Awoo.

Police Brutality Thread

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

You know it’s fucking bad when the cast of Sesame Street needs to step in and tell us “racism is fucking bad we need to stop this”

I love how Johnny boy here is painting this as a negative and bad for morale. Those cops leaving probably are feeling a fuck ton better being out of a shitty institution, especially when it’s the NYPD

Also 

yeah no this guy should be far from these protest. 

edit: so 57 cops will quit their job in protest of 2 cops /suspended/ for assaulting 70+ year old protestor, but won’t resign in response to proven institutionalized racism within their job.  “Good cops” huh 

This whole situation has gotten out of control.  What happened to George Floyd is NOT justified and those involved deserve whatever happens to them but it DOES NOT justify these riots happening all over the place.   The destruction that is happening to all the various small businesses who've had their lives turned upside down by the coronavirus lockdowns was enough.  Now,  they also have to deal with broken windows and stolen products.  On top of that, there's parties supporting the complete disbanding of the police.  I'm not fond of being pulled over but that is crazy talk.  Reduce the force, take out the bad apples but abolishing police altogether in some areas would only lead to more anarchy and trouble that we don't need in the world.  Everyone needs to calm down.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

On top of that, there's parties supporting the complete disbanding of the police.  

So, I don't think this means what a lot of people think it means.

Other US cities have "disbanded the police" before. Minneapolis isn't the first. What this meant in practice was that the city police force was dismantled, and either replaced by a new one from the ground up, or policing duties were taken over by the county, such as in Camden, New Jersey.

I am certain Minneapolis will have law enforcement presence in the future, it just won't be the current city police department.

1 hour ago, SatAMhog said:

but it DOES NOT justify these riots happening all over the place

Someone hasn’t read up on the history of riots/protests. They actually tend to be quite effective hence why to this day they’re effectively used to make change fucking happen 

8 hours ago, KHCast said:

Someone hasn’t read up on the history of riots/protests. They actually tend to be quite effective hence why to this day they’re effectively used to make change fucking happen 

Destroying people's businesses, stealing and blowing stuff up is NEVER justified just to make change happen, no matter how you spin it.  All of this was unnecessary and could've been done without all the carnage and you know that.  I'll never support theft or arson in any form against people who had nothing to do with what happened to Mr. Floyd.  That is just pure lunacy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope you realize the the civil rights legislation didn’t happen until 6 days of continuous rioting that occurred AFTER MLK was killed. Was the civil rights movement wrong and unjustifiable then?

Hell, lets not even bring up stonewall which was essentially nothing but rioting.

Or how about the Berlin Wall? Or to be a bit more modern, the riots in Egypt, France and Hong Kong in response to corrupt/inept governments that treat their people like shit.

riots are not a black and white “oh it’s just people making excuses to steal” that’s the privileged way of looking at anything other than a “peaceful protest” because it inconveniences people as it can’t just be ignored. There’s a lot more to them that you’re underplaying, and you’re refusing to acknowledge that they DO often bring changes when effectively done.

11 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

On top of that, there's parties supporting the complete disbanding of the police.  I'm not fond of being pulled over but that is crazy talk.  Reduce the force, take out the bad apples but abolishing police altogether in some areas would only lead to more anarchy and trouble that we don't need in the world. 

I actually agree with abolishing the police. The entire system was built under racist pretenses. No amount of reformation is going to change that. As for the bad apples, that's pretty much the entire police force under principal. They are either causing the corruption, or are complicit with the corruption by not doing anything about it. You wanna know what happens to the few non-bad apple police officers that stand up to the injustice caused by their force?

They get sacked.

They get arrested. 

Does this mean we'll have NO law enforcement and we'll turn into an anarchy? Of course not. We'll build a new one from scratch without the racism. But we have to take down what came before to do that.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, KHCast said:

I hope you realize the the civil rights legislation didn’t happen until 6 days of continuous rioting that occurred AFTER MLK was killed. Was the civil rights movement wrong and unjustifiable then?

Hell, lets not even bring up stonewall which was essentially nothing but rioting.
Or how about the Berlin Wall? Or to be a bit more modern, the riots in Egypt, France and Hong Kong in response to corrupt/inept governments that treat their people like shit.

Riots are not a black and white “oh it’s just people making excuses to steal” that’s the privileged way of looking at anything other than a “peaceful protest” because it inconveniences people as it can’t just be ignored. There’s a lot more to them that you’re underplaying, and you’re refusing to acknowledge that they DO often bring changes when effectively done.

So, I'm privileged if my stuff is stolen, I'm beat up or my small business is broken into and all my money is stolen in the name of some high ideal...that's okay to you?  It's okay for people who had NOTHING TO DO with George Floyd's death to be caught in the crossfire of some crusade against injustice?  It's OKAY for them to be hurt, stolen from and have all their hard work RUINED?  Let's be clear...there's a difference between riots and protests.  A LOT of the rioters are just taking advantage of the situation to steal, hurt or outright hurt people of all creeds.  This doesn't help the black community or any community.  It's just making a situation that was already tense WORSE and creating more social divides.  So NO, I'm not going to support rioters who want to cause pain to others in the name of so-called justice.  I support protestors with common sense who don't hurt others who want real change.  I will NEVER support riots that hurt innocent people, even if they result in change.  Hurting others, stealing and arson in response to someone being hurt is not the right response and never will be.

Everything you cited(Civil Rights Legislation, Stonewall, Berlin Wall, Egypt, France and Hong Kong)...the people were right to protest their government(especially Hong Kong...what China is doing is beyond not cool for individual rights) but the point is the people who make their protests LOOK BAD(IE THE RIOTERS who blow stuff up, set fires, break windows, steal, etc.) and turn people off.  These riots cannot be compared to what happened to George Floyd.  A lot of the riots have nothing to do with George Floyd at this point.  It's nothing but random chaos just for chaos' sake.   What happened to George Floyd is wrong, there is no question about that.  The police involved in that incident deserve whatever happens to them...no one will miss them.  Honestly though, to support these riots and say the theft, arson and destruction of small businesses already hurt by COVID-19 is justified is not right and never will be.

9 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I actually agree with abolishing the police. The entire system was built under racist pretenses. No amount of reformation is going to change that. As for the bad apples, that's pretty much the entire police force under principal. They are either causing the corruption, or are complicit with the corruption by not doing anything about it. You wanna know what happens to the few non-bad apple police officers that stand up to the injustice caused by their force?

They get sacked.

They get arrested. 

Does this mean we'll have NO law enforcement and we'll turn into an anarchy? Of course not. We'll build a new one from scratch without the racism. But we have to take down what came before to do that.

We can't just assume the entire police force is corrupt by default.  Police are human beings too and they deserve the benefit of the doubt just like anyone else.  By the way, how was the entire system built under racist pretenses?  The laws that police enforce are for all Americans, regardless of race.  Sure, it can appear that way sometimes but c'mon, the system itself applies to everybody.  I honestly do not understand how people can just make these accusations against ALL police...that's big time stereotyping which is something I thought we were fighting against?  How are we supposed to go forward as a country if we take place in the same behavior that you accuse police of?  Aren't we supposed to be better than this?

1 hour ago, SatAMhog said:

Everything you cited(Civil Rights Legislation, Stonewall, Berlin Wall, Egypt, France and Hong Kong)...the people were right to protest their government

You literally must not have ever read a history book if you think they were just peacefully protesting lol. 

you keep conflating rioting with a negative bad thing that’s /never/ justified(even tho you go on to say “well it’s okay when people did it those times you mentioned”), when hilariously rioting is literally more than that. Come back to me when you gain a broader perspective on the concept of a riot outside “ohh stealing and breaking innocent people’s stuffs these people aren’t doing it for Floyd they just wanna cause havoc”(may I also point out anyway the people mostly doing the stealing and destroying of innocent people’s shit have been identified white people, undercover cops, alt righters, etc. not black people, but don’t let that stop you)

Also let’s cut the #bluelives rhetoric out. Cops are not being persecuted, and it’s not “reverse racism” that makes the black community look hypocritical . They (the “good cops”) can quit their job if they don’t like the fact that their complacency with regards to the thousands of documented cases of corruption within that institution that go all the way to the top is being called out. Don’t try equating how they’re being treated to how marginalized people are treated and stereotyped. 

The thing worse than rebellion is the thing that causes rebellion.” Frederick Douglas

• Thumbs Up 1

Seattle’s city hall right now is jaw droppingly packed 

People are not gonna let their voices go unheard 

• Thumbs Up 1

https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759

Confession from a former cop on how much of a bastard they all really are, and the systemic problems that allow them to fester and exist.

So what do we do about it? Even though I’m an expert on bastardism, I am not a public policy expert nor an expert in organizing a post-police society. So, before I give some suggestions, let me tell you what probably won’t solve the problem of bastard cops:

• Increased “bias” training. A quarterly or even monthly training session is not capable of covering over years of trauma-based camaraderie in police forces. I can tell you from experience, we don’t take it seriously, the proctors let us cheat on whatever “tests” there are, and we all made fun of it later over coffee.
  • Tougher laws. I hope you understand by now, cops do not follow the law and will not hold each other accountable to the law. Tougher laws are all the more reason to circle the wagons and protect your brothers and sisters.
  • More community policing programs. Yes, there is a marginal effect when a few cops get to know members of the community, but look at the protests of 2020: many of the cops pepper-spraying journalists were probably the nice school cop a month ago.

Police officers do not protect and serve people, they protect and serve the status quo, “polite society”, and private property. Using the incremental mechanisms of the status quo will never reform the police because the status quo relies on police violence to exist. Capitalism requires a permanent underclass to exploit for cheap labor and it requires the cops to bring that underclass to heel.

Instead of wasting time with minor tweaks, I recommend exploring the following ideas:

• No more qualified immunity. Police officers should be personally liable for all decisions they make in the line of duty.
  • No more civil asset forfeiture. Did you know that every year, citizens like you lose more cash and property to unaccountable civil asset forfeiture than to all burglaries combined? The police can steal your stuff without charging you with a crime and it makes some police departments very rich.
  • Break the power of police unions. Police unions make it nearly impossible to fire bad cops and incentivize protecting them to protect the power of the union. A police union is not a labor union; police officers are powerful state agents, not exploited workers.
  • Require malpractice insurance. Doctors must pay for insurance in case they botch a surgery, police officers should do the same for botching a police raid or other use of force. If human decency won’t motivate police to respect human life, perhaps hitting their wallet might.
  • Defund, demilitarize, and disarm cops. Thousands of police departments own assault rifles, armored personnel carriers, and stuff you’d see in a warzone. Police officers have grants and huge budgets to spend on guns, ammo, body armor, and combat training. 99% of calls for service require no armed response, yet when all you have is a gun, every problem feels like target practice. Cities are not safer when unaccountable bullies have a monopoly on state violence and the equipment to execute that monopoly.

One final idea: consider abolishing the police.

• Thumbs Up 1

This definitely is a coincidence guys

(There’s some uncomfortable video in the tweet chain he posts of the actual shooting provided via a doorbell can just letting you know)

Also yeah I know it’s the LASP (the sherif department) but like...okay? Different name, same toilet. They both stem from the same industry systematic racism and all. Sheriff departments from what I’m told are actually /worse/. Arpaio from what I recall was a sheriff wasn’t he?

Couple stories today 

Cops vandalizing and degrading a the grave of a black man who they murdered, and this is seemingly tradition for them 

ANOTHER fucking black man found dead hanging from a tree and the Long Island Police are already deeming it a suicide.

Cop off duty letting power go to his head. Should note he’s been put on administrative leave atm, and he’s being investigated, but this fucker needs to be fired. No if ands or buts about it 

• 5 months later...

No more police. We need a civilian law enforcement team. We do not need police.

Sonic Adventure 2 really aged as a great commentary on militarized police forces. Escape from the city, escape from metal harbor... ya ya

4 hours ago, KnuxDLX said:

No more police. We need a civilian law enforcement team. We do not need police.

The police are a civilian law enforcement team.

Right now they just have too many of them drunk on power thinking they’re free of the consequences of their actions.

What we need is reform, not a dismantling of the police.

Just gonna say, “defund the police”. 

Fuck whatever Establishment Dems are saying. The “slogan” was never meant to be a democrat advertisement. And it clearly wasn’t the main issue since for awhile now we were saying “give them less money” only for excuses to crop about why they couldn’t. I mean...god damn, New York’s police budget alone is something to behold. Just cut the budget already and redistribute that shit to areas that are severally needing it more. Also

4 hours ago, KnuxDLX said:

Sonic Adventure 2 really aged as a great commentary on militarized police forces. Escape from the city, escape from metal harbor... ya ya

Can we please not? Like...no?

• Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, KHCast said:

Can we please not? Like...no?

I get ya, but... a lot of media did. Not just Sonic but I've seen others pointing it out.

A lot of media did what? Make commentary about militarized police forces before they became a commonplace sight? Every podunk town with more cows than people didn't start getting AR15s and decommissioned Army equipment and piles of federal funding to vaguely fight TERROR until after 9/11.

Sonic Adventure 2, a game that prominently features a fictionalized UN peacekeeping force (meaning not police) that had so much thought put into it's real life allegorical comparisons that they fly prisoners around in Soviet attack helicopters, does not feature a critique on a militarized police force. Maybe you could argue it was some kind of nebulous US policy stand-in since the main government in the series is basically the US, but it was about ten years too late/2 years too early for it to really fit as a Team America style pastiche either. Sonic Adventure 2, a game that came out in June of 2001, also notably preceded 9/11.

This take is even worse than what Tristan did a few months ago. It's as bad a take about real life politics as when someone on this forum claimed that Shadow's experiences in the series is similar to that of minorities in the US and thus if you don't like him you're racist.

• Absolutely 3

46 minutes ago, Tornado said:

This take is even worse than what Tristan did a few months ago.

Okay, now you've piqued my curiosity.