Awoo.

The "Name Something That You Actually Enjoyed About Sonic Recently" Topic

Tara

I played Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity again, after not playing it for a long time. I find it to be a really fun game. I really like  the track design and gravity mechanics. Just makes me wish there was a fourth Riders game, or at least a port of Free Riders without the Kinect.

• Thumbs Up 2

I started reading the comics again, friend of mine is really into his comics and comic art so thought I would give them a read again. Really enjoy both the current run of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe

I decided to play Knuckles Chaotix again after not having playing it for many years, and man, I love it just as much now as I did then. I don't expect many people to feel strongly about Chaotix, but I can't help but love it.

Aesthetically speaking, it's probably my favorite game. The sprite work is just a new kind of crazy, and the colors are so vibrant and really pop out at you. The general art direction is perfect in my eyes. The soundtrack is so good and I'm hard pressed to think of a single track that doesn't put a smile on my face. I love the crazy rubber banding. It's difficult to manage at first but once you get the hang of it I find it incredibly satisfying to fly and bounce through the air and the crazy amount of speed you can gain if you know what you're doing is exhilarating. I can see how this would be a turn off to people though.

The special stages are some of my favorite in the series. They're kind of like the ones from Sonic 2 or Heroes where you automatically move forward while avoiding spikes and what not, except your rings drain and they act as your timer. You collect the required amount of blue spheres at the end and you get a Chaos Ring. What's really beautiful about these special stages is that if you don't collect the required amount of blue spheres at the end you don't get automatically kicked out of the stage like in past or future games, instead the special stage loops around and you can take potentially more difficult paths. You only get kicked out if you fall off the stage or if your rings run out. I wonder why other special stages haven't followed the formula this one started...

Anyways, the large cast of characters is also incredibly appealing to me. Part of what got me hooked on Sonic to begin with was the expansive cast of colorful characters, so it's great to be able to play as some of my favorites the series has to offer. I mean come on, Knuckles, Mighty, Espio, Vector, and Charmy. I love all these guys as characters, but of course their unique abilities all come in very handy and helps add variety. 

Also, this game has something I wish was always present in the series, and it's that when you bounce off a spring, you're in a ball so you can actually hurt enemies! What a concept. It seems to me like that's how it always should have been, but nope. I know starting with SA1 there's those weird triple springs that make you bounce off in a ball but those are so few and far between...

Anyway, I know this game isn't without its faults. I know the weird maze-y level design turns people off, and I know the rubber band mechanic really turns people off. Still, find Knuckles Chaotix to be a really under appreciated little gem. It's fast, crazy, colorful, and at least to me it's lots of fun. I don't know why I waited so many years to replay it, but I'm sure glad I came back to it. I remember being so proud when I first got the good ending waaay back in like 2008 or something. It's definitely one of my favorite games ever.

tumblr_nscijqieoB1sin3gto5_400.gif

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 months later...

I went to a New Years' Eve party last night and had a really great, and totally unexpected, Sonic experience. It turns out that the kids of the family hosting the party are Sonic fans, a fact I was only dimly aware of before. The older brother (who's close to my age) had some Sonic games on his PC, and so I played the multiplayer mode with him on Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. I always won, too! Haha! x) (Especially impressive for Dr. R's MBM since I rarely play that game...I guess that comes from watching my younger sister, who's GREAT at it.) Not only was it fun, I think it actually meant a lot to both of us, since apparently neither of us know a lot of people in real life we can play Sonic games with. It's just special to unexpectedly meet someone you share a major interest with that means a lot to you, but which isn't necessarily super-common.

• Thumbs Up 5

As dumb as it sounds I'm actually looking forward to the days leading up to the Sonic Mania's release. Mainly because for the first time in a while it seems like a lot of folks are happy to be excited about a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 2