Awoo.

Nintendo World Coming to Universal Studios

Badnik Mechanic

So remember how Universal was in talks with Nintendo to make a Nintendo themed section in their theme park? Well... it might be more elaborate than first thought. I have no idea how solid this source is but if it's true it's got a hell of a lot of potential to be awesome. 

Basically, at the moment in Orlando, Universal owns and runs two theme parks, Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure, well according to this rumour, they want to build and open a third, based on videogames.

According to my sources, Universal is ready to move ahead with plans to construct a third theme park in Orlando that would accompany both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Orlando and expand their footprint even further as a multi-day vacation destination to rival Walt Disney World. My understanding is that they already have enough land surrounding their currently developed areas and are in the process of accumulating more to realize their designs on something bigger.

As for what would help populate this new park with attractions, that may be where Universal’s deal with Nintendo comes in. While there have been rumors of Universal using Nintendo to revive the kiddie area that features such characters as Curious George, Barney and Woody Woodpecker, I’m hearing this might be what they really have in the cards. It’s possible they might split Nintendo into multiple parks, similar to their Harry Potter approach, which capitalizes on the fandom purchasing more days on their passes in order to get the full experience. A Mario Kart ride is certainly in the works, but I’m also hearing Pokemon and something THE LEGEND OF ZELDA would be created. So while they’re all Nintendo, they’re all distinct brands that may end up getting their own immersive worlds – and that cannot be done in the kiddie area alone.

The other big license I’m hearing would be a part of this new park would be WORLD OF WARCRAFT, which shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, given Legendary’s partnership with Universal now and the fact that the duo is heading up the release of Duncan Jones’ WARCRAFT movie next year. 

If everything goes according to plan, 2021 is when I’ve been told Universal would like to have this open.

http://thisisinfamous.com/universal-orlando-working-third-park-heavy-video-game-influence-exclusive/

Why this is more likely than you think.

Disney is currently expanding and massively re-developing a lot of their theme parks, but Universal so far have been doing small scale moves in the Orlando area, e.g. new rides/attractions, with some rumours of new lands in existing parks but nothing major. In fact, the last major move they made was the opening of The Simpsons Land and Harry Potter World, but on the grand scale of things, that's quite small scale compared to their rivals in the area.

Now videogames are such huge business worldwide, with names like Nintendo & World of Warcraft having not just appeal to the US but worldwide, a park based on games makes complete sense, Universal certainly have the cash and the land to build it too.

So... what do we think?

As a huge fan of Universal Orlando, I'd be quite happy with a 3rd park. Sure, the kid's section in Universal has severely dated but really, it'd be easier to make a full park on games. Universal's themeing is top notch (Their Jurassic Park is the best attraction in the entire world to me) and they could do it justice. If they have the rights to WoW, maybe some other games could get in there. I'll be sure to go to these parks either way but consider me interested, anything to keep people away from Avatar Land :-p

I do hope Sonic's part of it, but I'm not holding my breath given his status as a joke.

Never mind all signs pointing to SEGA being difficult to work with. A darn shame, though; they are really poor at operating parks outside Japan, so it'd be nice if they licensed their brands to established amusement parks.

Aww yea I hope this is true! A video game theme park would be my dream come true. <3 I wonder if they can pull in Sony or Microsoft franchises too, I doubt it's just going to be Blizzard and Nintendo themed attractions and areas.

It's about time I visit Universal Studios one day. When I get the money...

I want a Fallout: New Vegas attraction.

Just kidding, that would be totally out of place. But it's cool to see that this could potentially happen.

Universal's themeing is top notch (Their Jurassic Park is the best attraction in the entire world to me) and they could do it justice.

The atmosphere, the music, the accuracy of that section of the park is mindblowing every time I go there. I love it, they really know what they're doing when it comes to decorating sections of a park. If this video game thing ends up being true, Universal Studios is the place to do it. I'm really excited to see what we end up getting here. I would really want something Sonic related and I could see it happening with how iconic he is. Six years is certainly not a bad wait for this and I know I would be dying to go, it's about time gaming gets some more recognition, which it seems it really has been with recent movies and now this.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...

We have some new info on Nintendo's Universal deal!

http://behindthethrills.com/2016/03/first-details-of-nintendo-and-universal-deal-made-official/

Basically, Universal Studios Japan is getting it first, it'll be about the same size and budget as The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (about $350 million) and they are aiming at a 2020 opening. No attraction news yet but the deal will be finalized Friday so keep your ears open for more info!

• 8 months later...

Cool! From the looks of the props in the backround, they might be a sneak peek of whats to come for an upcoming Mario Ride.

I hope that the Park's rides and attractions will remain consistent for each park or else worst case scenario, Universal Japan gets an exclusive Splatoon attraction while Universal Hollywood only has the Donkey Kong Minecart RollerCoaster.

Just now, AxelPrime said:

Cool! From the looks of the props in the backround, they might be a sneak peek of whats to come for an upcoming Mario Ride.

On a side-note, I hope that the Park's rides and attractions will remain consistent for each park or else worst case scenario, Universal Japan gets an exclusive Splatoon attraction while Universal Hollywood only has the Donkey Kong Minecart RollerCoaster.

I honestly think it depends on the space they have to use. Makes me wonder were they will place it in Universal Orlando

6 hours ago, Tails spin said:

I honestly think it depends on the space they have to use. Makes me wonder were they will place it in Universal Orlando

Toon land. where the woody woodpecker roller coaster is/was