Awoo.

Welcome To Your New-Look SSMB!

Dreadknux

A lot of the Quick Reply buttons need to be re-enabled.  One of which is the "Erase Formatting" button.  We never had a "Spoilers" button, but I do agree that it should be a thing in the year 2015

I know, I always had to type in the BBCode manually. Was actually surprised there wasn't one, that's usually fairly standard for forum suites, then again, my experience with softwares is fairly limited to a select few. Best one I had was SFM.

I never brought it up before because it kinda seems trivial. But now is as good as a time as ever.

Actually, brings me on to something else, is the video embedding going to be the same way?

So I take it the Notifications settings aren't fully fleshed out as of yet?

Chris fixed it awhile ago so that all but one or two settings were editable.  What specifically are you missing?

Every status update I replied to I'm getting notifications from; it's not just from my followers list either. It like how Facebook handled notifications actually. Maybe I was trying to work with the options there to try and disable them outright and did something else.

Visually appealing stuff indeed. Everything is clean, and neatly laid out, yet capable at its core of everything the previous iterations of the software was (stock/unmodified, anyway). Im liking it so far.

I for one, welcome our new look. (For real though, look at those JP Sonic patterns on the background! <3)

I do have some complaints about how this is working so far, especially in regards to the status updates. However, I think everything that I could hope to be fixed is being talked about behind doors right now. Whether or not that means they can be fixed or not, who knows, but at least we know of the complaints if anything.

But yeah I love this so far. Can't wait til the skins get added though, I kind of miss that eye-stabbingly-bold blue checkered background.

• Thumbs Up 6

I know, I always had to type in the BBCode manually. Was actually surprised there wasn't one, that's usually fairly standard for forum suites, then again, my experience with softwares is fairly limited to a select few. Best one I had was SFM.

I never brought it up before because it kinda seems trivial. But now is as good as a time as ever.

Actually, brings me on to something else, is the video embedding going to be the same way?

It's actually not a standard in a lot of boards I've worked with and I'm not sure why because it's actually a pretty easy coding.  I'm thinking it may be because not every forum is built around mass media, so it wouldn't be useful for boards about technology and things like that.  Still should be a built in feature anyway, but that's my guess.

Anyway, embedding videos works the same as before in that all you have to do is c/p the URL, but I'm hoping there will a button to supplement as well.

I'm looking forward to Catfist 3.0

Edit:
OH MY GOD I MEANT CATFISH

Indigo Rush/Big is a Ranma character :D!

I'm really liking the sleek new look. Great job! I was wondering when the SSMB would be upgrading to IPS4.

I might as well give some thoughts about the new design since I haven't yet.  To keep it short, I think this forum needed updating for a while and while I do think It's a little too different in some areas, I think this new design will make the site more enjoyable in the long run. There are still things that need to get fixed but I believe I am starting to feel comfortable with it. Not saying it's perfect (There is still more work to do) I do think in the end it can be good once all the bugs are taken out and features are put back in.

Love the new theme.

Did a pretty quick glance at every post in this topic so far, no one has mentioned this, so I'm assuming it's just on my end. In some threads, such as this one: http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/18097-the-lara-su-chronicles-and-ken-penders-topic-read-page-205-post-4096/?page=176 quote boxes don't seem to be working properly, at least not in Chrome or IE. However, in this thread, they're working fine. Just growing pains from the transition, I imagine, but figured I'd bring it up anyways to be sure.  Don't want to seem like I'm just here to complain, I didn't think anything would replace the Vector theme for me but I'm quite happy with this.

Gonna take some getting used to since since after 2 months shy of 10 years now, my eyeballs are only used to everything on this site being blue haha.

Pretty neat though, I'm already digging the "multi-quote" option, as well as the "likes" being on our posts now since they're fun to look at I guess. TBH my main point of posting this post is to see how my avatar/sig set up looks in this new way *shot*

• Thumbs Up 1

Love the new theme.

Did a pretty quick glance at every post in this topic so far, no one has mentioned this, so I'm assuming it's just on my end. In some threads, such as this one: http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/18097-the-lara-su-chronicles-and-ken-penders-topic-read-page-205-post-4096/?page=176 quote boxes don't seem to be working properly, at least not in Chrome or IE. However, in this thread, they're working fine. Just growing pains from the transition, I imagine, but figured I'd bring it up anyways to be sure.  Don't want to seem like I'm just here to complain, I didn't think anything would replace the Vector theme for me but I'm quite happy with this.

Noticed this as well.  I think only quote boxes made before the update are messed up.  Don't know if those are fixable, but it won't impact communication on posts made from today onward.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well after poking around a bit, it's not too bad other than some formatting and some of the colors make it seem like information run together (specifically inside of sub forum areas). But again you guys already pointed out that things are being worked on and adjusted and know the current state isn't your guys' final intentions of the place, so cool beans with me.

I think the only thing I'm generally upset with, and has nothing to do with you guys and more over just a gigantic "ugh aw man" feeling, is that with friends being gone, I guess Gunther will never be on my friends list again. I hope this isn't opening up a sore but idk, kinda blah about it

• Thumbs Up 3

I've joked about it in the statuses a bit, but honestly this update's really not my favorite. Everything's much more of a hassle to navigate, especially status-wise. It's sleeker, yeah, but in terms of accessibility it really feels like a step back more than a step forward.  I dunno. Maybe it'll grow on me, but it feels we lost a lot more than we gained.

• Thumbs Up 1

My only big criticism so far is that we can't go into into simple text replies anymore (where we type the tags in ourself etc).  This was always useful for when I wanted to copy text from elsewhere without the formatting being carried across - now I'll need to paste it into notepad and out again every time to remove formatting.  It also means, when there's a bit of text that just refuses to accept a change in formatting, I can't go into plain text to find the pesky tag causing it and remove it through force.

It's also meant that, through going to edit my signature to get rid of the big quote box, I can't actually see what the URL is MEANT to be for the Mario Kart thread link, since this one just goes to the OP even though I specified a particular post in the URL.  Honestly if it's possible to disable these automatic "forum thread preview" things I can't imagine anyone would miss them.  99% of the time another thread is linked, it's usually to a specific post, so having a preview of the OP is something I can't imagine ever being wanted or necessary.

It'd also be great if we could get a quickly made darker theme to choose from asap if possible - literally just a quick brightness alteration/negative image/darker colour variant of the current one or something.  It's 7am here so I'm having no issues, but I wonder if this theme will still hold appeal at night when it's blasting my eye sockets with whiteness.

Of final note (in terms of bug reports etc), title screens are of course gone from profiles, but the little section of the profile that lists the name and image URL used for them remains.  It'd be fun for these to return, but if not that section should probably be hidden (or removed entirely, if you do re-add them it's not gonna be a big deal for people to re-upload new images).

I'm not having any slowness issues with the new dynamic loading features myself.  Those who are could probably do well to post their internet speeds/computer specs/browsers they're using so the staff can identify if a large portion of users with older than what is considered minimum standard are going to suffer.  Especially if it is possible to impliment non-dynamic themes for those who do - I mean even gmail still lets you use a plain HTML mode after all these years.

• Thumbs Up 6

What are the dimensions for Cover Photos in Profile?

I want to make a new one.

What are the dimensions for Cover Photos in Profile?

I want to make a new one.

I don't believe specific dimensions are given, because the image will be stretched to fit regardless.  However, I measured it out and something that is about 1230x200 (give or take a few pixels) should be sufficient if you want something that effectively covers the entire visible surface.

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, this new look will take some getting used to. But I love how super modern SSMB looks like now. I just logged on so I still have yet to see all the changes, but I like what I see so far. It's going to take a bit of getting used to, but yeah, this feels nice. People were accurate when they said we'd teleport to a new SSMB land or something like that. XD Anyway, all this hard work is really appreciated! I'm off to explore new SSMB land. ^-^

• Thumbs Up 3

I like the new layout, it's very simple and streamlined which would make it more friendly for a mobile device (which is what I use most of the time). As the followers system, I'm completely fine with it. I use Twitter all the time anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 1

How do I view Status Update replies? I don't see anything on the main page, just in the status update page.

How do I view Status Update replies? I don't see anything on the main page, just in the status update page.

Unfortunately, the new system makes it so that you have to actually visit the status update page by clicking the reply number.  It's an annoying system, but there's nothing we can do about it.

Edited by Tara

Wait, did you mean "status update page" as in the page for the individual status or the overall status page?

I do very much like how on mobile now, you'll be notified when you're typing in a topic of someone has posted. 

I'm liking the new streamlined approach. It feels simpler, yet still technical at the same time. The notification bar I feel still has some editing though. Is there a way to just be notified for when someone replies to you in a topic?