Awoo.

Sega's Secret Sonic Bible that we'll probably never see "TO MARS!"

Badnik Mechanic

42 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I wish I could take my uni as seriously as some take this series.

Eh, or I can criticize elements of the series that I don't actively like. Just because something is meant for children, doesn't mean we can't criticize elements of it, it also doesn't mean we can't criticize  unfortunate elements of it that happen to be racist, sexist ect. Because if that was impossible most people who looked like me in cartoons would still be horrible stereotypes. Criticism is how things get better,criticism is how we realize the things we have just been putting in our entertainment might not be as good as we thought, it isn't so much as taking seriously as its having an active interest in your entertainment.

And please don't try and  devalue my opinion with drive by pointless statements. 

Thank you 

You can criticise it as being sexist all you want.

Just don't expect me to take it seriously when it's super forms being akin to sexual equality in Sonic the fucking hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

You can criticise it as being sexist all you want.

Just don't expect me to take it seriously when it's super forms being akin to sexual equality in Sonic the fucking hedgehog.

So in order. 

One, what characters can and cant do in a series depending on who they are, what they look like and what gender they are. Can have , intentional or nonintentional implications. These implications can sometimes be unfortunate. 

Two, if we decided that everything was " just a cartoon " or " this is just comics" nothing what change. Just because its in cartoon doesn't mean its kind of fucked up. If you are unable to take that seriously to some degree, why are you even on this forum. Why are on any sonic forum, because the implication here is, you already like sonic a lot more seriously, than most people, to the degree in which you take an active interest to join communities to talk about that. So your statement is already contradictory by nature of you even being on this forum. 

So are you going to make an actual point, are you going to do this "drive by pointless statements thing" here all day?

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Two, if we decided that everything was " just a cartoon " or " this is just comics" nothing what change. If you are unable to take that seriously to some degree, why are you even on this forum. Why are on any sonic forum, because the implication here is, you already like sonic a lot more seriously, than most people, to the degree in which you take an active interest to join communities to talk about that. So your statement is already contradictory by nature of you even being on this forum. 

Mate... I'm not the one trying to convince people that Iizuka and possibly Naka are somehow sexist or backwards with their stance on gender equality because they have a rule about Super forms being limited to male hedgehogs.

Where as others have pointed out, it's almost certainly a narrative/story reason otherwise what would be the point in anyone having that ability when anyone could resolve the final boss at the end of the game.

Plus everyone knows that if Omachoa went super he would punch a hole through the game world and our own.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Mate... I'm not the one trying to convince people that Iizuka and possibly Naka are somehow sexist or backwards with their stance on gender equality because they have a rule about Super forms being limited to male hedgehogs.

One , you are doing that. " are you calling me a _____ist thing " thing, they don't have to be women hating sexists, they can however use story elements that are sexist. They can also however be exposed to a lot of entertainment that values a male hero more than a female one ( like DBZ for example) and that can influence their futur artistic endevour by propagating similar themes.  Along with that, restricting a power up to one gender,  for no reason is kind of sexist. Especially when that power up , makes that other gender, more important.  Yes even though its restricted to a race, its still kind of messed up , that the men of that race are the only ones who get to be super heroes. 

Where as others have pointed out, it's almost certainly a narrative/story reason otherwise what would be the point in anyone having that ability when anyone could resolve the final boss at the end of the game.

You realize you can creative narratives that are kind of sexist right. You can do it with out knowing it , it can be subconscious in a way. " Its the way things are" some people put it as. 

Also wanna point out, used other examples of the sonic series treating female characters poorly above.. .you seem have ignored that though. There are also more examples yet to be used.

Plus everyone knows that if Omachoa went super he would punch a hole through the game world and our own.

If Omochao went super, he would help you in all games whether you wanted it or not. 

So @Shadowlax what if they 

· do this for story purposes later on

· don't think that with how every other female -minus blaze- might not be able to handle the extreme surge of energy from that

Bonus: Or what if you remember that TIKAL while dead or vanished or whatever still used the power of the chaos emeralds as a female

I think it's ridiculous to limit super forms to the male hedgehogs. They're basically being treated like the saiyans of the series. I can understand that giving super forms to everyone would've been ridiculous and make it lose its charm, but IMO Silver shouldn't have gotten one, and Knuckles should've gotten his back (and no... I don't mean a golden shield). Why should male hedgehogs be gods?

The two worlds thing makes zero sense to me. I understand that Sonic and co. are fictional, but their environment has to make a little sense and be more consistent. That's why I believe the world Sonic and friends live on should've been Mobius. Now, I know what you're thinking, "but that would make Eggman the only human", just change his backstory. Maybe he made a spaceship and crash landed on Mobius, where he becomes xenophobic and tries to take over. Having the games take place on Earth and some unknown planet/world at the same time just makes no sense.  Lol A gate? Just make one planet and leave it at that.

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

You remember that time they literally murdered an entire and entire arc full of people to hide their own bullshit and then trapped a living sentient life in the basement of a government facility in a comatose state for 50 years. That's evil , that is what fucking sith would do.

No, that's the kind of thing that actual world governments would do and have done in real life. As is the other things outlined in your post about Adventure 2's plot.

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

One , you are doing that. " are you calling me a _____ist thing " thing, they don't have to be women hating sexists, they can however use story elements that are sexist. They can also however be exposed to a lot of entertainment that values a male hero more than a female one ( like DBZ for example) and that can influence their futur artistic endevour by propagating similar themes.  Along with that, restricting a power up to one gender,  for no reason is kind of sexist. Especially when that power up , makes that other gender, more important.  Yes even though its restricted to a race, its still kind of messed up , that the men of that race are the only ones who get to be super heroes.

What is the title of the franchise again?

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Chaos force isn't really a thing in the games though, you just have the Chaos Emeralds with one power, and the Master Emerald which can neutralise them somehow. Knuckles doesn't have a connection to the Chaos Emeralds directly (outside of non-canon bonus stuff in Sonic 3), so no super form for him, by that method. 

What also weakens it is that neutralising the Chaos Emeralds isn't exclusive to the Master Emerald, so it doesn't need to be the same chaos power itself to work on them. Eggman technically did it in Unleashed via 100% artificial means. 

I always wanted to know how Sonic has a connection to the chaos force. I keep hearing because he is the embodiment of chaos. How is he the embodiment and how does he have a connection?

SEGA's been pretty obvious about not wanting anyone other than Sonic to have a super form, but Super Shadow and Silver are (or were, around the (presumed) time this "rule" was implemented) a bit too recent to sweep under the rug compared to, y'know, Tails and Knuckles that one time in 1994.

These days I honestly don't really mind Sonic/Shadow/Silver being the only ones to have super forms. That said, if others were to have super modes, you could always give them different transformation methods and naming schemes, ala Sol Emeralds and Burning Blaze. For one thing, that's probably one reason she's the only exception, but as a bonus, it'd mean more variety than just Super ______ all the time. I highly doubt anything like that would happen, especially with pre-existing characters, but...eh, I'm just spitballing here.

• Thumbs Up 5

34 minutes ago, Tornado said:

What is the title of the franchise again?

Sonic, but that really means nothing. To give an example, the legend of zelda is named after, well zelda, but zelda seldom gets to do anything , its often a point people argue when considering future games when wanting to play as other characters or possibly interpreting link as other genders. And on the flip side there are a bunch of franchises named after A character where you play , watch, read as bunches of different characters that do cool shit , different genders too

So, If I may ask, what is your point?

Because if your point is " Well its called sonic " , that's not a good point. I hope i'm interpreting this wrong. 

1 hour ago, Zoroark & Flare said:

So @Shadowlax what if they 

· do this for story purposes later on

· don't think that with how every other female -minus blaze- might not be able to handle the extreme surge of energy from that

Bonus: Or what if you remember that TIKAL while dead or vanished or whatever still used the power of the chaos emeralds as a female

Why can't any  other female " survive the surge of energy " ,  why is the only character who is a woman that could only go super almost got her super privileges removed. To be a side kick to another character, if sonic 06 was successful she would be silver's side kick. Why is it special that's she's the only girl who can go super, if someone random asshole from the future who no one likes can go super, why cant more girls go super?

Why make the arbitrary gender spit , even in the first place? Why?

9 minutes ago, Celestia said:

These days I honestly don't really mind Sonic/Shadow/Silver being the only ones to have super forms. That said, if others were to have super modes, you could always give them different transformation methods and naming schemes, ala Sol Emeralds and Burning Blaze. For one thing, that's probably one reason she's the only exception, but as a bonus, it'd mean more variety than just Super ______ all the time. I highly doubt anything like that would happen, especially with pre-existing characters, but...eh, I'm just spitballing here.

I think this would be cool if they did this, not only having everyone be unique  would add a value to other characters. In the case of say shadow, he's a character you can go back and totally say " he got new super form because he's an alien " or knuckles who possibly has a different connection to chaos emeralds and justify him having a different type of super form. Although I would much prefer the idea of chaos emeralds not existing, i'm a fan of how sonic does that. By taking them away , what makes folks special is just their talents and not connection to random maguffin. But yeah, I like your idea

( also I don't know, if I were making toys that would probably be a good way to sell toys) 

And on the unconscious thing, i'm not gonna sega and sonic team are filled with horrible sexists who hate women, but there's just enough stuff in sonic who's explanation is " Because girl " when I gets a bit unfortunate. That said again, Boom amy and sticks are great strides, so... Hopefuly that continues because those two are dope. 

Why make the arbitrary gender spit , even in the first place? Why?

It's unfortunately worded (assuming "male hedgehogs only" is how SEGA phrased it?? I honestly don't remember because we heard about this years ago--does anyone have the exact quote?), but I think it's safe to assume the intent is "The only characters we consider to have canon super forms are these three, who are 'male hedgehogs'." It's not that that's what makes them special, it's that it was faster to specify that instead of saying "Sonic, Shadow, and Silver".

For the record, I don't disagree that this franchise treats the girl characters badly. I just don't think Not Having Super Forms is an example of that, if only because SEGA excluded everyone that isn't those three + Blaze. And that includes Tails and Knuckles who sort of* had super forms at one point.

Spoiler

*I say "sort of" because in retrospect Super Tails and Super/Hyper Knuckles seem very Non-Canon Bonus-y from the start. I mean, their designs don't change (i.e. colour swap & some other details here and there) the way Sonic, Shadow, Blaze, and Silver do, they kinda just...flash on and off.

• Thumbs Up 2

why in the name of robotniks blue spheres are we unironically talking about gender and racial ethics in sonic

super forms were a mistake

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

So, If I may ask, what is your point?

It's not an "arbitrary gender split." It's "narrative focus." The series has over a dozen male characters. Since the storylines of the classic titles have been irrelevant for nearly twenty years now, the three playable characters who happened to have games revolve around their actions also happen to have been the only ones to have shown super forms; to the extent that the fact that they could do so also happened to be major plot points in their respective storylines when it was first revealed.

The series really only has three repeat female characters. Whether that is considered a problem or not, only one of them has ever really been very relevant to a game's story and directly comparable to the one the series is about, and that one also happens to have had a form like the super forms as well. It's doubtful this game franchise, that spent a good decade ripping off every shonen narrative device in existence, merely coincidentally had it so the characters that were most like cliched shonen protagonists are the ones who have specific kind of shonen-y story set pieces occur to them.

Hence why the series is called "Sonic the Hedgehog" and not "Amy Rose" is relevant. If Sega wanted to dip into the Adventure 2 well again, I don't doubt they could come up with another female character with a super form equivalent for everyone to be surprised about just as soon as they would a male one. Word of God doesn't really mean dick in this series and never really has, so someone from Sega saying "only male hedgehogs can be super" doesn't mean much; even assuming it is an official statement that was interpreted correctly.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's also not inconceivable that SEGA may move towards there being some sort of genetic component to chaos energy manipulation that is for some reason particularly strong in male hedgehogs (which would also neatly explain the otherwise somewhat random choice of Gerald Robotnik using the hedgehog as the basis for the Ultimate Lifeform).

This would allow them to maintain a narrative focus for Super forms as mentioned by Tornado while providing a reason that would make sense in-universe.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

It's not an "arbitrary gender split." It's "narrative focus."

Your narrative focus can be  on an arbitrary gender split,

The series really only has three repeat female characters. Whether that is considered a problem or not, only one of them has ever really been very relevant to a game's story and directly comparable to the one the series is about, and that one also happens to have had a form like the super forms as well.

And it almost immediately got taken away, and kind of never got referenced again. And she's the only one, and I think maybe that's a bit of problem. 

It's doubtful this game franchise, that spent a good decade ripping off every shonen narrative device in existence, merely coincidentally had it so the characters that were most like cliched shonen protagonists are the ones who have specific kind of shonen-y story set pieces occur to them.

Yeah, its still kind of shitty its mostly dudes and the onetime it was a girl they fucked it up. 

Hence why the series is called "Sonic the Hedgehog" and not "Amy Rose" is relevant.

It still isn't. because you can just include instances that make female characters more important,( because although they messed it up right after, they did try it once )  but ok. 

If Sega wanted to dip into the Adventure 2 well again, I don't doubt they could come up with another female character with a super form equivalent for everyone to be surprised about just as soon as they would a male one.

They could , maybe. But the last time they did that they almost immediately took it away to serve a male character, and proceed to then to procceded for quite a while to not reference that characters previous existence, nor their ability to go super. So please forgive me, if don't believe that really. 

Word of God doesn't really mean dick in this series and never really has, so someone from Sega saying "only male hedgehogs can be super" doesn't mean much; even assuming it is an official statement that was interpreted correctly.

It kind of does, the word of god changes from time to time, but its very much relevant, and there are constants. The guy's designing sonic boom, and the folks writing the comic books do have guidelines some stricter than others. But there is definitely a " This is how this works right now" situation on what they can or cannot reference or include. It changes it evolves, but it exists. 

39 minutes ago, Nestor said:

It's also not inconceivable that SEGA may move towards there being some sort of genetic component to chaos energy manipulation that is for some reason particularly strong in male hedgehogs

Why that genetic mutation is only specific to men, is a question I will ask though. 

(which would also neatly explain the otherwise somewhat random choice of Gerald Robotnik using the hedgehog as the basis for the Ultimate Lifeform.

This is actually super interesting for another reason.

This would allow them to maintain a narrative focus for Super forms as mentioned by Tornado while providing a reason that would make sense in-universe.

I don't think in regards to why its just dudes, wouldn't make sense. ( and it still wouldn't make sense for echidna's to have little to no connection despite guarding the damn things ). 

But it is interesting for other reasons, while I don't agree with some of your points. You still have very good points and ideas. Good show. 

For me, this "only male hedgehogs" thing comes down to whether it's descriptive or prescriptive. If it's just describing the situation, where the only characters known to have Super forms happen to be male hedgehogs, but in theory other people could too, I'm mostly fine with that. If it's prescriptive, saying that there is something about being a male hedgehog that allows them to have Super forms and no one who isn't a male hedgehog could...that's a really weird reason. And I'm coming at this from a position of wanting to limit forms and who has them as much as possible, so I'm not saying I want more characters to have Super forms, just that the reason for a character being able to wield infinite power should be something more meaningful than sex or species.

58 minutes ago, Nestor said:

It's also not inconceivable that SEGA may move towards there being some sort of genetic component to chaos energy manipulation that is for some reason particularly strong in male hedgehogs (which would also neatly explain the otherwise somewhat random choice of Gerald Robotnik using the hedgehog as the basis for the Ultimate Lifeform).

Ech. I really don't see any good coming from a reveal like that...like, what's the meaning to draw from that? Good wins not because of its virtues but because of its species?

• Thumbs Up 6

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

But it is interesting for other reasons, while I don't agree with some of your points. You still have very good points and ideas. Good show. 

Many thanks! :)

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Why that genetic mutation is only specific to men, is a question I will ask though.  

I think you're perhaps you're looking at this from the wrong angle - SEGA haven't decided that only male hedgehogs can go Super because girls are icky or something, it's because they only want the main hero to do it so that it's special rather than being possible for everyone and their dog, i.e. narrative focus.

Shadow can do it too as he's the Ultimate Lifeform and Silver... they kind of wrote themselves into a corner with him and had to have him do it so he didn't just drop off the end of '06. Thus, drawing the line at them, the main thing connecting them is their gender and species, hence the delineation.

It should also be noted that Knux does actually have a connection with the Master Emerald, being able to sense it and so forth.

• Thumbs Up 2

They could limit the number of characters with Super forms with a not-stupid reason, though. Or with no reason at all, as they have done for years.

• Thumbs Up 1

And it almost immediately got taken away, and kind of never got referenced again. And she's the only one, and I think maybe that's a bit of problem.

Burning Blaze's most recent appearance was in Sonic Rush Adventure, which came out almost a year after Sonic '06; the form's lack of appearances since has everything to do with the expiration of the Sonic Rush subseries, which as far as anyone can tell was entirely due to poor sales figures.  Come to think of it, Burning Blaze must have had more canon appearances than Super Silver.

On 1/5/2017 at 3:39 PM, VEDJ-F said:

Chaos force isn't really a thing in the games though, you just have the Chaos Emeralds with one power, and the Master Emerald which can neutralise them somehow. Knuckles doesn't have a connection to the Chaos Emeralds directly (outside of non-canon bonus stuff in Sonic 3), so no super form for him, by that method. 

What also weakens it is that neutralising the Chaos Emeralds isn't exclusive to the Master Emerald, so it doesn't need to be the same chaos power itself to work on them. Eggman technically did it in Unleashed via 100% artificial means. 

Well now, I know Chaos Force is a term used in the comics, at least I still think it's being used.

But I'm just using the term for a link to chaos energy, I just feel like it would make more sense to have the ability of a super form unlocked by having some kind of link to what makes a super form necessary.

Again, I want to say that I think the whole idea of Sonic, Shadow, and Silver having forms because they represent Past, Present, and Future is a great idea. Just hopefully they can make the roles more obvious in the games, if that makes sense.

I think the fact that Knuckles is the guardian of a gem more powerful than the Chaos Emeralds would make him a more than acceptable user of the super form technique. See what I'm saying here? Being the guardian is his link.

Also I want to point out that what you said about Dr. Eggman is pretty awesome, I totally overlooked that when playing Unleashed.

20 hours ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

I always wanted to know how Sonic has a connection to the chaos force. I keep hearing because he is the embodiment of chaos. How is he the embodiment and how does he have a connection?

Something about absorbing so many power rings. I think you heard that from Death Battle, lol.

17 minutes ago, FantasticMrRobb said:

Well now, I know Chaos Force is a term used in the comics, at least I still think it's being used.

But I'm just using the term for a link to chaos energy, I just feel like it would make more sense to have the ability of a super form unlocked by having some kind of link to what makes a super form necessary.

Just as a minor answer, it isn't used any more in the comic, not since the reboot realigned everything. But that ditched their own original definition of chaos force to begin with since they went massively out of control with the Chaos Emerald nonsense. 

Again, I want to say that I think the whole idea of Sonic, Shadow, and Silver having forms because they represent Past, Present, and Future is a great idea. Just hopefully they can make the roles more obvious in the games, if that makes sense.

To be fair, I can't really see how they can make it any more obvious. Shadow's character is heavily backed up by his origin story, Silver is explicitly a time traveler from the future in every appearance he's made, and Sonic's "live for the moment" attitude perfect embodies the present. Eggman Nega was even taken from Blaze to be made more Silver's nemesis, so the equivalent Eggmen can fit the theme too. 

I think the fact that Knuckles is the guardian of a gem more powerful than the Chaos Emeralds would make him a more than acceptable user of the super form technique. See what I'm saying here? Being the guardian is his link.

I see what you're saying, but that isn't how Sonic Team or the games see it. Heck, way back in SA1, Knuckles even wanted to take the Chaos Emeralds to Sonic explicitly because he wanted his advice on them (in the Japanese script, he wonders whether he should give them to Sonic, both having the same implication that Sonic is the one who knows their potential and can use them). He can use the Master Emerald all he wants, but if he can't do anything with the Chaos Emeralds himself, he's got bob hope of utilising them for a super form. 

I wonder if that line was included explicitly to de-confirm Knuckles having a super form. 

Also I want to point out that what you said about Dr. Eggman is pretty awesome, I totally overlooked that when playing Unleashed.

It is impressive. For all his giddy plans it's easy to miss what feats he does to achieve them sometimes. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 1/5/2017 at 8:15 PM, Indigo Rush said:

why in the name of robotniks blue spheres are we unironically talking about gender and racial ethics in sonic

super forms were a mistake

Well it's not because it shouldn't be talked about. Art isn't created in a vacuum and it does tend to mirror our culture. Art is culture after all. 

It's a really weirdly worded detail here in the Sonic Bible, that we still haven't seen probably because it's extremely confusing for most people to parse, and in light of a ton of very progressive art in culture and diversity making strides in today's culture. Things like Steven Universe exist now and kids are perfectly cool with seeing a woman or anyone who isn't a white male guy saving the day. Kids have even been asking for representation because there should totally be more representation of real life people. 

Now, we're talking animal cartoon anime games here. It's nonsensical, sure. But Zootopia also now exists. Culture has evolved. People are asking for higher standards. This isn't out of nowhere. Things get better over time and a little detail like "these male hedgehogs" or poor wording like "male hedgehogs (only)" takes some people by surprise and not in a good way. 

I take that as a balance of power of the Sonic Universetm since Sonic is all about going with the flow and freedom, you know? But at the same time, other friends of his should also have a chance and it honestly kind of sucks that Sonic always is the one saving the day. I miss getting games like Tails Adventures and Robotnik's Puyo Puyo Knockoff Machine. I get that Sonic is the star, but should the world always revolve around him? I'm not saying change anything radically, but you know it's things like Force sensitive users in the Star Wars universe. Why can't we have some characters who are Emerald Sensitive? What happened to Knuckles being in tune with Chaos Emerald energy, anyways? He's steeped in all kinds of Emerald knowledge, even if he can be a total goof, you'd think he'd be more connected to this stuff than Sonic just because of his heritage and dedication to keeping the balance and making sure that these MacGuffins land in the hands of someone untrustworthy. (This may is also why Sonic Unleashed's narrative ignorance of Knuckles felt really weird to me)

People think. Some over think. This is going to happen. 

But yeah, I think Super Forms were a mistake too, hahahahaa. It's a way too common and convenient Deus Ex Plot Device that magically solves the plot. Kids can take a more complex plot than that. 

I hope we cool, haha 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/5/2017 at 9:23 PM, Tornado said:

The three playable characters who happened to have games revolve around their actions also happen to have been the only ones to have shown super forms.

100% what Tornado says.

At a certain point you have to consider the real world reasons for the super forms. Shadow was created for Sonic to have an evil twin type character. The story makes him a hedgehog for whatever reason they want to make up. The real reason he's a hedgehog is because Sonic is a hedgehog. So the evil twin, obviously, will be a hedgehog too. Silver is a future twin character. So he is a hedgehog too. They're all based on Sonic, from the popularity and design angle. The story in this series comes after the design.

Also, as main characters in the games they come from, they end the games with a super form. That's how all the main characters end the games. So when people say there should be female super forms, they really just mean there should be more female main characters. It's not a cause without merit, but I'm just saiyan saying. Blaze was a main character in Rush, and she got a super form. The story says it's because she uses her world's own Emeralds. But really, it's just because she's a playable main character.

Also, one afterthought. Knuckles was introduced in, and had his own story in S3&K. That's probably the only reason he has a super form in that game. They might have given Tails one at that point just because they could. I'd even say that just because a character has a super form in one game, it doesn't guarantee that we'll ever see that form again. Because the gameplay creates the super form for its characters whenever it feels necessary. Trying to sort the story reasons doesn't make sense because they'll just make up the reasons for super forms anyways.

if they decide to make Tails super again tho I want some kinda super form Tails mech

• Thumbs Up 1

Imagine if SEGA revealed that the two worlds are actually Classic Sonic's world and Modern Sonic's world. Basically one world is where Classic Sonic came from, (having bright, colorful and surreal environments.) and the other being where Modern Sonic came from. (Having still surreal but more realistic visuals.)  at the same time.) I'll at least explain why the two look different and why Classic can just visit without a time paradox. Hahahahaha would that be so stupid if Sega actually did that? Sadly enough that would probably make more sense then the current two worlds thing we have right now.

Edit: Damn you Sega and Sonic Team!