Awoo.

Flash games topic

kdotj24

There are many flash games out there that don't get the attention they deserve. This topic will bring them to light. (All of my recommendations can be found on Kongregate.com)

First up, Crunchball 3000. It plays like Speedball, and is very fun to play.

Second, Crunchdown. It plays like Streets of Rage mixed with Kirby. Loads of fun.

Minions is an excellent co-op game that has you play as a robot, trying to destroy the other team's base. I used to play the hell out of this game when I was little, but now, the servers aren't as active. However, the wait to start a game is worth it, as it is a perfect blend of strategy, teamwork, and skill.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know for certain that I do most of my gaming through the browser now. It's like free-to-play that's actually free and with a much higher quality and genre output than mobile. What's not to like? xP As for some of my favorites:

0.jpg
Tower of Heaven

A fairly-difficult yet short pixel platformer aping the Gameboy color palette, featuring a big-head boy scaling a tower that's literally out to get him. Come for the kickass soundtrack by Flashygoodness, stay for the secret ending.

Solarmax-2-Can-You-Conquer-the-Galaxy.pn

Solarmax-2

An atmospheric RTS game where the goal is to conquer all of the planets in each solar system by sending out ships to colonize them. The more ships surrounding a planet the faster it will be colonized, the better it will be defended, and the more troops your army gains. But you only have so many troops, so try not to leave other planets undefended for too long! Includes variable difficulty to adjust the game to your skill.

hqdefault.jpg

Ripple Runner

More big-headed protagonist, kickass soundtrack goodness! This is a music game mixed disguised as an endless runner. Jump, run underneath platforms, and switch places with your reflection in the water to progress through the colorful locales, all to the catchy beat of the six stages. Try to earn all of the medals if you can! Infinite thanks to Sean for showing me this beaut. <3

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's worth pointing to the games of Mateusz Skutnik, particularly his Submachine and Daymare Town series, for creating such intensely stylised and individual takes on the adventure or escape genre.

But my real passion is for room escape games.  I've been following the genre since probably the beginning, the early days of Crimson Room and MOTAS (neither of which I think are still playable in their original form).  Escape games have become something of an industry now, endlessly churning out low-effort clones, but the best easily shine through, and with respect to the flawed classics of My Diamond Baby, Out File, and Gotmail, there really isn't much competition with the two creators who to me are at the top of the genre: Kotorinosu and Neutral, the latter in particular being responsible for probably the greatest escape games of all time.  Neutral's most recent game, Elements, was in the works for three and a half years, and it shows.

I don't know if this counts since it uses console games as a base, but Super Mario Crossover is such a great game. (Note: The link may not be the most recent version of the game) - I mean, talk about making your childhood dreams come true.  Just, having the ability to play as any of your favorite NES characters (minus Alfred Chicken, in case you were holding out on that) in a classic game that you love.  And not just in a sprite exchanging manner, either.  Their gameplay styles are completely transferred to the game.  Also, there are a variety of different tilesets you can choose from, from all the different franchises.  Not to mention, interchangeable music.  Add to this the fact that they managed to achieve this all on a relatively simple Flash applet, as opposed to a dedicated ROM, and that makes it all the more impressive.  There's just so much dedication to the project and the result is just incredible.  I still get a jolly out of playing it.

I can think of three right off the bat from HomestarRunner.com

stinkobox.png

Stinkoman 20X6 is a Mega Man styled platformer based on the in-universe future-timeline/anime that takes place "X0 (Exty) years from [2006]".  The game starts with Stinkoman fighting a giant robot and later fighting its brain.  Stinko then goes to fight a giant chicken and another giant robot, unaware that 1-up has learned that Pan-Pan has been abducted by a shadowy villain.  So far the game has 9 levels with three stages each.  Stages #-1 and #-2 are platforming stages while #-3 is the boss fight.  Every after the second mixes it up by having Level 3 take place in freefall collecting goodies, Level 4 having Stinko protecting 1-up from magma using the fist of the level 3 boss, Level 5 has 1-up on the moon looking for Pan-Pan before fighting Nebulon and getting kidnapped by the villain.  Level 8 is really Level -0, a parody of glitch levels such as the Minus World in SMB.  Level 9 switches it up entirely by being a SHMUP

.trogdorgame.png

50 levels of arcade-style burnination, with the difficulty ramping up the more you progress.  The game has a built-in player frustration commentary by way of Strong Bad commenting every so often about how this is the worst/best game he's ever played and by the K key causing our favorite e-mail checking luchador to kick the cabinet.

peasantsquest.png

A real long time ago, in the peasant kingdom of Peasantry, some people lived... in fear. You are Rather Dashing, a peasant wearing short pants, who returns from vacation to find his thatched-roof cottage BURNiNATED! You swear revenge and embark on an incredible journey to vanquish Trogdor once and for all.  Can one Peasant wearing short pants save the countryside from certain Burnination? YOU decide!!!

The game plays much like Sierra On-line's adventure games such as King's/Police/Space Quest and the lisenced Black Cauldron game,  Rather Dashing himself is based on King Gram and Taran and roams through a land based on the Kingdom of Daventry.  As the game is about getting to Trogdor since he missed the burnination of his house.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if this counts since it uses console games as a base, but Super Mario Crossover is such a great game. (Note: The link may not be the most recent version of the game) - I mean, talk about making your childhood dreams come true.  Just, having the ability to play as any of your favorite NES characters (minus Alfred Chicken, in case you were holding out on that) in a classic game that you love.  And not just in a sprite exchanging manner, either.  Their gameplay styles are completely transferred to the game.  Also, there are a variety of different tilesets you can choose from, from all the different franchises.  Not to mention, interchangeable music.  Add to this the fact that they managed to achieve this all on a relatively simple Flash applet, as opposed to a dedicated ROM, and that makes it all the more impressive.  There's just so much dedication to the project and the result is just incredible.  I still get a jolly out of playing it.

I love that game. Playing a Mario game as Samus is not something I ever expected to do in my lifetime, but here I am.

one flash game that a lot of old school lego fans likely remember is mnog better known as

MNOG.png

it was released back when the bionicle sets first came out  back in 2001 was and mainly used as a way to promote the bionicle sets when they first came out

basically it was a point and click adventure following the adventures of a matoran named takua exploring the varicose areas of the island and helping out with the villages

overall it was considered one of the best overall online games that lego has ever made and is almost always a good way to start off exploring the original bionicle story

though lego removed the original a long time ago on their website thanks to the bionicle fanbase mnolg as well as the other bionicle related flash and unity games are still kept safe on the biomediaproject website