Awoo.

Good Things About Bad Sonic Games.

The Chairman Of The Board

Hey guys this topic is about good things in bad Sonic games. I want you all to post what you think are redeeming factors of bad Sonic games (and I don't want everyone say the music. Everyone knows Sonic games have great music.). I think no matter how bad a game may be it at least has 1 redeeming factor like with Shadow The Hedgehog. I really like in that game how they bring you flashbacks of the A.R.K. because I really liked that Prof. Gerald story and I like how they tried to expand on that. Also I like (get into your freaking out mode) the... GUNS. Yes I like the guns in that game. I know they don't belong in a Sonic game but in games I like using guns because guns are fun ;);) but seriously I think using the guns in that game was fun because it was unique and I also think Shadow was originally intended to be the dark Anti-Sonic so it makes sense that he says (and I'm not saying I like it but it makes sense) "DAMN" and uses guns because Sonic would never do that. Now onto Sonic '06. Yes there are some things I like about '06. First off the glitches that aren't game breaking can be fun to use sometimes like the infinite jumping Sonic gem. Secondly "It's no use". This line was pre used in Sonic games though. At the end of Sonic's play through in Adventure 1 when he is fighting Dr. Eggman he says to Sonic "It's no use give up". Thirdly I like the addition of Silver in the game because I like him as a character and I think his story in the game is interesting like Knuckles' story in Adventure 1. The same way I think about Knuckles' past I think about Silver's. Like "Who were Silver's people who were destroyed?? Were they humans?? Other Hedgehogs?? How does Blaze fit into it all??". Also I like his character in the comics where he is trying to find the one who betrays The Freedom Fighters and that they replaced the "Ibliss Trigger" storyline with that one. I also really like in the comics when he accuses Antoine of being the one who betrays The Freedom Fighters and Sonic gets super pissed and drags him by the quills along the floor at Super Sonic speed (I mean that had to have hurt) into Antoine's hospital room.

Tommy_Turtle_Hospital_01.jpg

That just made me laugh. But I digress. So what do you guys think are redeeming factors in bad Sonic games???? Comment below.

Well this has been said plenty of times before but 06 had a pretty sweet soundtrack, my favorite tracks being Wave Ocean and Solaris Phase 2. That and it was pretty funny to see Shadow kick Silver in the back of the head.

Shadow the Hedgehog is quite bad game but I think that base gameplay is quite fun, it's slippery yes but I can tolerate it to a certain degree (even if it's worse than in Heroes). And the gun-gameplay works very well and makes healthbar enemies no problem. Amd I personally don't have problems with Shadow using a gun. As long as I only need to get to end of the level and level desing is somewhat acceptable, I can have fun with this game, becausenit still has that sense of speed what I want from Sonic game.

Sonic 06 on the other hand only has sense of speed with scripted events and boost pad, which that game has way too many. But I think that it has better controls than Shadow the Hedgehog or at least I can adapt to them better. Also I like how versatile Sonic is with his upgrades and gems. And level desing with Sonic is way better than in ShTH. Overall, there isn't also any moments in game which made me wanna ragequit (unlike in ShTH), not even the ball puzzle and Shadow's Kingdom Valley. As long as I play with Sonic I can have fun, not all the times but most. Game's music is also great, especially compared to it's predecessor (seriously, only level themes in ShTH that I remember are Westopolis (you know why) and Lava Shelter).

I wouldn't necessarily call any particular Sonic game bad, but for 06 there's quite a bit I'd go over. One little bit from 06 will be enough though.

I feel Silver is a really good character in Sonic 06. I also think that all of his actions were very level headed for someone in his position to be honest. In a world where Chaos reigns, and no civil order is intact, he's still managed to work up the courage to take the one chance he has to save his future. Even though said chance was misleading, it did eventually bring the result he initially set out to find, and that was only due to his stubbornness. Were it not for that determination, the world would be pretty much doomed. With that said, it's pretty clear that Silver isn't just some heartless monster set out for cold blood, or some dumb kid who doesn't know when someone is tricking him, it's really a matter of what his options are, and what the best course of action is. I sincerely doubt that if Silver actually asked Mephiles what he was actually doing he would outright tell him, and given that this is his only chance to save the future, I wouldn't complain either.

Also, the level design in 06 is really good for the most part. The only thing I would complain about were Silver's Ball Puzzle, and Shadow's Dusty Desert. Those were terrible. Everything else is pretty straightforward and well executed in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 4

While I do have my grievances with Shadow the Hedgehog's plot, one thing that I always liked was Gerald's message to Shadow in the Last Story. It offered a glimpse into how things were like before GUN essentially ruined everything and made Gerald into a more tragic figure by providing some context for him. Before he went insane, Gerald was a benevolent fellow who had the best intentions in mind for Shadow's creation--this is something that just gels with me, really.

• Thumbs Up 6

Chronicles' story direction and characterization felt a lot like the comics to me, and I like the comics. Even though the graphics are probably the worst in the series on a scale of model and texture this and that, I really liked the cartoony-but-sort-of-detailed artstyle it had, and I'm glad to see Fire and Ice embracing it in full forced, as evidenced by this shot:

image2015_0514_1344_1.bmp

I mention this shot a lot, but I really, really like those trees and that backdrop.

• Thumbs Up 2

The only good thing about sonic 06 was the fact that there were other playable characters. But if everyone had their own story mode, I'd probably play blaze's like a hundred times before I complete sonic's.

I felt that the atmosphere of fighting Solaris' second form (partly in due to the music) really did give that feeling that there was hope even with an unfairly powerful god on the loose.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is a good idea for a topic. I like this. 

Sonic '06 - As others have said, great soundtrack. Outside of that, the game is just so glitchy and bad that it becomes fun to laugh at, much like a silly, bad movie. It's kind of entertaining to see just how wrong things can get and it makes for great Let's Plays on youtube.

Secret Rings - Great graphics for Wii (the best during that time), solid but repetitive soundtrack and I liked the unique controls, although it really needed some fine tuning. The camera position did help pave the way for how future 3-D Sonic games would play. Oddly, it's a game I really enjoyed the first time through, but got more and more bored with when attempting replays.

Unleashed - IT'S GREAT!! SHUT UP!! :angry: Yeah, the Werehog levels are at least twice the size they should be and drag on forever and chasing medals sucks big time, but I still love, love, LOVE this game as it has some of the best 3-D Sonic levels of all time.

Black Knight - Very well written story and great "What a twist!" antagonist (IMO) along with a great soundtrack. Too bad it controlled horribly and the adding of additional knights actually helped RUIN the second half of the game.

Lost World - Ooooh! So close! Taking a cue from recent Mario games with 3-D planet like levels with their own gravity. The idea of having a seperate button for speed isn't bad either. There are some really fun levels and some frustrating ones. Still, a decent Sonic game marred by over-complex controls with a lot of good ideas, but with bad execution. The DLC levels were pretty awesome though.

Rise of Lyric - Despite it's glitches, it's very easy to get through and I liked mixing up characters during combat to keep things fresh. It had some good ideas like switching around characters to get through puzzles. Sadly, it's speed sections were the worst thing about the game. Still, I can honestly say I've played worse Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Heroes gave me a playable Cream the rabbit and the slick as hell Neo Metal Sonic design. And it also reintroduced the Chaotix after a long time so that's three good things about that game.

Sonic Chronicles payed a cute homage to the western sonic media and I really like Shade the Echidna. I'm a sucker for straight ladies. ( The straight man troupe is what I'm talking about only in lady form just in case you were raising an eye brow.)

Edited by Mightyray
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Heroes probably has some of the best level tropes in any sonic game post 2000. Stuff like Grand Metropolis, Hang Castle and Egg Fleet were all pretty cool settings. Settings that I would absolutely not mind revisiting in future Sonic games (in fact, for a long time I was hoping they'd show up for Generations DLC....)

• Thumbs Up 3

I like Sonic 4's World Map and ability to pick any Act you wanted after clearing the first level.

Also, I liked the twist on Episode 1's Special Stages, where you control the stage itself instead of Sonic.

SatBK has without question the best writing this series has ever seen. It's characterization is practically flawless and it's story appealing and well executed with a truly surprising twist.

'06 has an excellent soundtrack. It's event music is also noteworthy as being great.

G-Sonic i.e Sonic Blast has a decent soundtrack. All it suffers from is bland instrumentation.

Shadow the Hedgehog has a great degree of comedy factor. Unintentional yes. But hysterical.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 1 month later...

Question~games I think are bad or one games the fans think are bad? so i can answer the question :)

It's all a matter of opinion, so you can certainly post about a game you think is bad, even if many others will disagree with you.

Case in point, I think Sonic Unleashed is just painful to fully play through. However, despite the overall messy day stages, and out of place Werehog sections, along with the just plain god-awful medal collecting set up that hinders progress, I do love the game's sense of scale and world-building. It tries to make the real world cartoony in a Sonic game, rather than humanizing Sonic with a realistic art style.

tumblr_nds8aeuO8r1ssrhpyo1_1280.jpg

That's just gorgeous, and I love how Sonic Team researched real world locations. Unleashed is pretty much my favorite setting in a Sonic game, and the sheer scope compliments the visuals perfectly.

• Thumbs Up 3

^^ Okay.

Sonic and Knuckles has a good final boss fight.

Sonic 3's special stages are better than other games and getting emeralds was fun. The sheilds to.

Sonic Advance has a intresting soundtrack and final boss (plus playing as Amy is fun)

Sonic Advance 2 has Egg Uptopia, plus the soundtrack, also fast speeds

Sonic Advance 3 has teams and great soundtrack

Sonic Adventure 2 has great Sonic gameplay, good soundtrack and great Eggman playthrough

Sonic CD has a great soundtrack

Sonic 2 has awesome use for the rolling moves

3DS Sonic Generations kind of disappointed me, but its level and boss exclusives make it valuable. (Mushroom Hill was stunning, and Biolizard is probably my favourite Sonic boss period, just for a couple of examples.)

I also agree with Vertekins, I watched some Shadow the Hedgehog cutscenes again the other day and it was unbelievably hilarious.