Awoo.

A complainant about the new avatar restriction

WhoWhatMan

I do think having an avatar be too tall or wide could be a problem, but having the ability to make an avatar rectangular to an extent would be nice.

Having avatars be forced into squares can remove some of the detail from profile images.

Edited by N8te

You know I never noticed that on the old boards. Huh. I need to pay a little more attention :wacko::wacko:.

This isn't something we can change through reasonable means. It would require a modification of the core code in many locations (not just in rendering; widgets, topics, profiles, etc.) - which isn't wise when the forum software is being updated every few days.

Speaking more generally, I'm glad that so many people remember IB3 features fondly (or just got used to them). Stacking modifications, however - especially this early in IB4's cycle - would only cause the forums to become as unreliable and unstable as IB3 was in the final few weeks before upgrading.

• Thumbs Up 5

Originally my avatar at time of writing was cropped to just around Daisy's body exactly, but after the update I just simply extended the view to the left and right for my avatar version.  A slightly sloppy but better than nothing work around for those who want to use images that are rectangular to begin with, would be to just use transparency to the left and right instead.  They won't scale down well for the smaller avatar views elsewhere, and you'll still have the border around them, but yeah.

At this point, we can only hope that a future IPB update allows more expansive avatars, as my avatars always come out small no matter what.  And I'd love to have more rectangular avatars, as well.

• Thumbs Up 1