Awoo.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has passed away

Carbo

Don't know what to really say other than this was completely out of left field even despite his condition, god damn

I am in shellshock right now. I never knew Iwata suffered from health problems, so this came way out of left field for me. May he rest in peace, my condolences to his family and everybody at Nintendo. I can't imagine how they feel right now. We lost a great man today, indeed. :(

I... I honestly can't belive this.

Damn this is awful. It is a sad day for the gaming community.

I, too, am in complete shock. Fifty-five is way too young of an age to die.

Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, Nintendo, and the gaming community. :(

When IGN inevitably makes the news report of this sad news, I hope there are no idiots out there making fun of Iwata's death because they hate Nintendo.

Nintendo fans, Sega fans, Microsoft fans and Sony fans must come together and put aside their differences today to mourn the loss of a great man.

Wow, and at the age of 55 years too. I don't know what to say... this just came out of nowhere.

*sigh* this is right up there with Robin Williams, and Leonard Nimoy in heartbreaking news :(

I just can't believe it. I knew he had health problems, but it always seemed like he'd be able to get through all of this...and now he's just..gone. At age 55, which makes it even more heartbreaking. I just cannot put it into words how much much this shocks and saddens me.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Iwata...

Edited by Thigolf
  • Thumbs Up 1

I didn't know he was ill either. It's quite a shock, but if he was ill, then at least he's no longer suffering. My thoughts are with his family and the people that knew him. I'm sure he's gaming in the afterlife as we speak.

I found a video, it's a couple of years old but still seems like a fitting tribute.

When I heard the news, I literally thought it as a joke..but he's actually dead..?

Oh man..I'm not sure what to even write, I'm just stunned by this. 

My condolences to his family and friends, and may he rest in piece, after all the amazing work he put into Nintendo up to this point.

Edited by Alex2Beta

Just. Just wow. This really blows. Rarely do most game companies see a CEO that's not only so passionate about video games but has made them themselves. Rest in peace, Satoru Iwata. I give out my full condolences to his friends, family, and Nintendo as a whole for such a loss. He was a great business man who really knows what he's doing.

The moment I saw this in the latest threads section, my heart stopped, then sank. This was a complete shock to me! Regardless of how you feel about Nintendo, this man literally worked himself to death out of pure commitment and passion for his job, despite serious medical issues. To say I have respect for him is a massive understatement. 

Rest in peace Mr. Iwata. :(

I'm shocked and saddened by this news - I got used to him being the face of the company, but I also knew of how much he'd done for the industry over the years. From when he was a coder at HAL all the way until his work at Nintendo of Japan, we wouldn't have gotten Earthbound, Smash Brothers Melee or some of the Pokémon games if he hadn't been there. It's hard to imagine the company without his endless energy and tenacity, but we've all been influenced by his work in one way or another and he made quite an impact on the industry.

May he rest in peace knowing that.

I'll be over here watching Pollyanna and debating playing through Earthbound again in his memory.

Edited by Chris
  • Thumbs Up 5

Gone far too early. A legend in every sense of the word.

RIP Iwata, you glorious man.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know how we would poke fun at his please understand comment and I just saw an image of him waving goodbye on goNintendo. My heart just broke again. I would imagine this is how some people felt when Walt Disney passed as well. 

I'm not a big Nintendo fan myself, but there's no denying that he was a great CEO of both the Japanese and American branches, working his way into the hearts of gamers just like Reggie did and giving the brand enormous strength with the Wii.

I can't believe he's gone, though; he looked perfectly fine in the video leading up to the E3 conference. It's just so sudden...

Rest in Peace, Iwata-san.

I'm sad to hear this has happened. :( I loved his brawl with Reggie...

Rest in peace man...

Iwata's gone?! 

Damn, I can't believe I'm reading this. Iwata was a really cool, fun guy and he was so passionate about his job. It's so heartbreaking to see him gone like this. Just..goddamnit. 

r.i.p Satoru Iwata :(

I'm seriously fucking crying right now tears streaming down my face WHAT THE HELL MAN WHAT THE HELL

Rest in peace Iwata-san. Goddammit I'm so upset right now I don't think I'll be able to sleep.

;__;

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

...This is a shock. I know he missed out on E3 2014 and 2015 but it's still pretty hard to believe he died when you still saw him putting his heart into things like that very Muppety Direct. People might not have liked all the decisions he made, but he was the first CEO of Nintendo to actually come from a game design position and it showed. He did a lot for the company, and I think it will be hard to fill his shoes.

This is too sad... too sudden. He shouldn't have died that young.

I'm slightly struggling to register this actually... Rest in peace :(.