Awoo.

Nickelodeon Animation Discussion

ElectricAngel

Clearly Nick isn't very popular among the internet/adults anymore, but I'm curious, is it still pretty popular with the kiddies?

The recent news concerning Nickelodeon is how its ad revenue and kids programming are in decline with their ratings dropping in double digits among the target demographic on Nielsen system.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/09/nickelodeon-continues-slide-in-kids-programming/

Heck, Viacom as a whole is suffering a ratings plummet with MTV and Comedy Central and other affiliates too.

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-viacom-mtv-sumner-redstone/

Edited by AdventChild
  • Thumbs Up 2

-Vicky having Foop as a Fairy GodParent despite being over 18

-Crocker sees Timmy using his fairies multiple times

-Sparky being the magical pet of adults despite being a fairy dog

And so many other times. Da Rules have been tore apart, thrown in the toilet, dried off, thrown out a window, burned to a crisp, and just shit on at this point. Da Rules might as well just be erased from the Fairy Odd Parents canon.

Actually Vicky is 16.

Another thing I forgot to mention remember Mark's little story arc about running away from his Fiancé? Turns out she never really loved him and her plan was just to marry him so she can take over his home planet. The episode would of interested me more but they did years after Mark became irrelevant.  

You know what would be a bold and awesome move that would completely change FOP, for better or for worse?  Instead of having Chloe share godparents with Timmy, what if Timmy grew up and was replaced by Chloe?  It might be good, it might be bad.  But if Chloe is a distinguishable enough character, it could at least shake up the status quo just a little bit and may provide some new material.  Everything about FOP lately is either retreading on old ideas but with the inclusion of new characters or introducing a series of lame gags and constant self-parodic humor to the point where its self-awareness is no longer charming.  I'd love to see them take the series in a whole new direction with a new stage for unique character dynamics.  But that's never, ever going to happen.

Edited by Tara

Actually Vicky is 16.

Another thing I forgot to mention remember Mark's little story arc about running away from his Fiancé? Turns out she never really loved him and her plan was just to marry him so she can take over his home planet. The episode would of interested me more but they did years after Mark became irrelevant.  

I honestly forgot Mark existed. Wow.. And I don't recall that episode. What season was it in?

The recent news concerning Nickelodeon is how its ad revenue and kids programming are in decline with their ratings dropping in double digits among the target demographic on Nielsen system.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/09/nickelodeon-continues-slide-in-kids-programming/

Heck, Viacom as a whole is suffering a ratings plummet with MTV and Comedy Central and other affiliates too.

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-viacom-mtv-sumner-redstone/

This goes to show that kids indeed won't just watch anything. Even they have standards. Heck, I was a very picky kid and only liked a few Nickelodeon shows way back when. I feel Nickelodeon is slowly waking up though. Afar from trying to push Sanjay and Caig, and Breadwinners with the new Nickelodeon magazine, they've started hiring new talent. It's good that as of late they are open to new ideas and creators, but they need to be careful with what they pick. 

The best thing I can say about Nickelodeon right now is, that they are at least open to new talent, and they are aware of their situation. I have a feeling there might be a small restructure soon. With the new animation studio opening up, and the soon to be celebration of 25 years of original animation, I have a small feeling of hope for them. Perhaps they can start to slowly make a change. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly forgot Mark existed. Wow.. And I don't recall that episode. What season was it in?

This goes to show that kids indeed won't just watch anything. Even they have standards. Heck, I was a very picky kid and only liked a few Nickelodeon shows way back when. I feel Nickelodeon is slowly waking up though. Afar from trying to push Sanjay and Caig, and Breadwinners with the new Nickelodeon magazine, they've started hiring new talent. It's good that as of late they are open to new ideas and creators, but they need to be careful with what they pick. 

The best thing I can say about Nickelodeon right now is, that they are at least open to new talent, and they are aware of their situation. I have a feeling there might be a small restructure soon. With the new animation studio opening up, and the soon to be celebration of 25 years of original animation, I have a small feeling of hope for them. Perhaps they can start to slowly make a change. 

It was season 6 the episode was called "King Chang".

As for Nick I really hope that they improve with their quality since the channel hasn't been the same for me for a while now. The only thing I watch on that channel is TMNT and whatever they show at nick at nite. 

At this point, it's too little too late. Cartoon Network and Disney have long since gotten their heads out of their asses, and began offering good content for kids. Adventure Time, Gumball, Sonic Boom, Star Wars Rebels, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, and Star Vs The Forces of Evil are only just a few of the great stuff they've been offering. Nick on the other hand screwed over Korra and TMNT multiple times with idiotic long breaks, and Korra's move to online, and giving the shit like Breadwinners the special treatment.

• Thumbs Up 2

At this point, it's too little too late. Cartoon Network and Disney have long since gotten their heads out of their asses, and began offering good content for kids. Adventure Time, Gumball, Sonic Boom, Star Wars Rebels, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, and Star Vs The Forces of Evil are only just a few of the great stuff they've been offering. Nick on the other hand screwed over Korra and TMNT multiple times with idiotic long breaks, and Korra's move to online, and giving the shit like Breadwinners the special treatment.

I wouldn't say it's too late. Just because they now have a lot of bad stuff, doesn't mean it will continue. If Harvey Beaks and the return of Stephen Hillenburg for Spongebob are happening, there's someone there who knows there's a call for quality needed. The ratings will either decline and eventually have the network shut down, or they put actual effort into their stuff to try and keep themselves on air and with money in their pockets. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Okay, I'm a little late on this but we got some more news on this Chloe character that's set to appear in The Farily OddParents. She's going to be voiced by Kari Wahlgren, most notably known for her roles like Suzy from Phineas and Ferb, and Tigress from Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness. We have a short Vine of her with her Chloe voice and.. oh boy. It takes me back to when Sticks' voice from Sonic Boom was first revealed. It sounds annoying. I really hope she won't be a typical annoying girl character. Because if she's set to be a new addition to the main cast, then I'll get annoyed really quickly. 

Edit: After scouring the Twitternets even more I found an article on the news which includes a storyboard image for a season 10 episode.

fairly-oddparents-season-10-ten-episode-

Look! It's Dark Laser!! They actually remembered a character for once! It's been, what, 4 seasons now since he last appeared? Hopefully more of the cast will be returning, even if it's just for one episode.

Edited by ElectricAngel

Didn't Darth Laser appear in Season 9 for that episode where all the villains team up on Timmy? I can't really remember (because the only episode I can remember from Season 9 was that piece of shit called Timmy's Secret Wish).

So even in voice she's basically a female Timmy?

Like, with an unpleasantly high pitched rasp to boot?

Amazing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay ignoring the idea behind chloe herself (which I don't even know anyway) am I the only one who didn't really hate that voice? I mean I don't exactly like it either, but It didn't really bother me in the slightest to hear it. It might annoy me more on the show. But for now it's just kinda there. Mind you I've been watching Fairly odd parents again recently (from old to new, i'm on season 2 at the moment) and I actually can tolerate and like Timmy's voice, whereas when I heard it recently from current season I couldn't stand it. Apparently it's the same actor so I don't really know what happened. Chloe might be worse to me in show than she is here. 

i just did a quick WIKI search on the character 

"Chloe Carmichael is an enthusiastic, funny and over-achieving little girl who Timmy will have to share his fairies with. She's also Timmy's new neighbor" 

Enthusiastic huh? Yea in that case that voice will probably begin to grate on me. 

It's not uncommon for voice actors to change their approach to a character after a few years, and it seems especially common in Nick cartoons for the character's approach to emphasize the more obnoxious factors of their personality.  SpongeBob's voice has been increasingly higher pitched lately, as well.

It's not uncommon for voice actors to change their approach to a character after a few years, and it seems especially common in Nick cartoons for the character's approach to emphasize the more obnoxious factors of their personality.  SpongeBob's voice has been increasingly higher pitched lately, as well.

That's a good point, but It's been years since I've looked at spongebob too. But man timmy's voice annoys me now. Also looking back at timmy now (the older episodes) and with the current episodes, I don't know what it is but something feels............................ different about him as a character, though I'm not entirely sure what is is yet. 

Didn't Darth Laser appear in Season 9 for that episode where all the villains team up on Timmy? I can't really remember (because the only episode I can remember from Season 9 was that piece of shit called Timmy's Secret Wish).

Yep, you're correct. But he didn't do much at all. That's not all though.

What happened to Trixie? Chip Skylark? Tootie? (bar the live action movies), Juandissimo? Princess Mandie? Crimson Chin? (I know he appeared in that Secret Wish episode for a *minute!*) Dr. Bender? Anti-Cosmo & Wanda? (Yet we see a lot of Foop) The Pixies? Francis? Britney Britney? I can go on...

Where are these characters? Yet they bring in Sparky, no one wants Sparky!

There are a lot of good stories they can still tell with the cast of past interesting characters they have, but they aren't using them anymore. Chester and AJ we barely see either.

EDIT: The writers are obviously looking that they ran out of ideas, but that's because they use the same people. Over, and over, and OVER. Vicky, Crocker, Foop, Chet. Ubetcha, Mr and Mrs. Turner stick out like a sore thumb in today's episodes. Also they bring out one time episode characters that are boring and predictable. Stop it! The FOP universe has a lot more to offer, but the writers seem narrow-minded.

I mean, did we *ever* see Anti-Cosmo, Anti-Wanda and Foop team up to defeat Timmy and his fairies? Like ever? Can the antis find an Anti-Timmy so Timmy can battle against his anti-side? I mean come on! I want something like this!

(P.S I miss The Pixies and their raps! XD)

• Thumbs Up 2

O-kay... So, that Spongebob Broadway Musical.. Remember when that was announced? We got more info on it. It's set to premiere in 2016 from June 7th to July 3rd at Chicago's Oriental Theatre. I have to say I'm intrigued. But seeing as most Broadway Musicals have the voices changed, I'm not sure how well this will go... Buuut. Panic at the Disco will be making a song for it.. Whew, this is gonna be really weird. Well anyway, full article's here:

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea AND is coming to Broadway?SpongeBob Squarepants! The pop culture phenomenon based on the Nickelodeon television show, which earlier this year spawned a feature film, will make its world premiere stage debut in 2016 at Broadway in Chicago’s Oriental Theatre. The production will run as a limited engagement from June 7-July 3, with a planned Broadway opening in the 2016-2017 season.

Directed and co-conceived by Tina Landau with a book by Kyle Jarrow and music supervision by Tom Kitt, the “one of a kind musical event” will feature original songs by prominent musicians, including Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler and Joe Perry, Jonathon Coulton, Dirty Projectors, The Flaming Lips, John Legend, Lady Antebellum, Cyndi Lauper, Panic! At the Disco, Plain White T’s and They Might Be Giants. David Bowie will contribute an additional song, as well.

“I was drawn to this project not only for its wild theatrical possibility, but also because I felt SpongeBob, at its core, is a layered and hilarious ensemble comedy,” Landau said in a press statement. “SpongeBob himself is of course its center and beating heart — the eternal innocent in a sea of cynics. He’s also the classic underdog hero, and so our production sets him on a hero’s journey with real stakes, all the while retaining the show’s trippy humor and irreverence. We’re taking our leads from the TV show but this is an original story, with an original design approach, and original songs written just for the occasion by an amazing array of songwriters. We will present the world of Bikini Bottom and its characters in a whole new way that can only be achieved in the live medium of the theatre. We’re bringing the show’s fabled characters to life through actors — not prosthetics or costumes that hide them — and we’re deploying some unconventional stage craft that will prove thatanything can happen in Bikini Bottom.”

“SpongeBob long ago transcended the TV screen to become a pop culture icon inspiring everyone from kids and families to artists and musicians, pro athletes, movie stars, fashion designers, social media mavens and even the President,” added Cyma Zarghami, President of Viacom Kids and Family Group. “This character has achieved a level of global popularity that we could never have imagined, and bringing him to Broadway is a way to give him a new platform, literally, to reach audiences of all ages who are looking for an engaging, funny and innovative musical theatre experience.” 

News of a SpongeBob musical first broke at Nickelodeon’s Upfront presentation in February. According to the press release, the show is “a rousing tale of a simple sea sponge who faces the unfathomable” and “a celebration of unbridled hope, unexpected heroes, and pure theatrical invention.”

“We decided early on that we would only bring SpongeBob to Broadway if we could find someone with a wholly unique take on these beloved characters. When we met Tina, we immediately understood that her vision would not only live up to the expectations of both fans and new audiences, but also to the high-level of artistry and professionalism that are the hallmarks of Broadway. The innovation she is bringing to the staging is matched with an equally fun and surprising set of original songs we’ve culled from a dream team of SpongeBob fans who happen to be top-flight musical artists, like David Bowie, John Legend, Cyndi Lauper Lady Antebellum and T.I.,” stated Russell Hicks, Nickelodeon’s President of Content Development and Production.

Casting for The SpongeBob Musical will be announced at a later date.

Source: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/31/spongebob-musical-chicago-broadway?hootPostID=f0d1343255028fa7385ebd3d9e0dbd96 

Edited by ElectricAngel

Fun fact: Spongebob already had a musical based on The Sponge Who Could Fly a few years back. I remember seeing ads for it running on Nick UK and Nicktoons UK.

Well guys it looks like some old shows like Rugrats and Hey Arnold might get rebooted.

I don't really mind if they reboot Rugrats to be honest but I will be super pissed off if they rebooted Hey Arnold. Mainly because I think it would be a lot better if they just make the jungle movie that practically every one has been asking them to make for the past decade so we can finally have a sense of closure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Surprised Nick execs want to bring back Rugrats, considering that they undermined it during the early-mid 2000s, when SpongeBob popularity was starting to overrun the company wholesale. They don't even acknowledge the show anymore nowadays. If they do reboot it, I wonder if it will be with Klasky Csupo (or at least, what's left of them).

And rebooting Hey Arnold, when people (including the creator himself IIRC) still to this day express interest about seeing the series get the closure it never got of Arnold finding his parents (that Jungle Movie that was in the works was supposed to address that, but it seems it got canned)? That just seems like a backdraft waiting to happen.

Rugrats and Hey Arnold! are actually doing pretty good on TeenNick's nostalgia block, from what I know, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd want to cash in on our nostalgia on their main channel as well.  But I'm skeptical of the quality for a variety of reasons.  For one, these shows are literally my childhood, so I'm naturally going to be biased, but under Nick's current direction, I really don't have much faith when they use terms like "in a fresh new way."  Additionally, Rugrats was already in a state of decline towards the end of its run time, so I don't see how modern Nick could ever pull it out of that aside from just hoping for nostalgia to sell the show on its own.

I'll give it a chance, assuming they actually decide to go through with it, but I'm not going to actively seek it out.

• Thumbs Up 2

It sucks that the Nickelodeon in my country doesn't air the old Klasky Csupo Nicktoons in a separate block. Rocket Power, CatDog and Hey Arnold! were my favorites... Not that I have a lot of free time in my hands to sit down and watch it, but still, Nick should have it's own "Tooncast" or "Boomerang" to air their old shows 24-7. In any case, rebooting Arnold without proper ending it would make 99.99% of the fans, including myself, pissed. I really hope Nick re think that decision.

Well guys it looks like some old shows like Rugrats and Hey Arnold might get rebooted.

I don't really mind if they reboot Rugrats to be honest but I will be super pissed off if they rebooted Hey Arnold. Mainly because I think it would be a lot better if they just make the jungle movie that practically every one has been asking them to make for the past decade so we can finally have a sense of closure.

So this is what they might have meant by the 20th anniversary celebration of original cartoons.. Maybe. Might have meant. Emphasis on might. I wouldn't mind seeing a few brought back, though truth be told the only Nicktoons I've watched a lot of and liked from the 90s are Angry Beavers and Rocko's Modern Life. I'm only recently getting into Ren and Stimpy, and Doug could be fine too. I liked the Disney version, so I imagine I'd like the Nickelodeon one too. As for the Klasky Csupo ones (wow what a weird name.. it hurts to try and pronounce it) I never found much appeal. Rugrats at times was cute, but everything else? Eh..

Still, I'm glad something's going on behind the scenes. I told you guys they were aware and actually trying as of late. :U 

They are copying what Cartoon Network are doing with them bringing back The Powerpuff Girls. The Powerpuff Girls, as long they stick to the original formula will fit great with television even today.

Monkey see, monkey do. When these returning shows air, we must support it somehow so Disney can copy and bring back their old shows too.

And chuck out Breadwinners and Dog with a Blog while you're at it. Especially that toxic show, Breadwinners.

Edited by Ming Ming Yuigahama

They are copying what Cartoon Network are doing with them bringing back The Powerpuff Girls. The Powerpuff Girls, as long they stick to the original formula will fit great with television even today. Monkey see, monkey do. When these returning shows air, we must support it somehow so Disney can copy and bring back their old shows too. And chuck out Breadwinners and Dog with a Blog while you're at it.

Let's be totally honest. Powerpuff Girls, even if sticking to the original formula still got stale after a while, to the point where Seasons 5 & 6 had gone through so much seasonal rot that we got bad episodes like Girls Gone Mild and Sunscream. It isn't as easy as following the original concept and hoping for the best. Actual care and effort needs to be put in and general thought needs to be in there to say ''what else can we do with these characters''. 

I quite honestly would consider a Hey Arnold reboot as a total insult due to how long fans have been waiting for the final conclusion to the series with The Jungle Movie. A movie that was fucked up by Nick alone because they wanted a generic ''Hey Arnold saves the Neighbourhood'' movie and put down stupid restrictions on the creator, causing him to leave altogether. Even worse? Animation leaked of the Jungle Movie. Putting it simply, it was at a point where Animation was fully completed and there was Voice Acting done, so The Jungle Movie was clearly far in development.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer