://board.sonicstadium.org/statuses/ ). And well, having all of the notification options selectable would be nice.

The site design is nice but... In my honest opinion, it looks rather bland and uninspired.
Maybe this is just me but I get a headache easily from bright backgrounds so a darker shaded theme would be nice.
I assume that's already being worked on.

Lastly, maybe this is just me, but the actual space? The reply space where you type text and stuffs? The white-spacing seems really random, and I suppose that's pretty minor, but still. It got on my nerves reaaaaaal fast.

Edited by Ice Prince Jin
  • Thumbs Up 2

Okay, that makes sense.

So what exactly is on the time-table as far as the housecleaning of the upgraded look goes, at least as far as what to expect soon? Or is that kept under wraps and for us to know when you make it?

I think we're basically cleaning things up as we go.  If we see a problem, we'll try to fix it.  There were so many things changed, it would be impossible to do it all in one go.

*bringing this from SSMB 2015 thread*

Regarding themes, Dreadknux mentioned that they will be re-added later. They are working on that. I'm also confused on a few notification settings being disabled as it seems completely unnecessary, although I think this could be changed fairly easily.

I'm not completely upset regarding friends list disappearing although it is a bit of a downer. The Followers system is sort-of similar to it I guess, but it's honestly not the same. I like the status updates and pretty much everything else though. Everything feels more fleshed-out and smoother.

This is just first-impressions, but I think we as members of the SSMB should understand that this is still a WIP and that they are still working on many things as of now. I wouldn't immediately jump to conclusions yet.

As I said to him previously, the notifications are a default setting that we are looking into.  This is still pretty new to us, as well, so please be patient while we figure out how magnets even fucking work.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm liking what I see so far. Slick design, more profile customizations, no more user ratings. I hope we get more color options later on, because the dominating white and grey is cool, but after a few minutes it's honestly nauseating. Not that it looks ugly, I mean "nauseating" in the same way Sonical was hard on most of our eyes after using the Seasonal Sonic theme for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm liking what I see so far. Slick design, more profile customizations, no more user ratings. I hope we get more color options later on, because the dominating white and grey is cool, but after a few minutes it's honestly nauseating. Not that it looks ugly, I mean "nauseating" in the same way Sonical was hard on most of our eyes after using the Seasonal Sonic theme for a while.

More themes will hopefully be available in the future.  The old ones weren't compatible with IPB4, sadly.