Awoo.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has passed away

Carbo

This is very sad and perhaps unexpected news to everyone. Everyone above has commented about Mr. Iwata's legacy and his accomplishments probably better than I could. I will just say Rest In Peace Mr. Iwata. You have done very much good and have probably affected almost everyone on SSMB's life in some way. You certainly will not be forgotten. You may be gone now but your work and accomplishments will live on forever.  

I would also like to post this here, as I think it is appropriate. 

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/Bileduct/Bileductcancer.aspx

For anybody interested, this is a link for a page about Bile Duct Cancer, and it's effects. It is extremely sad he had to have been struck with this, but it goes to show that Cancer can affect anybody. It is a major bitch.  

Edited by Osmium
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jesus christ, fuck. Nintendo will never be the same without him, he's done so much its just imagine him never being there. Goddamn it. 

RIP Iwata, you touche a lot of hearts in many ways and we hope your legacy lives on.

One of the worst things about this is the fact that his last public communication with the fans was an apology for E3. :/

R. I. P.

It wasn't an outright apology. It was clarified to be of him taking note of fan reception, essentially a "we appreciate your feedback" comment.

Edited by Sean

Found this. Presumably the last photo taken of Iwata...now I feel sad again, urgh. .__.

ew5RANJ.jpg

You can tell he really aged...

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

I didn't even know how to react once I saw this in my Twitter feed, it was just so sudden. I'll certainly miss him, the Nintendo Directs just won't feel the same without him.

Thank you, Mr. Iwata, for having a part in the games that have made me into the gamer I am today. You will be missed.

Hey, the things he did were amazing. He was a truly talented person among Miyamoto and Sakurai, and many others at the Nintendo house. He motherfucking coded Earthbound from scratch.

I'll definitely miss him, but the things he's done are just a few of the many things he's done to our lives and our passions.

• Thumbs Up 5

RIP Mr. Iwata, I will fondly remember in those brilliant E3 videos. 

I just can't believe he died... Even if 55 seems old, he was too young to die. 

Holy shit man. I was having such a good day too. This is really sad news to hear.

One minute we see him and he's totality fine. The next just gone like that. My regards to his family. :/

I don't know that much about Japanese stuff.  Could you tell us what this means?

It's actually a common sign of respect to fly a flag at half-mast when someone has died. Nintendo is flying the flag half-mast, outside their office, as a sign of respect and mourning over Iwata's death.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've never been good with words at times like this. I suppose all I can say is...it's sad, to see someone who genuinely cared about making people happy pass away.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's actually a common sign of respect to fly a flag at half-mast when someone has died. Nintendo is flying the flag half-mast, outside their office, as a sign of respect and mourning over Iwata's death.

Oop.  I wasn't even thinking of the position of the flag. I was focused too much on the text.  My bad.

many thankyou Mr. Iwata, you changed the industry with a lot of good creative games and hardware.

may you rest in peace, good sir.

Edited by Daisy-Fan

Wow I just got back from vacation and this is the first piece of news that I see? Damn, this just hit me harder than when Robin Williams died.

Regardless, this man left behind one hell of a legacy and I send my regards to his family and the rest of Nintendo as well. Rest well Iwata san.

Very sad to see him pass on.  He had a hand in creating millions of childhoods including my own.  I'll miss him and what he did and hope his legacy continues on.

• Thumbs Up 1