Awoo.

Welcome To Your New-Look SSMB!

Dreadknux

Is there a way to make carriage returns step only a single line down rather than creating a full paragraph break?  So, for instance, if I press Enter here...

...There's a space between this line and the previous one, as if I had pressed Enter twice on the old system rather than once in the new system.  I would prefer to have the choice of what kind of paragraph breaks to use, and indeed I think I already see places earlier in the topic where people have used the Enter key as if on the old system.

Shift + Enter will do a single line break.  Not sure if it works that way on mobile or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Testing,
Testing...

Yes, that's quite satisfactory.  I will say that I think the arrangement is odd, but thank you for the tip.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having just been browsing the board for most of last night and this afternoon, I can say I like the overall change. The design is simple and clean. I'm not totally digging the all white, but I think I'd be fine with it if all this white space could be broken up a little in some way. I just went and slapped together something and you guys can decide if it's worth looking into:

Here I dropped the brightness of the member info on a post down by 5% (my apologies to FFWF and Tara for using them in my example)

suggestionssmb.png

I like to think this will already be a big change to help break things up without disrupting what Dreadknux and the rest are going for with the whole new look.

Building off this...

suggestionssmb2.png

I dropped the brightness of the post body itself down by 5% as well (and because the shades were similar, I dropped the member info down another 5%--though that's unnecessary), and we can still keep the white background.

Might this alleviate some of the problems people are having with all the white?

Other than that, I don't have much else to complain about. The followers system adds an extra step it doesn't really need (but it's not a big deal), and having to go to a separate page to respond to a status (either up top or on a user's profile) is a little tedious, and the current lack of plain text/HTML bugs me (but it's already been said that that may be restored later, and I think the current editor appears to work better than the previous one). Can't wait to see how things improve!

I did notice one little bug though, and I have no idea if I should report it here or make a separate topic for it, but when I went to like someone's post, I got a pop-up telling me I'm not allowed to give reputation... but the like went through anyway.

likeerror.png

I haven't gotten it again, and it reminds me of the occasional problem of the board saying it couldn't store my like, when it did, so I'm just going to chalk that up to a random happening for the moment.

How come I don't get notifications when the people I follow post a new status? I have the thing in my notification settings checked and everything.

Ah, this, actually. I've noticed this too. I get notifications for everything else except status updates, and I also have it enabled.

Edited by Zaysho

I tried to sign in with my usual username (thapoint09) but it said it wasn't associated with any account. I had to sign in with Facebook instead.

I tried to sign in with my usual username (thapoint09) but it said it wasn't associated with any account. I had to sign in with Facebook instead.

I had issues with that too, I think you have to sign in with your current display name 

• Thumbs Up 3

I had issues with that too, I think you have to sign in with your current display name 

Yes, you sign in with your current display name now.  We tinkered with that system to restore it back to the way it was previously as well, but to no avail.  Sorry.

[post and images]

I generally agree that there should be at least a border separating the table cells.  That might fix the earlier mentioned quoting issue and just make the left and right cells look a little less jumbled.  It's ultimately up to Dread and the other admins, though.

Edited by Tara

How come I don't get notifications when the people I follow post a new status? I have the thing in my notification settings checked and everything.

Just reposting this because I think it was missed.

I have a question.

Is there still a limited amount of users who can't be added to one PM or can more be added or how does that work?

I have a question.

Is there still a limited amount of users who can't be added to one PM or can more be added or how does that work?

Tried it for myself.  My limit is 10; it may be lower for members.

Edited by Tara

Welcome to 2015, SSMB. =P

I'm very familiar with IPB4, so I'm glad you guys finally did the upgrade. So modern~

Just ran into this: why can't we use punctuation or special characters in our display names? I have to settle for "Pennys Sadness" instead of "Penny's Sadness". That's really annoying

• Thumbs Up 1

Just ran into this: why can't we use punctuation or special characters in our display names? I have to settle for "Pennys Sadness" instead of "Penny's Sadness". That's really annoying

Punctuation has a tendency to cause coding errors, which is why it's off by default.  However, apostrophes and hyphens are probably something that will need to be re-enabled.

Sorry if this was addressed (I tried to find it, might have missed it), but since the upgrade I keep getting Notifications like this:

MykonosFan, HollyYoshi, Ryannumber1gamer and 1 other commented on The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 205, POST 4096

I didn't get these before, and when I try to find how to turn them off now, I think my only choices in Notifications Settings are this:

Since they don't take me to the first unread post in the thread anyway, I'd rather just have them off altogether. Is there a way to do that?
  • Method to use for content I follow automatically
    • A notification when new content is posted
    • One email per day with all new content from that day
    • One email per week with all new content from that week

Sorry if this was addressed (I tried to find it, might have missed it), but since the upgrade I keep getting Notifications like this:

I didn't get these before, and when I try to find how to turn them off now, I think my only choices in Notifications Settings are this:

Since they don't take me to the first unread post in the thread anyway, I'd rather just have them off altogether. Is there a way to do that?

It sounds like the Notification Settings page isn't loading for you all the way.  If you scroll down past those options, it's supposed to give you a multitude of customizable options for notifications.

There are those as well, but I'm not sure which one I'm looking for in this case. Would it be "Someone comments on something I follow"? I never followed anything, so I'm not even sure. Am I just redoing all my settings from scratch after being reset to some sort of default?

One other minor, tiny gripe I just learned of: Tried to fix my location to read like a postal address again (took me a while to get it just right), but now it's hyphenating words. I guess I'll just have to play around with it again.

Edited by KingScoopaKoopa

There are those as well, but I'm not sure which one I'm looking for in this case. Would it be "Someone comments on something I follow"? I never followed anything, so I'm not even sure. Am I just redoing all my settings from scratch after being reset to some sort of default?

Not knowing your situation entirely, it could be either of these settings-

• Someone comments on something I follow, which does appear likely since you said you haven't followed any topics.
  • Someone I am following makes a post

But yes, all users were reset to IPB default settings in the update, so you should probably take the time to customize them to your liking or turn them all off if you'd rather not.

Yeah, I'm getting the mobile view by default. The PS3 browser opens as the desktop view. It also automatically converts it if your browser window resolution goes below a certain number. Like I said, one or 2 themes labeled with "Non-Responsive" would be the easiest fix I think.

I like this idea, and it's fairly easy to do so.

Did a pretty quick glance at every post in this topic so far, no one has mentioned this, so I'm assuming it's just on my end. In some threads, such as this one: http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/18097-the-lara-su-chronicles-and-ken-penders-topic-read-page-205-post-4096/?page=176 quote boxes don't seem to be working properly, at least not in Chrome or IE. However, in this thread, they're working fine. Just growing pains from the transition, I imagine, but figured I'd bring it up anyways to be sure.  Don't want to seem like I'm just here to complain, I didn't think anything would replace the Vector theme for me but I'm quite happy with this.

This I think is a growing pain, as you said. There's quite a lot of data rebuilding going on behind the scenes, which may take about a week to complete. That might also be the reason things are a little slow.

Of final note (in terms of bug reports etc), title screens are of course gone from profiles, but the little section of the profile that lists the name and image URL used for them remains.  It'd be fun for these to return, but if not that section should probably be hidden (or removed entirely, if you do re-add them it's not gonna be a big deal for people to re-upload new images).

That's definitely in the pipeline... at some point >_>

Another thing I should point out, whenever someone sends something to another user, everyone can see that message. Should that be kept private? And what's the insert existing attachment button?

Absolutely, that's done now :)

Insert existing attachment I believe is to select something you've uploaded previously, so you don't have to do it again and waste more of your upload quota.

I've opened this up again. It was originally enacted when certain characters broke features of the old forum, but I think the new one should be able to handle it better.

Thanks also to Tara for keeping on top of answering people in this topic ? :)

Edited by bmn
  • Thumbs Up 6

Thanks also to Tara for keeping on top of answering people in this topic ? :)

I'm happy to help when I can! =D

But now I seem to be having a problem.  Since yesterday, my avatar is always switching back to "Sync with Twitter," when I tell it not to.  So I keep having to reupload my avatar to fit the board's dimensions.  Is there a fix from this beyond disconnecting my account from Twitter?

Can you disable the "use my Twitter photo as forum photo" feature on the Twitter settings page here?

Oh, yes, I can!  That must have been the problem.  Thanks X3

Question: Can we link to images from wikis yet or is it still giving the ''image expansion not allowed'' error?

Question: Can we link to images from wikis yet or is it still giving the ''image expansion not allowed'' error?

250px-Shadow_the_Hedgehog_Coverart.png

An anthropomorphic black hedgehog with spiky hair holds a handgun and other weapons,  striking an attacking pose with an unhappy expression on his face. A stylized explosion is visible in the background. The words "Shadow the Hedgehog" adorn the top of the screen, as does a red logo that resembles the hedgehog's head.

• Thumbs Up 7

Testing

Edit: Hooray! Twitter embedding now works!

Just find the tweet you want and copy the url.
Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 5

Not knowing your situation entirely, it could be either of these settings-

• Someone comments on something I follow, which does appear likely since you said you haven't followed any topics.
  • Someone I am following makes a post

But yes, all users were reset to IPB default settings in the update, so you should probably take the time to customize them to your liking or turn them all off if you'd rather not.

Okay, I'll give it a shot on my computer later. :)