Awoo.

Sonic Unreal Engine

FXT

You guys have something going for it, I can tell. You guys are basically making Sonic GDK for Unreal Engine 4, and that sounds pretty swell. Keep up the good work! Hope you guys improve the physics though, it feels pretty wonky to see Sonic running super fast in an instant and his speed has no effect when it comes to inclines. I'm not sure how difficult that would be to do though.

Keep it up!

I'm happy to hear you guys are working on a successor to SGDK for UE4.

You guys are certainly off to a good start. Definitely going to follow this as it develops.

Thanks guys. I will keep you all updated here when we have new videos and demos. Although we have that sort of Dimps physics, that is something that we are doing some tests and probably we will try to implement the Sonic Physics Guide onto it to have everything fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This may be a tad bit off to the side, but did anyone ever make full use of Sonic GDK to make a release a fan game? I've seen people play around with it and even ran around in the test world myself, but I don't remember someone creating something from it. I'm just curious because I might have to check those out and it would be neat to get a taste of what people could potentially make with this in the future too.

On 7/16/2015 at 6:23 PM, wingedarcher7 said:

This may be a tad bit off to the side, but did anyone ever make full use of Sonic GDK to make a release a fan game? I've seen people play around with it and even ran around in the test world myself, but I don't remember someone creating something from it. I'm just curious because I might have to check those out and it would be neat to get a taste of what people could potentially make with this in the future too.

A game called Sonic Incursion is being finished. I will tell him to post here. I believe there are some games that have been trying to make their way and returned some days ago.

But UDK was hard to use, and that was a barrier for many people. UE4 was done to be as easy as can get, and with everything been able to be programmed visually, more people can get into it.

I should mention that after jumping (perhaps on a slope), Sonic occasionally stays in his ball form even after landing on the ground and is thusly unable to jump again, at least until he hits a slope the right way.

I'm aware the tech demo is a pre-beta build and this is either being or already has been fixed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I should mention that after jumping (perhaps on a slope), Sonic occasionally stays in his ball form even after landing on the ground and is thusly unable to jump again, at least until he hits a slope the right way.

I'm aware the tech demo is a pre-beta build and this is either being or already has been fixed.

Yeah, but it was good that you brought that. I thought I had it solved. Maybe it got lost in some commit or didnt fixed for every situation. I will take a look later. Thanks.

Forgive me for asking, but wasn't UDK as a whole designed around the limitations of UE3? Hence a lot of the wonkiness? It just comes off as weird to deliberately design something around something that was pretty sorely limited by how inflexible the game engine was. I'm more impressed by how the guys making the 06 remake are doing in Unity than by this.

On 7/17/2015 at 1:18 PM, shdowhunt60 said:

Forgive me for asking, but wasn't UDK as a whole designed around the limitations of UE3? Hence a lot of the wonkiness? It just comes off as weird to deliberately design something around something that was pretty sorely limited by how inflexible the game engine was. I'm more impressed by how the guys making the 06 remake are doing in Unity than by this.

I think there are a lot of misconceptionswhen it comes to Unreal. UDK was UE3 without access to source code.

If Sonic GDK games looked like this, it was the game designer work to make the template work in a more interesting and less wonky way. 

Still, UE4 takes any single thing that was difficult to do or technically complex from UE3 and made it easy to any person be able to use it. 

I did not mean to be disrespectful or blunt, just putting things in their places because I hear these opnions about UE3/UDK/UE4 a lot from people that are nondevelopers.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey can I have a link to it? I think it went down. It would be appreciated! I'm working on developing a game!

@Hyp3hat yeah, we got into a stable version with most stuff you would get in a Classic or Modern Sonic. Right now we just working on tweaks and some new utilities like a platform that have all possible platforms behavior to select, enemy projectiles, pogo spring and rocket shoes and some final touches in here and there.

• 1 year later...