Awoo.

[Artwork] DanJ86 and his place for fun and smiles

Danj86

Heh, I'd forgotten how good it feels to know that my drawings are enjoyed and appreciated. I've been showing my art to a much smaller group of people over the last several months, it's like starting over again due to me not knowing many people and not being very outgoing. While coming back here, people are already familiar with me and my work and the response was surprisingly fast. It makes me happy, but kinda brings it home that perhaps I really was missed and I feel heavy guilt for that. I didn't want to make a fuss at the time though...

Anyway, moving ahead, a reminder of the 100 Theme Challenge list I picked.

100 Themes Challenge - Variation 1

1. Introduction
2. Love
3. Light
4. Dark
5. Seeking Solace
6. Break Away
7. Heaven
8. Innocence
9. Drive
10. Breathe Again
11. Memory
12. Insanity
13. Misfortune
14. Smile
15. Silence
16. Questioning
17. Blood
18. Rainbow
19. Gray
20. Fortitude
21. Vacation
22. Mother Nature
23. Cat
24. No Time
25. Trouble Lurking
26. Tears
27. Foreign
28. Sorrow  Persona 4 Arena
29. Happiness
30. Under the Rain
31. Flowers
32. Night
33. Expectations
34. Stars
35. Hold My Hand
36. Precious Treasure
37. Eyes
38. Abandoned
39. Dreams
40. Rated
41. Teamwork
42. Standing Still
43. Dying
44. Two Roads
45. Illusion
46. Family
47. Creation
48. Childhood
49. Stripes
50. Breaking the Rules
51. Sport
52. Deep in Thought
53. Keeping a Secret
54. Tower
55. Waiting
56. Danger Ahead
57. Sacrifice
58. Kick in the Head
59. No Way Out
60. Rejection
61. Fairy Tale
62. Magic
63. Do Not Disturb
64. Multitasking
65. Horror
66. Traps
67. Playing the Melody
68. Hero
69. Annoyance
70. 67%
71. Obsession
72. Mischief Managed
73. I Can't
74. Are You Challenging Me?
75. Mirror
76. Broken Pieces
77. Test
78. Drink
79. Starvation
80. Words
81. Pen and Paper
82. Can You Hear Me?
83. Heal
84. Out Cold
85. Spiral
86. Seeing Red
87. Food
88. Pain
89. Through the Fire
90. Triangle
91. Drowning  Sonic The Hedgehog
92. All That I Have  Project Diva
93. Give Up
94. Last Hope
95. Advertisement
96. In the Storm
97. Safety First
98. Puzzle
99. Solitude
100. Relaxation

At first I wrote down what franchise I felt best suited a specific theme. But being behind on playing new games, reading new manga, watching new shows, that I felt leaving them blank would be better. For example I thought Triangle would fit with School Rumble and the whole love triangle situation that the series comically does was ideal. Then I finally got around to playing Catherine and suddenly an even more crazier love triangle became an inspiration.

The first two pictures appeared in my original art thread that I think is no longer there due to the wipe. Each entry also comes with an alternate version. Official logos and text displaying the theme and number appear in the alternates. I added the official logos as a means to aid those who aren't familiar with that franchise to identify it easier if they wished to learn more about it.

91: Drowning - (with water filter) Sonic The Hedgehog

11666048_1611817845754815_42523845370761

(without filter)

11659464_1611817875754812_12266503169101

Logo

11403045_1611816912421575_62609184952016

The water effect didn't really turn out the way I intended and neither did the bubbles, plus the background was crudely done and lacking something...the round shadow doesn't fit either...but despite it's faults I didn't want to change it as it represents my first attempt at putting more focus on background. It's not going to be smooth sailing and I wish to learn from past mistakes.

92: All That I Have - Project Diva

11707543_1611817909088142_36993000114646

Logo

11701037_1611816939088239_60608486540486

I wanted to add more lighting effects but couldn't really workout the best way to make them, while the monitor was improvised. I must have done something right as it won third place in an art contest. If your bored you can take a closer look at the backgrounds of each 100 themed picture, my name is hidden and only slightly visible in various different locations, did you see them both?

28: Sorrow - Persona 4 Arena

11539594_1611817819088151_82084339049785

Logo

11698820_1611816885754911_66965083920409

I worked on this one for months. It's the first that incorporates what I've learned so far from the Andrew Loomis book that covers both anatomy and perspective. It might also be the first that doesn't follow the typical happy colourful pictures I tend to stick to drawing. It covers the backstory of the featured character, Labrys. And there was limited references of her without the Yaso High uniform she tends to wear, so I had to improvise some parts. Many mistakes were made in making this picture, the pencil sketch didn't fit the perspective of the character and had to be changed completely on photoshop.

Well, that's it for now. It's getting late and I should be sawing logs. Take care of yourselves. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 months later...

Wow this place is dusty. *cough*

I've not been drawing much recently, so there isn't much I could update. I have been working with materials I haven't used before to make brand new things. I can't remember if any appeared in my original topic, but years ago I would work with a material called Plasticine. It's a clay like modelling material that is most famously used in stop-motion animation. It always stayed soft and I would make character models with them, but since they remained soft, they eventually would fall apart.

A clever chap I've been working with, told me about a material called Fimo, which as it turned out, feels and performs just like Plasticine except of one major difference. It hardens when baked. So I got some and the batch I purchased also came with a colour that glows in the dark. So, I wanted make a test model...somebody simple, who could glow in the dark...hmm...

5jGFREj.jpg

Did-Did you all see what I just did??

Oh no! It's a g-g-ghost!!!

gV40W8X.jpg

And he's solid, I tested it...accidentally. I was showing it to Keith, the man that told me about Fimo. He did the universal gesture of throw it and I'll catch it. Basically, I threw him too high so it got nowhere near him and crashed on a table and bounced on a tiled floor. Proving that he is a ghost and can't die, he didn't even get a scratch.

Name: Boo

Edited by DanielJ86
  • Thumbs Up 5

• 1 month later...

I wasn't going to put this in here at first, but I've not really given it a proper description yet. I always like to share my thought process and any and all bonus info surrounding a picture or random thing I make.

sF5wN3D.png

Giftart and also fanart of fanfiction. The Blue Blur of Termina written by Komodin.

It's a Sonic The Hedgehog and The Legend of Zelda crossover, but more specifically, a game from that series called Majora's Mask. Known by fans to be a pretty dark story compared to other Zelda titles. This picture was me recreating a picture on the cover of the Majora's Mask box of the 3DS version. Box art

I intended to add more characters, but if you've been keeping track of my movements over the past month, you'd know I got the flu and this was intended to be a gift for the Christmas holidays. It bugged me that I was behind schedule and I didn't want him waiting too long. Although I probably would've added Tingle, Anju, Kafei, a bomber kid or two and Fierce Deity Sonic. After them I wouldn't be sure who to add next... ^^;

The Happy Mask Salesman and the Great Fairy was added very last minute so as a result, the poses aren't original and there is a part of the picture I didn't draw. An actual image of the Majora Mask has been added in the background as a ghostly entity, I wanted the eyes to be visible but not distract from the characters.

I'm still happy with the final result though. One major difference that BBoT had that Majora's Mask didn't is the appearance of the characters Tatl and Teal. In the game they are a ball of light with wings while in the fanfiction they are humanoid elf type characters. I have drawn directly from a persons imagination a couple of times before, but that's usually a very trail and error process while working closely with the person who created them. I chose to do this in secret so working with Komodin wasn't going to fly, I also needed to design concepts for Sonic as a Goron and a Zora as his story is still incomplete and hasn't got that far. I wanted a second opinion in working on designs and Sean volunteered. :)

I needed as much information as possible for these designs and found some extra info at TVtropes. Tropes Used and Characters.

The designs are pretty rough looking and I splashed colours randomly on them just to see what worked and what didn't. Here is the full collection.

Deku Scrub Sonic It's not present in this version but I originally drew his eyes as one long connection, kinda like the white part of Sonics eyes that are so easily identifiable. It made him look a little robotic though, I kinda liked it but tried the typical round eyes anyway and it made him look...sadder, more tragic I guess. It seemed to fit better. Also I felt his chest looked a little barren so I added his Boom scarf, but I don't know why...

Goron Sonic Nope, some people will have no problem doing it and since he is a mammal he would have them, but I just couldn't. It felt too weird to me to draw Sonic with nipples and a navel!! I used the Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask manga to help with these designs and Darmani (The character that fuses with Link/Sonic to get the Goron powers in the story.) has hair that is pretty similar in shape to Shadow and his spikes, I was very aware that I might accidentally make Goron Shadow instead of Goron Sonic on this one.

Zora Sonic It was a little surreal designing a Zora Sonic. His famous weakness is his inability to swim and making a design based on the very need to swim? Heh, weird right? I considered removing his ears but would that make him look a little...Knuckles-y? I chose to fold them back like fins to see what that would look like first. Then I noticed that a Zora doesn't have a tail, looking at my other designs, I made the conscious decision to always keep his tail in whatever form he took. In fact I tried to keep as much of his animal traits as possible in all of them.

Tatl Beryllia This and Teal were much more challenging as I'm pretty much starting from scratch using only the words in the story as a guide. I found the hair to be the most difficult. They are so many different hair styles for females compared to men, but I at least knew that it was shoulder length and had a braided part. It's suddenly occurred to me that I have no idea how you braid hair...seriously, how do they do it??

Teal Beryllia Although I felt his design was a little easier, again I wasn't happy with the hair. You might have spotted already that Tatl and Teal look a little different compared to the sketches and the final image. That's because I dug out my copy of Hyrule Historia, an in depth book looking at The Legend of Zelda games. It featured official art and concept art that I used as a guide to try and give both characters a more Legend of Zelda feel to them.

Fierce Deity Sonic (Unused) He had to be based on Super Sonic, but I didn't want him to look anything like those Sonic X things...Dark Sonic and...that silver one called...Nazal? by fans. I'm following the lines of the supers in Black Knight and Secret Rings. I didn't want to change him physically or anything, like making him taller or buff. I gave him the markings that are on FDs face and the chest armour he wears, also a cape but a normal one would cover his spikes so it's one of those butt capes I've seen some characters wear. Unfortunately, I couldn't workout a way to include him so he didn't make it into the picture. It's the only major regret I have and I'm considering the possibility of him in his own picture.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 6 months later...

So I was told a couple of days ago that Donkey Kong was 35 this month. I didn't know, and I call myself a nerd??

By a complete coincidence, last week I completed a project that plays homage to DK. I've made models with clay before, but making models of buildings and environments is new for me. Are you ready?

Spoiler

CSl2BWY.jpg

It's based on his house as it appears in Donkey Kong Country Returns. It was made with lots of wood, paint and other fancy art material I learned how to use in the making of this thing. I go to a small art group every Thursday and the man in charge of it knows all kinds of stuff, it was his idea to give DK googly eyes. The inside is hollow and even has a hammock and TV, but at the last minute I choose to attach the roof with a hinge so the inside can be seen whenever you want.

I took so more pictures with alternate angles.

Spoiler

3WwANrx.jpg

Spoiler

bw7lZS6.jpg

Spoiler

UATFuDE.jpg

Spoiler

pEsIgYi.jpg

Spoiler

YoxGg7c.jpg

Spoiler

j1eUxLQ.jpg