Awoo.

Nickelodeon Animation Discussion

ElectricAngel

That's.. that's an actual quote. Nickelodeon stands by that. But erm, *ahem* I shouldn't be starting off this thread negatively. For this is a thread where all the general Nickelodeon news will be going, in terms of the animation part, that is. Part of the reason I'm making this thread is, because I've been out of the loop when it comes to Nickelodeon, always finding out their "new" stuff months later due to me not really researching or following them much. But that's going to change thanks to this thread. And now you too can learn about everything new from Nickelodeon Animation Studio. *cue logo*

RMCsIIL.png

*angelic choir* It's a nice logo, I must admit. So let's get this thread kicked off with some current and upcoming cartoons.

Current cartoons:

-Spongebob Squarepants

W1U7v6s.png

-The Fairly OddParents

gdvbq4K.png

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

f4Yao0v.png

-Sanjay and Craig

kuOdzQf.jpg

-Breadwinners

cqLJ5PA.png

-Harvey Beaks

mJ9n8cm.jpg

-Pig Goat Banana Cricket

fHgNe8B.png

Upcoming cartoons:

-The Loud House

mw9FZw3m.jpg

-Pinky Malinky

R3en0sm.jpg

So this thread will basically be a portal of sorts to everything related to Nickelodeon Animation Studio, NAS for short. From news, to concept art, anything really. Right now, the most recent thing to pop up is the newly announced series, Pinky Malinky. Nickelodeon has ordered 20 episodes and we got a screenshot of the main crew, as well as a video preview. From what I got, the series will be a form of shorts and they will premiere online. Here's a quote:

rkdrCC8.jpg

Pinky Malinky will offer original short form videos and content that will be produced in conjunction with the series for various social media platforms,” said Russell Hicks, Nickelodeon’s president of content development and production. “In this fast-paced digital age, the online extensions in this brand-new series are another example of how Nickelodeon meets the needs of our kids who want to access content anytime and everywhere.”

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nickelodeon-greenlights-social-media-inspired-816335 

The show looks alright to me. The animation reminds me of Breadwinners and I'm a bit concerned with that, but so far it doesn't seem overly gross or tryhard. It could be a nice show. 

Moving on to some really important news, Nickelodeon will be opening a new animation studio in Burbank sometime in late 2016.

What's interesting is, it will be open to the public. Now, I'm not sure if it will have actual people working there or if it will be a sort of replica, but I'm interested. If it's open to the public, I assume they'll have stuff like tours or reservations. Just something to regulate traffic.

Now, I know a lot of people don't like the current Nickelodeon much (myself included) but I felt like making this thread because they still are a very interesting company to me. And I do want to keep you guys informed on what's going on, despite my mostly negative reactions. From what I've seen, Nickelodeon's animation department is aware of their legacy and how important their past shows were to their success. So, it is a little comforting seeing that and it gives me a bit of hope that perhaps something good might come in the future. People have been liking Harvey Beaks so far, and that's great. I can only hope they continue this effort and try and make some modern classics.  

Also, for reference, here are some handy links:

NAS Homepage

NAS Twitter

NAS Tumblr

NAS YouTube

It's just too bad the only two good shows they have right now is TMNT 2012 and Harvey Beaks. Rest is complete crap.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fairly Odd Parents is still running?

Yeah, but extremely slowly. Nick's more interested in making terrible live action movies rather than episodes.

Yup, it recently got renewed for a 10th season. And there's a new character as well, named Chloe. Looks like she might be a significant addition, too. 

1tnKo7q.jpg

This promo image was released around a week ago. Yeahhh. We'll see how it goes. 

Are you fucking serious Nick? You are really going to add even more characters?! Are you seriously that fucking desperate?! 

Fairly Odd Parents has gone downhill somewhere before the 3rd Timmy/Jimmy power hour and when they introduced poof. The characters were flanderized to the extreme, Timmy was  jerk for no reason and the running gags in each episode got worse. When they introduced poof the show had a greater focus on him and for some stupid reason Timmy's dad. And do not get me started on Sparky that stupid useless poor excuse of a character. Did I mention the whole "Timmy's fairies are meant to be a secret thing" feel forgotten since nobody has an inside voice anymore, it's clearly obvious that crocker know's who Timmy's fairies are and not to mention that Vicky knows about cosmo and wanda as well and for some reason Chester, AJ, Tootie and the rest of Timmy's friends seem to have disappeared. This show is a shell of it's former self and it should of ended years ago

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you fucking serious Nick? You are really going to add even more characters?! Are you seriously that fucking desperate?! 

Well they are running out of ideas...you can't run around Timmy, Wanda and Cosmo forever...

I always thought Poof was a good addition, Sparky not so much...

Chloe is gonna be a huge addition though. She's sharing Wanda, Poof and Cosmo with Timmy. Because of this, there maybe some Chloe + Fairies episodes.

Well they are running out of ideas...you can't run around Timmy, Wanda and Cosmo forever... I always thought Poof was a good addition, Sparky not so much... Chloe is gonna be a huge addition though. She's sharing Wanda, Poof and Cosmo with Timmy. Because of this, there maybe some Chloe + Fairies episodes.

I like Poof but I can't fucking stand Sparky. Can someone clarify? Is Chloe being shipped with Timmy or is she a new godparent or what? I don't understand her role here.

I like Poof but I can't fucking stand Sparky. Can someone clarify? Is Chloe being shipped with Timmy or is she a new godparent or what? I don't understand her role here.

Apperently she's going to share Timmy's fairies with him.

She is basically the female Timmy. She makes the wishes and the fairies grant the wish. As I said, she is the new kid sharing the same fairies with Timmy. How did this happen? We will have to wait and see.

What bugged me a bit is how they responded to fan criticism. They posted a rather.. ignorant thing on their Tumblr and Twitter, kinda like the stuff they did with Korra, but deleted it shortly afterwards. Apparently. I didn't see it, but people have been saying it and I do believe them a bit. Whoever runs the social media channels isn't doing a good job keeping the fans happy. It's almost like a Teen Titans Go scenario here.

VKs7WSn.png

Source: http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/fairly-odd-parents-season-10-news-discussion-thread.5456101/page-14 

As for what Chloe is supposed to do.. I have no idea. They've been incredibly vague on it, but from the promo images it seems she will be sharing fairies with Timmy... somehow. At this point the show has ignored already established rules too many times for me to care. :L

She is basically the female Timmy. She makes the wishes and the fairies grant the wish. As I said, she is the new kid sharing the same fairies with Timmy. How did this happen? We will have to wait and see.

...That sounds like one of the silliest ideas I've heard from the series. Then again, they've already said fuck it to the other rules that's been established in the series so why the fuck not I guess?

...That sounds like one of the silliest ideas I've heard from the series. Then again, they've already said fuck it to the other rules that's been established in the series so why the fuck not I guess?

Really? Why is it silly? There will be teamwork episodes between Timmy and Chloe, not to mention fights too which could split the fairies up and stuff...

Sparky really adds nothing to the series (not to mention a horrible voice) but Chloe has potential to revive the dead series.

Really? Why is it silly? There will be teamwork episodes between Timmy and Chloe, not to mention fights too which could split the fairies up and stuff...

Sparky really adds nothing to the series (not to mention a horrible voice) but Chloe has potential to revive the dead series.

I'm not sure about Ryan, but I'm not too optimistic on this new season. Chloe.. is just there for me right now. I don't think she has as much potential as you say. After some of the boring, annoying, stupid, and sometimes offensive episodes we got in season 9, I'm not seeing how it could get better with the current writers. Considering they're now just ignoring characters that were once protagonists doesn't help either. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It sounds silly because it's never once been established that a child must share their fairy odd parents with another child. The exception was one episode where Timmy loaned his Fairy Odd Parents to Tootie and that was it. There's no reasoning behind it, Fairy World is a massive place so it makes absolutely no sense that two kids would have to share one set of Fairy Odd Parents. As for her potential, I don't think she has as much as you say. Could she possibly add something? Maybe. But all I kind of see is another character who looks like she's gonna be a Fem!Timmy and nothing else.

• Thumbs Up 6

It sounds silly because it's never once been established that a child must share their fairy odd parents with another child. The exception was one episode where Timmy loaned his Fairy Odd Parents to Tootie and that was it. There's no reasoning behind it, Fairy World is a massive place so it makes absolutely no sense that two kids would have to share one set of Fairy Odd Parents. As for her potential, I don't think she has as much as you say. Could she possibly add something? Maybe. But all I kind of see is another character who looks like she's gonna be a Fem!Timmy and nothing else.

Have you read Da Rules from page 1 to its last page? Has any episode discussed every rule listed in that book? Timmy will have most likely broke a specific rule that Jordan will say to him and as punishment from then on, share fairies.

Timmy's a boy, Chloe's a girl, they will not be the same as girls in the series have a complete different tastes to the boys. That's why I said there is bound to be some conflict between Timmy and Chloe.

Have you read Da Rules from page 1 to its last page? Has any episode discussed every rule listed in that book? Timmy will have most likely broke a specific rule that Jordan will say to him and as punishment from then on, share fairies.

Timmy's a boy, Chloe's a girl, they will not be the same as girls in the series have a complete different tastes to the boys. That's why I said there is bound to be some conflict between Timmy and Chloe.

I'm not saying there won't be conflict. I'm saying can the conflict be done right? The current writers of Fairy Odd Parents aren't exactly well known for giving characters non sterotype personalities. Season 9's Finding Emo was one of the biggest examples of that. I want to believe Fairy Odd Parents can be good again. I love Seasons 1-5. I'll even argue Season 6 was good as well. I love Channel Chasers, and such, but after Finding Emo, Sparky, and everything else, I need some kind of proof, some kind of quality to prove these writers can do something well with this new character. Can it work? Yes, It can. Can it be entertaining? If done right, it definitely can.

If they want a guideline, they should be trying to aim it more towards The Boy who would be Queen, rather than Love Struck.

• Thumbs Up 2

Correct me if I'm probably wrong, but didn't the press release describe Chloe as some sort of straight-A student everyone loves? Which more or less goes against the entire point of having godparents in the first place-the children are supposed to be miserable in order to qualify for having godparents. Even Timmy's rival Remy Bucksaplenty, despite being part of a rich family, was miserable because he had parents who never spent time with him, which is why he ended up having Wandisimo as a godparent (though as Timmy pointed out, he's still miserable for some reason despite this...). Why exactly would Chloe not only be qualified for godparent status if she's academically successful and gets attention for it, but also have to be put in a stipulation never even mentioned until now that she would have to sharing godparents with another kid?

Edited by Gabe

The way you describe her makes her sound like a Mary Sue tbh. Unless it turns out she has a deep psychosis that makes her completely insane/turns out her home life is extremely bad, this is just throwing Da Rules out the window.

I don't know, those things don't necessarily make one "not miserable" I mean maybe her parents push her too hard, or maybe she doesn't have fun very often leading to an uptight personality, maybe............ I don't know, but the possibilities are there, even for a show this simple. 

The way you describe her makes her sound like a Mary Sue tbh. Unless it turns out she has a deep psychosis that makes her completely insane/turns out her home life is extremely bad, this is just throwing Da Rules out the window.

-Vicky having Foop as a Fairy GodParent despite being over 18

-Crocker sees Timmy using his fairies multiple times

-Sparky being the magical pet of adults despite being a fairy dog

And so many other times. Da Rules have been tore apart, thrown in the toilet, dried off, thrown out a window, burned to a crisp, and just shit on at this point. Da Rules might as well just be erased from the Fairy Odd Parents canon.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer
  • Thumbs Up 1

I honestly can't stand any of Nick's cartoons nowadays. A few of CN's are funny IMO, like Adventure Time. Not all funny, but tolerable. But Nick went 90° downhill. Today's cartoon are just as retarded as they were in the early 2000, but in the wrong way. They are executed poorly, like, most of the times there's no clear ending or a reason for the character's action, it's like the writers just decided it "because it's stupidity, therefore it's funny". Old cartoons had that, but in the end, it was funny without insulting you, and even "curiously" taught a lesson. New cartoons also rely more often than never on pop culture references and forced humor, which makes you feel stupid just for watching, and when it's over, it leaves a blank... Sadly lots of good cartoons went that road, and good thing some were killed early, like Billy and Mandy. Fairly Oddparents is on that road long enough... It's mostly Nick's cartoons tho, like Sponge Bob too. All in all, none of them will ever come close to beat theirs OWN classics.

Clearly Nick isn't very popular among the internet/adults anymore, but I'm curious, is it still pretty popular with the kiddies?

-Vicky having Foop as a Fairy GodParent despite being over 18

-Crocker sees Timmy using his fairies multiple times

-Sparky being the magical pet of adults despite being a fairy dog

And so many other times. Da Rules have been tore apart, thrown in the toilet, dried off, thrown out a window, burned to a crisp, and just shit on at this point. Da Rules might as well just be erased from the Fairy Odd Parents canon.

And don't forgot how they pretty much retconned Crocker's backstory from, a nice young boy who lost his fairies, to a kid version of Crocker that had his fairies taken by Jordan all because he turned eleven. Continuity, what's that?!