Awoo.

SSMB videogame Tourney Q&A Topic - Current game "Mario Kart 8"

Lady Soniko

So I've been talking about a few tourney's for SSMB for the last year or so and because of different countries and time zones as well as various in game options I need to collect some data from you guys on what you want and what times are ideal for you.

Current topic will be discussing Mario Kart 8.

With the recent addition of new tracks and a new speed tier added I need you guys to answer a few questions since I'm planning on launching the tourney NEXT month in August before the School season hits in September (and before I get my hands on Mad Max because lmao I won't be around for a while when I get it!)

So questions.

1. What days are best for you? 
  2. Weekdays or Weekends?
  3. Afternoon or Evening? 
  4. Time and region?
  5. 150cc or 200cc?
  6. DLC Tracks included or standard MK8 tracks?
  7. Items on normal? or Items on Frantic?

Also due to amount of people who will likely want to take part I'll probably arrange a few password protected MK8 groups where you'll be designated to once we settle on places, but I'll speak more about it in the actual topic, this topic is just used for collecting feedback data on the ground of which these tourney's will be organized.

This topic can also be used for arranging details on future SSMB tourneys too, so I'd appreciate it if a Mod or Admin can sticky this thread for convenience?

Please take note that the Splatoon SSMB Tournament will be taking place during the winter to accommodate new players and to get used to the maps, new weapon classes and way of organizing the groups and matchmaking.

so yeah, discuss! 

• Thumbs Up 2

I am always busy in the day on Saturdays, but I am generally free any other time. I am East coast time in the US.

I am unsure about using frantic mode because it might take away from the skill factor for some players.

Not sure about 150 or 200. I guess DLC could be optional in case players lack the money to buy it?

Also, to try to balance the game out, how about having tournaments with specific weight classes? I say this because the small characters get an unfair advantage in 200 cc of extra speed, while the big guys have speed, but no turning.

Game Night recently did a Mario Kart tourney.

The rules were basically

-150CC (Due to most people being unable to handle 200cc)

-All stages legal, with the exception of Rainbow Road 8 and DLC courses

-All characters legal

1. What days are best for me?

Definitely Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Since I'm restarting school in August, I'll be off on Fridays starting around 3:00 PM.

2. Weekdays of Weekends?

Weekends. As said above, I'll have little obstructions during then.

3. Afternoon or Evening?

Definitely evening. If anybody has work during most of the day, they'll most likely be home during the evening ready to race. That's a plus.

4. Time and Region?

I live in Eastern Standard Time. Considering most people here are from the UK, I guess sometime around 5:30 to 7:00 EST wouldn't be too shabby.

5. 150cc or 200cc?

I think 200cc's way more exhilarating and offers an extra layer of challenge, it'd be interesting to see how a tournament with it goes considering the small one we had before did 150cc.

6. DLC included or standard MK8 tracks?

I really wanna play the DLC tracks for this, it'd be sad not to be racing on Big Blue during this. Most people here from my knowledge own both DLC packs, so I wouldn't see this as a problem.

7. Items on normal or items on frantic?

Normal. If we ever end up doing 200cc, frantic would just make things a disaster. Even any under circumstance frantic is just unfair imo.

Really hope this tourney ends up getting off the ground, I can tell it's gonna be a hell of a lot of fun. Here's to seeing you all on the racetrack!

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 1

What days are best for you?

probably Saturday. I mean really I'm free a lot of the time right now because summer holidays but I'm going to take the route that'd be convenient for others too and say Saturday.

Weekdays or weekends?

Weekends because... well, yeah see the above question

Afternoon or evening?

Evening because I dont have much going on then and it's the kind of time I'd usually do this kind of thing either way. Plus yeah most people would be around too.

Time and region?

coordinated universal time, in case I'm wrong with the name (because I never understand timezones) I'll just go ahead and say it's 1:40 am as I type this and I'm around the London sort of area.

150cc or 200cc?

I'm on the bench about this because 150cc would be more simple to quickly adjust to for the tournament whilst 200cc would be more wacky and crazy shit, but I'll probably give a say to 200cc because gotta speed keed.

DLC included or standard MK8 tracks?

DLC included just so the whole medium of tracks available can be covered with as wide range as possible.

Items on normal or frantic?

Normal because yeah 200cc + frantic items = just an absolute mess and a disaster lol

Glad to see some more word on this tournament and I hope it goes well! Lets burn some tarmac!

The best days for me will be weekends. Working full-time, Monday through Friday. 

Best time is in the afternoon until the evening or even late night. But only evenings on weekdays since there are times I work until 6:30pm.

I'm in the eastern standard time so for weekends my best times will be anytime after 2pm. On weekdays any time after 7pm.

I prefer 200cc, I'm sure many of us got enough practice of it and we can handle it in most tracks. Plus its more fun.

The items should stay normal. 200cc with normal items is good, even feels more balanced with 200cc on than 150cc lol

DLC should be added in. I'm also sure most people here got the dlc, those who didn't buy it probably don't play this game much so yea have it on.

Friday and Saturday are best for me. I have school on Sundays, unfortunately.

Weekdays or Weekends?

Weekends. I might be able to do weekdays maybe... depending on my schedule.

Afternoon or Evening? 

Evening. I'm usually doing stuff in the afternoon like going out or doing some sort of work.

Time and region?

GMT+2 here.

150cc or 200cc?

150cc. 200cc is fun and all, but for serious races, I'll go with 150cc.

DLC Tracks included or standard MK8 tracks?

Included please. It was a pain in the ass to get DLC because Nintendo of Greece hates us, so I would much like to play them. Also, a lot of the DLC tracks are fun soo...

Items on normal? or Items on Frantic?

I have no idea what frantic is, so normal, I guess.

1. What days are best for you? Any, on summer holiday.
  2. Weekdays or Weekends? ^^^^
  3. Afternoon or Evening? Evening
  4. Time and region? 20:00 - 00:00 GMT+1
  5. 150cc or 200cc? 150cc
  6. DLC Tracks included or standard MK8 tracks? Normal and DLC 1
  7. Items on normal? or Items on Frantic? Normal

Well, since I'm still on summer break, I guess I can take any sort of day throughout the week, but I'd probably prefer to play on weekends or Fridays. 

Weekdays or Weekends?

Yeah, I'd probably prefer weekends. 

Afternoon or Evening? 

I'm usually okay with anytime past 5 PM EST.

Time and region?

Eastern Standard Time, that's GMT +4, right?

150cc or 200cc?

I'd prefer some sanity if we're gonna be competing seriously, so 150cc.

That and I can't really play 200cc to save a life.

DLC Tracks included or standard MK8 tracks?

I'd love to have DLC included.

Items on normal? or Items on Frantic?

Honestly, I'm not sure if I can tell much of a difference, but just to play it safe, I'll take normal.