Awoo.

Police Brutality Thread

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

No really, when and how? White people clearly have a solution and aren't just saying this every time a black person has a issue with society because they're racist and uncomfortable looking these issues in the face. 

In fairness, Noah's comparison of athletes to Rosa Parks is flawed. Protesting on public transit inherently carries more protection than at your place of work; bear in mind, this is why we're able to ban someone like Milo and the KKK from speaking or demonstrating at most places, as their speech rights are greatly restricted at private venues.

A much better case is the singer who used his own performance to protest, as he's his own boss. The fact he gets criticized for it is particularly concerning.

Ultimately though, there's a free market principle here. If people are so upset with actions, they should vote with their dollars. They shouldn't be telling any of these performers what they should and shouldn't do. These people want to have their cake and eat it too (that is, both enjoy the show and be free from criticism of current policy), which is why they don't threaten boycotts or don't follow up on boycotts. And in that regard, they're just going to have to deal with it if they don't like celebrities expressing political viewpoints while on the job. They're like people who pay for a ticket to an offensive comedian's show and then get angry when he's offensive; they know what they're getting into.

Food for thought though: conservatives are quick to tell celebrities to stay out of politics when they have a liberal perspective, but go misty eyed when the celebrity takes a conservative viewpoint. You don't hear any rancor over Caitlyn Jenner or James Woods expressing right wing viewpoints from the same people, strangely.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Also interesting to know it was a Vet that told Kap to kneel.

It goes to show that the people making the most fuss about it really don't know what they're talking about. Soldiers seem to stand pretty solidly behind Kap's ability to express himself.

16 minutes ago, Lord Basil (Ogilvie) said:

Protesting on public transit inherently carries more protection than at your place of work

I'd say the issue there is that at the time what she was doing was considered "illegal" so the main point Noah makes is that a lot of the people now would be jumping down the throat of her or those that were sitting in bars to protest, as they aren't "respecting the laws in place and being grateful", and being an inconvenience to those simply wanting to get places. And really, given Noah makes valid points about people having a issue with every method blacks use to protest nowadays, you know that's true.

And technically they weren't on the job yet as that doesn't start until they actually start playing football. Before that point, they're just citizens expressing their views similar to miss Parks. And even if they were, Trump calling them Sons of bitches and demanding them fired or suspended is clearly in the wrong and unconstitutional 

• 2 months later...

Warning: graphic material 

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/us/police-shooting-video-arizona.html?referer=http://m.facebook.com

Just...wow. The cop gets acquitted, despite video evidence, against a innocent man, got tried, but not found guilty. And all he fucking needs to say is “I thought he was reaching for a gun” the trained professional “thought” and got a scared. And people go on to defend this system and those that clearly abuse their power or aren’t fit for the job. 

And BLM is fighting for the white guy, so yeah, can’t wait for ignorant people that wanna treat them like a hate group against whites to brush that under the rug and continue their false narrative.

And to just further how ALM is a shit white privilege group in disguise 

5BFFEBEF-56FE-4257-AD94-E20F9D2AA352.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

I’m still seeing people online try and put the cop in the right, or say he was punished enough. And of course these sympathizers also are the ones that usually say police brutality isn’t as bad as it’s made out and that people need to just follow what the officer says, looking for any way to defer the argument to a unrelated point where they wouldn’t have to bring facts, etc.

“respect this country and the brave people that risk their lives everyday! You do what they say! Otherwise I won’t be surprised if you get a bullet” They treat law enforcement like its some godly position where you can do no wrong. Jesus

Pretty much. These are people that have been brainwashed to think that police are always right, as if they're some sort of perfect advanced species of superbeings rather than fallible humans; that by breaking the law, you deserve whatever punishment you get, no matter how disproportionate or inhumane. If a police officer tortured and killed someone for loitering, they'd just blame the guy for loitering in the first place.

I wouldn't be surprised if some officers joined the force specifically to take advantage of these people's legalist borderline worship for the police, knowing that they can commit the most heinous murders with the smallest excuse, and get away with it. Because in the United States of America, the same people meant to uphold the law are, perhaps ironically, above the law.

• Promotion 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4w7xwq/what-happens-to-cops-who-arrest-other-cops

Good reading and a change of pace. If regular citizens exposing police abuses is "cop shaming," how about when other police do it?

The story relates several cases where officers actually did their job and investigated (and even arrested) other officers for abusive practices. Invariably, they are punished either through being assigned desk jobs or through systematic harassment by other police. One ended up being arrested (by a force of 13 cops barging into his apartment) because of his investigations, and ironically was only able to get out of custody because of his father, a retired officer, coming to get him out.

The American police are about as corrupt as the Mexican police, to be quite honest. They may not be taking massive cash bribes as regularly, but the message is the same: good cops will not last.

The Mexican towns that have made a point to fire every single officer and bring in new ones with strict standards have the right idea. The only way to fix the system is, quite frankly, to tear it the fuck down.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

16 Year old Joseph Haynes was shot and killed by a police officer in juvenile court in response to him trying to defend his family members who had gotten riled at the cop threatening to arrest Haynes during the hearing. He was unarmed, and the officer was the only one with a gun in the room. Haynes grandmother claims Haynes grabbed the officers shoulder to which he shot, but says he also could have tased instead.

http://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2018/01/ohio-teen-joseph-haynes-killed-police-courthouse-180119073825276.html

I heard about this yesterday. I live in Columbus, but I've been far too busy to keep up with the exact details on this one. I agree that the cop should have used a taser, but I have difficulty outright calling it brutality; the suspect was actively fighting the cop from what I saw on the news yesterday, and could have easily gotten a hold of the gun. Again, I don't have all the details yet, but this one might just be a really bad call instead of active aggression by a cop.

Regardless, the loss of a young life is a shame. And it should be considered to retrain all cops. Maybe training/protocol should be to go for taser in close-range encounters like this? I don't have the answers. It just hurts to see something like this hit so close to home (literally). 

• 3 months later...

This is fucking deep, and only further proves that black people aren’t just “making up” this shit or “race baiting” like many conservatives try to proclaim we’re doing. 

• 6 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46187460

What. Fucking. Pigs.

I saw just the other night in the Steve McQueen film Widows, when the son of one of the main characters did an illegal U-turn in front of the police while he was on the phone to his father. He was the son of a black mother and white father. When he was pulled over, he was having an argument on the phone. He put it down to answer to the police. His father kept shouting through the phone, so the son goes to pick it up again. At that point the police pump many bullets into him, assuming he was going for a gun.

Now this real life incident, when a man had opened fire at a Chicago bar. Ran out and the bar's African-American security guard ran after him, caught him and sat on him pointing his legally owned firearm at the gunman to wait until the police arrived. What do the police do? They shoot dead the security man.

The police do not have a fucking clue.

• Absolutely 1

• 3 months later...

Crossposting with the American Politics thread on this one because while we usually perceive brutality as being physical abuse, it also takes the form of financial abuse.

We just took a huge step towards limiting that financial abuse.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/02/supreme-court-rules-against-civil-forfeitures-rbg-timbs.html

The Supreme Court has unanimously ruled to incorporate the Excessive Fines Clause. Many police departments have developed a habit of legally stealing through "civil asset forfeiture," where they can seize (through civil suits, where you aren't guaranteed a defense) any property tenuously connected to a case. This property can later be sold; the department gets to keep the profits. There is no shortage of cases where this has been abused: even a crime happening on your property is grounds for the police to legally steal your home.

Even Neil Gorsuch thought it was ridiculous we're debating this issue still, and the Court voted unanimously to ban the practice.

I think we can all enjoy some catharsis on this one.

• 1 year later...

*sigh* The Minneapolis protests I fully support, fuck the police and all that, there is no justification for what that officer did, and the response to the protests by them only heightens the clear night and day reactions to black protests vs white protests,  but like, please don’t repeat what happened during BLM and ransack stores and vandalize peoples shit in. White people will often look for any reason to discredit a black cause, as we saw with BLM, when people started calling it a hate group/terrorist group because of the actions of some, even when black people against that shit were denouncing those members and people not actually a part of the movement. You’re actively hurting the cause when you do this shit, and people will take it out on the overall community, and use it to justify their racism towards us. Just...fucking be sensible. I get how some protests to inconvenience the masses can work and send a message, and how peaceful protests aren’t always effective or the answer (even MLK admitted that, tho in this case, I think it was fine and working in showing the societal double standards ), but this? This is just using the protests as a excuse to be asshats. These people who’s stores your ruining, did not play a part whatsoever in the murder, they are as far as you’re concerned not part of the systematic forces oppressing us. 

Edit: 

027DA735-552B-4CA5-8F9D-306F542DCC3E.jpeg
Now this I’m totally A-ok with

The delivery driver was seriously like “oh, this guy? We reserve the right to refuse service, then”?

Pretty much. Food delivery service drivers reserve the right to refuse service or cancel an order. (Not sure about stores with delivery services like Pizza Hut tho. But GrubHub, Postmates, etc. all have pretty lenient refusal of service polices last I saw) They’re not under any legal obligation to follow through all the way. They can just make up a reason why they can’t finish it if they want.  Worst that’s on the line is a bad rating. Even if they get fired for it, I commend them willing to put themselves on the line simply to middle finger a racist murderer 

The person who started the looting was according to information being dug up and revealed an undercover cop sent in by the corrupt police force to control the narrative and direct outrage to black communities. Fuck the police already, but if more information just straight up confirms this even harder, fuck it with a 9 inch pole

Oh also the police precinct is burning down, and a majority of the police are guarding a murderer.  I’m certainly celebrating one of these things 

edit: it’s been more or less confirmed that it was a police officer. The dudes ex-girlfriend spilled the beans. So yeah, someone grab me a 9 inch pole

Edited by KHCast

Apparently alt righters/white nationalists are posting and sharing among them videos of the protests/riots exposing the protestors faces. If you’re participating in them, or know people that are, just a heads up, be careful of being recorded. Also it may be best to not blindly share said videos, until you’ve watched them as a precaution to make sure you aren’t just helping expose these people.

Edit: 

Murderer* Derek Chauvin who used his police status to enact and enable his racism and murder the innocent black man George Floyd, has been finally arrested 

He was charged with third degree murder and manslaughter. The other 3 officers were fired.

I'm guessing the murder charge will be dropped, and the manslaughter charge is what will stick.

Of course they charge him with the least severe one.  Hope those charges stack, cause atm it sounds way to easy on him. Same with the other cops that were apart of this 

Third degree murder is what most cleanly fits what he did based on the letter of Minnesota law. It's a higher charge than negligent homicide (which is what the manslaughter charge is covering just in case), but less than insisting that Chauvin killed Floyd intentionally and hoped to skate on it that they'd need to prove with 2nd.

They also may be trying to avoid a repeat of the disaster that happened with the Treyvon Martin case, where the prosecutor had stars in her eyes and focused so hard on getting a second degree murder charge to stick that when it was clear that it wouldn't (arguably before the trial even started) they were basically fucked and Zimmerman was able to walk.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if that's true, it's probably better to try him for third-degree. Because it's the jury that chooses his fate at the end of the day. If the sentence is higher, this broken system could give us another George Zimmerman case. It's fucked up, but I'd rather a higher chance of him being locked up instead of going scot free.