Awoo.

Police Brutality Thread

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

1 hour ago, nintega137 said:

Well when you really think about it, it's actually his fault for getting shot. Seriously what kind of idiot would lie down on the ground with their arms up when the police tell them too. Furthermore the police had every right to shoot that man. If he was taking care of people who had disabilities well then obviously he must have had a disability himself. He could've snapped any moment and pulled out a weapon or starting beating the living hell out of that cop and the cop would've been completely defenseless. And when the patient just sat there telling him to shut up, it doesn't matter if he was autistic, it was harassment. Besides the police were getting reports of an armed man trying to shoot himself. So naturally they'd want to save that person life. That's what good upholders of the law do. That's why they were so quick to the trigger, they had to save his life. The cop saying I don't know was obviously sarcasm. Even if it wasn't it was just an honest mistake and the man was doing his job. Nobodies perfect. I'm sure that if it was a mistake he feels terrible about it. We can let him off the hook right, everybody deserves a second chance right? Innocent until proven guilty? Honestly it's so dumb how every time one of these stories pops up we always blame the cops.

Honestly Dizcrybe you really need to check your privilege and do something about your racist attitudes and cop blaming mentality.  

My god...I can't. Just. LOL.

You know what's sad and still hilarious? That I'm certain that's precisely what other people will try to say about that as well. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh man, the new title of the thread reads like something out of GTA.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

My god...I can't. Just. LOL.

You know what's sad and still hilarious? That I'm certain that's precisely what other people will try to say about that as well. :lol:

I literally just thought of every single response I've heard to things like this from my right wing friends and just put it all down right there. 

8 minutes ago, PaddyFancy said:

But you still tell off Dizcrybr. I don't think it's so bloody funny.

He was being sarcastic.

• Thumbs Up 7

On 7/21/2016 at 8:43 AM, Dizcrybe said:

Oh yeah, this happened.

The real clincher? The guy asked the officer why he shot him. His response? "I don't know."

I dare someone to defend this.

Look, I hate all of the Brutality stories that come out. Its absolutely terrible that it keeps happening. But, this one? This is the one that pisses me off the most. I am PART of the Autistic Spectrum so I actually understand a bit of what issues the person would have and why they'd need a therapist for this. This is absolutely DISGUSTING. It was already bad with all the other stories, but now you have the issue with a MENTALLY CHALLENGED PERSON on top of it. Fuck this cop and I hope to GOD he gets fired and taken to fucking court and LOSES. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On July 21, 2016 at 7:43 AM, Dizcrybe said:

Oh yeah, this happened.

The real clincher? The guy asked the officer why he shot him. His response? "I don't know."

I dare someone to defend this.

He laid down when instructed... Exactly what the officer was expecting him to do! He could have been trying to lure the officer into a false sense of security. It's so risky to let yourself think someone might not be dangerous when they're lying on the ground unarmed with their hands rased several yards away from you. 

Ok but more seriously, this case seems almost mystifying, the only sense I can make of it is that there are multiple things at play here, a profound lack of training that he even brandished his gun in that situation, and the usual (ugh) racism angle. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welp a black woman was killed in her drive way in a stand-off.

I did however see a comment on tumblr that stuck out to me:

a2d4c0a2deb300d19fd47fae7c8e2045.png

To be honest I am questioning a little and I feel really bad. They say she was threatning them with a gun and they have to take it seriously but did they really have to shoot? Please help me and how can I stop second guessing? I don't want to be one of those (like most on twitter say) that I believe everything that fits my "agenda".

To be honest, I wouldn't call that one brutality. That one was a stressful choice and has happened plenty of times before. I wouldn't say the officer made the RIGHT choice per say, but neither side will really know what would happen if things went differently. I also don't like the fact she did have her own child in front of her. That's honestly plain wrong.

Basically, the fact that the woman had a weapon muddies the entire thing and doesn't exactly carry the same weight as previous cases before her.

The entire ordeal that has brought things to this point was that police were shooting unarmed people (predominantly African-Americans when recorded on video). And the word "unarmed" can't be emphasized enough because that has been the sticking point to the firestorm of debate - unarmed people are getting shot or killed for broken taillights, looking suspicious, having bad attitudes, simply running away and basically anything that has no reason for applying lethal force at all.

But when that person has a weapon and they actually aim that weapon at the police (meaning they were actually threatening them, not simply being an armed citizen with a liscense like a previous example in this topic), it's kinda hard to argue against the police on that one if you ask me.

Of course, there's also what Dizcrybe said - Tumblr comments are the same cesspool you'd find on Youtube, so don't that's not something to rely on.

• Thumbs Up 2

If the story as told is true, the police were in the right. They even exercised restraint: they would have grounds to shoot her the second the gun was pointed at them, but they allowed her to point it multiple times at them. It was only when she threatened to shoot that they shot her. It's a tragic end, but this is a case where the officers were in the right.

Now, if she had just had the weapon on her without pointing it at them, I would argue this was brutality.

Why?

Because the Bundys and their supporters had a ton of weapons on them, and the police in that ended up retreating rather than initiate a firefight. Those Indian folks giving an interview on the subject weren't wrong when they said that if non-whites did the same thing, they'd be suppressed like insurgents.

Now, there is something suspicious with this case. The woman was trying to livestream the event on Facebook. Police had her account deactivated for the duration of the standoff. Some suspect this was for malicious purposes, but the police felt livestreaming could harm negotiations. Apparently, some of her followers were encouraging her to be noncompliant.

This shit is really muddy sometimes. We'd benefit so much from nationwide body and gun cameras.

So what really happened? We're getting the usual case of police possibly lying, and on top of that there was a comparison between what the police did to Korryn and another woman who took a police cruiser on a joyride, tried to take the cops rifle...and still didn't get shot.

If AllLivesMatter, would it seriously kill the police to be consistent in their use of force?

• Thumbs Up 2

Given how casually a lot of police shoot people when provoked, I'd be inclined to believe the officers' side of the story.

I understand their story sounds fishy, but on the other hand, let's be honest, there is more than one or two vocally anti-cop people in this day of age. Whether their sentiments are justified or not, they've developed a nasty habit of voicing it in the wrong way. There's those who simply want more effective accountability, and then you have the half-wits who are advocating for armed resistance or all-out war.

On the other hand, after the bullshit in the Freddie Gray case, I wouldn't be surprised if cops around Baltimore are trying to make themselves seem more restrained regardless of if they actually are.

It would really help if we had the comments the police were talking about. If people were actually encouraging her to resist rather than surrender, they may have had justification in cutting the feed depending on how easily influenced she was... and given she decided to challenge them to an armed standoff, I'm willing to wager she wasn't right in the head (which in itself could explain any police restraint).

I can see the case for either side. It certainly increases the rationale for body cameras if nothing else. Facebook should act in good faith and show the supposed comments, though.

The police should be applying pressure to do so. It does not look good to suppress surveillance unless there's an immediate danger involved.

I'm a little too skeptical either way. If they wanted to show they were in the right, what the hell was the point in them trying to surpress Gaines's social media accounts? You'd think that would actually help their case if they were in the right and let people know that.

And it just comes off as excessive force to send in SWAT over traffic violations. That said, if she was somehow encouraged by her followers not to surrender...yeah, that's just stupid. This is SWAT - even if we're talking BlackLivesMatter, that's not a group you resist when they come knocking at your door, especially given the fad that is swatting over trivial shit like a online CS:GO match. And while that's not saying SWAT doesn't fuck up, unlike random cops that have gone around killing unarmed civilians, I'm pretty sure SWAT is more well trained over that kind of thing by comparison, so she should have complied.

14 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I'm a little too skeptical either way. If they wanted to show they were in the right, what the hell was the point in them trying to surpress Gaines's social media accounts? You'd think that would actually help their case if they were in the right and let people know that.

Let's think about this from another perspective though. She doesn't seem to have been right in her faculties, which means cutting her off from negative influences might have been the right call.

And it just comes off as excessive force to send in SWAT over traffic violations.

They didn't send in the SWAT because of traffic violations. The group of officers who first came in to arrest her found she was armed and a possible threat; the SWAT forces came in afterward. The SWAT was sent because she had a weapon as well as possible hostages.

That said, if she was somehow encouraged by her followers not to surrender...yeah, that's just stupid. This is SWAT - even if we're talking BlackLivesMatter, that's not a group you resist when they come knocking at your door, especially given the fad that is swatting over trivial shit like a online CS:GO match. And while that's not saying SWAT doesn't fuck up, unlike random cops that have gone around killing unarmed civilians, I'm pretty sure SWAT is more well trained over that kind of thing by comparison, so she should have complied.

I'm getting the feeling she wasn't of sound mind, though, which just makes this all the more tragic.

• 1 month later...

Friend sent me a video "discrediting" BLM.

Within 15 seconds, the guy in it mentioned "black on black crime."

I closed it immediately.

I'm glad I've learned to screen things before wasting too much time watching/reading them.

It really is an irritating strawman and misses the whole idea of the movement. It's like "why don't feminists focus on men's issues?!" Because there are other groups doing that.

In BLM's case, though, they're addressing racism as a whole beyond police brutality, which is indirectly to blame for a lot of that black on black crime, because racism plays a large hand in the cycle of poverty and crime.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.colorlines.com/articles/new-video-suggests-cop-intentionally-killed-black-man-planted-gun

Well this is interesting. If that's the case and he gets away, just gonna prove even more hoe broken the system is.

Some other news I read was that another cop killed a black man, but we aren't sure what happened yet. Some say he had a book in his hand, others say it was a gun. The officer was black.

A black chief of police is sueing BLM and speaking for "whites, Jews, etc."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/09/21/black-dallas-police-officer-sues-black-lives-matter-on-behalf-of-christians-jews-and-caucasians-others/

And last

http://www.inquisitr.com/3515092/white-police-officer-loses-his-job-for-not-shooting-a-black-man/

the guy still defends the two cops and say they weren't wrong to kill the guy since he was "waving the gun around" and that they didn't know the full story. Even when against the killing it's like he instinctively jumps to the cops defense. 

"White police officer loses his job for not shooting a black man"

And said black man was actually trying to get himself killed. And given the other details, no one else was in danger.

I'm sorry, but if that doesn't raise any alarms to anyone, you need your head checked because there is no way to argue against this cop for refusing to shoot and instead holding him off. And I say this as someone who also wouldn't have thought it was wrong to shoot given the guy was armed - suicide by cop isn't right, but it's not always easy to tell between someone who actually is threatening others. Even then, they aren't suppose to just rush in and cap the guy if they can avoid it.

• Thumbs Up 4

The grounds the two cops stand on as justification is just bs in my eyes. How many suicide situations where the guy has a gun result in the cops going straight to the offensive? Almost none. Now they may not have known, but the excuse of him "waving the gun around" still isn't reason enough to shoot. You're trained to look at situations that don't result in shots. The last thing that you should consider as a cop is shooting someone. it shouldn't be the first instinct cause "BLACK GUY HAS A GUN!"

People are going to call any standard instance of police misconduct some kind of anomaly on either the basis of they haven't seen it because their cops are good people, or because they believe in a just world and thus the guy who got killed obviously deserved it. Innumerable anecdotes of aggression, falsification of evidence, and neglect in prisons, investigations turning up racial profiling, statistical data of arrests and convictions mismatching the data of crimes committed by worrying margins; this stuff is out there for anyone to read. It's just willful ignorance at this point.

As for that black police chief:

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/09/21/charlotte-police-man-killed-officers-holding-gun-not-book/90774106/

What were once relatively peaceful protests against brutality in Charlotte seem to have gotten fairly violent, and a state of emergency declared as a result. Many of the attacks are against police, but many are against civilians and their property as well. The city's transit network has ground to a halt as a result of the violence. Even the NAACP has come out to condemn the protesters turned rioters. We might actually have a case where the violent demonstrators outnumber the peaceful ones.

Naturally, it's being seized on as damning evidence against the whole movement. Because, you know, the Civil Rights movement was 100% pacifist.

The price of being a mass movement is idiots will inevitably make themselves known. It doesn't discredit the whole thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya know what bugs me a little more about this. My friend just shared this video.

Of course I have no problem with a guy preaching about love and peace and hugging cops and whatever else. They are ideas I believe in too. My problem with this, though is that he's doing it while telling protesters to protest peacefully, which again is technically all fine and good I guess, but when he starts going on and on about, did this cop kill anybody, or not all cops are bad, I see us all as human beings and what not. It sounds all well and good in theory, but in practice it basically tells me that he's completely missing the point. Of course now people are mad at the protesters for irrationally criticizing a man for giving hugs to police officer.