Awoo.

Sonic Boom TV Show to Feature Shadow?

CyclonX

I found a subtitled version of the episode on Youtube if anyone is interested (my impressions of Boom Shadow are in spoilers below so that you can formulate your own, untainted, opinions of him first):

Shadow's role seems to be a parody of fans who are less than enthusiastic about Boom, and a shockingly respectful one at that (speaking as someone who is less than enthusiastic about Boom), it honestly comes off as more of an acknowledgement of the issues people have with the show rather than the writers just taking a jab at people who don't particularly like it. As far as characterization goes Shadow is somewhat off, he reminds me more of Dark Pit than canon Shadow, but it works well enough and it's far from being the most offensive personality change in the series. Of course this is all based on a direct translation of the French dub, no telling what the English version is like.

Edited by Bowbowis

So that was a pretty cool episode. If Shadow's character is about trying to wake up Sonic about some warrior race they hail from, count me in.

Also, lmao at Orbot and Cubot hoping for a second season and lampshading some of the limited resources of the show. I hope they get more budget next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the dark pit thing works really, the appeal of that character sort of was that end the end he was a good guy. He was just trying to find something to live for.And while i don't think or rather don't have any faith in sonic boom tackling something like that , despite how low level that concept actually is. There a ways to come up with more interesting characterizations. Than just ... dark.

That said, this is 1 episode, maybe they expand in future.

I seriously don't get it, why is Shadow a villain?

Shadow isn't really a villain but just your typical Vegeta type of rival. Just hates Sonic's guts and is more than happy to kick his sorry blue butt.

• Thumbs Up 3

I seriously don't get it, why is Shadow a villain?

so i would like to belive its because shadow's entire deal in this series will be a face turn. A while ranger sort of thing, and eventually he will either A be apart of main group, or be Start Sonic Boom team Dark, and that will just be another section of boom. Building a character up, breaking them down, and building them up better, maybe go into why he is who he is.

What it probably is , going by shadow's portrayal in sonic boom so bad, that people who hate shadow criticized it. The inconsistant portrayal of the characters in general , and how everyone is in the cartoon. The fumbling of the marketing and a weird general disconnect between who is making the game and the cartoon. The folks at boom, actually believe this is who shadow is, like they actually believe sonic boom is an action comedy show. Or, they didn't particularly have any notice, and just did something with shadow based on limited knowledge, and that would explain why Perci , Metal sonic, And shadow were all shoved in the back end of this season.

Shadow isn't really a villain but just your typical Vegeta type of rival. Just hates Sonic's guts and is more than happy to kick his sorry blue butt.

Thats... lame as shit. The fact that he had more shit going on than vegeta was cool.

Edited by Shadowlax

Thats... lame as shit. The fact that he had more shit going on than vegeta was cool.

Well Boom is a comedy so trying to make the more serious characters work in a show like this isn't going to provide much depth to the character but hey, Shadow's being a badass and a nice little cliffhanger of him coming back, he was pretty good in my eyes. Maybe some more depth to him and Metal in the second season?

None of this is explained anywhere. Sonic Boom has once again failed to explain absolutely anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's the thing I hate about Sonic Boom. They write profile for the characters but they don't really use there own discriptions. -_-

None of this is explained anywhere. Sonic Boom has once again failed to explain absolutely anything.

Well the episode has yet to come out in English so I would suggest that to wait up until we start calling out on the bullshit.

But I can agree to some extent that Boom could use a lot more world-building but since it is a comedy, I'm not entirely sure if it's a necessity to have a lot of detail on its world when most of the time it's just Sonic and friends doing silly things for about quarter of an hour, the show doesn't really need a whole lot of depth to be fun since that's not its focus.

But that might just be me spouting bullshit again, so who knows.

I just don't think its needed when you can kind of tell who the characters are based on the episodes. Of course, characters like Metal and Shadow could use some more screentime to get a better understanding of them but hey, we got Season 2 for that!

So wait, did we just forget that Boom wasn't just a comedy? It's supposed to be an action-adventure franchise. By all means, they spent all the months leading up to this whole shebang last year hyping up how amazing this world they built is with how fleshed out the characters are, and they didn't back that up at all. As someone who DIDN'T WANT a comedy and wanted Sonic to be an action adventure again with a new world to explore, I feel pretty damn betrayed.

That's the thing I hate about Sonic Boom. They write profile for the characters but they don't really use there own discriptions. -_-

Even regular sega does that,

Well Boom is a comedy so trying to make the more serious characters work in a show like this isn't going to provide much depth to the character but hey, Shadow's being a badass and a nice little cliffhanger of him coming back, he was pretty good in my eyes. Maybe some more depth to him and Metal in the second season?

I feel like the comedy thing looses steam when things like adventure time has a in universe functioning mind-screw level multiverse theory, and steven universe after abut 5 or so episodes just goes into story stuff.

Hopefully we get to see more of him, and hopefully other folks in season 2

Oh wow, Shadow in Sonic Boom? Can't wait! Far as the Boom Universe goes, I've only really seen him in RoL. Really eager to see what his personality is like in this world.

So wait, did we just forget that Boom wasn't just a comedy? It's supposed to be an action-adventure franchise. By all means, they spent all the months leading up to this whole shebang last year hyping up how amazing this world they built is with how fleshed out the characters are, and they didn't back that up at all. As someone who DIDN'T WANT a comedy and wanted Sonic to be an action adventure again with a new world to explore, I feel pretty damn betrayed.

.....Again, with the melodrama.

I don't recall people saying that the show was going to be a action/adventure type of show. The action/adventure was only talked about in Rise of Lyric, we also learned that the show and RoL were originally two separate projects and from the looks of things, this seems to be the case.

Sure Season 2 can be a bit more adventurous but it should still have its comedic tone, in mean look at the differences in Season 3 of Sonic X with other 2 seasons, if the show lost its comedic tone than the show kind of loses its original purpose. Comedy Sonic is fine, Action/Adventure Sonic is fine; the series can work wither way. 

• Thumbs Up 2

.....Again, with the melodrama.

I don't recall people saying that the show was going to be a action/adventure type of show. The action/adventure was only talked about in Rise of Lyric, we also learned that the show and RoL were originally two separate projects and from the looks of things, this seems to be the case.

Sure Season 2 can be a bit more adventurous but it should still have its comedic tone, in mean look at the differences in Season 3 of Sonic X with other 2 seasons, if the show lost its comedic tone than the show kind of loses its original purpose. Comedy Sonic is fine, Action/Adventure Sonic is fine; the series can work wither way. 

One, sonic boom from the begging advertised itself as action adventure, and via character profiles still does online in posters characters in action poses about to go an adventure, sonic boom. Even recently they are still doing it a TMNT situation, TMNT team type situation. And it is even believed the sole reason the first season isn't as action as it is, is because different branches of this thing didn't communicate. As sega oft does. 

They continue to advertise a show that does not exist. which is a lot folks criticism of said show, and still doesn't have the other branches, the video games are bad and delayed, the comic book is just gone. And we haven't heard much in way of toys in while, IIRC. To have action elements to justify the show being this comedic middle ground. And even then it shouldn't really be in idea because the show should be selling everything else. Because the show will eventually get canned... it happens, but you will have other media especially considering sega publishes other media, and you can still support it, but with none of the support there... its just... a nothing show. Its not even that good of a comedy show, much like the burgers in that world, everything is... meh. 

And ...it doesn't have to loose a comedic tone, but it can be more than Meh comedy with nothing happening. 

Edited by Shadowlax

One, sonic boom from the begging advertised itself as action adventure, and via character profiles still does online in posters characters in action poses about to go an adventure, sonic boom. Even recently they are still doing it a TMNT situation, TMNT team type situation. And it is even believed the sole reason the first season isn't as action as it is, is because different branches of this thing didn't communicate. As sega oft does. 

They continue to advertise a show that does not exist. which is a lot folks criticism of said show, and still doesn't have the other branches, the video games are bad and delayed, the comic book is just gone. And we haven't heard much in way of toys in while, IIRC. To have action elements to justify the show being this comedic middle ground. And even then it shouldn't really be in idea because the show should be selling everything else. Because the show will eventually get canned... it happens, but you will have other media especially considering sega publishes other media, and you can still support it, but with none of the support there... its just... a nothing show. Its not even that good of a comedy show, much like the burgers in that world, everything is... meh. 

And ...it doesn't have to loose a comedic tone, but it can be more than Meh comedy with nothing happening. 

So the profiles gave misleading bios, doesn't seem to be a first really. SEGA was always messy with the characters, look no further with Blaze.

The comic book isn't gone entirely, it's going to come back but in the Digests. 

You might think it's not a good show but I found it to be pretty clever in some aspects, it's not perfect and I'm more than happy to see it improve but based on its first season, it does a good job at being a comedy show. Sure bring in the adventure and action (even though the action wasn't really gone in the show really) but "meh" comedy, I don't know man, I certainly laughed plenty of times in this show's run so I can't particularly agree with the show's humor being mediocre.

• Thumbs Up 1

So the profiles gave misleading bios, doesn't seem to be a first really. SEGA was always messy with the characters, look no further with Blaze.

The comic book isn't gone entirely, it's going to come back but in the Digests. 

You might think it's not a good show but I found it to be pretty clever in some aspects, it's not perfect and I'm more than happy to see it improve but based on its first season, it does a good job at being a comedy show. Sure bring in the adventure and action (even though the action wasn't really gone in the show really) but "meh" comedy, I don't know man, I certainly laughed plenty of times in this show's run so I can't particularly agree with the show's humor being mediocre.

You know what I was going to write a long thing, but I don't agree. 

The long thing gets to off topic into sonic boom in general, and things and maybe its best served for another topic.