Awoo.

Scrap the post count

Badnik Mechanic

Well done Casanova, I do agree that alot of people use the post count to judge other members by. Which I personally think is very silly. I view people's post counts as a way to see how active that person is, rather than how cool they are lol. I've been posting tons more simply because there's been more topics now that I'm interested in.

Is there a way to make it only visible to yourself?

Edited by Mollfie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roarey Raccoon

• Kevin

• Remy

• Eileanach

I honestly don't look at the post count.... I mean, it's not the number of posts it's how many posts were made. I'm for switching if off though, as other people seem to care.

Something that just came across my mind is this: Suppose post counts did went away. Then one could also argue "Oh, but what about member number? We should get rid of those too to avoid seniority, etc." It could become a double edged sword.

It'd be so double-edged, we'd get rid of all of the pointless statistics!

That'd be fucking horrible!!!

EDIT: 69th post, arharharhar

Edited by Strong Bad

I like the statistics, but I do feel the opening post is correct. Many people particular newbies put too much into post counts as a status symbol. Why not instead of removing them, just bury them? Remove the post count meter from each members post on the side bar, and place it in some obscure corner of the profile pages. As the saying goes, "Out of sight, out of mind."

Instead of putting the post count in your profile, why not hide it even further into your Control Panel? That way, everyone can still see their post count when they wish, but no one can see each others, making them appear gone, =/. However, there will still be the people that treat it like a game probably and try to brag about their posts even (doubt it'll get that bad though).

I don't know, I kinda like having my post count there, ^^". Like Diz said, I feel naked with out it, D=. Plus, like Flyboy said, I like to use it as a record to see how active I've been; whether I should pay attention a little more or less.

I think eventually I'll be able to live without it, but it's just a weird concept for this place, ^^". It just doesn't feel right to do it kinda, like it seems to be a part of the "SSMB" in a way. Lame I know, but I'm kinda attached to it, XD.

-Blur

Ming Ming Hatsune

One question since I wasn't here before the server wipe. Did members still had their post count shown on their sidebars back then? =o

Ultimately, I don't think post count equates to status at all. Not to sound harsh, but an idiot is still an idiot, no matter how many times they've posted. If someone posts a topic saying something completely absurd in a manner that's poorly spelled and worded, all the posts in the world aren't going to make them look intelligent.

My point? n00bs will be n00bs, post count or not. I really don't see any realistic gain from removing them, and all it'll do instead is irritate the people who just want it there as a fun statistic.

And hey, even with no post counts, people who see fit to can still play elitism on other members based on their join date. D=

Edited by Mahzes

I'm sort of split on this. For a staff member, it's easy to tell if a user is relatively new or posting just to stir up some crap by looking at their post count. On the other hand, I do feel that there is a little bit of up-your-own-arsery that entails within topics. Removing post count entirely still won't eradicate the problem with idiots and arseholes though. Hm.

I probably wouldn't be up for removing post count outright, but it would be easy to remove it from topic view. ;) I'd play ball to that.

People actually paid attention to the post count outside Breech?

Edited by Flint

Apparently so, considering the amount of people campaigning for it to stay.

One question since I wasn't here before the server wipe. Did members still had their post count shown on their sidebars back then?
You bet.

Let's say if it was gone, I wouldn't miss it.

One question since I wasn't here before the server wipe. Did members still had their post count shown on their sidebars back then? =o

Yes you could view your post count back then on the original board.

Because I was late into the game and I was like member 1,558 or something like that I had a low post count and I always felt threatened to talk back to the people with higher post counts because they had been here long time and would probably view me as a n00b regardless. But now that we're all on equal terms again I just talk to whomever I want the way I want. :lol:

I take on board Kevin's remark about it becoming a double edged sword because of the staff take the post count away then people will want member numbers removed and then any other form of statistic so as much as a positive as it may seem to take away post counts altogether upon further thought I think it may end up doing more damage than good in the long term.

I take on board Kevin's remark about it becoming a double edged sword because of the staff take the post count away then people will want member numbers removed and then any other form of statistic so as much as a positive as it may seem to take away post counts altogether upon further thought I think it may end up doing more damage than good in the long term.
A message board shouldn't be about who has more posts, who's been here longer, or what member number you are. If this board reset has taught us one thing, it is that these things do not matter.

The board should be about conversation. If low posts counts, joining in a later year, etc. are making people feel uncomfortable, or nervous I think they should be removed. It's not so much a problem here but I've seen people get picked on for that sort of thing on other boards and it disgusts me. The forum should be an even playing field.

The board should be about conversation. If low posts counts, joining in a later year, etc. are making people feel uncomfortable, or nervous I think they should be removed. It's not so much a problem here but I've seen people get picked on for that sort of thing on other boards and it disgusts me. The forum should be an even playing field.

I agree. On many other forums you see people with their posts in the high thousands being dicks and telling people with lower post counts "shut up n00b" etc...

That can be discouraging for new comers to forums. Even if they don't see people ripping on n00bs - if a newcomer wanted to get involved in a conversation but saw all the other posters had high post counts, they might feel less welcome and not want to contribute.

Even though it shouldn't - higher post counts tend to mean "higher status" to most people.

I like the idea of hiding post counts, so they aren't in view all the time. That way people can check to see how many posts they have and be like "I'm awesome" - but it will also mean that newcomers can jump in and say their piece without the fear of being persecuted for being new.

Isn't it kind of Fridge Logic to be posting in a topic that asks for no post count?

Personaly, I don't see how it would make a difference, and I like seeing how much of my life I wasted here. I doubt it will kill off all spam posts.

But, majority rules... *shrug*

KittyNakajima

You know, that's actually not a bad idea. I haven't necessarily felt that in my tenure on this forum, but elsewhere on the internet like Deviantart and a few other forums I used to go to. Apparently post counts/page views were everything to some folks to the point where the mods had to instill a 'no bumping' rule in the forum policy to prevent folks from just adding one word sentences and other irrelevant rubbish just to gain a number of post counts.

However, some of the negative shit I've seen has usually come from idiots who have nothing else going for them other than a bunch of stupid numbers. Especially if you're like me and tend to have a lower post count for the mere fact that you simply tend to lurk as opposed to frequently post. I tend to make long, detailed posts if the topic is truly of interest to me, so sometimes it tends to feel as if what I wrote doesn't hold as much weight as someone who has twice or triple the amount of posts that I have.

But that's just me and my experiences, not necessarily saying that it happens over here since most folks seem to be very levelheaded and mature about the way they go about posting, so either way I don't think removing/keeping the post count will have a negative impact either way I look at it.

^ I've found that on other forums too. I think that hiding it so only you can see if a good idea, and then if people still insist on boasting (which I havn't actually witnessed here) then they'll look more like a douche really lol.

On the only other forum I'm a really active member on, post counts are irrelivant really because our admin and mods don't give a crap how much you post, or what you post. If you want to just post "<3" you can. No one cares. Also most of the people on there, including myself, had to move across when our old board had to close. That and we've all known each other for years so you are respected based on your history with people, not how many posts you make. I know people there you've made about 30 posts in 3 years and are more respected and loved than the members who have 15000 posts.

Edited by Mollfie

Roarey Raccoon

I have a suggestion that wont involve modifying the forums in an attempt to act upon a vague, untested solution to a minor problem. If you see someone being a complete elitist on the forum, treating people like shit, don't assume the staff will protect them because of post count or whatever balls and just report them. If you're nervous about posting against someone with a massive post count, I understand but that's an insecurity that isn't our problem. If you have confidence issues, talk to a member of staff for reassurance; you can talk to me as well, I have plenty of experience talking to people about sensitive subjects so if you have any issues on here you can send them to me.

Despite the fact that I am habitually bad-tempered on the forum, it's more of a tactic to keep people in line than any real aggression; you'll find that my tone is very different if you approach me with genuine concern. Either way, this is a bit of a pointless battle against normal human behaviour. People are going to boast and think highly of themselves, everybody in this topic has done it before and will do it again. In fact, by talking about these mysterious boasters and assholes, you're putting yourselves on a pedestal above, to convince others you aren't one of these social deviants. I don't give a shit, communities will have their dramas and odd characters, that's what makes them exciting; all I'm concerned with is providing order via rule enforcement and reassuring members who approach me personally.

Am I the only one here who actually cares about post count? It looks like it =0

Seriously, to me half the fun is watching my post count go up, trying to get as many as certain other members who've been here longer than I have (this was on the old forum, of course), but just because I like post count DOES NOT mean I post for the hell of it just to raise the number, I post because I want to and because I want to be noticed and get more friends, I never make spam posts just to raise my post count.

In a way yeah, removing the post count is a good thing because I wouldn't feel I'm competing against someone with higher counts than me and I wouldn't have to worry about my post count number being too low making me look like a n00b, so yeah I don't mind either way really, it certainly wouldn't stop me from posting here still :]

Edited by S o n i c

Now that you mention it, there was one topic, about several months ago after Sonic Chronicles came out. One user with a SS Goku avatar was giving his impression of the game. One other person came up and replied and they argued for a few posts.

Then one of them had said

Well look at your post count, I have more than you, therefore I contribute to this site more than you do.

Personally I wouldn't mind either way if they were gone or stay. But its really strange how a post count can be so important, other than what I quoted.

Edited by Jetronic

In another forum I go to, post counts were disabled for the same reason... and it worked! Who's to say it won't work here?

To be honest, I really haven't seen much post-count elitism here at all. I'd personally suggest leaving it for now and keeping it in mind as an option if the problem presents itself. There are probably more pressing tweaks needed at the moment.

The best solution is prevention >_> also I'm sure this problem would take years of coding to fix, and not a few clicks in the ACP or anything.

However, that removes it for those who genuinely enjoy the feature, even though nothing bad's happened yet.