Awoo.

The "Name Something That You Actually Enjoyed About Sonic Recently" Topic

Tara

I'm so glad this post got bumped up *hugs Dr. Crusher*

I've never played a whole lot of Sonic Unleashed, and just the other day I played some. I got past a Werehog level (Rooftop Run Act III) that had been frustrating me earlier, which made me happy. I honestly do find the Werehog levels rather fun, though they're also tedious xD Since the next level was another Werehog one, I didn't have the patience to play it, so I just played a couple of missions from some of the Day levels. It was exhilarating. I think I'll try to play Unleashed more often, it's pretty fun!

:) well.. i've been playing Sonic dash very early at the morning when my internet doesn't fail... i've been strugling to get Cream.. last week i've finnally got Rouge and i think i really like to play with her.. i don't know if its just me.. or she moves more quickly than other characters.. :D but it am about to get the last week to get more red star rings!

^_^ i also enjoy the new day to night thing update ... i hope they include more missions .. i've already done all of them..

Edited by Drawloverlala
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've never played a whole lot of Sonic Unleashed, and just the other day I played some. I got past a Werehog level (Rooftop Run Act III) that had been frustrating me earlier, which made me happy. I honestly do find the Werehog levels rather fun, though they're also tedious xD Since the next level was another Werehog one, I didn't have the patience to play it, so I just played a couple of missions from some of the Day levels. It was exhilarating. I think I'll try to play Unleashed more often, it's pretty fun!

How's the combat though ?

The combat can be annoying and repetitive at times, certainly, but it can also be pretty fun too. It's considerably better after my recent "level-up", as of course it's a bit quicker. I own the Wii version, and there's something kind of fun about actually swinging your arms around to hit the enemies, even if it's also tiring and/or annoying in some ways xD As I play more, I might be able to form a more clear and accurate opinion.

The combat can be annoying and repetitive at times, certainly, but it can also be pretty fun too. It's considerably better after my recent "level-up", as of course it's a bit quicker. I own the Wii version, and there's something kind of fun about actually swinging your arms around to hit the enemies, even if it's also tiring and/or annoying in some ways xD As I play more, I might be able to form a more clear and accurate opinion.

Shame that the combat's pretty much a God of War clone (no lock-on, 99% of your moves being 360 AOE attacks, 2 buttons just for dodging), because Sonic Team could've just ripped off Yakuza 2's combat (the level-up system's ripped straight out of that game for God's sake) and it would've been better off.

also i'm sorry for saying things about yakuza a lot :unsure:

Edited by NoirSuede

I've been watching AOSTH and I love that cartoon. It makes me think of other cartoons I have watched when I was little and it gives me nostalgia.

I'm also watching Sonic Boom and I really enjoy the show.  The redesigns are great to me too.

I've recently found a channel replicating the Everything Wrong With CinemaSins series for video games. There's a number of Sonic games they've covered, and the videos are good entertainment. As the videos say, not everyone will agree with the humour, but they do serve the purpose they were created for.

The channel's called Charii5 right ? You know, there's A LOT of "Gaming Sins" channels, and almost all of them suck (including Charii5) because they only cover the cutscenes of a game and not the game of the game itself. This is why i love Game Care Network,  even though they're not the funniest they're still the only one who has enough balls to sin gameplay.

I've been watching AOSTH and I love that cartoon. It makes me think of other cartoons I have watched when I was little and it gives me nostalgia.

I'm also watching Sonic Boom and I really enjoy the show.  The redesigns are great to me too.

Which  character redesign is your favourite one ? Personally my favourite is Amy's, because she has managed to do the one thing Modern Amy can only dream of, and that is to not obbsess over Sonic and in turn actually get close to Sonic, thus making Sonamy a legit pairing. I hope that the next time Amy shows up in a mainline Sonic game they take some cues from Boom!Amy and make her actually likeable by Sonic and the player.

I actually like the Werehog stages, but the big problem with Unleashed is how disproportionately placed and how contrasting they are to the daytime stages.  I wouldn't mind a full game based on some other IP that uses the same mechanics.  Namely, Ristar because, you know, I want a 3D Ristar and Unleashed's night time stages seem like a good base to start with.

I actually like the Werehog stages, but the big problem with Unleashed is how disproportionately placed and how contrasting they are to the daytime stages.  I wouldn't mind a full game based on some other IP that uses the same mechanics.  Namely, Ristar because, you know, I want a 3D Ristar and Unleashed's night time stages seem like a good base to start with.

I don't know, seeing a star do 360 sweeping attacks constantly looks completely ridiculous, maybe if they lock the stretching to grabs and Heat moves it wouldn't feel as noob-ish as it was with the Werehog.

After ignoring some old prejudices I had with this game, I'm playing Sonic World on PC. Glitches aside, it's a nice game. Makes me miss the Adventure style titles.

I really like the night stages in HD Sonic Unleashed. From a artistic point of view, they are just beautiful! Man, the Hedgehog Engine is awesome.  

...But the camera's bipolarity in certain acts - that makes a full 360° spin or 60° only - repetitive enemies and dull fighting moves for the Werehog (Just press "Y" on X360 or "Triangle" on PS3. Seriously, don't bother with other buttons...) sometimes ruins the fun for me. If Sega made the battles right, I would not mind a slower gameplay for Sonic.

The Archie comics and the Sonic Boom Cartoon come to mind. While Worlds Unite wasn't really my cup of tea (not to say it was outright bad, tho), thanks to the new previews I'm really exited for the next few issues of the Unleashed adaption. And the Boom cartoon weekly provides me with some good laughs and fun interactions between my favourite characters. It's fun following both, and it hopefully keeps me entertained until the big anniversary rolls around the coming year.

Another thing that I enjoy almost daily are some of the creations from the fans themselves. It's always a great feeling finding some awesome fanart, fanmusic and fanvideos while browsing or stumbling over a fanfic worth reading. The sonic fanbase may have its bad apples, but I'll be damned if there aren't also some very talented and awesome guys and gals inside our ranks.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Archie comics and the Sonic Boom Cartoon come to mind. While Worlds Unite wasn't really my cup of tea (not to say it was outright bad, tho), thanks to the new previews I'm really exited for the next few issues of the Unleashed adaption.

Same, it seemed like a story too big for it's own good that 15 parts didn't seem like enough.  Right now, the comic is my favorite thing about Sonic and just seeing neglected characters get their time in the spotlight is great. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know, seeing a star do 360 sweeping attacks constantly looks completely ridiculous, maybe if they lock the stretching to grabs and Heat moves it wouldn't feel as noob-ish as it was with the Werehog.

I was mostly referring to its engine as a base, with some tweaking to better suit the game's mechanics and aesthetics.  The majority of platforming and stretch mechanics work pretty well in all versions of Unleashed, the actual combat is where it would obviously have to be reworked. XP

Same, it seemed like a story too big for it's own good that 15 parts didn't seem like enough.  Right now, the comic is my favorite thing about Sonic and just seeing neglected characters get their time in the spotlight is great. 

Archie Sonic is one of my favorite Sonic things right now too. I should get a job so I can buy some Sonic Universe comics. That new Silver arc looks really interesting! Plus, the previews certainly have me interested in what's in store in the next Sonic issue.

Wow, this brought tears to my eyes.

Edited by Monkey Destruction Switch

After ignoring some old prejudices I had with this game, I'm playing Sonic World on PC. Glitches aside, it's a nice game. Makes me miss the Adventure style titles.

I really like the night stages in HD Sonic Unleashed. From a artistic point of view, they are just beautiful! Man, the Hedgehog Engine is awesome.  

...But the camera's bipolarity in certain acts - that makes a full 360° spin or 60° only - repetitive enemies and dull fighting moves for the Werehog (Just press "Y" on X360 or "Triangle" on PS3. Seriously, don't bother with other buttons...) sometimes ruins the fun for me. If Sega made the battles right, I would not mind a slower gameplay for Sonic.

The thing is, Sega already knows how to make battles that feel really nice :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HdvDEcten5g

Well not that I should feel obliged to post here but I've felt like I needed to, so here we go.

Quite obviously, the Boom cartoon and the Archie comics have always consistently provided some great fun for me (though I will agree with a lot of people that Worlds Unite wasn't very impressive). For Boom, it's simple campy atmosphere is very welcoming to me and with its plentiful amount of great jokes, character moments and action scenes, it has become my favorite Sonic cartoon yet though I still have to watch the 90s Sonic cartoons, yes that includes Underground. 

For the Archie Comics, it certainly helps that Ian managed a nice cohesive world that Sonic Team themselves can't seem to manage and seeing new twists on old characters is always very refreshing to see as well. It also helps that the game characters are portrayed at their very best here as well and overall reading an issue is always a fun read.

As for games, I have said before that I played through the first 2 Riders games and Unleashed HD for the first time and I LOVED THEM! Well more Unleashed HD than Riders/ZG.

First things first, Riders.

The first Riders is a really fun, addictive and fast-paced game. Well it's a racer, no duh. But it seriously feels wicked fast when I play through the tracks though I didn't learn all the mechanics at first, there was a pretty steep learning curve in the story mode especially when it came to tracks like Sky Road (No, not the stage from Lost World) but once I got the gist of it, it was really fun to play. Of course since I'm a hardcore completionist when it comes to games (Jirad eat your heart out), I took the challenge of getting all the boards and Gold Medals in Mission Mode and it wasn't easy but I got it and playing as Super Sonic is amazing, seriously OP as hell. The music also has nice futuristic high-tech feel to it and I love it as well, Sand Ruins/Dark Desert is probably one of my favorite Sonic level themes ever! The tracks are also really nicely designed as well, with plenty of shortcuts for every type to get an advantage in the race. The story was good, plenty of nice comedic moments with an interesting backstory for the Babylonians so it also intrigued me as well. So yeah, a really good racing game if I say so myself!

Though I played Zero Gravity first because it was in the mail first and hearing that it wasn't as fun as the first one but I found it also to be a really good game as well.

It certainly isn't as fast-paced as the first Riders due to a lack of a boost but the new Gravity moves are cool to see and use though Gravity Control was a bit too stiff for my tastes. But using GC against walls to reach different paths of a track is quite cool and the idea of Gear Parts is also a nice idea as well. It helps make each gear unique but it kind of sucks that you have to spend rings to use said parts, would've been better if you can just unlock it like in the first Riders but I really like the idea. The controls weren't as tight as Riders 1 so that's kind of an issue for me as well also it's really kind of unfair that once you get all the gears and when you just have a free race, your opponents can use those other gears as well instead of their default ones so that's not very fun for me either. The track design feels kind of hit-or-miss for me though, some tracks felt better designed with the new mechanics with fair shortcuts for all types but some type-exclusive shortcuts are noticeably better than others so that sucks. The story though was pretty good, had a nice mystery to it as well and I can't help but get a Terminator vibe when all the SCP robots went rogue especially at the end of the first scene and Knux has a small but still useful role in the story instead of just being there for comical reasons. As for all the Babylonians are actually aliens thing I didn't really mind since Sonic lore is always kind of weird and I like weird lore. The music is also really solid and definitely emphasized on the futuristic feel as well though I found Riders 1's music more memorable but ZG has a nice solid soundtrack.

And now we come to Unleashed HD......

I love it, it's probably my second favorite Sonic game of all time with 3&K still being top-dog.

I mean yeah, it has a lot of issues like the lag, mandatory medal collecting (though I had no trouble getting the necessary amount to clear the story), QTEs galore, Werehog being more slow-paced and combat-heavy is certainly not the ideal thing for a Sonic game though I would prefer that over fishing. It certainly gave me a hard time in several occasions as well.

But I can't help but love it, though maybe it could be me being nostalgic over the PS2 version since that version was one of my first Sonic games but a recent playthrough of the PS2 version made realize that it wasn't as fun as I recalled, easier yes but not as fun.

But enough of that, why I love Unleashed is its atmosphere. Even though the hub worlds were pretty compact but the NPCs are so endearing, it certainly feels like a world adventure. Getting to know the NPCs and see how they interact with others is such sweet detail that I'm glad that Sonic Team did implement. Like I can't even count how many NPCs I really enjoyed "talking" to and made me feel determined to save the day though seeing them taking the world being split apart pretty well is quite weird but still doesn't help the fact I enjoyed talking to them. Majora's Mask NPCs have some competition.

The visuals are amazing as well especially for its time, it does look a bit rough around the edges in some parts but it overall looks really nice. The music is of course amazing, definitely one of my favorite Sonic soundtracks of all time. The story had an amazing opening and conclusion but the middle really isn't that great. Like it seems like the story drifts away after Sonic fixed the first continent and then picks up before fixing Adabat, that middle section really could've brought many twists and turns but it was mediocre and uneventful. Guess Sonic Team weren't ready to do it since the criticism about Sonic having stories are starting to peak up at the time.

Finally gameplay, the Daytime Stages are quite a rush, a Sonic Rush..... yeah bad joke, moving on.

But even though I would rather not see the Boost appear in a main series console Sonic game again, I won't deny that once you've gotten the hang of the mechanics, the stages can be really fun to rush through. If I were to see a Boost game again, I would rather have it be in a Rush game, a more Adventure-esque type of gameplay would be something I'm more down with plus Parkour because that's cool.

As for the Werehog, I had a really fun time playing through his stages. I mean sure, pressing the triangle or square can get the job done but I like to change it up a bit since the Werehog does have a great amount of attacks to use. Also for the complaints about the Night Stages being too long, if you just go through the stage ignoring enemies outside of mandatory ones, it shouldn't take you less than 10 minutes to complete. I mean, Dragon Road Night can be completed in less than 3 minutes, that's shorter than most Daytime Stages! How I know this? The Hotdog Missions. They certainly test you on how well you know the level and that's great, it's nice to see the game test my skills on the stage and being able to complete it, it's very rewarding.

Overall, Unleashed HD is a challenging and intense game that has a strong sense of atmosphere but has plently of flaws in it but I can certainly feel Sonic Team tried their very best Unleashed as best as it can and the pros IMO certainly outweigh the cons, I love Unleashed HD and that's that.

Jeez, I certainly went all out in this post....

I loved the Sonic Boom episode: "Battle Of The Boy Bands."

It's hilarious, it's well animated, and I love seeing (and hearing, the voice actors really make it more fun) the Sonic crew get into wacky scenarios such as this. and it's fun to see one of my favorite characters point out the problems of the mainstream music industry.

I like Sonic Runners. It could certainly be better but it's a great time waster and I love all the playable characters. Sonic has such cool characters and it's so lovely to see them playable.

I was genuinely so excited when I first saw that Tikal was back. I was always under the impression sonic team forgot she existed.

Now all I need is for Bark to make a return and my dreams will have come true 

tumblr_my4se6IXoW1qlj42ao1_250.gif

The thing is, Sega already knows how to make battles that feel really nice :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HdvDEcten5g

While thinking about Sega's action games, I just remembered Sonic Battle (A.K.A. that Smash Bros.clone with Sonic) on Game Boy Advance. If Sonic Team translated those kinds of moves and combats to Sonic Unleashed...the Werehog stages would improve a bit, imo.      

Btw, Personally, Yakusa's battle system feels a bit stiff for me (If Yakusa 2 on PS2 can serve as a example), but I agree. The fights are very creative. 

While thinking about Sega's action games, I just remembered Sonic Battle (A.K.A. that Smash Bros.clone with Sonic) on Game Boy Advance. If Sonic Team translated those kinds of moves and combats to Sonic Unleashed...the Werehog stages would improve a bit, imo.      

Btw, Personally, Yakusa's battle system feels a bit stiff for me (If Yakusa 2 on PS2 can serve as a example), but I agree. The fights are very creative. 

Well you're horribly outdated on Yakuza because they completely changed the combat system in Yakuza 3 (And Ishin. And Zero).

Well you're horribly outdated on Yakuza because they completely changed the combat system in Yakuza 3 (And Ishin. And Zero).

Yes, sadly. I choose X360 (Money matters. It's the cheapest seventh gen HD console in my country) over the PS3, so I couldn't play anything after 2. Right now, I'm limited to the PSP japanese-only titles for something new on this series.<_<

I'd almost agree. The Werehog stages were almost well designed. They would have worked well as "cool-down" stages if they weren't so long. Even the first few Werehog stages just take too long to complete and end up turning into a chore. Also too much beat-em-up and not enough platforming, which is a shame, cause when they did actually make platforming segments I thought there were really good. The other problem was the framerate - at least on the PS3 version. The Werehog stages would spaz the fuck out due to the uncapped framerate and the Werehog's fur. It got really fucking distracting.

I mean I hated Cool Edge Night the first time I played it, but it is a pretty well designed level. Also helped that it was probably one of THE best looking stages in Sonic history. The ice and the lighting gave it such a phenomenal look. Fuck it, Cool Edge in general, both the day and night iterations are one of the things I reminisce about when it comes to Sonic and Sonic Unleashed (along with Jungle Joyride) as they look and feel like the most classically "Sonic" levels in the game.

Man......I miss Unleashed. Best looking game in the series bar none, and its never really been matched for the amount of effort put into it.......