Awoo.

Police Brutality Thread

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

He resorted to black on black crime eventually and said that the issues lie in black people and that there's no systematic racism as white people can still be negatively effected.

Did you ask him how white people could possibly be effected by what happened in Minneapolis, for example?

He essentially stopped responding once some friends jumped in to help my side out lol.

Anyway, so a BLM protest went on here in Portland yesterday, and of course the every popular "it's inconvenient they need to take it somewhere else" complaints and justifications came up. You know, the point of a protest is to be heard and paid attention to right. Can't exactly do that if you're somewhere where people can walk by and ignore you sometimes, especially in this day, where many don't want to associate themselves with "controversial touchy" subjects. People seem to forget to bring up the protests that have gone throughout history that have inconvenienced some for the greater good. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, KHCast said:

You know, the point of a protest is to be heard and paid attention to right. Can't exactly do that if you're somewhere where people can walk by and ignore you sometimes

That's the point. They don't want to hear disgruntled black people demanding for a equality/a better life. The precise reason they want them to "take it somewhere else" is so they can easily ignore them.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it's perfectly valid for a person in a privileged group to be concerned with issues facing them (a man could absolutely show concern with issues facing men, for example, without being dismissive of women's issues).

On the other hand, I think it's the ultimate dick move to be so concerned with your issues you dismiss everyone else's, especially when the severity gap between those issues grows extremely wide.

Yes, you are inconvenienced. What a tragedy when others have to face systematic discrimination and the risk of unjust death every single day. This is where "first world problems" is a legitimate concern. This problem would literally go away if steps were taken to address the underlying issues.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah see I can understand being upset that you may be late to work, but to act like you're inconvenience is just as much a problem as the point of the protests is kinda ridiculous. Nevermind many minorities are inconvenienced on a daily basis, so it puts you in their shoes for a moment. I mean we see this kind of thing all the time. For example people protest how certain things we do are killing the planet, the point is completely ignored, and all people think is "great, now I'm gonna be late getting home". 

• 2 months later...

Pew Research Center has released a research poll involving almost 8000 officers at medium to large departments about the facets of their job, including race relations. Surprise surprise, the race relations parts are pretty terrible.

PSDT_01.11.17.police-00-11.png

1ekc.png

Sdkc.png

kekc.png

wekc.png

Basically what most of us expected, except now statistically recorded from the horse's mouth.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

https://mic.com/articles/171540/tennessee-man-rodney-james-hess-shot-and-killed-by-police-on-facebook-live#.5NP8Q8suf

Rodney Hess was shot dead after allegedly trying to run officers over with his vehicle.

The catch? He was recording the whole thing via livestream. The footage shows him, stationary in his vehicle, asking for higher officers to come out, before the police open fire. The terrified screaming and driving off that ensues paint the story in a different light.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is looking into the event to see if the deputies' shooting was justified, though from the recorded footage alone, it's not looking too good for the officers.

Based on supplementary videos and the family's own statements, he appeared to have had serious mental illness. Even if he was posing a legitimate threat that caused the shooting, questions are raised about police responses to such individuals, whether or not someone with his condition should be allowed to drive in the first place, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, turns out Ferguson police withheld a second video tape in the Michael Brown case that shows he might not have actually robbed the store (not like it mattered because Wilson didn't know about any report of a robbery when he stopped him in the first place.)

Police withholding information to paint a narrative? WELL I NEVER.

• Thumbs Up 6

35 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Also, turns out Ferguson police withheld a second video tape in the Michael Brown case that shows he might not have actually robbed the store (not like it mattered because Wilson didn't know about any report of a robbery when he stopped him in the first place.)

Police withholding information to paint a narrative? WELL I NEVER.

Now the question is how many people will continue to use the federal finding Wilson was justified in his shooting as an excuse to just sweep everything else found wrong with the Ferguson PD under the rug.

It's okay for police to be overly dramatic in testimony and actively withhold information so long as they were justified in the end, right? RIGHT?

Why is it so hard to fathom a world where it's possible for both sides to have done something wrong? Or that being more in the wrong or in the wrong to begin with isn't a valid excuse for a homicide?

19 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

The white supremacists fear they will be unfairly discriminated against. 

I'll repeat this as many times as is necessary before the irony finally sinks in. 

3 minutes ago, nintega137 said:

I'll repeat this as many times as is necessary before the irony finally sinks in. 

I have only one thing to say in response to the supremacists:

Quit your whining bro. You reap what you sow.

White Supremacists fear they will be unfairly discrimibated against...in complete disregard of the fact that they've done that shit themselves to other enthic groups they don't like throughout history.

I say serves them right if it happens.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, the irony is so satisfying, especially because they're totally blind that they've been doing that for like ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to guess these are the soft supremacists. They love the idea of making non-whites second class, but actual violence and murder make them uneasy.

It's a cliche, but this is how a lot of the anti-Semitism in pre-Nazi Germany was. Many Germans got on board with the idea of marginalizing the Jews, taking their wealth, etc. but suddenly got cold feet when actual genocide was in play.

Unfortunately, even if you don't desire any violence, a supremacist doctrine will inevitably cause it. Jim Crow is a great example. Not only was the government packed with supremacists who sent countless blacks to needless deaths and sentences, but supremacist police forces turned blind eyes to angry white mobs lynching blacks the moment an accusation dropped. Even if a racist does not personally condone violence, their support and/or enabling of a racist system will inevitably lead to more of it.

Consider how effectively the free press is silenced in places like Russia not because of the government ordering assassinations, but because of how often a blind eye is turned to murders of reporters, effectively making it legal. A supremacist order will inevitably be violent because the "blind eye" will inevitably be part of the day to day proceedings of government.

I'm going to guess many supremacists want to have their cake and eat it too. But the fact is you are indirectly responsible for violence if your behavior enables it. You cannot be both a supremacist and a good, peaceful person, as supremacy inevitably undermines peace.

• Thumbs Up 7

• 1 month later...

https://www.facebook.com/shaunking/videos/1392452044127043/

graphic material if you don't want to watch. This is just disgusting. And somehow, there are people on his side, and people saying it has nothing to do with racism. Which, okay, we don't atm the intent and full story, but like, 1. This is the south and 2. Anyone can make up some bs justification story to make them sound not racist. But I digress. At least people mostly are coming to the conclusion that this was brutality 

• 1 month later...

http://www.theroot.com/pregnant-seattle-woman-calls-police-ends-up-dead-1796214185?utm_source=theroot_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Recorded audio of a pregnant woman shot in front of her children by police has been released by the relevant police station.

The woman seems to have had a history of mental health problems, and apparently was well-known by police. One officer in the audio confirms she has a "safety precaution" on her in response to her mental health, which presumably means they know she's not all there.

The audio seems calm as she lists things stolen in a suspected burglary, before the police yell for her to step back and shots break out. The police say she pulled a knife on them.

The release of the audio seems like a good faith gesture by the police, but a tragedy like this really highlights the merits of having officers who can respond to mentally unstable people.

• Thumbs Up 1

That and shooting a pregnant woman regardless doesn't look good no matter what way you try to spin it.

Mental health or no, I'd wager a more cynical view that they released the audio because not doing so would have cemented any negative air around the police even more than any else has so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been updated given the recent news of this that has gone viral:

Yoga instructor who called 911 killed in Minneapolis Police shooting

MINNEAPOLIS -- A woman shot and killed by Minneapolis police had called 911 to report a possible crime near her home, a source who knew her said.

Justine Ruszczyk called 911 on Saturday night because she thought a sexual assault might be taking place in a back alley near her home, the source said.

But after Minneapolis police arrived, an officer shot and killed Ruszczyk.

Police still haven't explain how, or why.

[link]

tenor.gif

Like, I...I just can't...like forreal?

I'm not gonna lie, I having some really dark thoughts toward the officer who murdered this woman, because that has to be THE most uncalled for shit that has happened since this whole issue with police brutality against minorities have become a thing.

Oh and for the record, it's a white woman this time, who happened to suffer a fatal case of what said minority groups walk in fear of. 

Blue Lives Matter, huh? I wonder if this is finally going to get people to do something now? (probably not)

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 months later...

So in lue of the NFL stuff going on I feel it's best to bring this discussion topic back to life since the protest is specifically in regards to police brutality against blacks and minorities, and other injustices. 

Can someone tell me the validity or how much it effects the points people make about discrimination, when whites say "well whites are shot more and killed by whites than blacks"? Like I don't see how that really changes much, as minorities are still incarcerated more, and tried for harsher sentences for the same crimes as whites. plus, how many of those whites are shot or arrested specifically because of their skin color? A lot of the defenses from republicans I'm seeing just seem so pointless and hypocritical. The fact that I've only see whites lament anger or confusion on why people were protesting or why the issues have to do with race isn't exactly helping.(and I'm disgusted by vets kneeling with the black athletes being called "traitors" or "not true Americans" for defending the rights they fought to allow. Jesus were not in North Korea, telling people to stand and not express their beliefs in my fashion is what's un-American)

• The title was changed to Police Brutality Thread
12 hours ago, KHCast said:

So in lue of the NFL stuff going on I feel it's best to bring this discussion topic back to life since the protest is specifically in regards to police brutality against blacks and minorities, and other injustices. 

Can someone tell me the validity or how much it effects the points people make about discrimination, when whites say "well whites are shot more and killed by whites than blacks"? Like I don't see how that really changes much, as minorities are still incarcerated more, and tried for harsher sentences for the same crimes as whites. plus, how many of those whites are shot or arrested specifically because of their skin color? A lot of the defenses from republicans I'm seeing just seem so pointless and hypocritical. The fact that I've only see whites lament anger or confusion on why people were protesting or why the issues have to do with race isn't exactly helping.(and I'm disgusted by vets kneeling with the black athletes being called "traitors" or "not true Americans" for defending the rights they fought to allow. Jesus were not in North Korea, telling people to stand and not express their beliefs in my fashion is what's un-American)

The way these people act, A North Korean style government with Whites at the top is probably their version of heaven, never mind the fact that THEY would be just as oppressed as everyone else because the rich elite only sees them as a means to an end.

15 hours ago, KHCast said:

It really is people missing the point.

The point isn't whether or not whites or blacks are killed more in aggregate terms (whites of course lead in aggregate terms, because they are the majority). The point is that statistically, blacks get killed by whites more than whites get killed by blacks, or that blacks get killed at a higher rate. And that even if the rates were equal, blacks get more arrests and harsher sentencing. It's a lack of seeing the bigger picture. What's funny is this is the exact topic addressed in the Brown v. Board decision: the Supreme Court acknowledged that the black-only school in the case was actually on par with white schools. But the bigger picture was that not all schools had this same luck, and that even if they were still equal, segregation nurtured a mentality of being inferior. So segregation had to go. Same concept here; it doesn't matter if police shootings were completely unbiased, because there's still so much wrong with the wider justice system.

And of course, since the media is more likely to report a case of blacks getting killed by whites than vice versa, the "ohmagerd whites are the real victims" card gets played. No, it's that the media has a thirst for drama and should in no way, shape, or form be considered an arbiter of objectivity and progressivism. If there's one thing Trump is half right on, it's that the media indeed cannot be trusted. Not because it's fake, but because it misrepresents the truth for the sake of ratings. The media that may gloss over when whites are victims of brutality is the same media that overreports on crimes committed by blacks, reinforcing the perception of black criminality. In the end, most media outlets simply decided that brutality against blacks makes for better controversy and ratings, so that's what they are more likely to cover. They're not "left" or "anti-white," they're capitalists doing what capitalists do: playing everyone else against each other for profit margins.

• Thumbs Up 1

No really, when and how? White people clearly have a solution and aren't just saying this every time a black person has a issue with society because they're racist and uncomfortable looking these issues in the face. 

Also interesting to know it was a Vet that told Kap to kneel.

• Thumbs Up 2