Awoo.

Welcome To Your New-Look SSMB!

Dreadknux

Speaking of themes, I would like to suggest adding a theme or two without this "responsive" feature I read about regarding the resolution. I love browsing SSMB on my Wii U when I'm off the computer, but I'm forced to go into mobile view because it's a theme feature instead of a user setting.

Time for me to pitch in with my 2 cents.

Posting statuses take forever to happen. The box for typing just takes it's sweet time coming up. It makes the process of posting a status less instantanous and more tedious. I had to change browsers because posting on my old browser got very annoying on how often my screen would re-position itself. Also, as a tablet user, I can't seem to access the status page without the use of typing down the page. I heard there is a way to access the status page by hovering my cursor over the SSMB banner, but I'm using my fingers. I wish there can be a button just like in the original SSMB where I can access the status page regardless of device. This new SSMB is just not very mobile-friendly at the moment. Also, the fact that some notifications are disabled right now is kinda unusual. At least it's being fixed.

Yeah, this new theme seems a little bland, but I'll give the makers some time for new themes to be implemented.

Also, why is the friends list removed and replaced with this "following" thing? It's just a bit of hassle to hunt down all my friends again and follow them. I may be a nitwit if it still exists but I don't see but I don't see the preview post (more reply options) button. I dunno, it allows me to do a good double check to see if things worked properly.

There are some things I really like though. The process of posting on regular threads seems better. Finally, I can have access to the features such as bold or underline now. For some reason, my tablet didn't want to show me those features and I can only use them on a computer. The liking statuses is really cool and I can get used to the other asthetic stuff. The status issues needs to be resolved though to make me fully content with this change.

So yeah, I applaud you guys for what you've done but of course, I personally am not 100% content with all of the changes.

• Thumbs Up 3

Also, why is the friends list removed and replaced with this "following" thing? It's just a bit of hassle to hunt down all my friends again and follow them.

The unfortunately because the new forum software codebase doesn't support it, and didn't support importation either.

Gonna be honest, not a fan. Everything is a lot slower and more cumbersome, the board itself loads slower and I feel like I have to take more steps to do things, especially concerning statuses. The new features are cool, but IMO they aren't worth it. 

I'm still having trouble figuring out what's slower to you.  Everything loads pretty much instantly to me, and my connection is hardly stable at the moment.

Speaking of themes, I would like to suggest adding a theme or two without this "responsive" feature I read about regarding the resolution. I love browsing SSMB on my Wii U when I'm off the computer, but I'm forced to go into mobile view because it's a theme feature instead of a user setting.

Is this only happening now?  When I browse on my Wii U, it uses the desktop theme by default.

Time for me to pitch in with my 2 cents.

Posting statuses take forever to happen. The box for typing just takes it's sweet time coming up. It makes the process of posting a status less instantanous and more tedious. I had to change browsers because posting on my old browser got very annoying on how often my screen would re-position itself. Also, as a tablet user, I can't seem to access the status page without the use of typing down the page. I heard there is a way to access the status page by hovering my cursor over the SSMB banner, but I'm using my fingers. I wish there can be a button just like in the original SSMB where I can access the status page regardless of device. This new SSMB is just not very mobile-friendly at the moment. Also, the fact that some notifications are disabled right now is kinda unusual. At least it's being fixed.

Yeah, this new theme seems a little bland, but I'll give the makers some time for new themes to be implemented.

Also, why is the friends list removed and replaced with this "following" thing? It's just a bit of hassle to hunt down all my friends again and follow them. I may be a nitwit if it still exists but I don't see but I don't see the preview post (more reply options) button. I dunno, it allows me to do a good double check to see if things worked properly.

There are some things I really like though. The process of posting on regular threads seems better. Finally, I can have access to the features such as bold or underline now. For some reason, my tablet didn't want to show me those features and I can only use them on a computer. The liking statuses is really cool and I can get used to the other asthetic stuff. The status issues needs to be resolved though to make me fully content with this change.

So yeah, I applaud you guys for what you've done but of course, I personally am not 100% content with all of the changes.

As previously stated, this seems like a connection problem to me.  The text box does take about two seconds longer than usual to get there, but that hardly seems like a long time to me.  The following feature was implemented by IPB as a way to make the now obsolete "Friends" list relevant.  But I agree it's dumb.  Unfortunately, not much we can do about it.

I found using the new theme to be initially very jarring - but once you get used to it, it's a lot cooler and a lot more fresh than what we had before.

Statuses are pretty much the coolest thing ever now too. Just saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, well. We're getting modern up here, eh?

Well I'm also in the mixed crowd.

I really do like how the statuses are a lot more fleshed out but as of now, that's kind of really the only thing I can say positively right now.

Everything feels slower for some reason but since people have stated this as well, means I'm not going crazy.

I know that newer skins are in the making but I really don't dig the blank white slates these placeholders are, feels pretty generic.

And speaking of generic, can't help but feel like everything feels very detached.

Like I enjoy SSMB because it was like a personal playground where people can just hang out, talk about random shit and stuff like that. Granted, things do get very unnecessarily heated at times but I enjoy talking to the members here.

Also kind of sucks that the Friends list is gone but I don't really like the followers thing. 

The word follower is something I personally don't like when I have spent a good amount of time knowing people here. I do consider most of the members here my friends so when the site calls them followers, makes me feel kind of miffed.

Overall, if it's a necessary change then fine but I do feel a lot of things need to be fixed before I can feel comfortable here.

When people reply to statuses (that we've either posted ourselves or others which we've posted in) it doesn't say who's status they are replying to in my notifications. Why is that?

I'm gonna keep it short and sweet just so that I don't get into a bit ramble about what I think of the new design.

it's pretty neato

• Thumbs Up 1

When people reply to statuses (that we've either posted ourselves or others which we've posted in) it doesn't say who's status they are replying to in my notifications. Why is that?

Another problem with the update, I think.  Might be a way to fix that but we haven't found one yet.

Is this only happening now?  When I browse on my Wii U, it uses the desktop theme by default.

Yeah, I'm getting the mobile view by default. The PS3 browser opens as the desktop view. It also automatically converts it if your browser window resolution goes below a certain number. Like I said, one or 2 themes labeled with "Non-Responsive" would be the easiest fix I think.

Yeah, I'm getting the mobile view by default. The PS3 browser opens as the desktop view. It also automatically converts it if your browser window resolution goes below a certain number. Like I said, one or 2 themes labeled with "Non-Responsive" would be the easiest fix I think.

I just tried it on my Wii U and I see your point.  We'll try our best, but again, this is a whole new thing with us as well, despite having a few months of testing.

I may as well put in my two cents towards the changes. First off, I understand this is still a work in progress. But I still have what I think are valid criticisms to cover.

Like some people, I find the current theme to be rather bland. Maybe it's just the wannabe graphic designer in me, but I like the websites I visit to have a bit of 'flash'' to them. I don't mean having a shit ton of glitter sprinkling all over the place. (that's way too much) But I do hope we get new themes soon. Personally, I liked the character themes we had with the last system. Those were cool. And for myself, I happen to be a fan of dark themes. I'd love it if had a couple of those.

I miss the 'Friends' list. 'Followers', too me, is a lot less personal. I understand that's not SSMB's fault, but it still bothers me.

Posting statuses is less seamless in this system. It takes longer to load than it used to. Though, that might just be my internet. Who knows?

I do have some positive things to say about the new SSMB though.

First off? I love the banner. It looks cool and the logo is very appealing to look at. I do wonder if we'll be able to have rotating banners again. Those were cool and I do miss those. As well, I think it's cool that we can apparently like statuses now, even though I also think there could be potential for abuse with that thing. 

Question: is it at all possible to make the Follower system act like the Friend system used to? As in, if you click on the Follow button, it sends the person a request, and if they accept it you both follow each other?

Probably can't, but just thought I'd ask.

Edited by Penny's Joy
  • Thumbs Up 7

Question: is it at all possible to make the Follower system act like the Friend system used to? As in, if you click on the Follow button, it sends the person a request, and if they accept it you both follow each other?

Probably can't, but just thought I'd ask.

For the foreseeable future, probably not.  We're looking into it, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it just me, or is there no longer a way to change your username? Because I don't see the option anywhere.

Is it just me, or is there no longer a way to change your username? Because I don't see the option anywhere.

Click your username in the top right corner -> Account Settings -> Display Name.  Should look like this:

78d36435cabb5dbab0a0175c4d1cb1da.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Signatures are back up, although those involving links to the forum posts here may expect something....a bit strange.

Initial reaction, themewise it's fine. Though I miss the random header, sure it'll be back. Feel like we need a bit of a border in between posts. Very light grey on white is a bit "Ehhh..."

I don't dig the WYSIWYG feature for comments and status. While it definitely allows for more in depth statuses and replies, it's also a lot slower to load, particularly on loose connections. Surprisingly, the quick-reply box loads up quite quickly.

Kinda wish the quick reply had a spoiler button as well as image one.

Edited by WittyUsername

Click your username in the top right corner -> Account Settings -> Display Name.  Should look like this:

78d36435cabb5dbab0a0175c4d1cb1da.png

Ah, there it is. Thanks for letting me know. =)

Initial reaction, themewise it's fine. Though I miss the random header, sure it'll be back. Feel like we need a bit of a border in between posts. Very light grey on white is a bit "Ehhh..."

I don't dig the WYSIWYG feature for comments and status. While it definitely allows for more in depth statuses and replies, it's also a lot slower to load, particularly on loose connections. Surprisingly, the quick-reply box loads up quite quickly.

Kinda wish the quick reply had a spoiler button as well as image one for the quick reply.

A lot of the Quick Reply buttons need to be re-enabled.  One of which is the "Erase Formatting" button.  We never had a "Spoilers" button, but I do agree that it should be a thing in the year 2015.

Ah, there it is. Thanks for letting me know. =)

No problem <3

Signatures are back up, although those involving links to the forum posts here may expect something....a bit strange.

Yeah, links to other topics are showing the first sentence or so of the OPs. Honestly, it's rather jarring.