Awoo.

The "Name Something That You Actually Enjoyed About Sonic Recently" Topic

Tara

When we started watching the Season Finale, my baby nephew responded to seeing Shadow for the first time by saying "Look! A Black Sonic!" I totally lost it. I'd figured he hadn't seen Shadow before but I wasn't expecting that kind of reaction from him when he finally did! :P.

2adorable4me :3

It reminds me of the first time I heard "I Am All of Me" (from the old American Sonic website, lol) and thought the phrase "black writing" in "black writing's on the wall" was something about "black Sonic" x)

Edited by Monkey Destruction Switch
  • Thumbs Up 6

So, relistening to some of the Sonic OSTs, I've gotta mention my one favourite OST from a pretty damn forgettable soundtrack.

Out of all the forgettable tracks in Lost World, this one manages to stick because of how jazzy the whole number it is. I love the rhythm and beat to this OST, and it's got a special energy I wish the other tracks in Lost World had managed to get into their soundtracks. Lost World may have been one of the most forgettable games with the soundtrack, but it at least gave us one really great jazzy track.

Oh, and special praise to Dragon Dance. I love me some Dragon Dance.

And while I'm at it, I've got to mention my new found appreciation for Unleashed. Unleashed was a game I always liked, but never finished, and was just kind of in the good area of Sonic for me, but when I did start playing a new file back in August (Which I really need to get back to once my backlog dies down a little), I seriously loved a lot of what I saw again. Graphics were much better than Generations in my own opinion, the Werehog was pretty fun for a beat em up, even if I wish he was downplayed a little more, and do I even need to mention the soundtracks?

• Thumbs Up 4

When we started watching the Season Finale, my baby nephew responded to seeing Shadow for the first time by saying "Look! A Black Sonic!" I totally lost it. I'd figured he hadn't seen Shadow before but I wasn't expecting that kind of reaction from him when he finally did! :P.

SA2 in a nutshell. Just kidding, that is freakin' cute! I'm so that your nephews and nieces enjoy the show much alike I.

I enjoyed the Silver battle in Sonic '06 today, played it for an hour, just that battle and enjoyed it quite a lot. 'It's no use' as I found out the hard way.

• Thumbs Up 3

Um...Does fan works count?

Came across a Sonic Adventure 2 comic here by Ziggyfan. It's freakin' amazing and brought back pleasant memories of the game.

I also have been reading fan fiction that I've accidentally got hooked on. I was using it as research for a secret project I cannot give details about. I'm enjoying the experience and am looking forward to what I can produce through it. Smiley face.

• Thumbs Up 4

I've been reading Sonic The Comic again today. Just read through the "The Return of Chaotix" storyline (the main stories of Issues 68-72) and I still love how interesting and intense STC stories could be. The Brotherhood of Metallix is probably one of the hugest threats to exist in the whole comic, and the ways that they had to stop the Metallixes at first really makes you think about the SOA origin story differently. 

I also read the Sonic 3 adaption (Issues 33-38) and that reminded me of how much I loved STC's adaptions. They were really miles ahead of Archie. 

STC is something that I really love (as if you couldn't already tell.) It makes me think that I probably wouldn't be here if not for STC as that was one of the things that got me into Sonic in the first place. So, it's quite an important part of Sonic history for me. 

Edited by Osmium
  • Thumbs Up 1

So due to the recent sale on Steam, plus Soni being Soni, I've gotten quite a few Sonic games on there and I've enjoyed playing through some of them again. Such as Lost World, Generations, both of the Sonic 4 episodes and both of the Adventure games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Um...Does fan works count?

Came across a Sonic Adventure 2 comic here by Ziggyfan. It's freakin' amazing and brought back pleasant memories of the game.

Thankaloo! :D

For me, I like to read the Archie comics to my little brother. I read them to him in the character's voices similar to the games and make up my own crazy ones for other characters. He's loved me reading them to him for years and years even though he's reached Middle School (Grade 6 and 7 in Canada...or my province at least). So yeah, doing that whenever a new comic comes out always makes me happy. 

Also, in regards to the SA2 comic mentioned, I've been very thankful for all the people reading it. Sonic fans posting on things letting me know they were inspired by it or it makes them nostalgic and want to go back and play the game... that's what keeps me going. It's for the fans and for me and to know that people are enjoying something that I love and love making has me overjoyed! 

Game Grumps playing Sonic games is also hilarious XD

• Thumbs Up 7

Dude, I also "voice act" whenever I read a new issue of the Archie comic. It's stupid and silly but man, is it fun to do!

• Thumbs Up 8

This is kinda a follow up to my previous post, I told Ziggyfan how his comic inspired me to try mine again and it stars Team Chaotix. So I was just rummaging through the series back catalogue of music. I wanted to listen to the Team Chaotix theme song again, to see if that spark is really still there.

But I accidentally found a version of Big The Cats' theme song from Adventure that I'd never heard before. I've often mentioned how Lazy Days (Livin' in Paradise) has this uplifting effect on my mood, I freakin' love this version as much as the original. XD

I also found a second song that I haven't heard in a while which I also like.

Jeez, now I'm more inspired than I was before! Where the hell's my pencil?!?

Oh...I almost forgot I was looking for this. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

I actually just finished Sonic 1 for the first time this very night. It was really fun. It's easily one of my favorite Sonic games - honestly, maybe even my very favorite. I know that's a little strange in some ways, especially considering how it doesn't have nearly as much speed as most other Sonic games, but I dunno. I guess I just find the platforming and overall gameplay to be really very satisfying. I just love it, honestly.

• Thumbs Up 3

Enjoyed listening to the soundtrack for Master System version of Sonic 1 today.

Mmm, I wish they'd do a modern day version of bridge Zone or Jungle zone for the next 2D Sonic game.

Edited by Idon'tcare
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not only did I enjoy Sonic Colors DS more than the Wii version, I think Dimps flat out whooped Sonic Team. Dimps best work on the franchise. Has me thinking about replaying Wii version for a fresher comparison.

I just got through replaying Sonic Unleashed (PS3 Version) with my sister, and even with my controller working against me, leading to several unnecessary and rage-inducing deaths, I had an amazing time. Even with the game's noticeable flaws (imperfect controls, some fake difficulty in the level design here and there, and occasional framerate issues, plus most people take issue with some aspect of the werehog stages, my only real problem with them being that they're a tad too long), I still believe it to be simply the most insanely fun Sonic game I've ever played, even more than Colors (which I admittedly haven't gotten to play in a while, so I can't properly compare the two) and Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

In addition to being really fun, it is simply beautiful, and I'm not just talking about the Pixar-esque graphics (that lighting, ohh). The story is beautiful in it's simplicity (unlike Adventure 2), heartwarming moments between characters (unlike '06 or Lost World), and balance between comedy, seriousness, action and character development (unlike every game to come after it, and quite a few before it).

The characters are all funny and loveable, not just Sonic, Tails and Eggman, but also Orbot, the Professor and even Chip, who I honestly couldn't stand when I first picked up the PS2 version way back in 2008 or 9. Even Amy, who never really leaves "Sonic fangirl mode" in this game, is actually not just tolerable, but just as likable as the others; rather than finding her annoying like in Rush, Heroes, '06 and especially Free Riders (my, was she a bitch in that game), I find her crush cute like in Sonic CD.

I love the exhilarating speed of the day stages, the awesome combos in the night stages, the atmosphere of the hub worlds, the ability to talk to the various townspeople and follow them on their own little adventures, the ability to buy food for Sonic and Chip (I only wish I could buy food for Amy as well), the music, everything about this game. This may be a technically flawed game, but the fun factor and presentation are simply perfect. Until further notice, this is my favorite Sonic game, and playing it again really makes me appreciate the character and franchise I grew up with, and makes me excited for Sonic's 25th birthday.

Edited by Hyper Enesephus
  • Thumbs Up 4

I replayed a bit of Sonic Adventure (DX) recently, and I have to say, as glitchy and dated as it is, a lot of the levels are pretty fun, I even enjoyed the criticised ones such as Big and Amy to a degree. It's even more fun with hacking or an Action Replay so you can put characters into others' levels.

I also checked out a fair bit of Boom I hadn't got round to watching before (mostly the second half). I have to say, as cheesy as it is, I did actually enjoy a lot of the episodes.

But I accidentally found a version of Big The Cats' theme song from Adventure that I'd never heard before. I've often mentioned how Lazy Days (Livin' in Paradise) has this uplifting effect on my mood, I freakin' love this version as much as the original. XD

I listened to the original recently, and I have to say I prefer it. I'm glad they chose a more unique, wacky instrumentation for Big's theme, which made it a perfect leitmotif in the game itself. Same for Gamma and Amy's themes, you can tell it's a scene with them the moment their theme starts. I'm starting to wonder if that was intended for the other characters as well, I mean I like air guitars as much as any guy, but the SA games used them in almost everything so they came off as rather generic. Tails' in particular could have done with something lighter and quirkier than the standard rock instruments.

Edited by E-122-Psi

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of sounding a little weird: Hill Top Zone.

See, I'd always thought it was something of a mediocre zone...but today, I realized that my opinion was being hugely colored by the fact that it has what could easily be my least favorite BGM in the franchise. So I decided to be more open-minded, and you know what? I had a lot of fun! It's actually a perfectly decent, enjoyable level with a pretty neat visual design and some creative game play aspects. I'm so glad I gave it a second chance and allowed my opinion to evolve in a direction that means more enjoyment for me. And honestly, the music really doesn't bother me anymore, even if I still don't like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2015 at 3:19 PM, Weedy Speedy said:

As a grown man, I have no problem admitting that I love the Sonic Boom cartoon. It's charming, hilarious, and makes me feel like the little kid who just loves Sonic the Hedgehog again. No additional bullcrap needed or required.

That's because the Sonic Boom cartoon is the best. Knuckles is a beautiful angel.

• Thumbs Up 1

When it comes to Sonic 4, Lost Labyrinth Act 2 is one of my most favorite stages in the game. However for the longest time, I havent been able to beat my score, meaning the time that I beat it in, until now

Xe6ZSXP.jpg

its not much compared to others as in the rankings for this stage, Im number 228, however im proud of this time because it is the first Ive gotten past 3:30 runs for this stage. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2016 at 0:51 PM, Mikyeong said:

When it comes to Sonic 4, Lost Labyrinth Act 2 is one of my most favorite stages in the game. However for the longest time, I havent been able to beat my score, meaning the time that I beat it in, until now

Xe6ZSXP.jpg

its not much compared to others as in the rankings for this stage, Im number 228, however im proud of this time because it is the first Ive gotten past 3:30 runs for this stage. 

I'm gonna quote this post of mine because I have a mini-announcement. I have then beat this time and here were my attempts.

ePJPSg0.jpg

^ this one was my first go at it, but I found that I was shaky in some parts. I then tried again and got this:

ODiqj8P.jpg

I went from 228, to 45 and now I am number 27 in the rankings for this zone/act. I know it's just a rank, but this is something I am very proud of. LL Act 2 is my most favorite zone in the entire game and I enjoy playing it and I am glad it shows. Even though there are 26 other people who are better than me at this stage, which I have no issue with.

• Thumbs Up 4

I liked your post, Kiah, it made me smile, though it makes me even more angry at CN's treatment of the show. CN has this thing where they show videos of little kids geeking out over their shows during commercial breaks. The people at CN probably hit the delete button everytime they get a video of a kid praising Sonic Boom. Bah.

• Thumbs Up 1

finding out that you can switch the wing settings of the Egg Carrier while it is in the ocean.  I was watching a video guide on finding the adventure field emblems in the Dreamcast original because I was missing at least four AF emblems in the game, and that's when I learned that I could switch the wing modes on the submerged Egg Carrier

I recently enjoyed a lot Sonic 1 and 2 remasters (can't say the same about Sonic CD remaster), and I'm currently enjoying playing Sonic Generations again. I'm not totally  happy with classic stages physics but it's a really beautiful and funny game.

I was hoping to get Freedom planet, but I ended up being short just shy of 9 cents. So I got 3D Sonic the Hedgehog. That has to be the fifth time Ive bought a release of Sonic 1. It is my favorite ( non fan hack ) version so far, the 3D looks great, and I probably replay Sonic 1 more than any of the origial trilogy, even with all of them being readily accessible to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Incidentally, playing 3D Sonic 1 was the first time I had beat the game with all the Chaos Emeralds.  I was so proud.

• Thumbs Up 1