Awoo.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has passed away

Carbo

I don't know what to say besides R.I.P.

I just don't know how to react to this, I'm legitimately in shock.

NoA's press site updated with what seems to be the most recent picture of Iwata taken (from June 23).

He'd lost a lot of weight. 

Oh I'm not talking about the people who had legitimate complaints. I'm talking about the people on youtube and other places. I had my complaints about the direct as well and how dare you accuse me of trying to make myself look cocky and trying to make people feel more guilty. I know everyone here had their complaints with the direct and so did I. In no way am I saying the direct was good! Again I was referring to the people who went overboard with their hate. Do you know how many people when Reggie claimed Iwata didn't actually apologize shouted "Well he should apologize! He doesn't deserve to be happy with E3!"

*sigh* I'm sorry for the rant but it made me a little ticked that you thought I was trying to make it about the direct. All I was saying that I wished we got the chance to send Iwata off with a good last memory.

I apologise, I still feel there was no need to bring it up at all (there'll always be people like that in life), I didn't mean to come off as definitively accusatory, that's just how your post made me feel (even though I of course wasn't someone who hated on the direct a lot).

I do understand your grief over our last major memory of him being seen as widely a disappointment, but life is so much bigger than that.  My last memory of my grandmother was not in any way pleasant (nothing dramatic or anything that was anyone's fault, thankfully, but still unpleasant), but what I remember was the entire lifetime of memories I had before that one small incident (that I didn't of course know would be my last memory of her at the time).  These things just aren't worth dwelling on for even a second when there are so many achievements and fun memories of Iwata to recall instead.

Edited by JezMM

You know, back in 1966, when Walt Disney died, the weekly Italian magazine "Epoca" had a sad Mickey Mouse crying near a Christmas Tree on its cover. Of course, I wasn't born yet at the time, but that cover is particularly famous among us Italian Disney Comics readers. And watching people posting their drawings, made in honour of Iwata, featuring characters who are normally either happy or cool and cocky with a sad frown on their faces is really getting to me. I am not crying, but my eyes are watery since this morning. And this comic, itself an homage to one of the saddest scene from FullMetal Alchemist, has just that touch that makes me want to close my eyes and think about everything Iwata had done for me, for us.

9R3E0go.jpg

Edited by Naldush Repulsa
  • Thumbs Up 8

This makes me very sad. He pulled Nintendo out of the shit after the Gamecube and though I don't agree with all the decisions the company has made recently under his tenure, I have an immense amount of respect for what he has contributed to this industry. He clearly was passionate about what he did, and always seemed to laugh and smile. It breaks my heart knowing that he died amidst all the negativity surrounding E3. I hope he knows just how much we will all miss him. Rest in peace Satoru Iwata. :( Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Reggie comments on Iwata's passing.

http://www.benzinga.com/news/15/07/5667201/nintendos-reggie-fils-aime-on-satoru-iwata-he-always-challenged-us-to-push-forwar

I wonder whether he knew how much time he had left.

I think he must have known. 

It really sucks to hear this. I liked Iwata a lot, as strange as that feels to say. The guy understood games and felt like more than just a stuffy businessman. It's a real shame.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will post more, my thoughts later on this tragic event, but for now, I would like to point towards this gathering of Iwata's career highlights.

http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2015/07/12/satoru-iwata-career-at-nintendo-five-highlights/

Believe me, these just barely scratch the surface and he deserves mroe than just this, but even with the little time I have a the moment, I just felt I needed to do SOMETHING to honor this legacy. *sniff* SIGH

Also, I don;t know if this is true: Image

but if it is is.....whatever the case, rest in peace Iwata, I'll give it my all in supporting your legacy, i whatever way I can.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm fully believe they (Reggie & Miyamoto) knew of Iwata's failing health to some degree. Still doesn't make it any less painful in that they didn't see Iwata as just a co-worker, but as a close friend as well passed on.

About that picture, even at that stage in his life damn does Iwata look sharp in that suit.

HNI_0005_1.jpg

A night has passed and I still feel sad about this. Woke up a little bit earlier than I normally do, so I decided to draw a tribute picture to help come to terms with what has happened.

He may be gone at 55, but even with his life cut short, he has done more in his life than many only dreamed of. How effective, dedicated and proud he was of his work was truly something. It's that kind of drive that makes it a no-brainer to why he became CEO of Nintendo, and is what I consider an key inspiration for me to the best I can do with what I love...

There are people who are driven to perform at their best, and then their are people who go beyond that. And Iwata did just that.

Edited by YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 8

iwatajbjh2.jpg
NoA's press site updated with what seems to be the most recent picture of Iwata taken (from June 23).

He'd lost a lot of weight. 

He was fighting a losing battle and still wanted to be presentable, to show his employees and fans that he was okay and everything was normal.

What a guy. God damnit I thought I was done crying.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow, someone from GAF created this wallpaper! It's so beautiful...the legendary statue of Iwata doing his "direct". <3 This is my wallpaper for the week:

iwata_small4nujr.png

Download the 1080p wallpaper here: http://abload.de/img/iwataqhucx.png

• Thumbs Up 9

It truly warms my heart seeing how the gaming community has come together.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since we're posting memorial images, here's one I found:

CJwicsXWcAADU3i.jpg

Dammit, I'm tearing up. Seeing all this stuff across the net is making it sink in deeper.

Edited by Candescence
  • Thumbs Up 7

Oh my god...I'm literally speechless. My condolences to the family and those close to the man. He made such a impact on the gaming world. Hard to imagine it without him.

As many others have said, while I may not have been a big fan of Nintendo. It was people like Iwata that made me respect the company a lot and knowing all the amazing feats and sacrifices he has done, my heart sanked. We have lost a great man and we shall cherish the memories he gave us during his time in the world. 

There is nothing else for me to say, but thank you for making me understand why Nintendo's amazing, Iwata. RIP.