Awoo.

The "Name Something That You Actually Enjoyed About Sonic Recently" Topic

Tara

As I have said time and time again, I really enjoy the Sonic Boom cartoon. It has a great combination of gut-busting jokes and exciting action sequences. Though the animation is kind of hit-or-miss, it gets the job done. Also, it's wonderful to see most of the fanbase unanimously agree on something in the franchise being good; the more of that we see in the future, the better.

Also, I am in agreement-- the Sonic social media accounts are pure gold. Who knows? It could lead to some more positive exposure for people unfamiliar with the franchise (as far and few as they may be; Sonic is still pretty well-known). We could use some fresh blood around here.

Edited by SonicWind
  • Thumbs Up 5

What I love a lot about the sonic franchise is the tones of Obscure characters here. There are game characters like Ray, AoStH characters like Squid girl, Underground characters like Mauve the fairy thing and plenty more to keep my creative brain happy.

I also love what Archie has done post reboot, even though I can't really read it any more it's been fun reading all about the new characters and worlds and seeing the new artists with their awesome styles and takes on the blue blur.

Last but not least I'll always be thankful for the english dub of Sonic X for helping me find my love of Sonic. Yeah it's a shit dub but I can have my gulity pleasures right? 

I had a few neat things about Sonic lately.

I remember back in 2011, I was so excited about Sonic Generations because of how awesome it looked. Then it came out, and I got it day one. It was short, but I loved it. I loved it so much that I spent my christmas holiday trying to 100% the game. The only thing I hated was the pre-final boss battle cutscene. I just had to leave the room for a while.

Not much Sonic-related things happened since then, except completing the Genesis trilogy, Sonic Chronicles, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Heroes.

Then come this year (or this week), when I decided I'd play Sonic Adventure (Re-Release) on my PC. I was plesantly surprised that, by some miracle, my old save file from 2009 came to greet me! How'd that get in there? I have no idea how that happened, but at least I know my Chao, Mr Assface, is okay.

...Eh, a handful of Sonic things happened.

I tried to improve the high score in Sonic 1 (Genesis version) on one life and got it around 630,000 or so. Ah..., one day, there will be a perfect score of Sonic 1 on one life!

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Boom cartoon. It's a fun little show I enjoy watching. Not the best I've seen on Television but it's good enough for me. Also, shout out to the twitter page, Aaron is doing an awesome job. 

Comics are still fun to read but I haven't caught up to the worlds unite saga though. 

"Sea Bottom Segue" from Sonic Lost World OST

I assume what's being asked when someone says "Name something that you actually enjoyed about Sonic recently." is "What thing from the Sonic franchise have you actually enjoyed recently?" or "Of the things that the Sonic franchise has put out or done recently, name one that you have actually enjoyed."

Edited by GUILD
  • Thumbs Up 2

"Sea Bottom Segue" from Sonic Lost World OST

Hidden Content

I assume what's being asked when someone says "Name something that you actually enjoyed about Sonic recently." is "What thing from the Sonic franchise have you actually enjoyed recently?" or "Of the things that the Sonic franchise has put out or done recently, name one that you have actually enjoyed."

As explained in the OP, it doesn't have to be about anything recent.  Anything that made you appreciate or enjoy something in the last 30 days or so, even if it's something that wasn't released recently, is okay.  This includes old cartoons, comics, games, merchandise, and anything pertaining to Sonic.  The key thing here is listing positive experiences so that the mods and members alike can just have a break from all this exhausting pessimism and insult-slinging. ^^;

• Thumbs Up 2

Yesterday, I started watching SatAM again, since the storm was preventing me from using the internet or watching TV.  I have to say that my love for the pilot episode becomes greater with every single viewing.  I mean, there's a lot of weird stuff, but the tonality was so great.  Lighthearted and sweet, but with just enough darkness to keep things suspenseful and interesting.  The animation quality was also significantly better in this episode than it is for the remainder of the series.  The colors were also absolutely beautiful, and the characterizations just wonderful.  The only thing that really bothered me was how catchphrase-heavy Sonic was.  You could just hear the Urkel in him.  Otherwise, Tails was precious, and I love the way he guilt trips Sonic into taking him into Robotropolis.  The inclusion of game enemies like Buzz Bombers in addition to Swatbots was a nice touch, as well.

Yes, yes, yes! Much agree-a-ment on this front! Heads or Tails has always been one of my favorite SatAM episodes, honestly. Probably in part because Tails actually going with Sonic, the presence of Buzz Bombers, Sonic "spin-dashing" some Swatbots, the reduction of darkness, and even Tails briefly going into a "spin attack" of sorts reminds me of the games a bit more, which is the biggest issue with SatAM for me. Plus, it just feels fun all around. Your post makes me want to watch it again! And maybe other episodes of SatAM too, it's been a while...

You know, the other day in the shower, I was just realizing that I honestly really like Dr. Eggman as a villain, particularly the game version. Somehow, he just feels "just right". I love how he's quite goofy but he can still be intimidating. Despite his constant failure to Sonic, you still get the feeling that he can be a real threat, as he's obviously insanely skilled and has amazing resources. He feels genuinely evil, wanting to conquer the world and all that, but unlike other villains, he never goes over-the-top to show you how eeevillll he is, which is something I find really annoying in villains. He's just so simple and straightforward, and also a lot of fun, with his amazing and often amusing or cartoonish robot and technology designs. He just...well, he just works. I know this is kind of generic, but it just sort of dawned on me that it's something I like about the series, as I'd never really thought much about it before, to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 5

As explained in the OP, it doesn't have to be about anything recent.  Anything that made you appreciate or enjoy something in the last 30 days or so, even if it's something that wasn't released recently, is okay.  This includes old cartoons, comics, games, merchandise, and anything pertaining to Sonic.  The key thing here is listing positive experiences so that the mods and members alike can just have a break from all this exhausting pessimism and insult-slinging. ^^;

OH! My fault for not reading the OP. I'm so used to not getting specification further than a thread title that I've resigned myself to just posting and asking. Thanks!

I've been listening to several of the Sonic game soundtracks lately. Such good music, really reminds me why I became such a fan of game soundtracks in general.

And, while this isn't really Sonic as such, I've been doing more stuff with my fancharacters lately. ^_^

• Thumbs Up 2

I really like the artwork for sonic channel lately and also almost all sonic music is great!!! 

Edited by jonjon99

Haven't really been keeping an eye on the blue dude too much for the past few months, but I can say that the Amazon Prime Day's (or it was close to it if it wasn't this, I forgot already lawl) deal on all dem Sanic games for 10 bucks when it's normally like a hundred plus. Still haven't gotten around to downloading them all yet or even diving into them on my PC, but it's really rad having a large chunk of Sonic's history on my computer now, despite if I've owned everything 10 times over by now haha.

If for anything else, it's kinda the general feeling of "what's next for the big main Sonic" that I'm pretty positive about. My Sonic addiction since after Unleashed has seemingly been pure hype train fandom. I get fucking EXCITED when a new trailer or leak or what have you pops up out of the blue (lawl puns). Sonic Boom hasn't been my taste so I haven't really looked at Fire and Ice much yet, but the second they're like "hey dogs, check this" with the new canon game, I'll be randomly back here to nerd out with you guys <3.

Oh and while I haven't played it, that mobile Sonic game seems pretty legit. I tried to download it once but my 4s iPhone wasn't having it lmao

• Thumbs Up 1

I absolutely love the Sonic OVA! It's my favorite interpretation of Sonic's World (and I think it would do nice in the game to make a more consistent canon world, but I'm really biased on that).

I've always loved how the Sonic characters are designed. They're all simple but effective and smooth and it looks very appealing to me. There are some slight exceptions, but for the most part I like how the anthros look.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm gonna be that one guy and say I've been enjoying Game Grumps' playthrough of Sonic games lately.

Arin's opinions aside I've been enjoying the madness that Arin and Danny puts themselves through. They often have crazy conversations and do run into the occasional hilarious glitch that makes them go "WAT" Yeah I love these games but its funny when you make an idiot try to complete them. no offense to Arin who's obviously gonna read this.

But that's just me personally.

I'm not sure if i'm breaking the rules here, but have you watched Super Best Friend's run of Sonic Adventure ?

Edited by NoirSuede

There's quite a number of things I'm enjoying.

Mainly the sonic boom cartoon whenever I can.

I've also been listening to remixes of sonic music on youtube.

I've also been playing sonic runners. I don't mind playing as just Sonic and Tails so the roulette doesn't bother me as much as others. It's a bonus if I get anything else. I'm still trying to get through the episodes. I'm very busy these days so I plod through very slow. I'm still in the early 30's of the episodes.XD

I'm also trying to beat my Sonic the Hedgehog classic collection games. I love the Megadrive game personally so I love going back to them and the DS game is just so much easier to pull out than the old Megadrive currently.=3

I'm reading the first Sonic legacy series comic book again and I recently got the sonic: Genesis comic.=)

I'm considering watching the sonic SATAM series again though not sure when. That's my most favourite cartoon series of sonic.^-^

Well...I've recently been enjoying Sonic Dash. It's not a big thing or anything, but considering my less than stellar opinion of Sonic's current direction nowadays it's something.

Been playing through Sonic Unleashed properly for the second time or so. It's been a heck of an experience.

Mostly because while the beginning has terrible pacing and the game definitely has it's problems (problems that are more obvious to me now than they used to be), I'm still finding a lot of enjoyment out of it. I honestly can say that this game gets more fun as the game goes and that when you find your footing in it, it's a load of fun.

I love the environments so much and exploring them, and to be honest while the medals being mandatory to progress is a really bad idea, finding and collecting them is actually really enjoyable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Despite having never been, I was pleasantly pleased to see Weston Super Sonic meet its kickstarter goal. Always good to see the fanbase is still willing to support events.

I've recently found a channel replicating the Everything Wrong With CinemaSins series for video games. There's a number of Sonic games they've covered, and the videos are good entertainment. As the videos say, not everyone will agree with the humour, but they do serve the purpose they were created for.

As well as that, just replaying my favourite levels in the games I own and listening to all the great tracks from the games.

I was thinking about Elise in 06 and Werehog Sonic. I noticed that in Japanese, they are played by Maaya Sakamoto and Tomokazu Seki respectively. How does this make me happy, you ask?

Tomokazu and Maaya were co-stars in the anime, The Vision of Escaflowne. That anime was one of Maaya's first major works as a singer and voice artist and Tomokazu was there to help her out. :) To see them both work on Sonic was a lovely coincidence.

I thought this topic said "say something positive about Sonic", but I'm sticking to this. I actually really love "Sonic The Hedgehog 4". I even prefer it over 3&K. Now, hear me out. When I played S1 &2 those where the hardest games I played. I even asked my mom to help me get through the water portions of S1 & S2 (LZ and CPZ). I played S3&K via PC (S&K collection) around the time and it was mind-numbly easy. I hated that game. But anyway, I loved Sonic 4 (both episodes).

The Sonic Boom cartoon. 

~ One-sentence posts are considered to be spam. Please elaborate on your thoughts as doing so contributes to discussion.-SSMB Staff

Well, to be frank, this:

SonicUniv82var-666x1024.jpg

It's the variant cover to the 82nd issue of Sonic Universe, and I f*&^ing adore it in all of its 1950's Visitors from Another World styled cheesy glory.

The idea itself is brilliant, especially for me, since I'm endlessly fascinated with works that harken back to the 50's in all their bizarre, Communist-hating, cracked out glory (hell, The Iron Giant and Back to the Future are two of my favourite films for partially this reason). And considering how Silver is probably the kind of hero that would appear in B-movies to fight aliens coming to invade the earth like it's EarthBound, it makes perfect sense (does anyone remember the weird UFO-like sound Silver made when he floated down to fight Sonic in 06? I always figured it was meant to evoke that kind of idea).

And then there's the artwork. Oh my lord, it's beautiful. The shading on the characters, the watercolour style brushstrokes that colour the mechs, the varying line thickness on each of the characters; it's simply gorgeous. It even kinda reminds me of Hayao Miyazaki's artwork for some of his works, particularly for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Nausicaa-of-the-Valley_of_the-Wind-wallp

Actually, it's kinda sad that this is only the variant cover. I know the series' artwork tends to stand out in the big world of otherwise homogeneous mainstream comic book artstyles, but imagine how awesome it would be to see this kind of cover in store shelves as the standard instead of a special variant to subscribers or whatever. (Not hating on the actual cover; it also looks great, but I just adore the variant!)

Thank you, T-Rex, for drawing this beautiful piece of art, and to whoever came up with the pulp sci-fi idea! This really made my day!

• Thumbs Up 4

• 4 weeks later...