Awoo.

The Big General Spongebob Squarepants Thread!

Ryannumber1gamer

Old_SpongeBob_SquarePants_logo.png

Spongebob Squarepants, a series with two great movies, 4 great seasons, a great variety of excellent licensed games....and about 4 or 5 seasons of complete shit, but that's besides the point. Since SSMB only had a thread for Sponge Out of Water, I thought I'd make a general Spongebob thread so we could discuss the good of Spongebob, the bad of Spongebob, and make references :P

Firstly, anything Spongebob related can be discussed here, the cartoon, movies, games, comics etc. This is a general thread for it so feel free to discuss anything related to the series.

That said, I feel I should mention that the original movie is one of my most nostalgic animated movies. Everything in it is pretty much spot on, the music, animation, jokes, characters. It's really a great movie. The OST is also great.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spongebob was a fantastic show. Almost every episode in the first 3 seasons are great. Even seasons 4 and 5 have some real good episodes. 

I would like to discuss probably my favourite Spongebob episode ever: Can You Spare a Dime? 

3851319-4484505240-Can_Y.jpg

This episode I think is the pinnacle of Spongebob. Basically everything is done right. Not a second is wasted in this episode, there is constantly something happening. All the jokes are perfect, from the transition of Squidward thinking he's going to be successful to living in a box to the time card gags. 

This episode also has what I think is one of the greatest scenes in Spongebob ever: the one where Spongebob out of frustration starts CHOKING MR. KRABS. Like, damn. It really shows that Spongebob doesn't take shit when he gets pushed enough.

Speaking of that, this episode portrays Spongebob, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs just about perfectly. They are all in character and all react as you would expect in every situation. Mr. Krabs being cheap but not criminally cheap as he would become in later episodes, the cheapness being at just the right level with him firing Squidward over the dime, but hiring him back (although the whole argument over the dime starts again at the end),Spongebob being sympathetic and cheerful as he normally is, but really gets pushed to the breaking point by the end. And Squidward being arrogant but getting his comeuppance. 

Oh yeah, and we get to see Spongebob in a maid's outfit. That helps the episode's credibility too. 

tumblr_mfdfb2ICcm1qmt85zo2_1280.png

I don't think any other episode ever got this perfect with everything. 

Edited by Osmium
  • Thumbs Up 4

Almost every episode in the first 3 seasons are great. Even seasons 4 and 5 have some real good episodes. 

I would like to discuss probably my favourite Spongebob episode ever: Can You Spare a Dime? 

3851319-4484505240-Can_Y.jpg

This episode I think is the pinnacle of Spongebob. Basically everything is done right. Not a second is wasted in this episode, there is constantly something happening. All the jokes are perfect, from the transition of Squidward thinking he's going to be successful to living in a box to the time card gags. 

This episode also has what I think is one of the greatest scenes in Spongebob ever: the one where Spongebob out of frustration starts CHOKING MR. KRABS. Like, damn. It really shows that Spongebob doesn't take shit when he gets pushed enough.

Speaking of that, this episode portrays Spongebob, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs just about perfectly. They are all in character and all react as you would expect in every situation. Mr. Krabs being cheap but not criminally cheap as he would become in later episodes, the cheapness being at just the right level with him firing Squidward over the dime, but hiring him back (although the whole argument over the dime starts again at the end),Spongebob being sympathetic and cheerful as he normally is, but really gets pushed to the breaking point by the end. And Squidward being arrogant but getting his comeuppance. 

Oh yeah, and we get to see Spongebob in a maid's outfit. That helps the episode's credibility too. 

tumblr_mfdfb2ICcm1qmt85zo2_1280.png

I don't think any other episode ever got this perfect with everything. 

Can You Spare A Dime has always been one of my personal favourites as well. Seeing Squidward actually take advantage of Spongebob without even realizing it is just so funny. The fact that he can't even catch onto Spongebob's increasingly clear hints that he needs to get a job (to the point where he jumps on him, starts spitting on his face, and hits him) and yet Squidward still asks ''just what are you trying to say?!''

• Thumbs Up 3

There are a lot of great Spongebob episodes I can remember but some of the first one's I think of are: That episode where (I don't remember there name) Sandy wants to live life to the fullest. Do all these crazy things before her hibernation and of course brings Spongebob a long with her. And I remember this episode because of the end scene where everyone is hiding in Patrick's house and he screams "WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE!?!?!?!?!" Also another one I think of is the April Fools episode where Squidward can't say sorry to Spongebob. Also how can anyone talk about Spongebob and not talk about Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ucZsJQxbQ. These guys are like the Batman and Robin of Spongebob and actually I think it was in a flashback to when Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy were young I think they got Adam West and Burt Ward to do their voices and they are the original Batman and Robin from the 1966 TV Show.

I have a question in regards to the quality of SpongeBob episodes after Sponge Out of Water. I heard that the original writer for the series was coming back on after that movie. Has he come back to the show, and if he has, has the quality of newer episodes gotten better?

I have a question in regards to the quality of SpongeBob episodes after Sponge Out of Water. I heard that the original writer for the series was coming back on after that movie. Has he come back to the show, and if he has, has the quality of newer episodes gotten better?

Yes, he's returning with Season 10. I'm not sure about the episode quality currently though/

Yes, he's returning with Season 10. I'm not sure about the episode quality currently though/

Thanks for answering. Perhaps the quality of episodes will get better when Season 10 comes out then.

I didnt watch too much Spongebob, but i enjoyed all the episodes...i will start watching it again, because of it beign on nickelodeon along with boom

Apparently we're in season 9 still, but Stephen Hillenburg is now the executive producer. Also that's the latest episode to air so far.

Proof:

http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/SpongeBob-SquarePants-Season-10/Episode-12-Lost-in-Bikini-Bottom-Tutor-Sauce?id=61406

Tutor Sauce is the better of the 2 episodes and the video shows it in the opposite airing order. Tutor Sauce Aired first, followed by Lost in Bikini Bottom.

SpongeBob used to be my favorite show when I was younger! I don't really watch it anymore (I don't watch much TV now), but I still think some episodes were pretty funny! I agree that the newer SpongeBob episodes haven't been as good as the old ones, but I don't mind them too much! Also, when I was younger I had this game called "SpongeBob SquarePants: SuperSponge" for the PS1:

Did anyone here know about it before? It has a health system almost identical to the Sonic games (only the rings were replaced with golden spatulas). I used to enjoy it, but it doesn't look nearly as good as Sonic.

Edited by StarSonic64

SpongeBob used to be my favorite show when I was younger! I don't really watch it anymore (I don't watch much TV now), but I still think some episodes were pretty funny! I agree that the newer SpongeBob episodes haven't been as good as the old ones, but I don't mind them too much! Also, when I was younger I had this game called "SpongeBob SquarePants: SuperSponge" for the PS1:

Did anyone here know about it before? It has a health system almost identical to the Sonic games (only the rings were replaced with golden spatulas). I used to enjoy it, but it's not nearly as good as Sonic.

I knew about it, and have actually played both the PS1 and GBA versions. Pretty decent platformer in my opinion.

I knew about it, and have actually played both the PS1 and GBA versions. Pretty decent platformer in my opinion.

Yeah, I actually had it long before I got my first real Sonic game. It still looks pretty good though. I remember that some levels had a lot of bottomless pits, but other than that it was fun!

Assuming that you're referring to Stephen Hillenburg, he's not any of the original writers for the first three season (maybe he was, probably for only the first season, IDK), but he is the show's creator and the original showrunner (he served this role for the series' original run, he gave the role to Paul Tibbitt when it was uncancelled).

Apparently we're in season 9 still, but Stephen Hillenburg is now the executive producer. Also that's the latest episode to air so far.

Actually, he has (also) been the executive producer ever since the show started. After it was uncancelled, he took on an advisory role, reviewing each produced episode (yes, even the notoriously poor ones. Every episode that airs gets his approval). While he's now directly involved with the production of the show again, I don't think it was actually clarified what his (new) role is.

Edited by Señor Gabe

Can I just say that the animation for Sponge Out of Water is great?

Even the credits is full of references for the old fans of the series, including Sandy taking on a more karate style dance, and Squidward doing his old dances.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

November was a month of stuff, first Stan Lee, then Smash got leaked and now this...

this was a bad month in fandom history.

• 1 year later...

Rant coming up:

Honestly, i don't understand the current reverence for Spongebob. 10 years ago, I mostly saw people mention Spongebob as a funny cartoon, nothing more. But over the past few years, people have begun talking about the show in the same manner as they talk about classic Simpsons; as a genius masterpiece. The difference as I see it is that The Simpsons actually deserve that kind of praise. Spongebob, to me, is just a funny cartoon, nothing beyond that. I guess it has something to do with the fact that Spongebob was so extremely popular among kids about 15-20 years ago, and that those kids are now adults and have significant nostalgia goggles regarding the show. But seriously now. I grew up with the 1987 Ninja Turtles cartoon, and I love it to this day, but I would never try to argue that it was anything more than a nice piece of distraction for 7 year olds.

But I dunno, maybe there is something to Spongebob that I just don't see. In any case, it has definitely been influential, as the "cartoon featuring an overtly optimistic protagonist" has really taken of in recent years. I saw an episode of Unikitty recently, and you could almost consider the main character of that show a female/feline version of Spongebob.