Awoo.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has passed away

Carbo

I feel a direct connection to sadness even more now because I found out he was a programmer for Super Mario Galaxy, my favourite game of all time and now the weight of sorrow just feels that little bit heavier to me.

Like you don't realise what you've lost until you lose it, and in iwatas case we've lost a prophet of gaming, one of the big gods in the industry and it's just too hard to accept that such a happy and successful man is no longer with us.

Sad days ahead, the gaming world will never feel the same again for me.

I should probably blast across the galaxy from the stars and chase my  dreams of adventure one more time for him.

Thanks Iwata san.

• Thumbs Up 8

I've been finding it difficult to articulate my feelings about this since reading the sad news this morning. It surprised me how much it made me feel, given that my fondness for Nintendo as a company is relatively recent. That said, his unique communication with the fanbase, via Iwata Asks, Nintendo Directs and bits like his battle Reggie for Smash, is a hefty part of what endeared me to the company. It's a rare sight to see a CEO of an important developer and/or publisher be so earnest in their passion for gaming.

For him to be as young as that as well it such a shame. I hope his friends and family are finding a way to cope.

We have lost a great man. Nintendo games are a significant part of my life; I owe a lot to this man. A lot of games have helped me cope over the past two years, which have been highly difficult for me. He will be missed.

• Thumbs Up 2

As a final note, I am sorry to all I may have offended! and regarding Iwata here, I can only hope he goes to heaven! Rest In Peace...what else can I say at this point? Hopefully everyone else can learn from this as much as I did!

I am sorry I got carried away to the point I didn't realize I was getting off topic! tho actually I posted 2 posts (the first one was more straight foward)

mainly what I was trying to say was that Iwata's death influenced and inspired me to make better decisions and rethink my life, that's all! Perhaps I should have just said that instead of writing a whole essay about it. Again sorry about that, I hope I didn't offend anyone...did I?

What can I say that so many other people have said before me? My deepest condolences to his families and friends The gaming world has lost a great person. R.I.P Iwata, your contributions to gaming will not be forgotten.

Now that I let this sink in, I want to give Iwata a great thank you :').

When I was very young, I had bad frustration issues with games and despite owning multiple systems when I was little like the Game Boy Color, Nintendo 64 and even the Sega Dreamcast, I could never get into them and just got more angry.

But in 2002, I got my Nintendo GameCube and while my first games were Sonic titles (Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle), I also played a lot of Nintendo games of course :). Kirby Air Ride, Super Smash Bros. Melee and Mario Sunshine brought me really happy memories and stand next to the Sonic titles as GameCube games I really enjoyed. So, I want to thank Nintendo for getting me to enjoy and love gaming, as if it wasn't for the GameCube, I would have never been interested in gaming now.

I remember the day I got my Nintendo Wii back in early 2007. Me, my mom and my sister traveled from Franklin Square all the way to New York City's Nintendo World, as that was the only place they had a Wii. After playing Twilight Princess at a local GameStop a few months prior, I wanted a Wii due to how interesting it felt and played. 

After a long while of traveling on buses and trains, we got to Nintendo World and waited on a long line to pick up the Wii. After waiting a while, my mom got me my Wii and I had the biggest grin on my face. It was such a happy day and look back on it as a time where I really, truly loved Nintendo :').

While I fell out with Nintendo over the years and more recently got back into there work thanks to the Nintendo 2DS, I highly respect Iwata's leadership at making games fun. People want to make games look better, sound better, and want to play around with Free to Play methods to get more money. But Nintendo is never like that; they make a game and make sure its fun. 

To this day, they are still doing that and future projects like Super Mario Maker just highlight how fun Nintendo's games are :'). Looking back at this E3, I feel horrible for being so critical of Nintendo. I had my issues with them, but I wouldn't have been so aggressive with my issues if I knew Iwata was so ill :'(. I get why Reggie was so defensive of Iwata's 'apology' now and why his tone was so aggressive now and I feel bad at some of Iwata's final images was me being so negative toward Nintendo X(. 

Iwata has done a lot for the industry, from his amazing programming work with Earthbound and Pokemon Gold/Silver too his work at bring the Kirby series to life. Not to mention his leadership during the Wii and DS era, which was one of the strongest era's Nintendo's ever had with their software output, with games that really used the motion/touch screen to great lengths. 

I just want to say, Thank You :'). Iwata has had a tremendous impact on the gaming landscape and I prey his family, co-workers and friends recover from such loss. 

Thank you for giving me tons of amazing memories of jumping on Koopa's with Mario, traveling through dark space stations with Samus, having dog-fights with Fox and the gang, hunting ghosts with Luigi, tracing paths for a ball Kirby, having fun fights in Smash and letting me explore the sky with Pit.  

Nintendo has been part of my life for my entire childhood and I cannot thank Iwata and Nintendo enough for getting back into gaming all those years ago :'). May you rest in peace and your legacy live on. 

61833-197998-500xsuperworldjpg-620x1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 9

On hearing the news, I'll admit I wasn't mind-numbingly gutted. I don't usually cry at celebrity deaths. I was still sad about it, so played a bit of New Super Mario Bros. U (that was the last Mario game Iwata was Exec Producer of?) and had a cider for thanks.

My memories of Iwata were of all the Nintendo Directs I watched and how this incredibly charming man presented each segment, in Nintendo's own little. If you asked me to name someone of the big three console companies, Iwata would come to mind (along with Miyamoto and Fils-Aime) and I can't name anyone else. To me he was one of current-day gaming's most recognizable figures.

Funny, before all the news broke. I had a funny emotional turn on the 11th, and after calming down I put my 3DS on and played a bit of New Super Mario Bros. Then the following night whilst listening to music, I decided to stop and do other things. Last song I listened to Gusty Garden Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy. Weird how things happen for a reason.

Sad to know we'll never see him again on a Nintendo Direct.

I am honestly speechless. I had no idea he had health problems, so this was incredibly unexpected. I still can't believe this is happening.

Rest in peace, Iwata-san. You will be missed by many.

I sincerely hope next Nintendo Direct or something is dedicated to his memory.  I don't know if it would be pushing the envelope or not, but I really just don't want his death to be something that is bought up in the news and then abruptly dropped.  I want them to give him the send-off he deserves.

• Thumbs Up 5

I sincerely hope next Nintendo Direct or something is dedicated to his memory.  I don't know if it would be pushing the envelope or not, but I really just don't want his death to be something that is bought up in the news and then abruptly dropped.  I want them to give him the send-off he deserves.

A collection of his favorite games perhaps? or of the iconic ones he worked on? That would be one thing, wouldn't be surprised if there wound up being a Scholarship started in his name, but that's a more localized thing

A collection of his favorite games perhaps? or of the iconic ones he worked on? That would be one thing, wouldn't be surprised if there wound up being a Scholarship started in his name, but that's a more localized thing

I was thinking more of a segment that discusses his contributions to the gaming world, his life at Nintendo and how he impacted the lives of others around him, and the legacy he leaves behind.  Something tasteful, informative, and sentimental like that.

To make a whole segment for him would be weird. It's one thing if a fan does a tribute video but to make something similar in a Direct video would be inappropriate.

Are they supposed to make this everytime now when someone important dies? They did nothing for Yamauchi and it's normal like that.

Iwata was a very sympathetic guy and the circumstances of his death are tragic so I was just as touched (is this the right word?) as everyone else when I heard about it but yeah... as I said it would be inappropiate.

Nevertheless I really hope we get some kind of easteregg like the banana joke or the "Directly to you" gesture. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair you have to admit that Yamauchis time was before the modern Internet so he didn't have many options.

The fact that Iwata was so close to the public explains the mourning but I don't really know why you bring up the differences between the two? It doen't change something about my last post.

Edited by TheChris110

Television, radio, and trade shows were viable avenues for Yamauchi's generation, and they are avenues Walt Disney himself utilized to endear himself to the public.

The differences were brought up because not every important person who dies will have necessarily earned the outpouring of genuine grief and subsequent corporate response that Iwata has. That is just as dependent on their visible impact and beliefs as it is their financial and corporate status, thus saying it would be inappropriate for Nintendo to make a 15 minute video honoring Iwata simply because they didn't make one from Yamauchi is in itself a comparison that falls flat because it ignores the context surrounding the two men's presence. When Miyamoto eventually passes away, I will expect the same response and for Nintendo to do something versus a hypothetical president who was technically more important but only made the big corporate decisions.

• Thumbs Up 3

It wasn't just Nintendo's flag that was flying at half mast that day...

CJ08rRVUwAAyB7-.jpg

Whoever did this was really clever.

• Thumbs Up 6

Continuing what hogfather posted above.

Source.
CKBnDUiUYAAkDeh.jpg

Attending Iwata-san's wake to give my thanks and condolences. Miyamoto-san's eyes are red. It's also heavy rain in Kyoto.

1344689157227917197.jpg

Yuji Naka attended too, wish somebody would translate what hes been saying...

Source.
11350802_1154671371226660_23179636181740

Source.
11229962_1155245077835956_64604056158141

Weather can be really ironic sometimes.

Why did this have to happen. :(

• Thumbs Up 2