Awoo.

Welcome To Your New-Look SSMB!

Dreadknux

I do very much like how on mobile now, you'll be notified when you're typing in a topic of someone has posted. 

I'm liking the new streamlined approach. It feels simpler, yet still technical at the same time. The notification bar I feel still has some editing though. Is there a way to just be notified for when someone replies to you in a topic?

I don't know where it is on mobile but in general, the path is click your username -> Notification Settings.  Uncheck every box except "someone quotes a comment or post I made."

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't know where it is on mobile but in general, the path is click your username -> Notification Settings.  Uncheck every box except "someone quotes a comment or post I made."

it's also in the mobile version, just checked!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, did you mean "status update page" as in the page for the individual status or the overall status page?

Overall.

Status updates for me were just something I was able to quickly read while on the main page. Having to go to separate page changes that since replies can't be read any more right away.

• Thumbs Up 3

Overall.

Status updates for me were just something I was able to quickly read while on the main page. Having to go to separate page changes that since replies can't be read any more right away.

You can direct yourself strictly to the status in question by clicking the number of replies, which is pretty much exactly the same as what the notification system used to direct you to previously anyway.  But yeah, we still can't have the comments viewable on the front page.

So do the status likes count towards the max likes you can do daily? Cause I feel like they should have their own separate system in that case. Like they'd have their own separate limit, if any at all. They'd still add to your like count though.

You can direct yourself strictly to the status in question by clicking the number of replies, which is pretty much exactly the same as what the notification system used to direct you to previously anyway.  But yeah, we still can't have the comments viewable on the front page.

I don't really use notifications :P

It's just one extra, slightly annoying step. I'll get used to it, but I prefer it the old way and hope it can eventually be brought back that way.

On a different note, I noticed that little arrow next to threads where you could check the first unread and last post is gone D:

It's just one extra, slightly annoying step. I'll get used to it, but I prefer it the old way and hope it can eventually be brought back that way.

On a different note, I noticed that little arrow next to threads where you could check the first unread and last post is gone D:

Is it?  The forum reset it for users (so every thread is "read" until a new post comes up) but it should still show up for you when you see a topic with new posts.

tumblr_mx9c91KYFT1ru2yklo1_r1_250.gif

No no, to be fair. Many of us have been used to the old SSMB for several years now. Any change, however slight, was always going to be noticed. A change this big is therefore going to take some getting used to.

The improvements made such as the removal of the star rating and the expanded status updates are brilliant and get the thumbs-up from me.

As I'm typing this, I notice the tools in the text box have changed as well. I'm really liking this simplified version, I think a lot of the tools on the old one went greatly unused and only made the interface more cluttered. It's a really nice setup now and I like that the top toolbar is purely for the text while our image function gets it's own button at the bottom.

Like other members have brought up, the main issue is the amount of white that currently fills the screen. We've already been assured it's a temporary issue due to the WIP nature of the new forum. The only way it's causing trouble for me personally is that it makes it more difficult to tell where one user's post ends and another begins.

In a similar issue, many buttons are now a light grey colour. These make it look like the buttons are greyed out and can't be used which could get confusing for some people. Again, probably temporary but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

Aside from one or two little niggles I think the 2015 boards are a great redesign. I personally thought the old version still served its purpose just fine but if a change was deemed necessary then this is a nice replacement. Other than the friend list, everything people want from the old boards are either here now or will be in due time so there's not much to complain about on that front. Shame about the banners being gone but hey, what can you do?

Well done to all the staff that have been working on this. One can only imagine the workload there's been to pull off a migration like this.

• Thumbs Up 4

If you're looking for a Status Updates main page, you can find it by hovering your mouse over 'SSMB' in the blue navbar on desktop / clicking Hamburger > More > Status Updates on mobile. :)

Thanks for all the feedback so far, guys. A few notes/responses:

- This white theme isn't a temporary one. It is the new default look for TSS site-wide (and will be in effect when we revamp TSS later this year).

- But I am interested in re-introducing the old Sonical theme down the line, just a matter of finding time for us all. So sit tight!

- We will tweak this current design so that a lot more design elements make sense: the greyed out buttons and post separators being examples of things we can fix. Please continue offering feedback so we can consider any design changes.

- Most of the tech/structural issues you might be having will be down to the forum software itself and is largely out of our control. IPB will likely fix any tech bugs with future updates to the core forum code.

- Tapatalk was something Bmn shoehorned in so that SSMB could work on mobiles. It's not officially supported and so if it no longer works that's down to forum software code changes, as above. In any case, Tapatalk is a confusing mess of an app anyway, with absolutely no benefits over a native mobile view, so I'm personally not in any hurry to find a way to add support back for it, sorry.

• Thumbs Up 9

BBCode still works, so spoilers can be added that way. Still, I can bring that up and see if a separate interface option can be reapplied.

No idea if post previews are doable in the new format.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really liking the overall design!

The "White Space" theme going on is really the only thing I'm taking the most issue with since all the white is blinding me. I'm very eager to see more modifications in the coming days, but it's definitely a plus to see a lot of bugs going.

I trust with time we would get back the Overall Top Posters, Today's Most Active Posters, avatars in most recent posts on the subforums, etc.?

Yeah, I was going to add the Top Poster stuff before we re-opened, but there's some background rebuilding going on so we'll pop them back on when it's done :)

Woah, this is different. o_o It's gonna take some time getting used to, but I'm liking it so far.

SSMB YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX AGAIN

LOL joking

I was suprised when I saw this new look this morning. And I know this is a work in progress with the bugs and all, but here's my thoughts-

The good stuff-

• The background is okay-ish, it's white and all but we will get the change theme feature correct?
  • The Status updates is now upgraded, we can add gifs, make the words bold or italic or underline or strike through etc
  • Star system is gone, which is fine by me
  • Increasing font size to 72, now that'll come in handy...
  • It's very neat.
  • We got cover photos!
  • WE CAN TAG PEOPLE IN STATUS UPDATES OMG! :D
  • Notifications work!

The bad stuff-

• RIP Friends list: March 2009-July 2015. (The followers list replaces it)
  • It takes forever to change signatures.
  • Why's the Member Feedback section below?
  • IMO, the save button (when changing sigs or avatars) is invisible to me...

Another thing I should point out, whenever someone sends something to another user, everyone can see that message. Should that be kept private? And what's the insert existing attachment button?

It'll take a while to get used to it, but props to the Mods and everyone else who worked hard on making SSMB better!

Edited by Captain Plunderbutt
Forgot to add this....

I don't know if it's just my device or something from the update but Youtube videos don't work. All I see are the link and (especially on my posts) the Youtube extensions like linkgoeshere

Is it being worked on or do I have to modify all my posts with a new extension?

(Sorry if I'm using "extension" in the wrong context. I can think of no better words to give it.)

I don't know if it's just my device or something from the update but Youtube videos don't work. All I see are the link and (especially on my posts) the Youtube extensions like linkgoeshere

Is it being worked on or do I have to modify all my posts with a new extension?

(Sorry if I'm using "extension" in the wrong context. I can think of no better words to give it.)

If I remember correctly, you won't need the old tags anymore. It should embed with just the YouTube URL in the post (but you'd have to edit your old posts to get that to work or wait for the system to rebuild).

Let's test that out. Does anyone see a video?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNma1hNMS7s

Edited by Failinhearts

How come I don't get notifications when the people I follow post a new status? I have the thing in my notification settings checked and everything.

I really don't like the new status system, it's such a hassle to have to go click in every single status to see the replies, this is especially annoying when the status has a picture since in the main page it looks like a blank space so you have to click to see what the user is trying to share. It was a lot simpler in the previous version. :x

This kinda sucks since the status zone was kinda like THE place I liked about this community.

Maybe I'll have to give it some time since I'm complaining about something that feels very minor, but I'm not feeling the forums right now.

As for a more important complaint I also don't like the new theme, I know the old ones are coming back at some point but could we have a temp dark theme for the time being, all this white kinda hurts my eyes . -. , I've also read the main page is also going to be switched to this look so I'd appreciate it if you guys also work for some extra themes for that page as well.

Other than that I'm having no problems whatsoever besides all the spoiler tags that I set manually before no longer working (I can only guess how some of my more text/unage heavy posts might look like right now >_>)

• Thumbs Up 2

A lot of reply options seem to be gone. For instance, I can't figure out how to put text in spoiler tags, and I can't find a way to preview posts before posting them.

The spoiler tag code is the same as it's always been.  We never had a dedicated button for it.

[spoiler]Text here[/spoiler]

SSMB YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX AGAIN

LOL joking

I was suprised when I saw this new look this morning. And I know this is a work in progress with the bugs and all, but here's my thoughts-

The good stuff-

• The background is okay-ish, it's white and all but we will get the change theme feature correct?
  • The Status updates is now upgraded, we can add gifs, make the words bold or italic or underline or strike through etc
  • Star system is gone, which is fine by me
  • Increasing font size to 72, now that'll come in handy...
  • It's very neat.
  • We got cover photos!
  • WE CAN TAG PEOPLE IN STATUS UPDATES OMG! :D
  • Notifications work!

The bad stuff-

• RIP Friends list: March 2009-July 2015. (The followers list replaces it)
  • It takes forever to change signatures.
  • Why's the Member Feedback section below?
  • IMO, the save button (when changing sigs or avatars) is invisible to me...

Another thing I should point out, whenever someone sends something to another user, everyone can see that message. Should that be kept private? And what's the insert existing attachment button?

It'll take a while to get used to it, but props to the Mods and everyone else who worked hard on making SSMB better!

The Announcements and Member Feedback sections were pushed to the bottom because modern computing seems to dictate it being at the top as unnecessary.

During the testing phase, we did manage to make profile comments invisible to the front page, so I agree that (if possible) we should re-implement it here. That being said, it should never be assumed to be private nor used as a substitute for a PM.  Even if they're hidden from the front page, they can still be seen from the user's profile.

Sorry, just testing, BTW is it me or did the preview post button disappeared? I'd love if we could get that back if that's the case.

Hidden Content

Yes, that function seems to have been removed in favor of the expanding text boxes and enhanced WYSIWYG editor.

Edited by Tara

Good job guys, loving the new forum layout. Glad to see that the redirect bug was fixed too!

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there a way to make carriage returns step only a single line down rather than creating a full paragraph break?  So, for instance, if I press Enter here...

...There's a space between this line and the previous one, as if I had pressed Enter twice on the old system rather than once in the new system.  I would prefer to have the choice of what kind of paragraph breaks to use, and indeed I think I already see places earlier in the topic where people have used the Enter key as if on the old system.