Awoo.

[ARTWORK] Jhreamer's General/MOBIUS Concept Art

Jhreamer

I'm getting help from a few places and this message board looks like is has a fantastic art section. This should be amazing.

I have several things to show at this point, but I'll spread them out through a few posts.

I've been planning and building a Sonic story for 8 years. That's almost half of my lifetime. Unfortunately, college happened. So instead of honing my ability to bring everything to life, I was sidetracked for years pursuing things I didn't want to do. I've finally seemed to snap out of it, and I'm going to start on my true calling. I have messages that the world needs to see. This Sonic manga is how it's all meant to begin. I will not rest until my artistic ability is sufficient to tell my story.

It was a fairly rough start. I hadn't been drawing AT ALL for a long period of time leading up to a few days ago, and I have very sparse discipline. But it also showed promise.

First I tried an action pose (weird decision...lol). This shows Tails at a specific point in the manga. This is pretty much my first time playing with proximity perception (closeness of objects relative to each other -- is that what it's called?) and I did so without reference. So some things look wonky. Also, something weird happened to his brow. Don't know how I didn't catch it. This took probably 45 minutes...regrettable.

w7d994.jpg

Then I attempted a portrait of a human character. This is one of the wonkiest ones I've done thus far, but it helped a lot.

akib6f.jpg

The obvious next step is a disembodied Sonic head, right? This was the last thing I did that day, on a whim.

121rjlw.jpg

I'll cut it off there for now.

I really, REALLY like this story, and I want to create this manga with a professional anime style. I know I can achieve these things. But I'll be extremely helped by any feedback and advice! I'll try to keep this thread quite updated.

The road to MOBIUS: EMPIRE has begun.

• Thumbs Up 7

Don't know if I have a lot of advice, but that Tails and that human head show a lot of promise.

Wow! What awesome drawings you have! So you're creating a Sonic manga that's pretty cool! I like to see it when it is finished. Keep up the good work! You have amazing art skills! ;) 

Much thanks.

A few more things now. This was actually the first thing I drew, but I forgot about it. A Tails you're more familiar with.

2r7y99l.jpg

Then an early version of a female portrait. I supremely messed up the adjustments, so I'd rather show this until I can get it right. That was you can see my editing process anyway.

11889473_10153228292403710_6826271312968

And now for probably my best work yet. A new character kind of materialized out of my mind, and this is also my first attempt at actual shading during these sessions. I think he's a jackal.

35aocat.jpg

The train has left Station Square.

Edited by JohnTheDreamer
  • Thumbs Up 3

Messing with male anatomy. The same character as the male portrait from earlier. He might be too meaty for a self-sustaining street-living orphan. The ratio between strength and muscle tends to be deceiving in many real people.

chase anatomy small.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

The finished versions of these sketches will likely be a set of promotional images for my manga. They're mirror images except for the poses. The character in front is active while the one in back is neutral.

sonic and tails promo smaller.jpg

tails and sonic promo smaller.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I really surprised myself with this one. It was my first serious attempt drawing a vehicle of any sort. Obviously I needed a reference. But it worked out.

tornado in flight smaller.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic's detached head was lonely and needed a friend. Eyes are too tall.

tails head shrunk edit.jpg

Edited by JohnTheDreamer

That face looked simply horrible. Here's one with adjustments. Eyes might still need some shrinking.

tails head shrunk.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Rough first stab at sketching myself in anime style. My body type is very odd and thus difficult for me to draw.

10372794_10152530037378710_4998080107230

89abe30e6395ecb5d334e896aab4d96a.png

me lol shrunk.jpg

Edited by JohnTheDreamer
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

School happened.

But I've been doodling in class, so my skill hopefully hasn't dwindled. I'll post some of the works I did in my notes, but here's something I whipped up in 15 minutes because Tails is pissed I haven't drawn him in a while.

2d949zq.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

• 1 month later...

Gotta update with a very exciting bit of news. Chapter 1 is underway. Like, actually in progress. Look. Attached.

It sucks right now. A lot of work is ahead. But I'm finally doing it, after almost half a lifetime of planning. It's very surreal.

I'll be creating a new thread for the comic once I finish the first chapter.

Chapter 1 Pages 3 and 4.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I need to practice digital art to get in gear for my "side project", which is animating Archie scenes. I have some serious work ahead of me (obviously).

Started by trying to "ink" and color my avatar.

tails_ticked_eyeview3_crop.thumb.png.e21

Then tried some anime-esque effects...I'm a total noob in Photoshop.

tails_ticked_eyeview3_crop_effects2.thum

• Thumbs Up 3

Between working on panels, I'm grinding out my skills without using references. You can tell I've never really drawn Knuckles before.

56859b0a2c2f7_noreferencepractice.thumb.

But this is promising. I never could have done something this accurate even last year.

• Thumbs Up 3

On August 18, 2015 at 8:05 AM, JohnTheDreamer said:

The finished versions of these sketches will likely be a set of promotional images for my manga. They're mirror images except for the poses. The character in front is active while the one in back is neutral.

sonic and tails promo smaller.jpg

tails and sonic promo smaller.jpg

I really like this style. Have you ever played the original Sin and Punishment? Your art is like a cross between it and Sonic. Thats a badass lookin Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you so much! Really means a lot at this point. That was back when I was first starting into this practice stage, and it was very exciting to capture the feel I envisioned.

More work without references (except for the handgun). DRAWING IS FUN. That bird's eye view of Tails shows that I need A CRAP TON of study with perspectives. I can't wrap my head around a lot of them (although I haven't really tried).

(My computer has been acting weird with the directional orientation of pictures. Let me know if this one is rotated on its side.)

5686c707081ff_noreferencepractice2.thumb

Pretty sure that's the first time I've ever drawn Shadow. It's pitiful how seldom I've ever depicted a Sonic character. Thankfully, they tend to be simple, and I've studied their looks for most of my life.

• Thumbs Up 3

On August 17, 2015 at 6:11 AM, JohnTheDreamer said:

Much thanks.

A few more things now. This was actually the first thing I drew, but I forgot about it. A Tails you're more familiar with.

2r7y99l.jpg

Then an early version of a female portrait. I supremely messed up the adjustments, so I'd rather show this until I can get it right. That was you can see my editing process anyway.

11889473_10153228292403710_6826271312968

And now for probably my best work yet. A new character kind of materialized out of my mind, and this is also my first attempt at actual shading during these sessions. I think he's a jackal.

35aocat.jpg

The train has left Station Square.

This an original character? I missed this the first time. I like design too! but is he wearing some kind half shirt?

EDIT - He is original. Very cool

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, RappedinBlacX said:

This an original character? I missed this the first time. I like design too! but is he wearing some kind half shirt?

EDIT - He is original. Very cool

Yes! Thanks! I was just messing around with accessories, and I gave him upper arm sleeves. He's a jackal, I believe. (I should actually look a a jackal next time.)

Here's one out of two things I doodled in the 45 minutes before a recent flight of mine landed. Not based on anyone in particular.

568751a744407_airplanesketch2rotate.thum

• Thumbs Up 3

Another male anatomy study with Chase; no reference used. Also a study of lighting and shading. This took much, much longer than I would have liked (an hour+), but it actually shows a great deal of promise.

568c18db9b688_chaseanatomyshading.thumb.

Still ironing out this kid's final design. His personality is such a hard thing to capture...I can picture it, but putting it on paper correctly is another story.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought about sharing more panel previews, but maybe it's time to wait until I release the first chapter.

For now, here's the other thing I sketched on the airplane. Again, not based on anything in particular.

569037bd7e467_airplanesketch1.thumb.jpg.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to include Sally in my world, so it's time to get in some practice. I think I'm going to start her off in her nostalgic look from Archie.

EDIT: It's funny how you can be totally okay with a piece of artwork at first, then come back and absolutely DESPISE it...hasn't happened to me as often as it used to. But I hate this now. lol

56abb39c815e1_sallyeh.thumb.JPG.c8ddbc20

• Thumbs Up 2