Awoo.

Nickelodeon Animation Discussion

ElectricAngel

48 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

At least I can tell it was made with actual effort and love by the crew and cast. They do their research and put new spins on familiar stories and characters, which I (usually) like. IMO, it's better that it has any right to be. 

Oh, I mean, it's a fine show.  I've been meaning to marathon in it (watching the episodes in production order, not in air date order) for awhile now.  It's not perfect, but it generally hits all the right beats.

But if you hoped it would be like, say, an animated version of the DuckTales Remastered game, then... well, you'll be quite disappointed to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Tara said:

Oh, I mean, it's a fine show.  I've been meaning to marathon in it (watching the episodes in production order, not in air date order) for awhile now.  It's not perfect, but it generally hits all the right beats.

But if you hoped it would be like, say, an animated version of the DuckTales Remastered game, then... well, you'll be quite disappointed to say the least.

I did want something like that initially, but after the first half of the season, I'm glad we got this. It's generally agreed from what I've seen is that it's at least on par with the original. The original is timeless, but a new spin on things ended up for the better IMO (for most things, at least).

Interesting that they changed up Heffer's expression upon returning home a bit after the preview clip from forever ago. So excited for this! 😁

Wackier animation aside, it's as if Rocko never left. The humor, the voice acting, the wacky music and sound effects...everything that made Rocko Rocko is still there. Kudos to Joe Murray and his crew. They still got it.

Zim doesn't really have much to go on since all we've really seen is a few random scenes with no voices and Zim laughing inside a toilet, but I'm sure it'll be great too.

Really, between these two revivals, Hey Arnold, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and even to a lesser extent All That, Nick hasn't made a bad revival yet.

*watches Zim trailer, immediately puts on eyeliner and Gir t-shirt*

In all seriousness these both look good. But god my nostalgia is getting spoiled! I wasn't as big into Rocko as I was into other stuff growing up, but I still am anticipating seeing it. I had fun with the Hey Arnold movie, my only turn off was the animation style felt off to me for whatever reason. 

• 2 weeks later...

I miss the days when Nickelodeon cartoons actually had their own artstyle. Back in the 90's, there was no mistaking a Nicktoon from a Cartoon Cartoon (aka a cartoon fron Cartoon Network). But at some point around the turn of the century Nick began appropriating the CN style of animation, to the point where nowadays there is literally nothing that differences the respective channels output. And hell, even Disney has of the past 18 years or so dropped it's own traditional style in favor of the super-stylized CN look...