Awoo.

The "Name Something That You Actually Enjoyed About Sonic Recently" Topic

Tara

2 hours ago, Adamabba said:
Actually, I was asking about Sonic Colors's insanely difficult S-ranks.

Oh right, that. Yeah, I'm going for the S-Ranks. So far I've already S-Ranked everything in Tropical Resort, and collected every Red Star Ring in Tropical Resort and Sweet Mountain. But yeah, so far, the S-Ranks have been pretty tough. Quite a step up from Unleashed Wii, where you only had to get to the end as fast as possible to get an S-Rank.

16 hours ago, True Detective Soni said:

Colors is literally one of the easiest Sonic games to S Rank. All you need to do is milk those Colors Bonuses like crazy, the only time I felt it was a bit tricky to S Rank was the Frigate Skullian bossfight in Asteroid Coaster.

I had more trouble to get the S Ranks in Lost World's Time Attack.

Yeah that boss took me ages to S rank, it was my last S rank of the lot and I got it by luck I think. Some levels are tough to S rank though. Not the major length levels, but the short gimmicky ones where you need every red ring or wisp usage done correctly.

I played Sonic Chaos today, though...I gave up on the final boss 'cause I was having a really hard time with it ._____.

But anyway, it's a game I really like, honestly. It's just such a cute, dinky little game. It's simple and nothing spectacular, but I still really enjoy it. The physics are a little weird, but I still have fun with them. I think the levels look pretty cool, especially the incredibly unique Mecha Green Hill Zone. I also kinda like the bosses being extra-tough badniks instead of Eggman, their designs aren't bad (aside from maybe the big motobug, lol) and it's a fun change of pace. It doesn't hurt that I have a lot of nostalgia for playing it in SADX so many years ago. I played the Master System version for the first time today, and it was nice being able to see more, lol. So yeah, overall it's a game that I personally find quite pleasurable.

• Thumbs Up 4

I was playing CD again yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot more, perhaps because I was exploring and such and playing with the American soundtrack, which I prefer to the Japanese one. I particuarly like some parts near the end of the game - you have Stardust Speedway, an energetic and climactic level, and the intense race with Metal Sonic. After that, you go into Metallic Madness, and Metal Sonic's down, Amy's saved, and it's just Eggman to deal with now. I think the American soundtrack works perfectly, especially the Present track, because it's so foreboding before the final (underwhelming) showdown. Even the Good Future doesn't lose the foreboding nature.

Collision Chaos Good Future is also probably the best level in the game with the American music. Such a dreamlike world where you just roll down massive as fuck hills, with lots of nice greens and blues. A close second is Stardust Speedway Good Future with the American music too, so energetic and dramatic, and I always loved the look of the lake in the background, and then all the rollercoasters towards the bottom of the map. I would have loved remixes of it, and loved to have seen it as an unlockable skin in Generations for the Metal Sonic fight, I think it would have looked gorgeous.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been listening to some soundtracks that don't get enough love. I always appreciate Sonic for it's music and I just discovered "Camelot Castle". I adore the melody and the use of strings.

Y'all should listen to Black Knight's level songs more.

• Thumbs Up 3

Weirdly enough, the music for Green Hill Zone. Not even GHZ itself, just the music. I've been replaying Sonic Generations these past couple days, and, either today or yesterday (is it bad that I can't remember which?:lol:), I decided to go back to replay Green Hill Zone Act One with Classic Sonic. I now had the option to change the music, and I noticed I had unlocked the original BGM for Green Hill Zone. I decided to listen to it and, man, the music for GHZ is just so beautifully nostalgic, I literally almost teared up. There's just something about that tune that just sums up everything about the Sonic franchise and all my feelings towards it, and it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, I played Sonic 3D Blast and...died at Spring Stadium Act 3. Ugh! However, I'm happy to report that I actually really enjoyed playing it. Yes, it has plenty of flaws and sometimes it really frustrates me, but I actually find the basic gameplay to be very fun. I also love the aesthetics.

What's best of all is, as I was playing the game and realizing how much real, solid enjoyment I could get out of a game considered mediocre or worse by many, I actually think it opened my mind a little bit. I mean, I don't think I've been super intolerant or anything, but sometimes I haven't been the most understanding of opinions that are different from mine, such as SA2's treasure hunting being good, for example. But now, I think I see better that just because something in a game can be frustrating and has what might be considered design issues doesn't mean that it can't be really entertaining if a person has a taste for it. I'm honestly even more grateful for this lesson I learned than the entertainment of playing the game itself, and I am really grateful for that.

• Thumbs Up 6

On 3/11/2016 at 3:50 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

And the one song I didn't even realize was in the game, and now it's probably one of my favourites...

oh and the small mention i've been inspired by the music to resume my unleashed playthrough, and trying to get the platinum trophy.

That song is so cheesy but I can't hep but get feelsy when I listen to it. =(

5 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Yesterday, I played Sonic 3D Blast and...died at Spring Stadium Act 3. Ugh! However, I'm happy to report that I actually really enjoyed playing it. Yes, it has plenty of flaws and sometimes it really frustrates me, but I actually find the basic gameplay to be very fun. I also love the aesthetics.

What's best of all is, as I was playing the game and realizing how much real, solid enjoyment I could get out of a game considered mediocre or worse by many, I actually think it opened my mind a little bit. I mean, I don't think I've been super intolerant or anything, but sometimes I haven't been the most understanding of opinions that are different from mine, such as SA2's treasure hunting being good, for example. But now, I think I see better that just because something in a game can be frustrating and has what might be considered design issues doesn't mean that it can't be really entertaining if a person has a taste for it. I'm honestly even more grateful for this lesson I learned than the entertainment of playing the game itself, and I am really grateful for that.

Sonic 3D Blast was my first Sonic game, but I don't have as much nostalgia for it as I do Sonic Adventure and the earlier Genesis games.  But every time I replay it, I feel like the game has the groundwork for a classic-inspired 3D Sonic game, but falls short largely because of the fetch quest nature of the game.  The slippery controls don't help, either, but they don't break the game nearly as much as some people say.  So yeah, I enjoy the occasional 3D Blast playthrough,  It's far from the best Sonic game, but I enjoy it a lot, and especially more than, say, Spinball or Mean Bean Machine, both okay games in their own right but frustrating for far different reasons.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Booted up Sonic Unleashed again. Still haven't finished the game, but I recently finished Cool Edge Night. The Werehog is just a lot of fun to play as in my opinion. Ironic, considering what I thought of him as a kid... my, how things change.

• Thumbs Up 6

Last week I played through Sonic 2 again. I've been familiar with this game for almost a decade now, but only this past week have I been able to get all the emeralds (As Sonic, that is- I have no problem getting them as Knuckles). It took until Hill Top act 2 to get them all, but that feeling of getting the seventh emerald after so many tries was immensely satisfying. I really shouldn't have had such trouble with the last Special Stage though, since the patterns are fairly straightforward once you've worked them out.

Sonic 3&K is still my favourite of the classic trilogy, but damned if Sonic 2 isn't great as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now it's your turn.  Name something that you appreciated about Sonic recently.  Now.

I just found out Metal Sonic is a recurrent boss in Sonic 4 Episode 2. Also, the game's full of cool bosses that are basically a redo of the Sonic 2 ones, only they were perfected.

Time to go play the game.

• 1 month later...

I gave one of @E-122-Psi's Sonic 1 hacks, Vector the Crocodile in the Sonic the Hedgehog, a spin. I wasn't being too careful and died in Marble Zone, lol, but it was really fun and I definitely want to keep playing it and other character hacks. Vector is pretty slow and has an absolutely pathetic jump, but his air dash move is surprisingly fun - sort of like Knuckles' glide with a burst of momentum added. It's really satisfying to play with. Something is really enjoyable about getting a mostly slow character to be able to move fast. It really breathes new life into the game to be playing a character with the same basic gameplay, but different capabilities.

It also reminded me that Vector's a pretty great character, and that his classic design, which is easy to forget due to only appearing in one game, is very nice. It's very amusing how, unlike most Sonic characters who get impatient if you idle, he just jams to his music! Many of his other sprites have a pretty humorous look, too. Of course, he also has a very interesting species for a Sonic character, an alliance with Knuckles in the classic games, and a fun personality and role in his modern incarnation - what's not to love about the croc?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 30 May 2016 at 4:25 PM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I gave one of @E-122-Psi's Sonic 1 hacks, Vector the Crocodile in the Sonic the Hedgehog, a spin. I wasn't being too careful and died in Marble Zone, lol, but it was really fun and I definitely want to keep playing it and other character hacks. Vector is pretty slow and has an absolutely pathetic jump, but his air dash move is surprisingly fun - sort of like Knuckles' glide with a burst of momentum added. It's really satisfying to play with. Something is really enjoyable about getting a mostly slow character to be able to move fast. It really breathes new life into the game to be playing a character with the same basic gameplay, but different capabilities.

It also reminded me that Vector's a pretty great character, and that his classic design, which is easy to forget due to only appearing in one game, is very nice. It's very amusing how, unlike most Sonic characters who get impatient if you idle, he just jams to his music! Many of his other sprites have a pretty humorous look, too. Of course, he also has a very interesting species for a Sonic character, an alliance with Knuckles in the classic games, and a fun personality and role in his modern incarnation - what's not to love about the croc?

Glad you enjoyed it. :D It's coded as much as possible to play like Knuckles Chaotix Vector as well, Flamewing (the guy responsible for Sonic Classic Heroes) actually helped me optimise it so you can thank him as well.

I have to agree on that theory. Slow characters can work in a Sonic if you still work them in a manner that they can still sorta have the same fast paced gameplay. Some fans tend to forget that and chew out all mechanics that aren't as fast paced as Sonic, rather than the ones that are badly implemented to be tedious on all accounts no matter how much you try to get it working.

• Thumbs Up 3

i felt like playing 3d blast for a while, i have a cart but i have no genesis. i can kinda play it on vizzed though. but i just don't feel like playing games on vizzed for most of the time.

also you should change the title a little bit, the title kinda sounds like classic-sonic fans trying to bait other parts of the fanbase. and i don't feel like linking an article i found on wikipedia on an personalty disorder to bait anyone here or some shit. especially not here where some fans in an topic are just trying to get along up until i mentioned the article iam not going to post.

I don't really listen to Sonic music very much anymore, probably because I was so burnt out from listening to Sonic music so much on my IPod. Music for me just doesn't have that same magic or impact after listening to the same songs over and over and over again.

That being said, rediscovering Sonic soundtracks after more than a year of listening to them just feels so.... right. It's like ripping into aged, fine wine, it just sounds special after taking a break from it. Sonic CD's soundtrack especially (both of them!)

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Beautiful Duwang-Chewchang said:

also you should change the title a little bit, the title kinda sounds like classic-sonic fans trying to bait other parts of the fanbase. and i don't feel like linking an article i found on wikipedia on an personalty disorder to bait anyone here or some shit. especially not here where some fans in an topic are just trying to get along up until i mentioned the article iam not going to post.

Given the point of the thread is to talk about things you enjoy about the franchise, I'm not sure why you think it was necessary to bring this up. Like, at all.

Let's not derail this thread with off-topic nonsense, thanks.

I mentioned this in a status yesterday, but thought I'd share with the class.

Sonic Lost World is not very good, or I'm just not very good at it (all of the bullshit deaths. All Of Them), but the soundtrack is ridiculously good. Sky Road Act 2 is my new jam, I love the orchestral/electro mix they've got going on in loads of the songs, the horns are all good all the time. Even The Deadly Six theme is great, the mix in Lava Mountain especially. And it gave us this...

Can you mod the music files to put this in every boss fight?

• Thumbs Up 2

It was a rainy afternoon, and I was messing around with some Virtual Console games on my Wii when I decided to throw my copy of Sonic Mega Collection on. After mindlessly flipping around some of the menus, I settled on playing Sonic 3 standalone. No save file, Sonic only. While the experience itself is on the short side, I had a lot of fun going back to this one since I haven't really played a Sonic game in a while.

Anyway, this was a pretty low-pressure, totally fun playthrough where I just went with whatever was going on. While I did look for the Chaos Emeralds, I wasn't too concerned if I actually got any of them (though I'll admit to some mild swearing when I accidentally got bounced into a red sphere one too many times). In the end, I got two.

I was quite taken with how near seamlessly the stages feed into one another, and watching the story of the game unfold in its own simple way, and feeling just as engaged with it as I do with any RPG I like. And the environments are still really nice and interesting to look at, especially seeing how everything is layered and built up. I was quite inspired looking at it all--who knows, I might draw something up at some point. And it's always fun going back and listening to the music of this game. I'm especially fond of the exclusive tracks this game gets, which have that Michael Jackson flavor, particularly the Miniboss theme, Knuckles's theme, and the ending (the basis for Jackson's "Stranger in Moscow"). It's a shame they go unheard in the complete/locked-on version of the game (though I think Knuckles's S&K theme is a great replacement to the Sonic 3 version).

While I wasn't REALLY conscious of it, I feel like the game was designed in a way to guide the player around while being as unintrusive as possible, and everything flows together well because of it so as soon as you get the hang of something, the game might surprise you with a little twist. Little things like getting the player used to the ziplines in Angel Island, only for one of them to burn off or quick puzzles or challenges that open up the next part of the path. I even gained a SLIGHT appreciation for Carnival Night Zone. I found myself messing around with some of the barrels that come a bit before the dreaded one that stumped me as a kid and turns out they have the same mechanics, but since there's no obvious use for it (they don't really take you to secret paths or anything) you wouldn't think much of it, but turns out they're there to teach you how to pass that one section. Granted, the whole pressing up and down to make the barrel go anywhere isn't very obvious, but... they tried.

There was a funny glitch that occurred though: as I said, I played Sonic only, so Tails is SUPPOSED to only show up during the Marble Garden boss. Imagine my surprise when he comes flying out of nowhere when I finish the Carnival Night miniboss and starts tagging along! Of course, then I screwed up and died, and he wasn't there anymore, so I have no idea if he would've continued along for the rest of the playthrough if I cleared the level with him behind Sonic. I have no idea what triggered that, but it made me laugh.

All in all, it was a fun way to spend an hour or so, essentially just messing around in one of my favorite games. I have to admit, I've felt somewhat detached from Sonic stuff lately. Outside of the comics (which have been a chore to read the last few issues because of the current split story structure in the main book and rushed feeling they have, which honestly bums me out, alongside Archie's various financial woes affecting the Action imprint's reprint lines) and a drawing I'm working on, I really haven't kept up with Sonic very much. But going back and playing Sonic 3 for a bit, with no real expectations, has been a treat and has gotten me a little more excited about the series again, and I might just go through some of the other stuff I like to find stuff to talk about, especially since we're nearing the 25th anniversary. Maybe I'll do Sonic & Knuckles standalone next.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently finished reading "Sonic the Hedgehog in the Fourth Dimension," one of the Martin Adams Sonic books. I have to say I found it to be a rather fun read. Pretty interesting plot, a lot of neat (and sometimes kinda weird) characters, and overall it was just some great, early 90's Sonic fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've only recently started watching Sonic Boom as two of the DVD volumes have been released here in the UK, and I'm really enjoying what I've seen so far. The humour in some episodes is the right amount of silly, especially in "Let's Play Musical Firends". That has to be my favorite episode so far.

The inclusion of Orbot and Cubot just really reminded me how much I adore Sonic Colours too and promoted me to replay it.

Everything about Sonic Colours makes me really happy. The bright and vivid environments and the joyful, energetic sounding OST, and how great the English voice acting goes with the characters movements. I'm still blown away by the graphics now even though the game's six years old.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Kiah said:

My mom has been trying to give me a Sonic gift of some sort for years but everything she saw-whether it was a video game or a figure-I had it already. Finally she came across something that I didn't have: the Sonic the Hedgehog Memory Challenge card game. Here is what it looks like:

9IJEydw.jpg

While I was appreciative of my mom's thoughtfulness and determination to get me something Sonic-related that I didn't already own, I didn't think too much of the gift as I had the thought that a memory game wasn't really something to get excited for and I was just going to keep it for collective purposes to add to my huge Sonic collection of stuff that is still growing with me being in my 30's. But I decided to give the game a try and to let my mom know that I did put her gift to use so I, along with my niece, 3 nephews and 4 of their friends that were over my house sat in a huge circle in my living room and the 9 of us played the game.

I took the Chaos Emerald cards out of the game for simplicity's sake as there were two 3-year olds in the group among other various ages but they got the point of matching the cards and they played good! The cards had an assortment of Sonic characters and it was fun to see the kids call out the names of the characters that they recognized. Then there were characters that some kids didn't recognize such as Tikal and Omega, so I was delighted to give them a lesson on "The Massive Cast of Sonic Characters 101" and what games they are from :P.

The game lasted much longer and it was much more challenging than I thought it would be. By the time the game was over I was in 4th place as 3 of the kids had more matches than me ^_^. And it was fun! The kids wanted to play another around so we did (I still didn't fare well result-wise lol) and my sister joined the fun. Who knew a memory game could be so much fun?! We will definitely be playing this game together again and more often at that! :)

I have the Sonic Memory game as well and have a very similar experience, actually!!

One of my friend's boyfriends requested use of my studio space to record sounds for a game he was working on, and I agreed and helped engineer the sound and set up the recording session.  It came out super great, and it was a lot of fun because it involved dropping heavy objects and making loud noises.  So after about an hour or two of recording, we finished and decided to unwind for a bit.  So I made the joke that we could play Sonic the Hedgehog Memory to pass the time, thinking they would scoff at the idea, but they actually took me up on it.  So for the first time, the cards were removed from their protective wrap and actually put to use.  It was a strangely crazy game, with one of my friends getting ridiculous amounts of pairs off the bat.  It was lots of fun and a memory I think I'll always remember.

As much as I like collecting Sonic stuff, even if it just sits on a shelf, I have to admit that it's a lot more interesting when the merchandise is put to good use.  In this case, it had just sort of been sitting there for some time (about three years maybe?) as decoration up until that point.

• Thumbs Up 6

Played a little Sonic Adventure 2 multiplayer with my girlfriend the other day, it was really fun. She doesn't care too much about Sonic, but it still meant the world to me that she agreed to play just a game of it with me.

• Thumbs Up 4