Awoo.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has passed away

Carbo

Man. I remember thinking how lucky he was when he came out of that first surgery and everything seemed like it was going to be okay.

Life just isn't fair sometimes.

"And my name is Iwata. I'm about making games and I'm about playing games. Last night, I played Super Smash Bros. That's my game. I kicked some... you know what and I took his name. His name was Reggie. As Nintendo president, I'm also all about asking questions. So Reggie, I have a question for you. Who's your daddy?"

I was saddened by the news and have now learned what caused it...my mood has shifted to rage.

I'm f*ckin' sick of cancer killing all the great people in this world. Good people we need, that still have much to achieve, that are young and old. It's about time this sh*t was wiped off the face of the earth!!

I wonder how you arrange some sort of charity fun raiser thing for cancer research. I'd take part in that and dedicate it to him and all the others who have been lost because of this p*ss ar*e faced condition or whatever it's technically labelled as.

I hope whoever Nintendo chooses to ultimately succeed Iwata can continue with what he set out to do. But I don't even know if they can; that's how much I feel he meant to the company and the fans. He was such an unique individual in this chaotic land we call video games. 

Edited by TCB

While I'm not so familiar with all of Iwata's venturing, I'm sure with him being the president of Nintendo that he had a huge impact on my childhood.

Rest well, sir.

Now we can only hope that his successor is worthy of being so. I'm sure it's a tough spot to fill.

He was a charming character in video games and took things on the chin when shit was going down. I can all ways respect that in a person.

RIP Mr Iwata. Thank you for your wonderful contribution to gaming. 

He did a lot of good things, and 55 years of age was just too young for him to die. It is sad that he died. Your legacy will live on, Iwata. Rest in peace.

Well, I'll take a break from my game now. Hey guys, what's u....IWATA DIED?!

He had quite the imapct on Nintendo, our childhoods, maybe even those who worked alongside him.

My condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Edited by SurrealBrain

Saddened at this news, it took me by surprise, even though he missed so many events due to health reasons. He still seemed so full of life. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I might not have always agreed with Iwata's decisions in regards to certain things (ie Region Locking from DSi onwards) but when the chips were down he managed to find a way to turn the situation around fairly quickly (ie flagging 3DS sales and software library). I hope that whoever steps up will make the right calls for Nintendo and the fans around the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like everyone else, I'm at a loss for words.  I've had to wake up at 5am for work today which is very unusual and being greeted by this news... beyond surreal.  I'll be honest, I never knew he was behind so many great games until much later after he became president of Nintendo.  When I play older games and see him around in the credits it always takes me by surprise.  This is tremendously upsetting to hear, both in terms of the loss of he himself and it will affect those who worked with him at Nintendo.  I wish his family, friends and colleagues the very best in this time.  Nintendo wasn't the same before him and it won't be the same after him.

The people who criticised that direct did it on basis of content and the fact that E3 gave people greater expectations than a normal direct when really that's all it was to Nintendo. No-one was hating on Iwata, he wasn't in control of the exact content of the Direct or which games were ready to showcase that month and which weren't.  People already feel awful about this and this post seems incredibly mean-spirited and trying to give yourself brownie points for not hating on an announcement video or to make people feel bad when they already are upset about a great man's death.  The last direct is completely unimportant right now, shame on you.

Oh I'm not talking about the people who had legitimate complaints. I'm talking about the people on youtube and other places. I had my complaints about the direct as well and how dare you accuse me of trying to make myself look cocky and trying to make people feel more guilty. I know everyone here had their complaints with the direct and so did I. In no way am I saying the direct was good! Again I was referring to the people who went overboard with their hate. Do you know how many people when Reggie claimed Iwata didn't actually apologize shouted "Well he should apologize! He doesn't deserve to be happy with E3!"

*sigh* I'm sorry for the rant but it made me a little ticked that you thought I was trying to make it about the direct. All I was saying that I wished we got the chance to send Iwata off with a good last memory.

Edited by sonicgirl313

I keep thinking about this whole thing, and I never thought I'd be this upset over the death of a public figure (for lack of a better term). The last time I felt like this, my grandfather passed away, and I so rarely even talk about that openly. But I'm not even sure why that is. Is it the outpouring of love and admiration for the man? Is it because I'm aware of, and surprised at, just how much he did, and especially the influence he had on my gaming fandom? Both? It's really difficult for me to process.

Learning he was such an integral part of the development of Pokémon Gold and Silver, still one of my all time favorite games, both in that franchise and overall, and that a feat such as featuring two regions has yet to be replicated outside of a remake, makes me all the more appreciative for what he's done. Hell, he became part of the reason for Pokémon even becoming localized in English...and he was already a company president at the time and still doing programming work! I'm honestly amazed by all he's accomplished and his dedication to not just Nintendo, but his craft, I respect greatly.

I have to say, I am sad realizing that he won't be part of the Nintendo Directs anymore. No warm and friendly greeting, no goofy, but charming, Engrish... his personality was such a big part of those presentations, even when they're just telling you about stuff you already know. Maybe everyone else at Nintendo will be able to pick up the slack and still find ways to make those special, but one thing's for sure, it ain't going to be the same anymore. I'm hoping for a fitting tribute to accompany any new updates.

Miyamoto I know, but who is Takeda? what's his notable works? or is he not a game designer?

Let's not forget the work he did on the Wii, being its lead designer, above all else. DDDDDDD8

I'm absolutely crushed, you guys. Let us pray for him and his family, and most of all, Nintendo.

To those of you who own a Nintendo platform right now--play it. Play it hard, play it with power, play it loud, just play it.

Edited by \Lennox
  • Thumbs Up 1

It honestly blows my mind that Iwata had been this sick the entire time and was still trying to work his hardest until the very end. That, along with all of his other accomplishments when it comes to programming, putting together out favorite franchises and shaping them into what they are today, and just generally trying keeping Nintendo relevant over the years, gives me an infinite amount of respect for him. The games he had a hand in continue to entertain me so much to this day. His passing has been pretty saddening to me, even if I didn't know him personally. 

One of the great things about Iwata was that he was always pushing himself and staying positive even when the going got tough. I'm gonna try and do the same thing. 

Rest in peace, Iwata

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 7

I keep thinking about this whole thing, and I never thought I'd be this upset over the death of a public figure (for lack of a better term). The last time I felt like this, my grandfather passed away, and I so rarely even talk about that openly. But I'm not even sure why that is. Is it the outpouring of love and admiration for the man? Is it because I'm aware of, and surprised at, just how much he did, and especially the influence he had on my gaming fandom? Both? It's really difficult for me to process.

Learning he was such an integral part of the development of Pokémon Gold and Silver, still one of my all time favorite games, both in that franchise and overall, and that a feat such as featuring two regions has yet to be replicated outside of a remake, makes me all the more appreciative for what he's done. Hell, he became part of the reason for Pokémon even becoming localized in English...and he was already a company president at the time and still doing programming work! I'm honestly amazed by all he's accomplished and his dedication to not just Nintendo, but his craft, I respect greatly.

I have to say, I am sad realizing that he won't be part of the Nintendo Directs anymore. No warm and friendly greeting, no goofy, but charming, Engrish... his personality was such a big part of those presentations, even when they're just telling you about stuff you already know. Maybe everyone else at Nintendo will be able to pick up the slack and still find ways to make those special, but one thing's for sure, it ain't going to be the same anymore. I'm hoping for a fitting tribute to accompany any new updates.

I'm feeling the same way.  I mean, celebrity deaths sometimes hit hard for me, but this feels considerably more... poignant somehow.  Like, even though I didn't know about his existence until my late teen years, just knowing the kind of impact he had on me and my life without me even thinking about it is kind of incredible.  If it weren't for him, I might not be into music.  I might not have been able to have a creative outlet.  I might not have had the memories that I cherish now.

I remember the first time I was distressed by the death of a celebrity was when Steve Irwin died in 2006.  This feels a lot like that.  It doesn't feel like yet another celebrity I admired dying.  It feels like someone particularly special.

That being said, I'm probably full of crap.  I don't know.

• Thumbs Up 4

I always loved and admired the fact he truly and genuinely seemed to love his job, having alot of fun running this ship. So many great accomplishments he achieved in his young life. I'm really gonna miss him so much. Rest in piece Mr. Iwata.

Iwata was one hell of a determinator. He was willing to take the hits because this industry and loyalty to the company was that strong. It's even more impressive he still went about his duties with this stage of cancer, and to us never seen him falter. That's some fortitude I respect the hell out of.

What arguably his role in some of their recent business management mishaps is noted, you can't deny how passionate he was at heart for developing, designing and producing games. I don't see anyone in today's industry who busted their ass while keeping a smile on their face like he did. He made his position seem like fun to us, and you could tell he enjoyed it, from what the Directs to the Iwata Asks segments. Like he once said:

"Video games are meant for just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone."

Edited by TCB
  • Thumbs Up 2

Wow...this was definitely not something I was expecting logging back in.

This man was responsible for a lot of what we now enjoy from Nintendo, and you would hardly believe this man would end up ill to the point of death.

And at 55 years of age, that is WAY too young to die. It's a terrible loss, but we can still enjoy what this man had given us to enjoy.