Awoo.

Do people still think Sonic Adventure's a good game?

PKGaming

My opinion over the years hasn't changed. It's alright, but not really a favorite by any means. I've always preferred SA2B.  I think remake would be really fun, though.

Game Grumps have always had a problem where its emphasis on comedy causes them to sometimes take massive leaps in order to paint a game as bad, and with Arin's constant eroticism for hating Sonic, you can guarantee that he's going to constantly lambaste even the sensible parts of SA1.  Game Grumps is a show about comedy first, which is one thing I love about it, but Sonic isn't the only victim to this.  To this day, I'm still upset that they didn't give a proper playthrough for The Great Circus Mystery starring Mickey and Minnie.  That's a game you can literally beat in one playthrough.  It's short, easy, and childish, but it has some of the best co-op on the SNES. (Or maybe I'm just saying that because I'm nostalgic; whatever!)  The controls aren't broken; if there is a problem with the game it's that the puzzles are too obvious, but I mean, it's made for six-year-olds so I don't blame it too much.  There's no excuse for them to have written off the game as terrible, because Arin couldn't figure out the obvious solution to a puzzle that was literally right in front of his face.  I mean, Goof Troop is a much harder game and they stuck through with that until the end.

On the flipside, even when the game actually is bad, sometimes they don't explore its badness enough.  One such example is Alfred Chicken.  I was really looking forward to seeing how they would react to the game.  But their playthrough basically went like this- *takes one microstep forward* "OMG ARIN THIS GAME SUCKS!" "I KNOW!" *deliberately dies several times* (Also, they still haven't finished Ride to Hell: Retribution and that pisses me off so much)

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Game Grumps are not professional commentators.  Their playthroughs are not reviews, nor qualitative analyses.  They're comedy-centric hangouts recorded for amusement, which means that the actual quality of the games is going to be affected by whatever mood they're in at the time.  There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but it means I wouldn't take anything they say at face value.  Unfortunately, some people do, and that tends to negatively impact fandoms in certain ways.

But that doesn't excuse the fact that SA1 hasn't aged well.  At all.  This is not helped by the fact that recent ports of the game have been absolute rubbish.  The Steam version is almost unplayable at times.  I can't tell you how often the control was taken from me in the Steam version.  Like, oh my god it's so bad.  The game overall is glitchy, though.  It still plays fairly well in that the game will typically not prevent you from getting from point A to point B.  But in this day and age, all the problems that SA1 has would be ironed out in Alpha testing presumably.  The only thing I can think of that remains solid throughout the years is probably the soundtrack, which is still one of my favorites in the Sonic series.

Yet, we still have people who give this game critical acclaim, and consider it and SA2 to be the last two good Sonic games.  The constant cries for SA3 are a testiment to this.  That's what makes it a particularly easy target.  Some people consider this glitchy mess of an outdated game to be the pinnacle of Sonic gaming,  I don't consider their opinions any less legitimate, of course, and I certainly don't think they're the ones "giving the Sonic fanbase a bad name" or whatever the more elitist fans might say.  But the fact that this was the first Sonic game many fans ever played is guaranteed to have nostalgia shape people's perception of its quality.

That is to say, though, that despite its graceless aging, SA1 still has quite the legacy behind it.  Its core ideas and mechanics are still solid in principle.  That's one reason SA3 is such a sought after thing.  I acknowledge that SA1 is flawed, but I'd kill for a Sonic game that has all the high points of SA1 without the glitches and padding and dialogue quirks and weird facial expressions.  Unleashed 360/PS3 has been the closest thing to me, which is one reason I love it so much.

Anyway, yeah, people still find SA1 to be a "good" game in the sense that it's not completely botched.  But I wouldn't recommend it to people who aren't used to game standards from 1999.

• Thumbs Up 9

I myself think that SA1 has aged quite well. I played it first time this year and it became my favourite Sonic game. It has it problems but stuff that is good is just so good that it makes me forgot all of those problems.

When it come to glitches,I don't really remember any. I think I must be very lucky when it comes to glitches 

I like Sonic Adventure. I first played it in 2010 and I enjoyed it, despite it being on PC with keyboard controls. There were glitches, yeah, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. It was fun playing as Sonic in an open 3D world and going fast, and exploiting the floaty jump with the spindash. I only disliked the Big sections. Amy too a little because of how slow she was. But those stories weren't as long as Sonic's so I didn't see it as the worst thing ever.

I know people have said it hasn't dated well, but I played it and enjoyed it fine. I feel people can still enjoy it. Maybe some have too high standards and can't get into old games, though. The way I approach games is, I look at when they were originally released and imagine playing it at the time of release. I don't compare it to new games, just games that had come out up to the point of the game's release. 

It's mostly a subconscious thing I do, so I wasn't thinking too hard about it. I had fun with the game and that's all I cared about. I didn't quite get the Chao Garden stuff but in recent years I've been going back to play with them. I'm also noticing little things I didn't see before, such as the NPC people having their own little story arcs or reacting to stuff going on in the main story. Stuff like that make the game feel more immersive, and I like exploring this little world built around Sonic and his friends. 

If we're really getting fed up over Game Grumps though, just forget about it. There's nothing you can do to change their minds. People like that purposefully play those games and call them bad because it's cool. Or they really don't want to like the series. Either way, what Arin was doing, he did it on purpose. Why would you constantly slow down and stop at the middle of a loop? Yes, it's possible to glitch through. My cousins ran into that glitch when they were playing it on my PC but I told them to just keep moving forward, and after that they got through the section. My point is, Arin went into the game with the mindset that it's bad and he wants to prove it to everyone. He's not gonna go "hey this is kinda nice" anytime soon. Maybe Danny, but not Arin. But seriously, there's no reason to get heated up over some internet video. I saw a lot of complaints on the statuses yesterday and when I found out it was about Game Grumps playing a Sonic game, I just let out a sigh. This thread seems to be rather calm and professional though, so that's good. 

• Thumbs Up 2

My first Sonic game was Sonic Adventure DX, and I still prefer its spirit and style than SA2. But SA2 is great, too. :)

Well, personally... I think SA is a good game, too. When I was young, as far as I know only "Sonic thing" that was translated here was Sonic X. It was popular, but games... were just there. My school had a library with some computers in it. In one of them, there was full version of SADX. Basically, I've seen a large crowd around a certain boy, so I decided to check out what they are looking at, and when I saw the game, I just fell in love for it, and decided to buy it someday. It looked fun.

I liked the music, story, graphic and locations. Gameplay was good, animation too (these mouths don't really bother me) and voice acting.. well, I'm from other country so it didin't really bother me either. I liked it. But the thing I liked the most was the charm of this game. The best example is Mystic Ruins. When you travel there for the first time, and you see how it looks, then the music starts playing.. oh, man! I just love it how you can feel the energy of locations.

Anyway, Adventure is just a really fun game that you sometimes want to re-visit from time to time, no matter if it's for the atmosphere or to check your Chao Garden. When it comes to glithces - every game has them. Small or big, they still will be here (That's actually why I don't hate on RoL and 06 so much - I haven't played them jet and I want to see if they are THAT bad. I still might have fun with these games, after all). I don't like Game Grumps, and I appriciate Arin only for his animations. Besides, only time I laughed when I was watching them was at the "it's no use" moment. So... yeah. Like everybody else said - it may not aged well (though I personally think it did) but it's still FUN and charming. I only hope that there will not be many people who claim that "it's the worst sanik game evah" again...

I somehow missed this when I watched the video, but Arin says this:

"Jesus Christ, this is unacceptable! How can people defend this!?"

Well, Arin, that's pretty easy, if you just hold up on the control stick, you avoid the glitch. It's pretty simple, and I'm pretty sure Arin is going out of his way to break that loop too. He's wanted to "prove" how bad Sonic Adventure is since he and Jon played through Sonic '06:

See how adamant he is about this? Arin hates this game, and he's gonna prove to the world how bad it is. Just watch, I'm sure we're gonna see more bugs that are easily avoidable, yet somehow he "accidentally" triggers them. I'll readily admit that Sonic Adventure hasn't aged well, but "just as bad as Sonic '06"? Give me a fucking break... Sorry for the rant, but I can already tell this series is gonna create an atmosphere where it's not okay to like Sonic Adventure...

Well, Arin, that's pretty easy, if you just hold up on the control stick, you avoid the glitch.

Nope. Bad defense. Saying you can avoid the glitch if you know ahead of time what's going to happen and what to press does not actually excuse the glitch. This is literally the exact kind of bullshit people use to defend '06; it doesn't fly there, it doesn't fly here.

• Thumbs Up 5

Nickonaquamagna noticed this too. Arin has an agenda. He's deliberately breaking that loop. He wants to "prove" how bad Sonic Adventure is.

Well, Arin, that's pretty easy, if you just hold up on the control stick, you avoid the glitch. It's pretty simple, and I'm pretty sure Arin is going out of his way to break that loop too. He's wanted to "prove" how bad Sonic Adventure is since he and Jon played through Sonic '06:

See how adamant he is about this? Arin hates this game, and he's gonna prove to the world how bad it is. Just watch, I'm sure we're gonna see more bugs that are easily avoidable, yet somehow he "accidentally" triggers them. I'll readily admit that Sonic Adventure hasn't aged well, but "just as bad as Sonic '06"? Give me a fucking break... Sorry for the rant, but I can already tell this series is gonna create an atmosphere where it's not okay to like Sonic Adventure...

Dude, I have no proof that they aren't doing that on purpose, but when I played Adventure I unintentionally broke loops and encountered bugs all the fucking time. Does this mean that everyone who accidentally clips through the ground or breaks the loops is trying to show the game is bad on purpose? 

There are a lot of parts in Adventure that are really broken, and not everyone knows what's going to happen. 

Edited by Osmium
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nope. Bad defense. Saying you can avoid the glitch if you know ahead of time what's going to happen and what to press does not actually excuse the glitch. This is literally the exact kind of bullshit people use to defend '06; it doesn't fly there, it doesn't fly here.

I'll agree it's a bad defense, but it's a solution to a problem. It's not game breaking like Knuckles's inability to get off a wall in Sonic '06.

Dude, I have no proof that they aren't doing that on purpose, but when I played Adventure I unintentionally broke loops all the fucking time. Does this mean that everyone who accidentally clips through the ground or breaks the loops is trying to show the game is bad on purpose? 

You're missing the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying it's impossible to accidentally run into a glitch, but knowing Arin's past with Sonic Adventure, he likely knows how to break the game, and is going to do it whenever possible.

You're missing the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying it's impossible to accidentally run into a glitch, but knowing Arin's past with Sonic Adventure, he likely knows how to break the game, and is going to do it whenever possible.

Okay, I did interpret what you said wrong.

But still, just because Arin has a strong dislike with Adventure, I don't think he's purposely trying to break the game. Watching the video again, a lot of the parts in Emerald Coast where they clip through the ground seem genuine to me. 

The part with the loop I think isn't purposely broken either. I think they got stuck in the middle of the loop (which happens to me at times) and when they tried to just move forward it broke and they ended up on top. I've never encountered a glitch that crazy before there, but I bet it's happened to other people before. 

It's possible this was an accident, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was trying to break the game.

Explain to me how the hell you are to know that unless you have already played the game multiple times?

He isn't going out of his way to break the game at all, he's trying to play and control the game, but if you do that the game unfairly punishes you by clipping through a wall.

Honestly I think the only conspiracy here is from Sonic fans trying to prove that Arin is intentionally making the game look bad when from a technical standard Sonic Adventure is more than capable of doing that on it's own accord. 

You aren't gonna know, but I figured it was common sense to hold up on the control stick. I also already agreed with Diogenes that this was a bad defense, but it's a solution to the problem nonetheless. Also, really? prove to me that Arin isn't trying to break the game. If you're going make a positive claim, you're gonna have to back that up with evidence, and you have none. I only asserted that I think Arin is trying to break the game, not that he is doing it.

Explain to me how the hell you are to know that unless you have already played the game multiple times? Or have played it regularly to the point where you instinctively know to do that?

He isn't going out of his way to break the game at all, he's trying to play and control the game, but if you do that the game unfairly punishes you by clipping through a wall.

Honestly I think the only conspiracy here is from Sonic fans trying to prove that Arin is intentionally making the game look bad when from a technical stadard Sonic Adventure is more than capable of doing that on it's own accord. 

Hogfather, I've seen new players go through that loop without any problems at all. I have never seen anyone have THAT many problems on that same damned loop. He is deliberately breaking it. It's pretty damn obvious he is. I'm not saying that it isn't a problem, but he is not being honest here.

Hogfather, I've seen new players go through that loop without any problems at all. I have never seen anyone have THAT many problems on that same damned loop. He is deliberately breaking it. It's pretty damn obvious he is. I'm not saying that it isn't a problem, but he is not being honest here.

I've had a LOT of problems on that loop before. I've seriously gotten game overs from glitching through it so much. And I'm not looking out for glitches either. 

I also already agreed with Diogenes that this was a bad defense, 

Then stop using it.

You're building up conspiracy theories around a guy playing a game for the internet finding a known glitch in a glitchy game and taking a couple of tries to figure out what the fuck happened, because he once said he didn't like the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, really? prove to me that Arin isn't trying to break the game. If you're going make a positive claim, you're gonna have to back that up with evidence, and you have none. I only asserted that I think Arin is trying to break the game, not that he is doing it.

Oh we're playing this now are we?

Yeah right, ok lets think about this are we.

You've just watched someone play the game for what they say is their first time, they constantly clip through the wall on a section of the game which is notoriously bugged and you're claiming "He's doing it deliberately." 

You have absolutely nothing to back that up with, nothing at all. 

Unless you hold specific controls at that section you will ALWAYS fall through the level.

Everything Arin does in his playthrough makes sense, on a 3D platformer, if you fall off a platform or clip through it, you usually either speed up or slow down on the next attempt depending on how the platform is designed and what you did in that initial instance. In the first instance he goes at full speed and the glitch occurs. He even says 'was I going too fast?' and 'Slow down next time.' If you do it again your natural instinct is to hold a directional button and slow down since high speed in games can totally bugger them up, especially in 3D platformers. 

The same thing happens so now he tries to be even more careful, sure enough it glitches again. 

This isn't someone trying to glitch the game, this is someone trying to actually prevent himself from dying in the game.

Really,so how many players have you personally watched and studied go through that section of the game? Was this a scientific study or is it just the random Joes you've watched on youtube? 

Is this all you're got? A random non presented list of people you've personally seen get through with no problems? That's proof he's deliberately breaking the game? Wow man.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 3

Oh we're playing this now are we?

Yeah right, ok lets think about this are we.

You've just watched someone play the game for what they say is their first time, they constantly clip through the wall on a section of the game which is notoriously bugged and you're claiming "He's doing it deliberately." 

Sigh, I'm not claiming he's doing it deliberately I'm claiming that I think he's doing it deliberately. There's a difference. If I was claiming that he for sure is doing it deliberately, I'd have to back that up with evidence, but I'm not suggesting that. My suggestion is a hunch, I'm not making a definitive claim. 

This isn't someone trying to glitch the game, this is someone trying to actually prevent himself from dying in the game.

Now this is a definitive claim, prove it. 

Edited by ThePrinceOfSaiyajins

Sigh, I'm not claiming he's doing it deliberately I'm claiming that I think he's doing it deliberately. There's a difference.  

No, there isn't.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sigh, I'm not claiming he's doing it deliberately I'm claiming that I think he's doing it deliberately. There's a difference.

He's not doing it deliberately!

I think he's doing it deliberately!

What the fuck, there is barely any difference here at all!? 

Edited by Hogfather

When I first played sonic adventure I think it was only once I ever had issues with the loop part.

However I did have the problem they had earlier with clipping through the wall just before the loop on that thin path. There's a drag there that seems to like dragging sonic right to the wall. It was annoying for me on my first play through. I started trying to avoid it by trying to jump over the part that glitches. Then I found that forcefully holding the stick in the opposite direction of the drag seems to help.

While I don't agree with sonic adventure being like sonic 06. I personally do find the game unpolished in areas when compared to even some N64 games when played normally.

My copy is the Gamecube PAL copy. On normal playthrough due to that drag beginners are guaranteed to clip through that wall at least once. I did multiple times until I worked a way around it. My brother also did also.=/

Of course I like the game and think it's a great game. Though there are a few issues with it.

Edited by Super Sonic Speed

No, there isn't.

He's not doing it deliberately!

I think he's doing it deliberately!

What the fuck!?

Sigh... One's stating a fact, the other is stating an opinion. That's the difference. 

Sigh... One's stating a fact, the other is stating an opinion. That's the difference. 

Oh really?

I'm pretty sure Arin is going out of his way to break that loop too. He's wanted to "prove" how bad Sonic Adventure is since he and Jon played through Sonic '06:

So what exactly do you have to support this opinion?

Like I said in that post which you ignored, everything Arin does in that video is right when he encountered that glitch, he even questions out loud if he was going too fast and voices his next strategy. 

What exactly do you have to support the opinion that he's deliberately breaking it? Is it just that 'well it never happened to me?' 

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1